Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

in the market for a new pc

DonpoohbearDonpoohbear Member UncommonPosts: 85
so I want a new pc I'm capping my budget at 2500 id like to just buy a premade from a company bc of the warranty since i don't really know much about pc hardware.   I'm looking for suggestions on companies and on any models, you guys would recommend . im honestly looking to get something that will let me play anything at max settings for the next 5 years or so 

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited November 2017
    There's no purchase that would be guaranteed to be good for 5 years because we don't really know how much tech will develop, but you should buy something like:

Processor: Look for Intel's I7-8700K, I5-8600K or I7-7700K. 8700K is the best, but it's also the most expensive. 8600K and 7700K are very close in gaming performance.

RAM: Look for at least 16GB

GPU: Look for GTX 1080 Ti, GTX 1080 or GTX 1070 Ti. 1080 Ti is the fastest. 1080 and 1070 Ti are very close to each other in performance.

SSD: At that price range you should look for computer with large SSD. Any model is good enough and fast enough for gaming needs, but the larger it is the better.

Hard disk: SSD space is expensive. If you want to have more than 1 TB of storage space, then look for a model that has HDD for storage in addition to SSD. If you're okay with 1 TB or less space then you don't need HDD at all you can just use the SSD for everything.

PSU: You can't normally decide PSU of a pre-build computer, but look for a computer where the PSU's model is told to you, not just its power. Then google for the PSU's reviews and check that it's been getting at least decent reviews.
       Different power supplies have different quality. You don't need to get top quality power supply, but try to check it to make sure it's not junk.

Case: If you've got room for it in your house, avoid small form factor cases. A good sized case has room for more reliable and effective cooling, and if you ever need to change or add parts later on it's easier if the case is good sized

I don't live in USA and don't know USA's Black Friday deals so I can't make you any good suggestions today I can only tell what to look for.

• DonpoohbearDonpoohbear Member UncommonPosts: 85
    this is very helpful =)
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited November 2017
    Check out Falcon Northwest and Origin. They will both put together a solid rig and stand behind it. You will pay for it, but your budget is sufficient to get a top notch system from one of these companies.

I put together two more or less equivalent builds that are right around your budget. All I really did for these builds was make sure the power supply wasn't utter junk and went with default on most everything else, so there's a lot of room to make changes if you wanted to. These builds will work well as they stand though, but I wouldn't go so far as to say there is no room for improvement.

I should also add - these builds are PC only. No monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. If you need all of that, they will gladly sell it to you as well, but you'll need to dial back on the hardware some in order to get those components within your budget. That, and you can likely get those components cheaper if you just purchase it yourself on Amazon or someplace similar.

Yes, you can do a lot better building yourself, but if you don't want to, or can't, I really don't fault you on that at all. Yes, you can get a lot better hardware by going someplace like CyberPower or iBuyPower, they may have the same hardware, but you have to be careful, they will also gleefully sell you something that's utter junk and laugh when you try to get it serviced.

[Deleted User]
    well the reason i want to get it from a company is how do i put it how often do pc's break like if i buy all the parts put it together what are the chances it will just break down lol.
    are amd cards any good  or should i disregard them and stick to nvidia 
    well the reason i want to get it from a company is how do i put it how often do pc's break like if i buy all the parts put it together what are the chances it will just break down lol.
    I'm not trying to advocate one way or the other, just provide some information here.

Hardware breaks, that's just a fact of life. It's pretty common when building a computer, that at least one piece of the puzzle ships DOA and you have to deal with it. When your building a PC, and a part ships DOA, it's usually a quick 5-7 day return process with the retailer so long as it is within 15 or 30 days. The manufacturer's warranty covers a much longer period, 3-5 years is typical, and some parts can go out longer, but manufacturer returns often take several weeks to process, and a good deal of paperwork to fill out.

A system builder will at least be able to say the system ran when it shipped to you, and you hope they have enough knowledge to be able to select components that are going to be (a) High Quality and (b) work well together. But it still has to ship, and there's a much higher chance of a component coming loose in shipping and getting damaged. Good system builders will package it in such a manner that it's minimized (both Falcon NW and Origin do this), but it's still a risk.

Using a pre-built or system builder adds some convenience, your warranty is all with one company. But that's usually a much shorter warranty than each individual component has, and all they are really doing is handling the manufacturer warranty for you, as they don't actually fabricate or provide anything themselves, they are just putting the package together. 

The inconvenient part about dealing with a pre-built or system builder is, when any part goes out, you often have to send the entire PC back for repair. And you are typically paying for shipping on that.

If you DIY, then you just send back the part that's broke, and often you can use a replacement, spare, or something else to keep your PC running in the mean time. But that assumes that you can figure out which part broke, and sometimes that's more of an art than a science.

Pros and cons both ways. 
    wow i didint know individual part had long warrantys i might try to build it myself then 
    Brunlin
    are amd cards any good  or should i disregard them and stick to nvidia 
    AMD's Vega cards are good enough if you can find them at competitive price to NVidia's cards, but they're usually too expensive if they're available at all.

RX 580 and other non-Vega cards are for cheaper PCs.

Right now AMD doesn't have anything that would be competitive with NVidia at high-end gaming PCs.
    RidelynnPhry

edited November 2017
    I agree with Vrika, I wouldn't disregard AMD just because of the brand name. It's all about what price your able to find them for.

Get the best performance for the price. The only downfall to Vega right now is that it's not available in AIB configurations that I know of - you either get the stock reference blower, or the stock reference water cooler. The stock blower works, but it's a blower. The water cooler is awesome, but $$$

yeah im researching parts right now and its crazy all the differences.

found a nice website to help with my search https://pcpartpicker.com/

Brunlin
    ok so i made a build looking for suggestions on how to improve it .   https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Donpoohbear/saved/XBqNNG
    edited November 2017
    FX9590 is last generation AMD, it's circa 2012 or so. You probably don't really want that.

You want to be looking for
    AMD Ryzen 5 or 7
    AMD Threadripper (high end)
    Intel 7000 series or 8000 series, Core i5 or i7

Changing the processor also means you'll need to change to a compatible motherboard and probably DDR4 RAM.

Other than that suggestion, it looks like your build would work out fine.
    ok ill look at those im wondering whats more important the cores or the speed 

edited November 2017
    ok ill look at those im wondering whats more important the cores or the speed 
    Having more CPU cores (and more threads) allows your CPU to do multiple tasks at once, but that's only useful when you're running a game that is programmed to split itself into multiple threads that can be run simultaneously. Programming a game to take good advantage of very many threads is hard, and for each core you add to the processor you'll get less and less speed advantage when running games.

Modern games normally use about 4 of the processor cores well, you'll get some advantage for getting 6, small additional advantage for getting 8, and almost no advantage for getting more cores than that.

Clock speed allows your CPU to do each task faster and it's easier stat to understand because it will always give you speed advantage. But clock speed isn't the only thing that affects how fast your CPU does a task: Intel's processor is faster than Ryzen when running at same clock speed, and Ryzen is faster than AMD's FX processors when running at same clock speed.

Processors are so complex and their speed is influenced by so many factors that you actually shouldn't try to look at numbers too much or understand everything. It's much easier to just look benchmarks and use them to make a decision. This website is good, you can compare any two processors you wish:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i5-8600K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-7-1700X/3941vs3915

If your plan is to run only a single game at a time then at your price range Intel's processors are likely your best option. If you want to multibox, or stream games, or something similar that can take advantage of huge core numbers then Ryzen 7 is good.
    RidelynnBrunlin

edited November 2017
    ok so i made a build looking for suggestions on how to improve it .   https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Donpoohbear/saved/XBqNNG

Your motherboard needs to be compatible with your processor. Your current motherboard is only for Intel 8xxx series processors. If you want to use Ryzen you need AM4 socket motherboard.

Your RAM needs to be compatible with your motherboard, so DDR4 RAM, not DDR3 RAM.

The power supply you've chose in good, but you don't need to have that much overpowered power supply. Unless you plan on buying a second graphic card and running them SLI, something like 650W or 700W should be good enough and those are much cheaper.
    BrunlinPhry

• BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
    edited November 2017
     I agree with what Vrika just said. When you choose your motherboard look for the features that you may know you will use. (IE no reason to get dual pci express slots if you never plan on running 2 cards.) Also you can go to the mobo website and get a list of Ram compatibility, it will list all the current ram being sold that will be compatible with that mobo. Also look to see if you need to flash the mobo for the cpu you plan on using. Sometimes you may get a mobo that is a little older than the newer cpu of the same socket, and for it to be compatible sometimes you need to flash the mobo. I always try to make sure that I dont have to do that. (since you may not have extra cpu to use for the flash)

There are some ins and outs when building a new pc, but overall anyone can do it. You will be proud of it after you get it done. I am envious of your 2500 dollar budget, you can do a lot more with that money by building it than having someone else build it.

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    Build ur own rig..its best if you want a pc for the next 5 years..all these premade pc sucks cua they give you a shitty motherboard and shitty ram..they just give you a decent gfx card an dthen the rest of the hardware is low quality and nerfed hardware..no w´extra gadgets or anything fast or up to date..its like they give you 1.0 hardware and add a 2.0 gfx card when you could build ur own 3,0 pc...look at this site https://pchound.com/hYNKkn/

been busy with work all this info is great and im leaning towards making my own pc it doesn't seem as daunting as i originally thought.
    pc hound is pretty nice https://pchound.com/SRNVvm/

• Jamesw30Jamesw30 Member CommonPosts: 10
    you can get high specs laptops these days, without having to buy a desktop
    Phry
  • biaxilbiaxil Member UncommonPosts: 35
     How can some of you be telling him to get a  i5? That is ridiculous. Get a top end i7 or an i9. With the rates that software are improving,  you need hardware that will hold up in the years to come.  I got an i9 so i won't have to think twice about it.  My main desktops,  both lasted me 8 years each before i decided to upgrade,  and that's because i bought top of the line hardware and treated my computers really good.  Only thing i replaced in them during that time was added ram and a new video card,  but the processors and mother boards lasted all 8 years . Both comps were from cyberpower. But on topic, i5s are already very behind... in a few years from now,  they will be dinosaurs. 
    Gdemami

Loved EQ Classic and hates that carebears had it changed.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    So, this is the process I normally go with when building a new machine. I'm in the process of saving up for a new machine at the moment as mine is fairly outdated. 

Step 1) The Processor

The processor you go for affects the motherboard which in turn affects the RAM, so I always start here. My budget has never been particularly high, so what I tend to do is set my budget for the processor (usually £100 - £150 for me) and then go look at some benchmarking scores. 

Personally, I'm an AMD man when it comes to processors. Mostly this is for ethical reasons. I believe AMD to be the better company both technically and price wise, but during the 1990s and 2000s Intel bribed most major manufacturers into using their chips in prebuilt PCs. This is the only reason Intel are the market leaders. The EU have fined Intel 1.3billion euros (the largest fine ever issued at the time) but sadly the damage is already done. 

Anyways, look at benchmarking scores for your price range. If you can afford the absolute top end then Intel are the way to go, but if you drop below the top end then AMD very quickly become competitive and once you reach the mid-tier processors, AMD are generally much better value for money. 

Step 2) The motherboard

Whatever processor you choose will set the "socket" that you need. This is the part of the motherboard that your CPU slots into, so it has to match otherwise the CPU wont fit on your motherboard. The Ryzen series uses an AM4 socket, for example, which means you have to get a motherboard with an AM4 socket. 

Once you've filtered by the correct socket, you then need to consider what the motherboard offers. I'm generally not too fussed personally, I don't fully understand the differences or where to get the extra performance. So, generally all I look for is the number of RAM slots and the max capacity of RAM, then the same for PCI-e slots. I generally look for 4 RAM slots, each with a max capacity of at least 8gb. I don't bother with SLI or Crossfire (meaning I only have 1 graphics card) so I only need 1 PCI-e slot. If you want 2 gfc cards, you'll need 2 PCI-e slots. 

You should also look at the number / type of SATA connections. Most modern motherboards have loads so it isn't an issue, but if you're planning on having a blu-ray / dvd player and multiple hard drives then you need to ensure your mobo has the connections to support them. 

Step 3) The RAM

Your processor and motherboard will determine the general category of RAM you get. Generally, this will be DDR4 RAM and your motherboard will likely support 8gb sticks. 

So, just choose what you want. I would suggest that 2x8gb DDR4 sticks will be more than enough (I only have 8gb total and never even come close to running out). The main thing you need to pay attention to is the speed of the ram, usually given as Mhz. The higher the better, but your motherboard may have a limit (e.g. your ram might be 3000mhz but if your mobo only supports 2400 mhz then you're wasting money). 

I think modern mobos are pretty forgiving if you happen to get the wrong speed, but certainly in the old days if you got the wrong speed then the ram simply wouldn't work. 

Step 4) The Graphics Card

Generally, as a gamer, always go Nvidia. Developers usually work very closely with Nvidia in order to optimise their games and Nvidia often release new drivers specifically optimised for AAA releases (e.g. they recently released a new driver to support Final Fantasy 15). That said, AMD have been steadily improving over the years, so it's really up to you.

Again, I generally base my decision on benchmarking results. Check out some sites, look at the scores and pick the best one in your price range. 

the big thing to look out for, once you've picked a GPU, is the cooling. The same GPU will be marketed by 10 different companies who all have their own casing and cooling which can dramatically affect performance and longevity. I tend to just go by reviews and trusted manufacturers but there are probably better ways to choose! My last one, I selected one as it was supposed to be "silent", but nope, if it's got a fan it'll never be silent!

Step 5) Power Supply

This is usually straight forwards. Based on your above choices just pick a power supply that will give you what you need. Make sure the power supply has the connections you need, so if you're going with 2 graphics cards in SLI setup then ensure the supply has 2 connections for graphics cards. 

Beyond correct connections, 600w+ is enough power for pretty much everything. Just make sure that it has a good rating and warranty. If you can be bothered, go for a modular power supply so that you can disconnect any unneeded cables for a really neat case at the end. 

Step 6) Case

I can never remember all the abbreviations and it always confuses me. Basically, you want a big case so that it'll fit your big motherboard and large graphics card into it. 

Once it can fit everything in, the next most important thing is air flow. Hard to test, so just look at reviews, there are plenty out there. 

If you're going for liquid cooling then also ensure that the case is big enough to fit your water cooler into it. 

Step 7) Everything else. 

The easier option is just to look at some pre-built machines, copy their specs and then try to buy the components separately and build it yourself. It removes the doubt and also lowers the price! In my experience though, most pre-built machines tend to include at least 1 "junk" component which can catch you out. 
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    edited April 2018
    Dont buy these allready finished desktop pc in the stores..cuz they are crap..they give you a decent gfx card an dthen the rest of the hardware is bullcrap cheapass skanky !...So go to a real computer store and tell em what you want inside or find a site that let you choose your own parts and let the store make it finish for you..tnen you get hardware you know what is and what is not or send me a pm. I will help you find some good hardwares for a great pc on ur budget

• LowellsandersLowellsanders Member UncommonPosts: 134
    Go for customized PC but must install FX 1080