Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR has no future anymore

Comments

• HuntrezzHuntrezz Member UncommonPosts: 92
    edited November 2017
    Speaking of facts; As recent as the October 31, 2017 during the conference call, SWTOR is mentioned as a profitable game in large part due to the cash shop with the subscription base exceeding projected expectations as listed in the full(non edited) transcript report.  Further in May 2017, during the Report to Investors, SWTOR is mentioned and its stated, the profit margin for the game exceeded expectations and further plans to generate revenue will be in place by Q2, 2018.    With the recent server merge, I have been placed on the second instance on the first four planets I played on this weekend.  Last Night, on Coruscant, second planet, I was on the 2nd instance which itself was almost full.   For a dying game, these facts sure doesn't make any sense. 

Wasn't this game supposed to be dead in 2013, or was it 2014, wait was it 2015, or maybe even 2016, possibly the end of 2017?  I guess if you keep trying each you'll eventually get it right.  
    ByrgenarHofenShodanasXxxusernametakenxxxMaurgrimGorweMrMelGibsonv_Vebartoni33klash2def
  • DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Indeed we have to wait till Q3 2018 to see the outcome of the new revenue generation motto.

Seeing BFII and how the CM is going I would not expect much content but would be delighted to be proven wrong.

Until then the game stays on a skeleton crew, low budget with paper thin "new" content based on reused assets.

Again never said the game’s dead. MMO only dies when the studio pulls the plug.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Game is not dead not even on life support, sure there are plenty of things that BW could do to SWTOR they do make slow progress, I really hope we will get a full blown expansion soon, because I'm kinda tired of these once a month chapter that takes 30min to an hour to complete.

MrMelGibson
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    DMKano said:
    Meh. 

I have lost all interest in star wars for a while now - I am just over the while franchise, not just the games. Was bored to tears with whatever that last one was with the girl who knew how to do everything and emo-vader.

There was another one that's been out and has been on HBO for a while - Force One?  or something - zero desire to watch that.

And there's a new one coming out next year? (not sure) with emo guy and girl again. 

I could be wrong about the dates - just the stuff I ovrehear from folks at work who are into it still

/shrug 

Off topic of game but responding to Kano.  You should watch Rouge One.  It is actually a really good movie, prequel to the death star or making of.  It isn't based around jedi or their story.  It is about the other people involved in the fight, the rebels.  It was done very well unlike the new trilogy which are just a rehash of the same old story as the originals just with different people.  Can agree with you the last new movie was boring as hell and you could see everything coming from a mile away cause they didn't do anything that hadn't already been done.
    Gorwe
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Deewe said:
    Don't get were you read the insider is from forum post when it's in fact people I know personally, the same that told be about a SW MMO being in development.

Now I never said SWTOR is dead, only that is has no future, more specifically no good future.

BTW would there be a roadmap filled with content rest assured, by now, BioWare would have posted it, especially if there was an XPack on the horizon.

In regards of the network I noted you did not prove there isn't network latency issue especially for the Australian players. Go check the bug reports forum and the latency spikes people are getting.

Your like thread is nice try, only that people who left, can't post on the forums.

Finally sorry to disappoint you but I haven't been banned from the forms and still have very civilized discussions there.

All in all what are you bringing in apart vague comments  insinuating false elements?

Only responding to the latency part.  It amazes me how many people want to blame games themselves for this when 90% of the time it is your ISP causing this with throttling or down connections or your connection itself.  Yes there are times when it could have something to do with the game and its coding but it is actually a rare thing in reality for a game that has been out for a while.  Hell even your own computer will cause lag spikes more often than the game itself with processing errors etc...  And I am sorry if you are living across the world trying to play on a server on the other side of the world expect issues because how many hops does your signal have to make before it reaches the server and back to you.  One of a million things can go wrong that has nothing to do with the game itself.  /rant
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    DMKano said:
    Meh. 

I have lost all interest in star wars for a while now - I am just over the while franchise, not just the games. Was bored to tears with whatever that last one was with the girl who knew how to do everything and emo-vader.

There was another one that's been out and has been on HBO for a while - Force One?  or something - zero desire to watch that.

And there's a new one coming out next year? (not sure) with emo guy and girl again. 

I could be wrong about the dates - just the stuff I ovrehear from folks at work who are into it still

/shrug 
    I thought the girl was fine but Emo Vader got to me as well.... Having a villain whinier then Lord Helmet is an odd choice. Still, no Jar-Jar is a big + in my book.

But my SW fandom have been going downwards since Phantom menace came out. I guess ToR is a fine game for soloplayers but that isn't really what I am going for myself.

I don't think we will get any large changes in direction of TOR unless EA put in their new loot boxes in it, if you love the game you will keep playing it and if you don't you won't.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    DMKano said:
    Meh. 

/shrug 

Ok.  Not sure what the films have to do with the MMO,

I haven't played the MMO for over a year myself.  Wasn't too enthralled over the KOTFE expansion and the direction the game was headed.

I'd give it another shot if they add anything to it.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    DMKano said:
    Meh. 

/shrug 

Have to agree with others, rogue one is well worth a watch, it's head and shoulders above the farce awakens(probably because jj was not involved in it). But with the exception of the han solo movie, between EA and JJ i have to agree with you on the rest of the franchise.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited November 2017
    I liked force awakens. Don't get me wrong finn's whole character and story line was beyond idiotic and the movie as a whole was a rehash of new hope but It blew the george lucas prequels out of the water. I liked emo vader cause his character made sense. He is a star wars millennial brat, I thought his light saber was cool as well. Plus how can you hate the fact Luke is back! Mark hamiil was cast along with harrison ford and the late carrie fisher how cool was it seeing them reprise their old roles.

I liked Rogue one as well, very cool spinoff looking & forward to the Han solo movie. Overall i think Disney has done a tremendous job with the star wars franchise, You'll never beat the nostalgia of the original and that goes for anything in life.

Give credit where credit is due, Star Wars is pretty dam good right now or at least better than anywhere its been since 1985
    DistopiaGorweMrMelGibson
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I also liked the new Star Wars movies a lot especially Rogue One that was exceptional.
    JeffSpicoliGorweMrMelGibsonMaurgrim

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    I remember back when all we had to discuss the (at the time unannounced ) MMO game was the old bioware forums. All we knew is that Bioware was making an MMO. All the forum regulars were talking about how it was going to be an MMO based on Mass Effect. I started talking about Star Wars, which of course annoyed the forum regulars. So the moderator told me to make a thread about "What I would like to see in a Star Wars MMO" like it was off topic some how. This so I didn't disturb the OG forums nerds and their miss guided discussions. Of course later it was announced that it was indeed an MMO based on Star Wars which after that the topics took off.

I was excited for years to play this game, when the day finally came to pre-order it I went down to Gamestop and put my money down on the collectors edition. I even played in Beta, but being limited on time due work and life I never got far enough to see what I would later come to hate about the game. The day the game launched I went down to pick my box of goodies up, came home loaded up the game in anticipation of playing the last MMO I would ever need to buy, this was it, the only Star Wars MMO I needed! I logged in and as I leveled I started to feel this was indeed not the game I was looking for. I never lasted beyond the first free Month. I've been back a few times since it has gone F2P, but never for any length of time. It should have held my interest, but I didn't know why at the time.

The stories were for the most part great, the voice acting was top notch, the art was different but acceptable; performance wise it ran fine. What I didn't like?.....The combat and leveling in general was terrible. I felt like the NPC were pretty stationary and lacked any real pathing. It was like walking through animated diorama at Disneyland; when you got close things moved but only a little and rarely from their anchor spots. I felt the maps were small and annoying to navigate and I got sick of standing in line like I was at miniature golf range waiting for my turn to interact with an item, respawn or kill a critter. All in all it felt like the themepark of all themeparks, yet even Disneyland is more open world than this place. It would have made a better and less annoying single player game to be honest. Sad the game wasn't what it could have been.

JeffSpicoliH0urg1assbartoni33
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Tiller said:
    I remember back when all we had to discuss the (at the time unannounced ) MMO game was the old bioware forums. All we knew is that Bioware was making an MMO. All the forum regulars were talking about how it was going to be an MMO based on Mass Effect. I started talking about Star Wars, which of course annoyed the forum regulars. So the moderator told me to make a thread about "What I would like to see in a Star Wars MMO" like it was off topic some how. This so I didn't disturb the OG forums nerds and their miss guided discussions. Of course later it was announced that it was indeed an MMO based on Star Wars which after that the topics took off.

I was excited for years to play this game, when the day finally came to pre-order it I went down to Gamestop and put my money down on the collectors edition. I even played in Beta, but being limited on time due work and life I never got far enough to see what I would later come to hate about the game. The day the game launched I went down to pick my box of goodies up, came home loaded up the game in anticipation of playing the last MMO I would ever need to buy, this was it, the only Star Wars MMO I needed! I logged in and as I leveled I started to feel this was indeed not the game I was looking for. I never lasted beyond the first free Month. I've been back a few times since it has gone F2P, but never for any length of time. It should have held my interest, but I didn't know why at the time.

The stories were for the most part great, the voice acting was top notch, the art was different but acceptable; performance wise it ran fine. What I didn't like?.....The combat and leveling in general was terrible. I felt like the NPC were pretty stationary and lacked any real pathing. It was like walking through animated diorama at Disneyland; when you got close things moved but only a little and rarely from their anchor spots. I felt the maps were small and annoying to navigate and I got sick of standing in line like I was at miniature golf range waiting for my turn to interact with an item, respawn or kill a critter. All in all it felt like the themepark of all themeparks, yet even Disneyland is more open world than this place. It would have made a better and less annoying single player game to be honest. Sad the game wasn't what it could have been.

My exact feelings towards SWTOR. I also had preordered a collectors edition with that stupid statue  toy which still to this day sits in my garage in that giant square box , Id sell it on ebay but shipping it would probably cost more than someone would be willing to buy it for.

Iv tried to return throughout the years and despite the fantastic story iv never been able to actually hit lvl cap with any character because playing a horrible MMO with a fantastic story is not fun .
    Tiller
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• LittyCrittiesLittyCritties Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Honestly, I'm done with being stuck in the love/hate relationship I've had with this game. The experience has been like being the battered girlfriend and always coming back to the abusive boyfriend who apologizes and promises to change, only to revert to his old ways after a few days of flowers and boxes of chocolates.

I took a 2 year break and came back a bit after 5.0 released and literally nothing changed. SWTOR is like the only MMO I know of where you could be gone for 1, 2, or even 3 years and no drastic improvements have been made. They made this game so solo-able that it's become a solo game with a chatroom and a few coop minigames.

PvP is a joke with all of the throwers, queue syncers, wintraders and backfillers running amok. Then you have tons of people getting top 3 spots for characters on accounts that they end up selling. It's all an absolute joke.

My sub ended around a week and a half ago and I don't intend to sub ever again.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    I just re-subbed a week or two ago. This game is so much fun! There is so much to do, and people everywhere. Not sure where all the hate is coming from.

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    dreamer05 said:
    I just re-subbed a week or two ago. This game is so much fun! There is so much to do, and people everywhere. Not sure where all the hate is coming from.
    You have earned the title "Necromancer" for obvious reasons . . . .

Seriously though, you can say that about any decent MMORPG that you've only been playing for a week or so. Come back in 2 months and tell us what you think. I know the game was better before they tried to make it easier. In fact, it was too easy from the start, so way to not get it Bioware!
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Hatefull said:
    Deewe said:
    Says the guy who's only posting one liners against fully developed posts backed by facts.

Please be my guest, dig into the linked post and point at all errors in it.  Starting with the network latency issue.
    Time for your yearly SWTOR is dead post, well you will get it one of these days.

Just FYI, a SWTOR forum post is not an 'inside' source. LOL! Anyway, see you next year.
    I wonder if it's the same insider that said Snoke is Mace Windu...
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    It still lives, it has a strong story-telling if they decide to push on that, people of course get derpy about the attention the title is getting.
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535
    Disney killed the movies.
    EA killed the game.

Both companies will still make money, doesn't matter what side your opinion is on. Is what it is, let the kids play ball and leave them alone.
  • dreamer05dreamer05 Member UncommonPosts: 679
    dreamer05 said:

Seriously though, you can say that about any decent MMORPG that you've only been playing for a week or so. Come back in 2 months and tell us what you think. I know the game was better before they tried to make it easier. In fact, it was too easy from the start, so way to not get it Bioware!
    Well considering previously it could only hold me attention briefly, and now I am excited to get home and play it, it is winning more points than any other MMO right now. I've played it through all of its various stages, and I'm having the most fun right now in its current state. Why that is I haven't cared to track down, but just doing the main class quests and flashpoints for grouping is much better than having to do hundreds of rinse and repeat side quests to stay caught up in levels.
    MrMelGibson

"God, please help us sinful children of Ivalice.."

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    dreamer05 said:
    dreamer05 said:

Well considering previously it could only hold me attention briefly, and now I am excited to get home and play it, it is winning more points than any other MMO right now. I've played it through all of its various stages, and I'm having the most fun right now in its current state. Why that is I haven't cared to track down, but just doing the main class quests and flashpoints for grouping is much better than having to do hundreds of rinse and repeat side quests to stay caught up in levels.
    I'm happy that you are enjoying yourself.  I revisit the game yearly for a few months and always have a great experience.  
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    dude, please shut up with all this SWTOR doom stuff it's getting old. "SWTOR is dead" posts happen every year around this time. It's corny.

I'm getting so sick of the bashing and these shit opinions about SWTOR. Play it for yourself to see how "dead" it isn't. The game is fine. People need to relax and stop spreading false info. If the game isn't your taste then say that and move on. It's far from dead. Not a perfect MMO by any means (What game is) but The future is indeed bright. Don't be fooled, they are working on the next direction.. and personally, I'm Ready for whatever they announce this year!

My biggest critique of the game has been how short the new stories are. I hate how long we wait for such a small amount of story. Hell, some of the base game side quests are longer. They know that the story is whats keeping a lot of us here so I hope they give us a lot more of that next xpac.
    CryptoCrowTinkerBellCommandoMrMelGibson
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    saying "swtor is dead" is like saying "game x is the next wow killer" as if there were a wow killer before and as if swtor is on life support. both trains of thought are proven wrong each year so it's amazing how it keeps coming back. 

you know what game is actually on life support? Wildstar.. and that sucks because I hear its a pretty good MMO game.
    MrMelGibson
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    Star Wars has gone full feminist/PC propaganda mode.
    The latest film was a disgrace !
    Screw that, I'm done with the franchise.
    GG WP Disney for totally ruining it.
    The MMO can go die as well. No tears will be shed.

BasherXHorusraklash2defAgent_JosephShaighBlaze_RockerRobsolfMrMelGibson
  • OhhPaigeyOhhPaigey Member RarePosts: 1,517
    edited January 2018
    I hate to say it but after launch, and then going F2P, SWTOR had a very short future to begin with. This was a rather slow sinking ship, but it's not surprising considering how much $$ was put into it.

Wildstar is in the same boat (no pun intended), lots of hype, didn't meet expectations.

I'm rather careful with MMOs, and what ones I decide to invest time into, which is basically just Path of Exile as of late. Hell, if I started WoW in Vanilla I'd have been playing for half of my entire life lol.
    When all is said and done, more is always said than done.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Scambug said:
    Star Wars has gone full feminist/PC propaganda mode.
    The latest film was a disgrace !
    Screw that, I'm done with the franchise.
    GG WP Disney for totally ruining it.
    The MMO can go die as well. No tears will be shed.

If a new Star Wars game ever comes it will be crappy due to Disney's destruction on the material.