Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PlayerUnknown's Battle Grounds - What did they do so right?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
What is so incredible about PUBG that it's breaking all these Steam records?  Is it that good?  Did they find some magic recipe?  Isn't the game still in early access??                                                                                                                                                                 http://steamcharts.com/top

Comments

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    It's simple , look pretty than the rest , not so fast pace , not so slow , and the marketing guys know how to make the game interest .
    When you watch them play , you know what's going on . Honestly when i watch overwatch steam , i like "what happen ? IDK"
    H1Z1 ? sony , that's all i can say , sorry .
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    What is so incredible about PUBG that it's breaking all these Steam records?  Is it that good?  Did they find some magic recipe?  Isn't the game still in early access??                                                                                                                                                                 http://steamcharts.com/top

As I understand it, the key's to it's success are:

1) Solid core gameplay - good weapons action, aiming and movement. sounds silly, but too many games have clunky core gameplay

2) Lots of players - can't remember if it is 70 players or 100 players each game, but it is more than most others. The result is increased likelihood of meeting other people and having a fight. This creates more tension. 

3) A shrinking safe zone - a common problem with these types of games is campers or not being able to find others. PUBG has a shrinking zone of safety, so over time all players are forced into the centre of the map. This, I believe, is the driving force of the success of the game as it adds a layer of intensity not found elsewhere. You cannot camp for long, you cannot hoard stuff. Eventually you will be forced into the centre and a winner will be crowned. 

4) Word of mouth - I don't think this game is anything special. The guy that created the game even agrees. However, it is a cut above its competitors and so got recommended. It eventually reached a critical mass of recommendations to be noticed by mainstream media and so it gets tons of free advertising. This is helped by honest and fair pricing, something of a rarity amongst the early access crowd. The game has reached the point where people are buying and playing it just because other people have done so. Hell, even I considered buying the game, despite the fact I don't like this type of game!

5) China - Tencent bought a stake in the company and publish it in China. This has driven sales through the roof and helped break some of the records. However, take a look at steam reviews now. Since launching in china, reviews have dropped massively due to influx of hackers, so the game may now have peaked and will slip back into the background. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    3) A shrinking safe zone - a common problem with these types of games is campers or not being able to find others. PUBG has a shrinking zone of safety, so over time all players are forced into the centre of the map. This, I believe, is the driving force of the success of the game as it adds a layer of intensity not found elsewhere. You cannot camp for long, you cannot hoard stuff. Eventually you will be forced into the centre and a winner will be crowned. 

Perfect example of how game play trumps realism.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PDFSPDFS Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Sponsored/partnered streamers were timed perfectly with the release of the game, maximum hype struck at a time when competitors were few and the audience was bored.

Success and skill are not directly linked. If you hide face down in a shed the entire round, you might still win. For the average chump who sucks at games, they can FEEL like they are elite even if they only killed one guy. Chump finds a weapon before anyone else in their dropzone and kills some unarmed enemies, chump still FEELS like a pro.

Failure is often funny instead of crushing, especially with a group. Minor successes within a round like killing an unarmed noob offsets the repeated failures of mere top 30 finishes.

It can be played with "casuals" without the typical impact having a noob in the group creates in other games like Dota.

Despite only one map, it plays almost like it was procedurally generated because of the random spread of loot, enemies, and the closing pattern of the circle. The same game is slightly different each round.
    rertez
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    edited November 2017
    Agree with Cameltosis, the  unpredictable periodic shrinking area map is finally a novel mechanic that bring new life to the over stale fps battle arena games. It forces people to move towards one onether keeping the pace of the game high right to the end, while keeping things fresh and exciting with its elements of randomness. 

The crisp fps combat makes it popular, and highly replayavle by everyone, from nube to pro.

I truly hope they can get the hacking under control quick, or it wil be the end of it.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    OK, thanks guys!  Are Chinese hackers ruining the game?  WTF, who gets satisfaction out of killing people with cheats?  What's the point of that?  Just to collect the salty tears?
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    PDFS said:

Success and skill are not directly linked. If you hide face down in a shed the entire round, you might still win. For the average chump who sucks at games, they can FEEL like they are elite even if they only killed one guy. Chump finds a weapon before anyone else in their dropzone and kills some unarmed enemies, chump still FEELS like a pro.
    So... in other words being smart is actually rewarding in this game as oppose to just being tough.

Who would've thought? lol
  • PDFSPDFS Member UncommonPosts: 13
    PDFS said:

So... in other words being smart is actually rewarding in this game as oppose to just being tough.

Who would've thought? lol
    What is "smart" about a playstyle that will lose 99/100 rounds? What is "tough" about learning advanced strategy? Either way, the game blurs the line enough that the field generally feels level (which was my point).
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I had to stop playing the game.  The hackers are numerous despite the announced bans.