Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Steam Outlines Further Changes to Combat Default Review Display Manipulation - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageSteam Outlines Further Changes to Combat Default Review Display Manipulation - MMORPG.com News

After a recent round of changes to the review system to fight "review bombing", Steam has detailed further changes coming as a result of manipulation by "a small set of users on the far extreme that are clearly trying to accomplish something quite different from normal players". In short, small groups of Steam users are marking reviews as "helpful" to push either all negative or all positive reviews to the top of the default reviews shown.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ishistishist Member UncommonPosts: 213
    Hopefully this will nip that little irritant.
    Panther2103

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I'm hoping this allows me to actually see reviews of games instead of just a bombardment of people spamming negatives with comments like LUL BAD GAME. 
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    I'm hoping this allows me to actually see reviews of games instead of just a bombardment of people spamming negatives with comments like LUL BAD GAME. 
    i always mark as unhelpful any review that says a game is good or bad without giving any explanation for saying so, such 'reviews' are utterly worthless.
    Scotcatofmany
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990
    Allowing up voting or down voting anywhere is a mistake. Reviews on steam should be from the most recent at the top to the oldest at the bottom. For most other purposes the other way round, as on this forum works better.
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Steam will make changes that help them to continue to sell downloads the quality of the game good or bad really has no bearing and neither do the opinions of ANY 'reviewer' matter to them. If they cared about anything other than making money 95% of the shit they have for sale wouldnt be on their site.
    forcelimaIosevusGolelorn
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Now, if they would fix the horrific game classification tag system.  When I choose Turn-based Strategy + Fantasy, I don't want to see MMORPGs.
    Golelorncatofmany

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2017
    Mendel said:
    Now, if they would fix the horrific game classification tag system.  When I choose Turn-based Strategy + Fantasy, I don't want to see MMORPGs.
    But it's got a round-robin loot system, so it's definitely turn-based. :D
    catofmany

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Wish they would spend some time removing the crap games from their site.  I used to love valve but over the last few years it seems all they want to focus on is making money and they lost their love and respect for the players.  Even this change is designed to bypass negative reviews and get more people to buy crap games.

I dont understand why they keep abandoned EA games like Kinetic Void, Spacebase DS-9 and StarForge on their site or complete crap like ISIS Simulator or Glitch Simulator.
    Alverant
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    These are gamers. It's the nature of gamers to figure out how to game a system. Reviews are just another problem for them to crack.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I prefer reading negative reviews over positive reviews for games I'm interested in, especially those that are very specific on what makes it a negative experience and if that correlates with my preferences I will probably avoid the game.
    GolelornTacticalZombeh
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Some of those negative reviews saying a game is garbage are true cause those games are actually garbage.

When reading reviews I'm looking to see if people mention features/flaws I choose to steer clear of not to see the praise of ultra fanboys trying to convince me to buy the game.

Also, Steam forum threads can be moderated by the developer and even deleted(looking at you Eternal Crusade) so the reviews are the only place the buyer has a chance to see honest reviews of games.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    Have been years since i purchased a game based on reviews (users or proff) , i prefer to play myself or watch gameplay
    Silverfoot
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, I am against this. I want to see reviews. Not a bunch of butt-kissing drones.

For every "Game is garbage" there is a "Game is awesome".

I have had people vote my reviews down. They only do so, because I didn't enjoy the game. People get way too butt-hurt.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Torval said:
    DMKano said:
    The whole system is pointless IMO as in many cases it is a popularity bandwagoning score not actual reviews.

They should let players review games but remove the "composite % score" showing % positive/negative.

Bottom line - this "popularity score" influences purchasing decisions as many look at it before deciding to spend money on a game, but in reality sometimes its just bandwagoning and not indicative of actual game.

I also have a concern that their algorithms affect what I see on my store feed. The reviews and comments are fine. Many detailed reviews even caveat their score and I've seen people mention they only rate up or down because Steam requires it.

Sometimes big companies need to say no even when a lot of customers ask for something. Valve needs to do something simple and practical. This sounds like an over engineered solution that gets the thumbs up on salesforce posts but will accomplish nothing.
    I believe they were going for more sales, so it will definitely help that out. But its dishonest to weed out negative reviews, imo.
    BruceYee
  • SilverfootSilverfoot Member UncommonPosts: 12

Warlyx said:

Have been years since i purchased a game based on reviews (users or proff) , i prefer to play myself or watch gameplay

Totally agree.