Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project 1999 questions ?

Comments

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    cheyane said:
    Lot of zones have wandering mobs that don't have a fixed place. For instance take West Karana I was there with my low level shaman and was happily killing some bandits and rabid grizzlys  when I noticed the place I was going to that was near the guards had a roaming werewolf that conned red so I ran off to an inn nearby and decided to meditate up there. All was fine until my son after a few cycles of me draining my mana and returning to the inn called me away from the computer. I went thinking a few minutes should be fine. 

I came back when I heard some sounds that did not sound like the inn keeper at all and to my horror I was being torn apart by the werewolf. I frantically tried to run for the door and I got stuck because he was blocking the door and I opened it but was on the back side of it unable to get out. I somehow manage to run and as I always renew my spirit of the wolf I was running like a chicken with its head cut off and got totally lost with this horror chasing me all over the zone while I looked for the small opening in between the hills to zone out into Qeynos Hills.  I ran to the guards but they weren't there or were behind the building and I was also afraid that it might kill me since I had 30 % health by the time they dispatched it. So I kept running and I stopped and healed myself and he caught me and stunned me and clawed me some more. I broke free and finally found the road and ran away and zoned.  

After I healed up and applied my 7 buffs yeah <...... shaman here reporting, I zone back in and he was close waiting for me because he was right on me again. Heavens I  was off again forgetting the zone was right behind me ...yes I panic a lot in Everquest. Finally I zoned  back out and decided to go hand in the bandit sashes and putrid skins instead of trying my luck with that abomination around.

So yes the game keeps you on your toes.
    Back when I had some imagination I used to think up stories for that werewolf after seeing it.  I think it runs to the zone point for Qeynos Hills.  That's where I saw it.

It sounds like you had a spontaneous adventure.  That is what EQ is all about.  You don't really need a quest to have exciting experiences in a game.
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited November 2017
    While out adventuring for experience, follow roads so you don't get lost. Try to stay close to guards. Use 3rd person when you're resting so you're not surprised by aggro--or use the hide skill if you have it. Watch for hills and water, or other landmarks. You need to move quick and scan your environment fast. No matter what you do, you're eventually going to die and feel frustration about something. It's not just you. We all go through this. Sometimes people powergame so hard and have played so long they don't remember what htis is like anymore, but I promise I do.

Get in a guild. YOu need friends in this MMO more than most.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
    delete5230
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited November 2017
    Ok, so far p1999 is great ! 

I'm still only level 3, and should finally get to play a lot today.  This morning a level 35 Cleric offered some tips and gave me a little coin, and showed me how friends and groups work in this game, nothing is auto so it's a big deal.  Thanks to someone here for a Druid class guide because I found NPC's that sell abilities other than my trainer.  So now I have my first casting ability. 

It's so refreshing to have to take the game so seriously even at level 3 !!!!.... And it takes a game made in 1999 to do that :) 

Question:
    "Your out of food and drink"...... what effects does being low have ?.... It doesn't seem to have any as far as I can tell, and do you only have to eat and drink one time or do you have to stack eat ? 

What level should Orc hill be done?  I'll try and get a group !..... Full group or as a duo ?

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

Question:
    "Your out of food and drink"...... what effects does being low have ?.... It doesn't seem to have any as far as I can tell, and do you only have to eat and drink one time or do you have to stack eat ? 

Check this out for the answer: https://wiki.project1999.com/Food_and_drink
    delete5230

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Your mana regen will be hampered if you do not drink when thirsty.

You can get spells from vendors but you must go to your druid trainer to train in certain skills like meditate or sense heading which will take an age to go up. Meditate you must train before you can use it and so too with dodge.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Druid

Hide always shows you are hidden visually even when you aren't. Pick a mob and con it say it says 'apprehensive' or 'scowls ready to attack' then hide. Con again the message should read 'indifferent' then you have hidden successfully. Don't pick a mob that is already indifferent when you are visible. Also undead see through hide.

kitarad said:
    Your mana regen will be hampered if you do not drink when thirsty.

You can get spells from vendors but you must go to your druid trainer to train in certain skills like meditate or sense heading which will take an age to go up. Meditate you must train before you can use it and so too with dodge.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Druid

Hide always shows you are hidden visually even when you aren't. Pick a mob and con it say it says 'apprehensive' or 'scowls ready to attack' then hide. Con again the message should read 'indifferent' then you have hidden successfully. Don't pick a mob that is already indifferent when you are visible. Also undead see through hide.

I'm not sure what I should spend my points in as a Druid, so far I put one in sense heading only.

Should I put one in meditate and hide now at low levels ?... I have 4 or more points to spend, not sure, have to look.  I hate spending them in things like club, when I'm not sure I'll always have a club.
    Firstly there are racial and class skills. Class skills can be raised, racial cannot. Hide for druid is racial.

No need to put points in weapon skills just get a scimitar a rusty one for one hand slash and a club for one hand blunt , just use them at every level to fight mobs with the weapons you have . They will go up with practice. The one point in sense heading if you bound it to a movement key is enough.

Later you will need the points for tradeskills or raising other skills you get late to an acceptable level. Meditate is level 8 check the skills at the bottom of the page I linked earlier.
    delete5230

kitarad said:
    Firstly there are racial and class skills. Class skills can be raised, racial cannot. Hide for druid is racial.

No need to put points in weapon skills just get a scimitar a rusty one for one hand slash and a club for one hand blunt , just use them at every level to fight mobs with the weapons you have . They will go up with practice. The one point in sense heading if you bound it to a movement key is enough.

Later you will need the points for tradeskills or raising other skills you get late to an acceptable level. Meditate is level 8 check the skills at the bottom of the page I linked earlier.
    OK, I remember about the hide being racial. And yes, I have sense heading bound to "a".  So don't spend anymore points yet?..... But if so what would you recommend. Not sure how much I'll be casting or melee fighting yet.... Don't want to waste the points on something I may not be doing.

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Ok, I found the 5 disc set for Everquest 1 for free on the internet.  I'll be working on getting the ISO files working way later.

So I have my first question since I never played a first generation mmo: 

-  What class is good for DPS ranged or melee in a game like this.  I'm never a good tank, I'll be too new to take on the responsibility to be a healer, a class that is easiest to solo for figuring out the game and "wanted" by groups ?.... In other words, a starter class.

-  Are their dungeons ?

- Any thing else a noob should know ?

Thanks for the tip Cheyane, and I promise not to bash it.  I understand its an old first gen game :)

If it's 1999-era EQ, then melee classes are tops.  Mages were pretty terrible back then, and Necromancers were awful unless you did nothing but solo snarable/fearable MOBs.

It wasn't really viable to have more than 1-2 mages and 1 Necro in a raid until Planes of Power.

Up until Luclin, Mages were relegated to dropping Modulation RODs, and Necros didn't stack at all - one Necros DoTs would overwrite another's, so you crippled both by bringing more than one.  They were often relegated to Twitching other casters (both classes were mana batteries).

Wizards were a good DPS to play, and Enchanters are basically necessary in a low of early group content to control MOBs.

I would play one of those, depending on your preference.  I would avoid both pet classes.

Melee classes are good, IMO.

"Hybrid" classes like Druid/Shaman/Ranger should be good, as well - with the bonus that all of those get SoW.
    The ability to solo was important to me in EQ.  I never wanted to be tied down to a group as they were often exhausting experiences if done constantly IMO.  

I played a Ranger originally and didn't find them to be that useful in groups when EQ first came out.  They were also poor soloers even with snare and eventually spirit of the wolf.

Mages could actually solo mobs that weren't melee only due to their pets.  Many preferred them over wizards due to the pet off tank and its DPS output.  They actually weren't far behind Wizards in DPS.

I donJt recall original EQ having much in the way of raids.  The most I saw was people grouping up to kill the priest of discord.

Necros were kind of useless in groups, but they were probably the best soloers in the game.  This actually fits with their class as the description referred them as being hated by most.

Druids were useful as a healer in groups.  Of course, everyone wanted the main group classes like cleric and warrior if they could get them, but they were rare due to only being able to group to progress.  They weren't very exciting to play as they had no utility.  Shamans eventually get an advantage over Druids in groups due to slow, buffs, and debuffs.  Druids still get a lot of good spells though.    
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Gyva02 said:
    cheyane said:

Don't give up I promise you it is well worth it.
    lol .. camping static spawn again, again, and again is "worth it"? 

I suppose everyone has a different definition of "worth it". 
    Many path inside the zone and some will only spawn after a completion of tasks, some only spawn at a certain time of day. They are not all completely static, but some are... 

Even worse .. only spawn at a certain time of day .. so now I have to bring a novel to read while playing a game?
    Everquest is all those things and you can make fun of all the terrible things associated with it but since playing in 1999 I have yet till today come across any game as immersive  or engaging as Everquest. It has terrible flaws and horribly time consuming systems but I still cannot find another game with its diversity in spells , skills, races, classes and nasty convoluted dungeons so in spite of everything the experience of playing it is unique.
    kjempffFlyte27Amathe

Gyva02 said:
    cheyane said:

Don't give up I promise you it is well worth it.
    lol .. camping static spawn again, again, and again is "worth it"? 

I suppose everyone has a different definition of "worth it". 
    Many path inside the zone and some will only spawn after a completion of tasks, some only spawn at a certain time of day. They are not all completely static, but some are... 

Even worse .. only spawn at a certain time of day .. so now I have to bring a novel to read while playing a game?
    You don't really have to do anything.  You could continue along without the item, you could play another game, or you could do something else.  The choice is up to you.  Perhaps this slow process was one of the things that allowed me to enjoy the game.  Between the slow combat, the down times, and the wait times I had time to do other things during games like watch movies or TV shows.  I'm not exactly looking forward to those experiences in this day and age, but then it all worked out well.
    kitarad said:
    Everquest is all those things and you can make fun of all the terrible things associated with it but since playing in 1999 I have yet till today come across any game as immersive  or engaging as Everquest. It has terrible flaws and horribly time consuming systems but I still cannot find another game with its diversity in spells , skills, races, classes and nasty convoluted dungeons so in spite of everything the experience of playing it is unique.

It has its flaws, lots of small things....... But you know what I'm really enjoying myself, and the people are great :)
    kitarad said:

unique != good.

In fact, almost any modern game is better than EQ .. now of course "better" is subjective. It is your prerogative to like slow, ancient, simple combat mechanics and waiting for spawn. 

For people .. even Candy Crush is better. At least I don't have to wait 30 min to do something.
    kitarad said:

unique != good.

In fact, almost any modern game is better than EQ .. now of course "better" is subjective. It is your prerogative to like slow, ancient, simple combat mechanics and waiting for spawn. 

For people .. even Candy Crush is better. At least I don't have to wait 30 min to do something.
    If you never understood why it was fun then you probably never will.  It is the difference between the person who finds something to be garbage while the other sees something beautiful.  It's likely attributed to childhood experiences and what a person experiences.  I read fantasy books, watched fantasy movies, and had a fairly laid back life.  I was able to jump in and get lost in these movies and games with like-minded people.  I was also always one who found entertainment in MMORPG chaos.  It was fun to watch people getting so excited over things that happened to them in the game.  I was one of those people who could find enjoyment from competing with others overkills, watching someone fall into the water or falling into the water due to a boat bug, running around trying to find my corpse, running from trains or creating trains, roleplaying a character by myself, etc.  I doubt Candy Crush would have the interaction or imagination I found in games like Ultima Online and Everquest.  There is very little room for young peoples imaginations to go wild in modern games or anything else in life.  They are all set a bunch of rules they have to follow and generally do.  Despite a game like Everquest being slow in combat, it allowed for a lot of freedom in terms of what you could do compared to today's games.  For instance, mobs are on leashes, speed buffs generally wear off in combat, snares and roots are very short duration, items can't be dropped anywhere, etc.  There are many freedoms that were taken away.
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Flyte27 said:
    I recall trading items between characters was risky.  You had to drop the item on the ground, log out, and log in with your other character.  Someone might happen by and take the item you dropped in the interim.  I'm not sure if that's how it is in P99.  I know they added the ability to trade items between characters in the bank at some point.
    Lost a Wurmslayer this way, wish i were kidding :(
    Velifax said:
    Flyte27 said:
    I recall trading items between characters was risky.  You had to drop the item on the ground, log out, and log in with your other character.  Someone might happen by and take the item you dropped in the interim.  I'm not sure if that's how it is in P99.  I know they added the ability to trade items between characters in the bank at some point.
    Lost a Wurmslayer this way, wish i were kidding :(
    Bad things can happen, but that is part of the fun.  It's just a game after all.  Losing an item is not like losing an item in real life.  I'd choose the freedom of choice over being protected from myself and others any day, but that is just me.
    Flyte27 said:

If you never understood why it was fun then you probably never will. 
    lol .. "understood why it was fun"?

There is nothing to understand. It is entertainment. Everyone has difference preference. It is not fun for me (as the reasons I pointed out).

And again, if you like camping static spawn waiting in line, I am not judging. Just like you probably shouldn't judge people who like candy crush. 
    Flyte27 said:

If you never understood why it was fun then you probably never will. 
    lol .. "understood why it was fun"?

There is nothing to understand. It is entertainment. Everyone has difference preference. It is not fun for me (as the reasons I pointed out).

And again, if you like camping static spawn waiting in line, I am not judging. Just like you probably shouldn't judge people who like candy crush. 
    I wasn't really judging anyone for playing candy crush.  I was just pointing out that you are wrong if you believe it is more complex.  There are many more things to learn in EQ as a whole.  I guess you could argue it's more difficult to master candy crush, but in my experience, that isn't true.  It's probably easier for people now because they have played MMOs and have tutorials and videos explaining how to play and what to do in them.  Watching a video on Candy Crush and different strategies on how to play it would likely accomplish the same trivializing of the game.
    Flyte27 said:

I wasn't really judging anyone for playing candy crush.  I was just pointing out that you are wrong if you believe it is more complex.  
    lol what is so complex to sit and wait for a spawn, and spam a DD (remember what those are) with Root?

The same static spawn can be brought down by the same tactics again, again and again. If that is complexity .. well .. certainly it is less so than candy crush (at least different levels needs to do SLIGHTLY different things).

Does anyone actually fail and never brought down a single static spawn in EQ when camping?
    Flyte27 said:

I wasn't really judging anyone for playing candy crush.  I was just pointing out that you are wrong if you believe it is more complex.  
    lol what is so complex to sit and wait for a spawn, and spam a DD (remember what those are) with Root?

The same static spawn can be brought down by the same tactics again, again and again. If that is complexity .. well .. certainly it is less so than candy crush (at least different levels needs to do SLIGHTLY different things).

Does anyone actually fail and never brought down a single static spawn in EQ when camping?
    Actually yes it was pretty difficult originally.  Many people in Vanilla EQ actually leveled backward by dying too often.  There were actually many different things to learn in the game.  You might consider many of them easy as individual parts, but when combining all the different things it makes for an experience most couldn't do without tutorials, maps, and strategies made by other people.  Combat was more than just attacking and killing a mob.  Not all classes could do.  The ones that could do it solo needed to learn certain skills and strategies to succeed.  Even then it was easy to die and lose experience.  That is just the combat portion of the game.  There were many more intricacies to that didn't have much to do with combat.  Grouping was actually pretty hard depending on your role.  I remember parties dying quite often and a lot of frustrated people.  There weren't many safe places to camp.  Usually, a safe spot was taken if it existed.  You had to worry about others bring mobs on you or wandering mobs attacking you unexpectedly.  I could likely write a number of pages about the different things you have to learn to progress in the game.
    Velifax
    Flyte27 said:

Actually yes it was pretty difficult originally.  Many people in Vanilla EQ actually leveled backward by dying too often.  
    They were morons.

Everyone i knew playing the game then levels to 50 without any problems. 
    Flyte27 said:

Actually yes it was pretty difficult originally.  Many people in Vanilla EQ actually leveled backward by dying too often.  
    They were morons.

Everyone i knew playing the game then levels to 50 without any problems. 
    You haven't really provided proof of this other than your word.  I'm not sure when you played EQ, but if you played it at launch I find it difficult to believe you would just quickly learn all you needed to and get to max level.  Even those who were able to figure things out took a long time to get to max level just because leveling was quite slow. 

I think this thread is a good example of why EQ was difficult for most people.  You can see the questions being asked by new players and the difficulties they had with the game.  This is not even considering the fact that the servers in original EQ were much more populated and you had to worry a lot more about things like trains, kill stealers, etc.  Of course, that is just part of it.  Most people would have quit out of frustration, but others enjoyed the challenge of figuring out how to do things will little in the way of guides or help.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    edited November 2017
    Hey OP been checking for your character, I am on the game playing a lot but I have not seen you at all.  I have like 9 characters forever trying new race/class combinations bit of a crazy altitis going on there. Are you playing another character with another name ?
    Post edited by cheyane on
    Chamber of Chains