Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is quest driven that bad ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited November 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
In a recent topic, it turned into a discussion about how many hate quest driven.  It isn't new, it's been discussed negatively before. 

Well, what's the alternative ?..... Dynamic?.... That's not a bad idea, but what's wrong with both ?.... What everyone seems to ignore is that "Easy" is the real problem !!!!

I'll give an example:

Fairbreeze Village rat problem 
Go kill ten rats and Stinky the head rat.  The cave to the east is infested with rats and we think Stinky is responsible for the raids on our village.  Let everyone know when the deed is done.
0/10  Rats
0/1    Stinky

Alternative #1
The rat's are in a single room cave next to Fairbreeze.  All ten rats including Stinky can be taken out with a single blow and the quest is ready for turn in. 

Alternative #2
Go east beyond the rotted catacombs, face south and you'll see a large rock that stands out.  Behind the rock is a barely noticeable hole covered by a bush.... Jump in.... Be careful theirs a big ass Troll that some times guards the entrance for some odd reason.

Inside you'll see a poison pit, hug the left side wall, not the right because the right is a trap.  Follow the path to the rats nest.  DO NOT KILL STINKY yet !!... because the rats will be become enraged.  Simply pull the rants one at a time, then go for Stinky but don't stand in front because of his bad breath and he should be easy.  This quest would be much easer if you bring a caster, just a suggestion.

Turn in:
Stand in the courtyard, and shout "the rats are gone".  Press the icon in the top right corner to shout the message.  You'll gain exp. and everyone will be nicer to you, this will open a lot more quest.    

Reading Alternative #2...... What's wrong with quest ?...... What have mmos become ?
Post edited by delete5230 on
Scot

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Note:
    This is not a chain quest, it's easer to bring along a friend. 

Have fun :)
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited November 2017
    delete5230 said:
    What's wrong with quest ?
    It takes too long.

That will cause population distribution and related problems....
    Amarantharholdenfive
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    edited November 2017
    It all depends on how good the quests are.

I adore story telling in RPG's. I can't play one with out them if the core content is driven by combat. I've never been a fan of Themeparks without good questing as the PvE combat whilst leveling is so un-stimulating, I get bored easily.

I can do without quests in games like SWG where there were a variety of different things you could do outside of combat to level your character. Tame the wildlife, turn them into mounts. Become a dancer or a doctor and buff players. Even become a mayor of your own player built town.

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    I rather play a single player RPG than a forced quest chain MMO.
    YashaX
    edited November 2017
    Kabulozo said:
    I rather play a single player RPG than a forced quest chain MMO.

Yes, I agree ! 

Forced chain quest suck..... The nice thing about this quest, bring along a caster friend and it would be easer and fun.  After all, getting beyond the catacombs is not easy by yourself.

MMO :)
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    edited November 2017
    They wasn't made for MMORPG , that's the problem .
    You done the quest , your friend show up and "hey , let do that quest" !
    sorry ... you done it so you  are out lol . **** !
    You need 10 horns for the quest , your friend show up ... tada , now you need 20 horn , **** !
    Middle of quest , someone join in , most done and out ... the one not done yet , **** !
    You do the quests that your friends not unlock yet ... solo it **** !

nice punishment . Now you know why it bad ?
  • VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I'm not a fan of any game that focuses too much on any particular type of content.  Variety and quality are the mainstays against boredom and tedium.

iixviiiix said:
    They wasn't made for MMORPG , that's the problem .
    You done the quest , your friend show up and "hey , let do that quest" !
    sorry ... you done it so you  are out lol . **** !
    You need 10 horns for the quest , your friend show up ... tada , now you need 20 horn , **** !
    Middle of quest , someone join in , most done and out ... the one not done yet , **** !
    You do the quests that your friends not unlock yet ... solo it **** !

nice punishment . Now you know why it bad ?

You have a point BUT. 

If the quest were hard, fun and somewhat cooperative, what's the harm in doing it again...... As appose to simply gather 10 horns.  A game can always have dynamic or repeatable also.... You don't have to rule other stuff out !

Have an idea, insert it here  <       >  
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I usually prefer quest driven games.   Story/lore/questing are often my favorite type of MMOs.  The MMO community is large and varied so there is room for all. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The title does not cover the actual problem,it is implying that quests are either good or bad and it is not that simple.

Quests are perfectly fine,it is the way in which they are implemented and the reward that is NOT fine.
    First of all the markers usually tossed over npc heads is immersion breaking and just stupid,thank god i had FFXI to play ,NO HAND HOLDING.

Ok the reasons quests are done badly.

They offer xp that is rewarded towards your SKILL as that class,yet they have absolutely NOTHING to do with your skills.If they did then they would be acceptable.

The games that utilize quests for xp usually offer too little or nothing at all from kills,that is again retarded as combat is predominantly your SKILLS being used.Yet again thank god for FFXI,they understood it and got it right.

Quests in games tend to have no plausible realism,you can tell they are computer code,generated by a game designer for the sole purpose to give xp,instead of appearing to be realistic features inside a game world.Example was some game i tried for about 3 minutes recently,i got xp by simply moving from npc 1 to npc 2,good job DELETE.

We SHOULD be interacting with our world,that means actually talking to npc's,instead quests are given markers over npc heads,so that in factual reality,you are clicking the marker and have no care for the npc at all.

bottom line is brutally BAD game designers,they have no clue what they are designing and no ability to sit back,look at their design and ask the question "does this look right?",so yeah dumb ass system designers,maybe too much pokemon Go idk.

YashaXEponyxDamor

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    I like Runescape's quests where they have meaningful stories, set backs, puzzles, story arcs and characters.  The downside is that you'll be playing a grindy game, where those are a reward for that grind.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I think what bothers me most about questing is just the constant running back and forth....Also its been years since I actually read a quest as 99.999% of the time you just dont have to
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Age of Wushu optional quest that don’t even give experience 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Some of the most fun I have had questing was in EQ2, Heritage quests and Signature quests were great.
    Some of the Hallmark quest lines are good too, and they help you navigate the game.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    It's not that quests in mmorpg's are bad, it's just that I'm really tired of them.  Worst of all, most mmorpg's put quantity over quality.

I think quests should be completely optional and give no rewards.

AvarixSovrath

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    anemo said:
    I like Runescape's quests where they have meaningful stories, set backs, puzzles, story arcs and characters.  The downside is that you'll be playing a grindy game, where those are a reward for that grind.
     I so miss Runescape quests!   I played years ago and figured I would simply move to a "higher quality " MMO with the same type of quests.  Im still looking!   Occassionally I feel like going back but click to move irritates my carpal tunnel these days.  
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    MOBA > MMO isntanced pvp/BG
    PoE > MMO instanced pve

Currently i'm into LoL and Path of Exile, both of them are better than playing either instanced battleground in a themepark MMO or intanced dungeons in themepark MMOs.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    The main problem with quest driven MMOs is that you usually do so many quests in a short while that the grind get noticable fast.

In a game like TSW it is not a problem since it lacks the tons of fast quests you forget the moment they are done.

I don't think there is any good quests about killling rats at all. The least painful way of solving you village thing would probably be something like GW2s hearts: Kill rats & help the villagers with their minor tasks. It would still be boring but at least less so.

Medieval Romance. an adventurous expedition undertaken by a knight or knights to secure or achieve something:
    the quest of the Holy Grail.

That is basically what a MMO quest should be, not every minor task you do all the time. If it isn't heroic you either shouldn't bother at all with it or call such things "tasks" and just reward money and minor items for it.

A good questsbased MMO need fewer quests. Make them longer, better written, harder and actually fun instead of a boring timesink. Mix in some dynamic events and script the rest of the world to handle itself unless the players interact with it. Orcs go out on hunting parties, peasants farm their fields and so on making the world feel more alive.

I think most of us have some favorite quests we played but almost all of us also forget most quests as soon as they are done. Keep the memorable ones and get rid of the bad ones, it is just that simple.

Quests is basically the game telling you what to do and that is fine but not all the time.

Also, most quests have a single way to complete them, having some with multiple solutions would be nice. AoC had a good one where the player needed to figure out who of 3 suspects stole a jewelry box, it could be solved by wits or by using intimidation in the right way depending on your character. 
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 615
    My issues with quests isn't that they are simple, but that they really don't fit with the rest of the world, you killed stinky turn in the quest and get called a hero, then a minute later he respawns and someone else kills him and gets called the hero. Your actions are meaningless beyond the usually trivial reward you get for doing it.

It's a singleplayer rpg mechanic that was hamfisted into MMO's for easy content.

Warhammers public quests and GW2s dynamic events were steps in the right direction but sadly it seems that design didn't pick up much steam.
    YashaX
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'm not a fan of any game that focuses too much on any particular type of content.  Variety and quality are the mainstays against boredom and tedium.
    I'm like this.  I like variety.  Quest for awhile, do some public dungeons, run around and do some exploring.  Like in ESO work on some DB quests for awhile, Thieves Guild quests, So some Mage Guild quests, Dark Anchors...  Just being able to breakup your leveling.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    I love quests. But they need to "do them right". And they don't.

developers just seem to want to throw relay race busy work at us.

This is not to say busy work can't be fun. But not for a "quest".

immodium
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    As solo vet player. I think most are bored with it. They just did it too many times in mmos.

But new players in the mmo scene love it and I also love it to run it with them.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    I know that we all have different tastes, but this is how I feel about quests:

Quests should be limited to the "Introductory" part of the game, e.g., EverQuest II's Isle of Refuge and Age of Conan's Tortage. After I leave the starting zone, I prefer to make my own mark in the game's world.

Quests wouldn't be needed if the game had amazing combat, a very interesting loot system (Diablo 2's randomized statistics), and loads and loads of social content, e.g., incentives to use taverns and INNs, social professions, deep crafting, player cities, and world housing.

The negative impact of quests:

#1. Quest-Hub to Quest-Hub limits the world size. As you progress past each hub (map, world, zone), you will never adventure in those lands again.

#2. Quest-Hub to Quest-Hub progression is simply boring. Most people don't even bother to read the quests.

#3. Quest-Hub to Quest-Hub progression destroys immersion, e.g., I'm the "chosen one", along with the other 1 million players, that must save the world etc.

#4. The time and money developers waste on these gigantic quest lines. I'd rather that time / money be spent on insane combat / reusable content.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Dauzqul said:

#4. The time and money developers waste on these gigantic quest lines. I'd rather that time / money be spent on insane combat / reusable content.
    Quests is the far easiest and fastest content to make, particularly if you don't care much about how well written they are. A kill 10 rats quest can be done in minutes.

That is the main reason so many MMOs have such large quantity of crap quests. Guild wars prophecies for instance had all it's quests written by 3 guys who also did other work as well.

Also, most quests need a minimal amount of play testing. Improving combat on the other hand is both expensive and takes a long time to playtest.

The reason there is thousands of quests in most MMOs is that they are cheap and easy to make. Repeatable content like Dynamic events takes way longer and more playtesting to make.
    Dragnelus said:
    As solo vet player. I think most are bored with it. They just did it too many times in mmos.

But new players in the mmo scene love it and I also love it to run it with them.
    They will tire pretty fast as well since the games overuse them so much. You might like Mac & cheese but you won't for long if that is the only thing you eat.

Besides, there seems to be fewer new players now then anytime else during the 20 years I been playing MMOs, it is time to make some content both new and old players enjoy.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    The problem is that pretty much everyone has done quests that is about killing X monsters so that you can go to next kill quest to next until you reach level Y0 for so many games. It got even more problematic when designers started to treat players like they were imbeciles and removed all freedom.

For quests to be interesting there has to be variation in quests and players should be forced to think for themselves and explore the world instead of just following quest markers.
    [Deleted User]deniterHawkaya399
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.