Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC Review - The Perfect Home for Your Guardian - Destiny 2 Review - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    kgsavatar said:
    I like Destiny 2 on the PC. I don't have a console so it was good to see it on the PC platform.

The main problem I have with Destiny 2 is its lack of a in game global chat and/or lack of being able to whisper someone who is not on your friends list. For someone like me, who basically plays Destiny 2 solo and I don't really have any friends that play it, it makes it hard to continue into the deeper content as a solo player. I do believe there are probably more people out there like me, on the PC, who picked up Destiny 2 and don't really know anyone else that plays it. So we are stuck basically doing world events and that's pretty much it.

I think this might be killing the game on PC. I wish they had made an exception for the PC version to have more open communication with other people who are not on your friends list.
    The chat limitations in the game could be caused by the lack of dedicated servers for the game, its hosted peer to peer which is less than ideal for multiplayer games, sadly it also means if you want to get into a group for some of the content that requires it, you will likely have to do the same as was done with the console versions, which is advertise on various forums that you are looking for a group etc. It can't be done in game sadly. :/
  • theNILVtheNILV Member UncommonPosts: 49
    I'm surprised that they fucked up PvP so hard, that thing could have longevity with proper rankings, matchmaking and dedicated servers. But instead we get this crappy P2P system where everything feels super inconsistent. 

I have played the game close to 100 hours now, and i really feel like if they don't bring something awesome in the first DLC, i'm definitely going to quit it. And i don't think i'm alone...
    Proud member of best EU roleplaying guild
    Twitter - @theNILV
    Twitch - @theNILV
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Torval said:
    Phry said:
    kgsavatar said:
    I like Destiny 2 on the PC. I don't have a console so it was good to see it on the PC platform.

The main problem I have with Destiny 2 is its lack of a in game global chat and/or lack of being able to whisper someone who is not on your friends list. For someone like me, who basically plays Destiny 2 solo and I don't really have any friends that play it, it makes it hard to continue into the deeper content as a solo player. I do believe there are probably more people out there like me, on the PC, who picked up Destiny 2 and don't really know anyone else that plays it. So we are stuck basically doing world events and that's pretty much it.

I think this might be killing the game on PC. I wish they had made an exception for the PC version to have more open communication with other people who are not on your friends list.
    The chat limitations in the game could be caused by the lack of dedicated servers for the game, its hosted peer to peer which is less than ideal for multiplayer games, sadly it also means if you want to get into a group for some of the content that requires it, you will likely have to do the same as was done with the console versions, which is advertise on various forums that you are looking for a group etc. It can't be done in game sadly. :/
    You can leave a message in guild chat if you're in one. The chat just isn't in game. Same with Blizzard's Social tab. If you're in a social group you can ask for help. It's not really hard to get help or organize it. The problem being that doesn't happen organically in the game like it should. A player can make it happen but it's clunky.

In my opinion they should implement chat systems in this order: guild chat, zone chat, tower/farm chat.
    Trouble is, looking for a guild your going to have to do it outside of the game, your best bet really is to find a guild that uses discord and hopefully has members active at the same times you are etc. Its hard to imagine any game lacking such basic communication features really, that Destiny 2 is suffering the same issues Destiny 1 did is incomprehensible, its hard to call a game 'cutting edge' when it doesn't even have features that games over a decade old have. :/
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

jgDuffay said:

The amount of people not having their own opinions these days are staggering!, stop getting all your opinions from your favorite streamers & youtube reviewers. this game is not a MMO, it's more like a borderlands game, and it will content vise grow. no it's not a game for hardcore MMORPG players and it will never try to be, it have some faults and i guess we will just have to give Bungie some time to try and fix it. People who have never played and or is not interested in the type of game D2 is, why are you flaming here ?, go play something you like.

Thanks for the heads up. I was considering this game but I only mainly play MMO's. Sounds like this is not MMO enough to appeal to MMO only people.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Destiny 1.5, as it should be called, is not worthy of being called a new game. It's an xpac at best. An xpac that wipes your player and forgets completely the entire world you started in. It's easy mode in the extreme. Pretty much all of the story content you can just run past stuff and ignore it. Re-used models, same engine, small group content quickly exhausted. Standards are dropping even further if this is what AAA games are going to look like.

The shooting mechanics are solid, but Bungie should have those down by now so not really surprising. And stop calling it an MMO. If you're going to call it GW 1 with guns then at least own the fact that GW1 was a Co-Op game not an MMO. There is nothing MMO about Destiny 2. Even the developers say it's not an MMO. Duh!

So glad I didn't waste money on this one. If anyone wants to watch a real review of Destiny 2, watch this:

You have quite the opinion on something you admit to never playing.  Video game forums are the only place on Earth this mentality is somewhat accepted. I can post a YouTube video claiming how great the game is.  

Just to point out the crying you just did in this one post is more words then I have ever typed in my entire life on a video game I never played.  It's pretty pathetic kids cry this much about something they never played and or plan on playing.  Move on buddy there are plenty of other games out there for you.  

Did I say I had never played it? No, I said I didn't buy it. That doesn't mean that I don't have access to a friend's copy which he kindly allowed me to play through before I made a decision on whether or not I would buy my own copy. After several hours of mind numbing repetitive boredom I started checking out reviews from sources I trusted to see if the game improved as it progressed and what I found only confirmed my fears.

So, yes, I'm glad I didn't buy this game. Luckily for me I had a friend who let me have a good long play of the game so I could see for myself if I wanted to spend the money on it. It failed to impress me completely. That WAB video I linked is pretty much what I thought of the game after trying it out for myself, but he just does it in such an amusing way I thought some of the forum goers here might enjoy it.

But thanks for the personal attack, the assumption that I'm a "kid" and your recommendation that I move on to another game. 1 out of 3 is better than none I suppose.

Yeah ok you get called and claim "your friend" let you play.  I'll give you 2 out of 10 on your desperate backtrack.  

If you look at my post history you'll also see that I played the beta weekend and posted on here after that event, when I voiced my concerns about content. After that beta weekend I certainly wasn't going to pay the asking price for a game I already had doubts about. You're damned right I sought out a copy I could review before I made that decision.

By your response I'd hazard a guess that your a fan. Good for you. I don't particularly care if you believe me or not. I don't care if you agree with me or not. I'm entitled to my opinion and to voice it, just as you are. But I'll do it without attacking anyone for their differing opinions. You might consider showing the same courtesy.

I personally just want to know when people post comments like yours what you are comparing it to. And what reviews said it was a bad game. It's got a meta-critic score of 85%. It's not all encompassing game with deep systems, housing, and whatever, but it never claimed to be. For what it claimed to be it delivers. What shooters do you play that have more varied combat? Or are you just a fanboy of an a competing game? A score of 8.5 already indicates it's not perfect . . . . so I have to wonder what the point is.
    [Deleted User]
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    The MMORPG forum users checklist:

Is it an MMO? No - Bad!
    Is it made by a huge studio with a AAA budget? Yes - Bad!
    Does it have less then 100+ hours of content right now? Yes - Bad!
    Does it in any way, shape or form, has ways to spend money on it besides the initial purchase? Yes - Bad!
    Are expansions planned which you have to pay for? Yes - Bad!
    Is it anything less then a living breathing world where you can permanently live in? Yes - Bad!

Poor D2. It never had a chance  ;)

Its a lobby shooter with persistent character progression, what did you all think you were getting? There are hundreds of articles on it, but some only look at the MMO tag. Be informed..

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    esc-joconnor
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• XxxusernametakenxxxXxxusernametakenxxx Member UncommonPosts: 127
    lahnmir said:
    The MMORPG forum users checklist:

Is it an MMO? No - Bad!
    Is it made by a huge studio with a AAA budget? Yes - Bad!
    Does it have less then 100+ hours of content right now? Yes - Bad!
    Does it in any way, shape or form, has ways to spend money on it besides the initial purchase? Yes - Bad!
    Are expansions planned which you have to pay for? Yes - Bad!
    Is it anything less then a living breathing world where you can permanently live in? Yes - Bad!

Poor D2. It never had a chance  ;)

Its a lobby shooter with persistent character progression, what did you all think you were getting? There are hundreds of articles on it, but some only look at the MMO tag. Be informed..

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    A lot of the hate comes from the new trend of video game forums.  A new game comes out and some people need attention and upvotes so they jump on the bandwagon of a video game they dont play or played for like 15 min at a friends house and can now claim to have an objective non bias opinion of the game.  They spend weeks, month and in some weird cases years crying about that video game.  They really think their opinion and tears will have an impact on the game. 

There is no objectivity on forums anymore, its just tears and cries on the new target that the forum picks. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I found a causal clan while reading a forum.  Joined it and it's all good.  Level 6, so I get good benefits. 

In game chat does come in handy I almost missed a second loot cache and another player had to shoot at me a few times to get my attention.  

So far it's been fun, IMO.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• lostxnlostxn Member UncommonPosts: 13

thunderC said:

Just for the record , i didnt say it was a bad game, or shit graphics or buggy , i simply stated I FOUND IT BORING . who knows ill probably return to it at some point since i know own it now, maybe even love it down the road

Could have sword that forums were for opinions. How dare you!?!?! ;)
  • koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171
    koljane said:
    D2 is just ok game and you can give the game 8.5 for just shooting. Overall it is 6.5 at best. But Spin Doctors are paying a lot of money to make fake ratings just so they sell an extra copy. On the other hand Warframe will get more players cause now everyone compare this 2 games and Warframe defo deserve 8.5. Whole review was well paid or the writer is just a fan boy (or both).
    Says the Warframe fanboy.  See how that works?
    I played Warframe 3h and play Destiny 1 on PS and Desteny 2 on PC in beta. Problem here is in objectivity. If you check all reviewers all over the net you ll see that they all wanted Desteny 2 to be something awesoma but it is just a not that. Game is already known as Desteny 1.2 cause it brings dumbed system and rest is more or less the same. Difference is that you have it on PC now so ppl who havent played Desteny 1 on console can be bought by the story and the rest of the IP. 
    Please tell me why you agree with 8.5 when overall is is 7. That draws the question why someone gave the game such a big grade?!. I would agree with 8.5 if there was a note "Sponsored review" but that would bit stupid, right.?
    [Deleted User]
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited November 2017
    I found a causal clan while reading a forum.  Joined it and it's all good.  Level 6, so I get good benefits. 

In game chat does come in handy I almost missed a second loot cache and another player had to shoot at me a few times to get my attention.  

So far it's been fun, IMO.
    That would make a funny parody video, all the mute destiny characters with limited gestures, shooting things to talk XD
  • bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    edited November 2017

thunderC said:

i find this game extremely boring, shame it wasn't on steam as id be eligible for a refund. I think i put in just about 2 hours

Ok no offense but I'm calling BS here. Two hours? If true which I doubt that's your fault for not trying the free beta.

You see this a lot these days. Someone jumping onto a forum claiming they put in an hour two hours or whatever and claiming the game sucks or it's boring.  It's very hard today to make that conclusion without showing your bias or agenda.  

Nothing wrong with not liking a game but try and keep your obvious bias agenda out of it.  

You mean the free 2 mission demo? Never call that nonsense a beta [mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
  • FreelancerNDFreelancerND Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Bought it, tried it, returned to Warframe.
    Thank you, but no thank you, this thing should have stayed on consoles.
  • sdeleon515sdeleon515 Member UncommonPosts: 151
    All I can say is wait for Black Friday when it gets to the $15 bin if you need to buy this! Otherwise, don't bother =/ Saying that as a player and owner, I think this purchase was far FAR more regrettable than Mass Effect: Andromeda. I'd say an honest rating is 6/10: PvE gets tiring with no real reward or progression in place and PvP is frustrating from one of the consistently worse matchmaking algorithms in place to very slow paced 4v4 and random match types.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited November 2017

thunderC said:

i find this game extremely boring, shame it wasn't on steam as id be eligible for a refund. I think i put in just about 2 hours

Ok no offense but I'm calling BS here. Two hours? If true which I doubt that's your fault for not trying the free beta.

You see this a lot these days. Someone jumping onto a forum claiming they put in an hour two hours or whatever and claiming the game sucks or it's boring.  It's very hard today to make that conclusion without showing your bias or agenda.  

Nothing wrong with not liking a game but try and keep your obvious bias agenda out of it.  

You mean the free 2 mission demo? Never call that nonsense a beta [mod edit]
    Please take that tone to another website, we are neither amused or impressed by it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Post edited by Vaross on
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Is a poster laying claim that i or any other gamer cannot conclude a game is total rubbish based on 1-2 hours?

I can tell if  many a game is really bad in less than one minute because really bad games stand out like a sore thumb from the very first screen while creating your player.
    I would not be so ignorant or arrogant as to claim that i can tell how good EVERY single game is in 5 minutes,some take longer but again i can tell if a game at least warrants a longer look or if it deserves an instant delete.

What usually separates a really bad game "instant delete" from a bad game that at least had me look further is the effort and professional type polish and taking the simple ideas a bit further.

Example?

Well i can use a recent game i tired and that is the Phoenix Dynasty 2.There is zero customization,then i look at say EQ2 and you pick a race,varied stats,class,starting town and a solid training/starter isle with everything including crafting tables.
    Bottom line is that if a developer won't put any effort into the initial part fo the game,yo ucannot expect any better throughout the game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• lirikterjemahanlirikterjemahan Newbie CommonPosts: 2
    edited December 2019
    this is great game.