Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Official Classic Server Forums Aflame in Class Balance Debate - World of Warcraft - MMORPG.com

124»

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    If they are only making one server per region, per server type PVE/PVP, than it needs to be as close to vanilla as possible.

If they have multiple servers then I'd be more than open to improvements and balance in certain areas.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898

Rusque said:

If people are serious about wanting to play vanilla WoW, then that's exactly what they should get. They shouldn't get balance changes or quality of life improvements. They should get the classic experience.

If you play a warrior you are prot. Get 4 stacks of sunder asap. In pvp you are rooted the entire match while looking at your Mortal Strike button longingly, you just want to press it one time, just one. But you can't.

If you want to pvp, you either join the pvp collusion ring that account shares and play a chosen character 24/7 in weekly rotations in order to hit GM, or you just play what you can and hit a wall. Unless you're capable of staying up all day every day for a month or so (and don't have a job).

There was always room for DPS warriors in vanilla PVE and especially PVP. I know because I raided as a dps war who backup tanked on rare occasions when one of the main tanks died. Arms Warriors were beasts in PVP with a pocket healer.

But yes I had to play 16 hours a day the last month to get HWL as well as organizing WSG parties and working with people I competed against.

Anyway, vanilla WOW had a lot of crappy designs when looking back, or even trying on private servers. I think the debate with developers will be heated.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I just want the old skill trees.  What killed Wow for me was the limited character customization that Wow became.  I just avoided the idiots who demanded certain specs, took all the fun out of the game.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    waynejr2 said:
    So basically nobody wanted balance changes during Vanilla WoW?

Yeah OK.

Anybody who thinks they were getting literal Vanilla WoW really needs to understand how much they have in common with the future civilization in #Idiocracy.

Nostalgia is cool but if you need a 1:1 conversion I suggest setting up your own private server among friends. It's not gonna happen.

Just because it was vanilla doesn't mean that people like you weren't bitching and moaning about something.  You see, what happened over the expansions is that the devs caved into the bitchers and the moaners.  It ruined the game.

So this vanilla experience is about, imo, about getting back to a state when the devs didn't cave to the bitchers and moaners.  Besides, you bitchers and moaners have the current state of the game.  You should love it.
    I didn't play WoW Frito, you imbecile.

The point is expectation. Anybody who honestly thinks Blizzards motivation for a Classic WoW server is to provide an alternative to "bitchers and moaners" is a simpleton and waters their lawn with Brawndo.

They're going to remove old bugs, they're going to make QoL changes and monetize. I wouldn't be surprised if they did some balancing as well. It's never going to be a 1:1 conversion Frito. 

I think you're right that they're going to remove old bugs.  On everything else, I think you're very obviously wrong based on what they've said so far.  So drink your brawndo, dude.  The only thing more satisfying then watching all the naysayers be wrong about legacy servers will be watching them be wrong twice, lol.
    I don't think you comprehend what naysayer means.
    How can I be wrong "twice" when I nev... you know what? Never mind.

Bottoms up to Vanilla WoW.

[Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Torval said:
    If they are only making one server per region, per server type PVE/PVP, than it needs to be as close to vanilla as possible.

If they have multiple servers then I'd be more than open to improvements and balance in certain areas.
    Which vanilla.

I think it would be pretty neat if they kept it like vanilla and started and progressed with patches as they did with vanilla.  I could be remembering wrong but I think the first major vanilla update was the inclusion of Battle Grounds.  I think that was like six months after release?  If so then they keep to the same patch schedule chronologically as vanilla had.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited November 2017
    blamo2000 said:
    Torval said:

Which vanilla.

I think it would be pretty neat if they kept it like vanilla and started and progressed with patches as they did with vanilla.  I could be remembering wrong but I think the first major vanilla update was the inclusion of Battle Grounds.  I think that was like six months after release?  If so then they keep to the same patch schedule chronologically as vanilla had.
    Yeah, I agree, hopefully we'll get loot lag, 1000 plus queues and servers which are down so much they give us comp time.

Won't be a "true" vanilla experience without it.

Oh yeah, and Euro servers need to start 3 months after the US, time we get back to the days when Blizz treated them differently. 

Speaking of queues, server caps on # of players must be exactly the same, no way do I want to play with my friends who were too lazy to take a day off of work, and let their son stay home from school as I did to be sure we were able to create accounts on the same server as the rest of guild. 

BTW, the server name Kel Thuzad-Classic must be available, PVP as per the original. 

Hmm...wonder if they'll even offer classic servers to China, start theirs at patch 1.50 as before, when BGs were first introduced.

;)
    [Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    There is only one reason for me to join classic servers

And thats to play a druid as it was meant to be played..

Stay away from the gameplay aspects of the druid,..

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    There is only one reason for me to join classic servers

And thats to play a druid as it was meant to be played..

Stay away from the gameplay aspects of the druid,..
    Hmm, I remember basically becoming a healer once I started raiding.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Yeah, I agree, hopefully we'll get loot lag, 1000 plus queues and servers which are down so much they give us comp time.

Won't be a "true" vanilla experience without it.

Oh yeah, and Euro servers need to start 3 months after the US, time we get back to the days when Blizz treated them differently. 

Speaking of queues, server caps on # of players must be exactly the same, no way do I want to play with my friends who were too lazy to take a day off of work, and let their son stay home from school as I did to be sure we were able to create accounts on the same server as the rest of guild. 

BTW, the server name Kel Thuzad-Classic must be available, PVP as per the original. 

Hmm...wonder if they'll even offer classic servers to China, start theirs at patch 1.50 as before, when BGs were first introduced.

;)
    "Yeah, I agree, hopefully we'll get loot lag, 1000 plus queues and servers which are down so much they give us comp time.

Won't be a "true" vanilla experience without it."

My brother-in-law and I never had this problem.  It seemed to only be an issue for people dead set on playing on super popular servers.  This skinny jeans crowd creates their own problems.  And I'd love for a classic server to do this to separate and consolidate them.

"Oh yeah, and Euro servers need to start 3 months after the US, time we get back to the days when Blizz treated them differently. "

Sounds good to me I guess.  We'll show them!

"Speaking of queues, server caps on # of players must be exactly the same, no way do I want to play with my friends who were too lazy to take a day off of work, and let their son stay home from school as I did to be sure we were able to create accounts on the same server as the rest of guild."

I hope so.
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:

Which vanilla.
    Somewhere pre-TBC, from blue posts over on the official forums.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I keep hearing people suggesting "progression" patches as in Vanilla... these patches, content aside, were mainly implemented in order to fix game balance. Are people really suggesting we go through all that process again, i.e. playing with the first imbalanced patches? I think that is ridiculous as a thought.

The game was "balanced", at least to the best of Blizzard's ability, with patch 1.12. I can understand rolling out content progressively as happened during vanilla, but playing with older patches than 1.12 is a big NO.
  • FinvegaFinvega Member RarePosts: 260
    I would be happy with the last patch before BC expac.
    BruceYee
  • TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Companies just need to abandon the mmorpg market. There is no pleasing you all period.
    Galadourn said:
    I keep hearing people suggesting "progression" patches as in Vanilla... these patches, content aside, were mainly implemented in order to fix game balance. Are people really suggesting we go through all that process again, i.e. playing with the first imbalanced patches? I think that is ridiculous as a thought.

The game was "balanced", at least to the best of Blizzard's ability, with patch 1.12. I can understand rolling out content progressively as happened during vanilla, but playing with older patches than 1.12 is a big NO.

Balance is really subjective when you have actual character development, and situational.  I was a decent arena player and could walk over most, but there were a tier of players that could walk all over me.  One of them beat me with my class when I said he had a FOTM class when he just turned 70 and a ton of greens with some blues pve gear.  Some players are monsters and give lie to any objective discussion of balance.  Balance leads to streamlining which leads to the removal of choice and classes being more flavor than anything.  

I want vanilla and BC because I had so much fun making weird builds that sometimes only did well in specific situations.  I did better in the arena in BC and WotLK because of me being able to come up with weird builds to try and get an advantage on the better players.  It usually didn't work against the monsters, who just adapt to quickly.  And my partner and I didn't work or communicate together the best so it was strategy versus what could have been decent tactics if we didn't just yell like idiots.  But that was fun and gave us a little chance of sometimes winning.  Not a chance of winning any titles or contests, but a slim chance of winning the occasional bout against the lower end of the top tier players.

In BC I mainly played Druid, and almost every group wanted tanks.  This is before dual specs and changing specs was very expensive.  I actually had to become a super tank for 5 mans to get the good pvp arena items that you could get in them, because I wasn't going to waste 2 points on the plus 40% threat generation talents that did nothing for the arena.  I had to be way better than normal to tank a dungeon repeatedly with almost half the threat generation of tank specced builds.  My brother-in-law was a rogue and he had to get good at helping me tank too, and how and when to cc or steal agro for a second, and help me carry my tank gimp build through dungeons.

We had to actually get good, versus what happened (somewhat during but mostly after) after WotLK where people just had to watch videos and do what their betters did exactly.  They are not good players, they are good mimics and followers.  

I want progression patches because they force people to adapt and overcome.  The actual best players can still destroy everyone besides their own with a class the community at large considers gimp, and it allows the players who have fun trying new, weird things to try and make lemonade.  

The whiners demanding exact balance and crying every second are the reason wow sucks now.  The classic server isn't for them.  Current wow is for them.  The classic server is for people who want things like they used to be, warts and all.  Imbalance and crazy balance patches and all. 
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 555
    Name me a time in history when the World of Warcraft forums weren't aflame over something.