Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: Battlefront II: Making Melee Work - General Guides

Comments

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    edited November 2017

Iselin said:

sayuu said:

sayuu said:

Really not sure I like MMORPG promoting this p2w garbage. P2W in F2P or B2P games ok I guess, but in full priced AAA games? Nope.

what exactly about the game is pay2win now that the microtransaction system has been removed?

It's only been temporarily removed and will be re-implemented again at some point i.e it's only been switched off for the moment rather than removed.

yeah. . . 

but. . . .he said the game was pay2win now, as in today, not sometime in the future. 

can you tell me how it is pay2win now?

thanks  :)

Well, since you want to get technical... There has been early access to the game for several days on all platforms and the pay for crates was turned off just yesterday. So anyone who paid to get heroes and star cards before that.

so technically. . . in the past and maybe in the future.

but that still doesn't explain NOW . . .technically
    Iselin

Shodanas said:

sayuu said:

Really not sure I like MMORPG promoting this p2w garbage. P2W in F2P or B2P games ok I guess, but in full priced AAA games? Nope.

what exactly about the game is pay2win now that the microtransaction system has been removed?

also isn't the game buy2play? you're ok with pay2win in buy2play games. . .just not this one for some reason?

your post is really confusing, please clarify

This game is no more P2W than Pokemon or Magic The Gathering or Hearthstone.

Can you inform us about the current retail prices for Pokemon, Magic the Gathering and Hearthstone ?

And yes, this game is as p2w as it can get. In case you missed it the temporally disabled loot boxes contain star cards which directly increase a characters combat potency.

the irony is that all the games mentioned are the epitome of pay to win. . .TCGs are p2w by design

you got trolled by a master. . .
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    sayuu said:

Iselin said:

sayuu said:

sayuu said:

It's only been temporarily removed and will be re-implemented again at some point i.e it's only been switched off for the moment rather than removed.

yeah. . . 

but. . . .he said the game was pay2win now, as in today, not sometime in the future. 

Well, since you want to get technical... There has been early access to the game for several days on all platforms and the pay for crates was turned off just yesterday. So anyone who paid to get heroes and star cards before that.

So if you paid to get an advantage before and you're winning now that's not pay to win because they are both not happening now... got you.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Anyone else extremely disappointed with the main campaign story? I was expecting an imperial perspective ala tie fighter not the same star wars cliche nonsense story again.
  • AlexanderVendiAlexanderVendi Member UncommonPosts: 375
    edited November 2017
    apologies.. great build , will try it out when i will buy the game.
  • KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    Do you guys prefer mentos or spree candies?
  • HMackenzieHMackenzie Member UncommonPosts: 11
    Two things come to mind.

1) People will still buy the game because 'Star Wars'

2) It is naive to think EA won't come up with another make money plan.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    LeFantome said:

Ozmodan said:

Only a fool would purchase this game with all the horrid monetization involved.  

Yeah that horrid monetization, like a $60 box fee then all DLC for free. You literally never need to spend another cent on the game after initial purchase. Those bastards.

Dude, are you aware of what is going on with EA?
    I guess not..
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/17/wall-street-is-freaking-out-as-ea-caves-again-to-social-media-outrage-over-its-star-wars-game.html

Of course I'm aware of what's going on. But it should be clear in my post that I don't agree with the herd. Is anything I said in the post you quoted factually incorrect?
    You see... that's the thing.

EA was trying to herd you $guys$ all in and then someone came along and started a stampede.
    IselinMadFrenchie

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Two things come to mind.

1) People will still buy the game because 'Star Wars'

2) It is naive to think EA won't come up with another make money plan.
    It would be more than naive - downright illiterate, since they said this in the same statement where they announced their temporary removal: "The ability to purchase crystals in-game will become available at a later date, only after we've made changes to the game."
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    sayuu said:

Shodanas said:

sayuu said:

also isn't the game buy2play? you're ok with pay2win in buy2play games. . .just not this one for some reason?

Can you inform us about the current retail prices for Pokemon, Magic the Gathering and Hearthstone ?

And yes, this game is as p2w as it can get. In case you missed it the temporally disabled loot boxes contain star cards which directly increase a characters combat potency.

the irony is that all the games mentioned are the epitome of pay to win. . .TCGs are p2w by design

You missed the operative part of my post / reply, not that i expected you to pick up on it ofc. But what the heck i'm gona make another try:

Can you inform us about the retail prices for the aforementioned games ? 60.. 70.. 80 euros ? I bet that there is a Pokemon deluxe edition for 79.99 only i can't find it on the website.

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    edited November 2017
    laserit said:
    LeFantome said:

Ozmodan said:

Only a fool would purchase this game with all the horrid monetization involved.  

Yeah that horrid monetization, like a $60 box fee then all DLC for free. You literally never need to spend another cent on the game after initial purchase. Those bastards.

Dude, are you aware of what is going on with EA?
    I guess not..
    https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/17/wall-street-is-freaking-out-as-ea-caves-again-to-social-media-outrage-over-its-star-wars-game.html

Of course I'm aware of what's going on. But it should be clear in my post that I don't agree with the herd. Is anything I said in the post you quoted factually incorrect?
    You see... that's the thing.

EA was trying to herd you $guys$ all in and then someone came along and started a stampede.
    Any company that wants to "herd" me into a game I enjoy is welcome to.  All I'm saying is that I simply don't agree with all the outrage. The game is fun, the loot crates are optional and I'm gonna keep on playing. 

Edit... I meant to say spending RL money on the crates is optional.

Shodanas said:
    sayuu said:

Shodanas said:

sayuu said:

You missed the operative part of my post / reply, not that i expected you to pick up on it ofc. But what the heck i'm gona make another try:

Can you inform us about the retail prices for the aforementioned games ? 60.. 70.. 80 euros ? I bet that there is a Pokemon deluxe edition for 79.99 only i can't find it on the website.

I've got no idea what the cost of TCG games is because I've never played one and I don't care enough to look. I can tell you they definitely are not free though, and that if you want to be able to compete against other players you'll need to spend a good chunk of money to get good cards. Or are you saying that all those TCG games are free?

Iselin said:
    sayuu said:

Iselin said:

sayuu said:

sayuu said:

yeah. . . 

So if you paid to get an advantage before and you're winning now that's not pay to win because they are both not happening now... got you.
    if your winning now then its happening now. . .you statement makes no sense. . .

you seem confused by simple linear time. . .
    sayuu said:
    Iselin said:
    sayuu said:

Iselin said:

sayuu said:

sayuu said:

yeah. . . 

if your winning now then its happening now. . .you statement makes no sense. . .

you seem confused by simple linear time. . .
    Not confused at all.

You however are saying that those who bought crystals before EA stopped selling them, and are still playing today against those who have bought no crystals don't have a P2W advantage. Or maybe you think that what was bought before the freeze has been reposessed? Umm... no it wasn't.

Not surprising really since your whole agenda is to confuse and obfuscate with bullshit because you actually have nothing to add.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

Shodanas said:

sayuu said:

A lot of people misconstrue what P2W is. Pay to win is the process where you acquire something that is otherwise inaccessible to a non-payer. Battlefront is not Pay to win. The model it had before it got plugged was pay to progress faster. Nothing in the game is barred from you if you did not opt into getting lootboxes faster with real money. 

I find myself needing to mention I do not like this model and it is not desirable in any video game. However, I find myself needing to defend the definition of p2w so that it has more meaning and influence when stated in the future. Thank you.

A lot of people misconstrue what P2W is.
    Agreed and sadly you're one of them.
    [Deleted User]RexKushman

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
     Glad some folks are enjoying the game and I'm doubly glad they turned off micro transactions for a time. That said .. they are going to turn them back on. Still won't be playing this .. it's the principle at this point and they need to learn a lesson here. They built this game to suck up money from loot boxes, it's as shit as Diablo 3 was before they removed RMT.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    imo, it's too late. Anyone who wanted to already bought all the stuff they needed before the shop was taken out.
    RexKushman
    adam_nox said:
    imo, it's too late. Anyone who wanted to already bought all the stuff they needed before the shop was taken out.
    What "stuff" would they have bought? There were only 3 types of boxes available and having opened roughly 15-20 so far, all earned through in game credits, I just don't see the point in paying real life cash for them. There were no premium boxes or special ones you could only get for cash and you couldn't buy any items straight up. From my experience with them, spending money on Crystals to buy the boxes would just be a waste. I got 1 Blue card and it was for a class I have no interest in, a few hundred crafting parts but in order to craft higher level cards you need to grind out levels to be able to use them and even then I haven't seen any cards with stats on them that would make a fairly average FPS player like me any better at killing people.

Good FPS players are going to wreck people just like they do in all FPS games and bad FPS players will be cannon fodder just like they always are....I dunno maybe I missed the "Uber blaster of fuck your face" in the store, i'll check again next time i log in.

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Think of the children!

That's exactly what Disney is doing. Belgium is deciding whether the loot boxes are gambling under their laws. Disney doesn't want its games smeared with a gambling tag because that would be bad for its rep with those people who have children, aka parents.

They'll turn them back on. They've already said they would. Gamers just have to wrap their heads around that this is where game design is going. In the future, we'll buy the game for a chance to buy the game, which is what Shadow of War and now this game are doing with their designs. If the grind is long and boring, yes, that's a design decision specifically made to drive players to spending cash instead. Anyone who has played MMOs for the last 10 years can see this coming a mile away.
  • IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304
    I heard it costs about 2100$ to get all the cards what if this is the last one I get : O
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113

LeFantome said:

MikeB said:

Dragnelus said:

You can do whatever you like. I'm enjoying it, so I'm writing about it.

Soon enough, you'll end up playing alone.

Enjoy your time.

So much for writers covering games on this site with any integrity.
    RexKushman

LeFantome said:

MikeB said:

Dragnelus said:

You can do whatever you like. I'm enjoying it, so I'm writing about it.

Soon enough, you'll end up playing alone.

Enjoy your time.

So much for writers covering games on this site with any integrity.
    He enjoys the game so that means he has no integrity?... gimme a break, that's rubbish. 
    [Deleted User]

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    edited November 2017
    I am not a big fan of shooters but i'm playing this game now for 48h. Campaign is super awesome and maps in multiplayer gives you that amazing Star Wars feeling. They look so gorgeus on ultra settings! Tatooine, Naboo, Kamino......
    [Deleted User]RexKushman
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I’m not buying this game and I encourage everyone else to do the same. Would love to see EA investors lose a lot of money and make a statement about this sort of bullshit.
    LeFantome
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    At least it will give the industry something to think about. "Remember that EA thing..." will probably be mentioned in a lot of meetings from now on.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey