Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: Would you play a robot/droid character?

45074507 Member UncommonPosts: 351
Very simply, if in a science fiction (or otherwise, provided that robots make sense in the context of the world) themed MMORPG you had the ability to play a robot, humanoid shaped or otherwise (but most definitely not human skinned), and only a robot, would you?

I know that there have been a few games that let you choose a robot as a playable race, but I'm not aware of any game that is purely robots in terms of playable races, so I'm curious as to whether one would be feasible and not run into issues of lack of connection between the player and their character.
Would you play a robot character in an MMORPG?
  1. Would you play a robot character in an MMORPG?48 votes
    1. Yes
      72.92%
    2. No
      25.00%
    3. I couldn't care less about character customization
        2.08%

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017
    I think so. 

I know it's not exactly an MMORPG but Warframe is pretty close to this concept and it works. I know there's an 'operator' but that's just fluff, is basically a terminal on your ship, you can change your operator and you don't even know about it until later in the game. You are only controlling a robot, that's what you are.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    I had an exo in D2 as well. But I haven't seen a game where all the playable races were robots. There was one game, an mmo (I think) that shut down. It was like mech warriors or something. Didn't feel a lot of connection to the avatar. But it won't matter to others.

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    yes, did not think this would be a close call. :)
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    d_20 said:
    I had an exo in D2 as well. But I haven't seen a game where all the playable races were robots. There was one game, an mmo (I think) that shut down. It was like mech warriors or something. Didn't feel a lot of connection to the avatar. But it won't matter to others.
    I think RF Online had robots or a 'robotic' race at least that you could play, the game wasn't all that successful, though how much of that was a factor in its demise, i really couldn't say.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    maybe

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited November 2017
    Torval said:
    My hunter in Destiny 2 is an Exo. I'm open to playing robots, mecha, mutants, cybernetics. It depends more on whether I can create a persona I identify with in some way than it does on the specific skin and origin. If I can connect with that robot character/persona in some way then sure.
    @Torval Said it better than I would of.  I am basically the same. 2 out of 3 of my D2 guys are Exos.  Also enjoyed the robot race in Wildstar.   One of my favorite non-human races are the Charr from GW2 (not to get off track lol).  I never play humans if I have a choice for robots, beastmen, mutants, aliens etc.
    [Deleted User]
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Sure why not. Might even be fun to rp
    Canibaloler
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Why not ? as long as it cool enough to replace the boobs , aside then no .

Then again , most robot/droid wasn't any difference than male in full body armor . I want something inhuman , something with more than 2 legs and 2 hand with tentacles
    4507MrMelGibson
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Idm playing this android;

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    It has to have NO pvp, because all the QQ will make us rust!
    immodium4507PhryMrMelGibson
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    edited November 2017
    Players in MMOs suffer from humanitis, they always like to play humans. If such a MMO was released the most human looking robot would be the one most picked.

But I think it is a great idea, might as well play a robot before they take over the world. :)
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    I would definitely play a robot like Twiki for example if I got to hang around Erin Gray all day.  :p

dougha1Scot4507laseritPhryMrMelGibson

• CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
    Does anyone remember Hellgate: London ? I realy liked this project .. too bad didn't make it though :( Bad timing I guess..
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I don't know. I never have but that doesn't mean I couldn't.
  • dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    I like my character to look sexy, so... not interested in playing a robot-looking character.

Well, unless we're talking the Erin Gray situation as described by Immodium. Dayum, she was hot back in the day. ;)
    immodium4507
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    d_20 said:
    Did you mean Perpetuum ?
    Was involved during the beta, but did not stick around to see how it went at launch.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Warforged for life!!!!
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    The best game I've ever played for robots was CoH/CoV.  The parts you could select were cool, the animations were righteous, and it fit into the lore.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I did in RF Online years ago.
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    No problem with doing so whatsoever.  It's just as feasible as playing any fantasy creature, human, or any other life form depending upon the environment.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I tried it in a couple games and it just never felt right.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    DMKano said:
    Yes.

I dont see why anyone wouldnt honestly.

Well, because people do like to play characters they can identify with.

For me? A robot or droid? No. "A replicant"? yes.

And also if it was more "robot" than "human" as far as appearance then no.

4507MrMelGibson
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Of course.

I usually pick the strangest or silliest  race in the game.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    YES, absolutely. It would be nice to have another option.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    With risking that I will sound like a broken record (after the shape-shifting thread and the non-bipedal thread :wink: ), I just have to add CO in here too.

Not only can you play as any kind of robots you want, as your character, but it also has a whole wester-themed town of robots, NPCs and mobs alike - actually it is easier to describe now, with the series went live, it's a Westworld hommage :smiley:  not for the show of course, it's in the game since years before that, but to the original movie. Brynner was awesome in it.

Also, there's a storyline around robots too, since one of the oldest Champions (the IP) villains is Mechanon. http://championsonline.wikia.com/wiki/Mechanon
    laserit