Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Titan Quest - THQ Nordic Announces Expansion Called Ragnarok - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageTitan Quest - THQ Nordic Announces Expansion Called Ragnarok - MMORPG.com News

In news completely out of left field, THQ Nordic has announced a brand new expansion for Titan Quest Anniversary Edition. Called Ragnarok, the expansion continues the storyline from the lands of antiquity to Northern Europe with new enemies, powers and treasures. This is the fifth act of the critically acclaimed game.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    I am all over this. I guess the success of Grim Dawn has rubbed off on the game engine.
    Rasheedrp
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    This.
    Is.
    AWESOME!!!!

I can't wait!!!!!!!!
    [Deleted User]PhaedruslivesMadFrenchieConstantineMeruswingood[Deleted User]Ghavrigg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

It's available right now? Instant purchase.
    SBFord
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    edited November 2017
    Apparently Titan Quest Anniversary Edition is 80% off on Steam right now. I remember playing a demo of Titan quest back when it first came out. I guess I have plans for the weekend now.
    Xarko said:
    Apparently Titan Quest Anniversary Edition is 80% off on Steam right now. I remember playing a demo of Titan quest back when it first came out. I guess I have plans for the weekend now.
    You know, it's a 10 year old plus game but you'd never know it. Looks and plays better than a lot of ARPGs and....mythology! YAY! You'll have a great time!
    ElvocAlomar[Deleted User]wingood

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546

SBFord said:

Xarko said:

You know, it's a 10 year old plus game but you'd never know it. Looks and plays better than a lot of ARPGs and....mythology! YAY! You'll have a great time!

Yea its definitely a game done right ...so glad they are adding to it and keeping it alive.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    I bought this game on sale years ago, but never got around to playing it. Looks like I just found a reason to.
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    I'm speechless.

Literally.
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180

Cygi said:

I'm speechless.

Literally.

At least your typing seems to remain intact.
    ConstantineMerusMrMelGibson
    edited November 2017
    Gorwe said:

I am all over this. I guess the success of Grim Dawn has rubbed off on the game engine.
    Grim Dawn has nothing NOTHING to do with this. This is THQ Nordic, GD is Crate.

Still, this is awesome.
    Sorry, not sorry. Crate Entertainment used to be Ironlore that developed Titan Quest. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_Quest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Lore_Entertainment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crate_Entertainment
    [Deleted User]k61977klash2defwingoodCelcius[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Im a fan of Diablo and love Torchlight 2 , Iv never played this one, should I Be ?
    SBFord[Deleted User]Xarko
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

thunderC said:
    Im a fan of Diablo and love Torchlight 2 , Iv never played this one, should I Be ?
    Absolutely worth every penny -- and there aren't many pennies needed for a ton of fun. Just be sure to get the 10th Anniversary Edition so you can play the expansion if you like it. :)
    JeffSpicoliGorweAlexanderVendiwingoodMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318
    So can this game be bought outside of Steam? I avoid steam like crazy.

Also, what is the builder like? Can you build puzzles and your own map?
    Semantics @Gorwe but whatevs. It's Friday so meh. ;)
    Gorwe[Deleted User]forcelimaThomas2006wingoodSevenwind

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Man this hit me by surprise,  it will give me something to do as I wait for PoE's new league/expansion after I'm done playing the 10 day race events they got going on now.

what a great time to be an arpg fan  :D
    Gorwe
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130

Gorwe said:

SBFord said:

Gorwe said:

Still, this is awesome.

Sorry, not sorry. Crate Entertainment used to be Ironlore that developed Titan Quest. ;)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_Quest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Lore_Entertainment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crate_Entertainment

Don't be smart now. Let's see how this works:

ILE made TQ, right?

Then they decided to do a dumb move and make Soulstorm.

They went broke.

The respective IPs were left to their "owners" as a part of bankruptcy payout(TQ at THQ and SS at Relic).

They went and formed a new studio with like 6 ILE founding members, now named Crate Ent.

CE decided to make and kickstart Grim Dawn.

GD is a resounding success.

THQ went bankrupt.

Nordic Games eventually manages to get the THQ prefix and becomes THQ Nordic.

THQ Nordic starts collecting IPs of fallen giant THQ and publishing them under its wing(Darksiders, Titan Quest etc). THQ:N releases TQ: Anniversary Edition.

THQ Nordic makes TQ: Ragnarok.

Corollary:

GD = Crate Entertainment

TQ = THQ Nordic

GD and TQ have nothing to do with each other. Except that GD is a spiritual successor of TQ.

What code and engine is Grim Dawn made from?
    GorweCelcius
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I bought Titan Quest Gold edition a number of years ago and played a few times but the game just never clicked with me for some reason.
    [Deleted User]Hariken
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Forgrimm said:
    I bought Titan Quest Gold edition a number of years ago and played a few times but the game just never clicked with me for some reason.
    Me too, but I think the wound was self-inflicted.  I created an auto-attack build and it was borrrrinnnggg.  Seemed to be the most powerful build, though.  Made the same mistake in Grim Dawn.

I'm going to reinstall and try to create an active skill-based build, instead.  The art and such was pretty pleasing to the eye.
    Tokken

edited November 2017
    Gorwe said:

Still, this is awesome.
    I'm well aware they were made by different entities.

Grim Dawn uses a modded version of the Titan Quest engine.. and for all your apparent knowledge about the two companies you've either decided to completely omit that detail or didn't even know. So, saying they have nothing in common is a bit of a stretch.

Grim Dawn isn't simply a spiritual successor, it's literally an evolution of the same game with the lead designer for Titan Quest (pre-anniversary) leading the development for Grim Dawn. All of this info is in the original Kickstarter video for Grim Dawn.

You think it's purely a coincidence that they've started working on Titan Quest again when Grim Dawn is using the same engine? They've seen people still like it and decided to revisit. That's all I meant.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    forcelimaSBFordAsm0deuswingoodLiljna
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    So maybe this will be the first of many more expansions?
    SBFord
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    @Gorwe issuuuuuuuuuues......
    forcelimaLastlaughlolSevenwind
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited November 2017
    Gorwe said:

Still, this is awesome.

Grim Dawn uses a modded version of the Titan Quest engine.. and for all your apparent knowledge about the two companies you've either decided to completely omit that detail or didn't even know. So, saying they have nothing in common is a bit of a stretch.

Grim Dawn isn't simply a spiritual successor, it's literally an evolution of the same game with the lead designer for Titan Quest (pre-anniversary) leading the development for Grim Dawn. All of this info is in the original Kickstarter video for Grim Dawn.

You think it's purely a coincidence that they've started working on Titan Quest again when Grim Dawn is using the same engine? They've seen people still like it and decided to revisit. That's all I meant.

Still feel good?
    I think it'd be more accurate to say this expansion (possibly) comes indirectly as a result of Grim Dawn's success.  Because Titan Quest Anniversary Edition came out AFTER Grim Dawn did, if I recall correctly (I could be wrong?), so if anything, it'd be THAT game that rode off of Grim Dawn's success.  This is an expansion to Titan Quest Anniversary, and odds are pretty good that the MAIN factor that led to them deciding to develop it was Titan Quest Anniversary's sales, not Grim Dawn's sales, for reasons which I hope would be obvious.

Of course, because Grim Dawn is likely partially to credit for Titan Quest Anniversary's sales (well, I brought it when I heard it was made by the same developers and I heard several others did too, at least.  ...at least if my memory is correct.  I'm getting old, okay?), you could thus say that Grim Dawn is indirectly responsible for them deciding to make this expansion too.  But only indirectly by helping the original Titan Quest Anniversary Edition's sales, because I'm sure they wouldn't have made it if Titan Quest Anniversary Edition didn't sell well in the first place.
    edited November 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    Gorwe said:

Still, this is awesome.

Still feel good?
    I think it'd be more accurate to say this expansion (possibly) comes indirectly as a result of Grim Dawn's success.  Because Titan Quest Anniversary Edition came out AFTER Grim Dawn did, if I recall correctly (I could be wrong?), so if anything, it'd be THAT game that rode off of Grim Dawn's success.  This is an expansion to Titan Quest Anniversary, and odds are pretty good that the MAIN factor that led to them deciding to develop it was Titan Quest Anniversary's sales, not Grim Dawn's sales, for reasons which I hope would be obvious.

Of course, because Grim Dawn is likely partially to credit for Titan Quest Anniversary's sales (well, I brought it when I heard it was made by the same developers and I heard several others did too, at least.  ...at least if my memory is correct.  I'm getting old, okay?), you could thus say that Grim Dawn is indirectly responsible for them deciding to make this expansion too.  But only indirectly by helping the original Titan Quest Anniversary Edition's sales, because I'm sure they wouldn't have made it if Titan Quest Anniversary Edition didn't sell well in the first place.
    I think both games are just riding off the success of each other. Grim Dawn's main selling point was Titan Quest's legacy. I'm willing to bet that the majority of GD founders were Titan Quest fans. That's certainly why I backed it.

It's possible TQ Anniversary was merely a setup for this expansion, they gave it for free to everyone who already owned Titan Quest after all... which was a lot of people. Could all be part of a plan; give them a free anniversary edition as a prelude for the upcoming expansion... pick up a few new sales on along the way and gain a lot of interest for the expansion when we surprise them with it. So, it could be the opposite of what you're saying, the expansion might have been the reason for the anniversary edition.

Your theory is possible too but I think mine is quite likely considering that they must have begun working on the expansion immediately after, or before, the launch of the anniversary edition in Aug 2016 for it to be completed by today.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'm happy with this.  I haven't played Titan Quest in awhile, but I remember it as a pretty solid ARPG.  Lots of different skills to learn, so replaying it isn't always a bore.  Since EQ1 is choking me without All Access, and EQ2 likes to crash to desktop if I turn Streaming on, a brief return to Titan Quest won't hurt.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    Now my weekend just got A LOT more exciting!