Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Embattled Star Wars: Battlefront II Microtransaction System Taken Offline - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    I wonder why this was the game to truly anger the players. I would love to see all games with loot boxes be given an adult only rating and subject to strict rules.
    Slapshot1188BruceYeeNildenIselinOzmodan[Deleted User]infomatzGorweThuplicameltosisand 1 other.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017
    IceAge said:

aliven said:

So after people spend shitton of money to have edge on the start now they will keep that edge because they fucked up progression in game.

Bravo.

BruceYee said:

It took a big company like EA to bring loot boxes into the spotlight which is good I guess.

Hopefully this leads to the end of them in every game and the ability the buy stuff without losing to RNG.

Actually, Overwatch brought the lootboxes into the big stage. 

Team Fortress 2 brought them to the west originally. Is it safe to say Overwatch is kind of a Team Fortress clone? I sort of think it is.

Definitely very very heavily influenced by TF2:

"blatant ripoff of the game modes; control, king of the hill, and especially payload maps, and the heroes; Tracer vs. Scout, Pharah vs. Soldier, Junkrat vs. Demoman, Zarya vs. Heavy, Torbjörn vs. Engineer, Mercy vs. Medic, Widowmaker vs. Sniper - only Pyro and Spy weren’t represented closely, although one could argue that Mei is Overwatch’s Pyro and Reaper its Spy."

- From some reddit post someone made

...and yet , Blizzard dev's has clearly said that Overwatch was influenced , along other games , by TF2. So they never denied that they didn't ...copy things from other games, including TF2.

Everyone should watch this :
    I'm not criticising Overwatch for being influenced by TF2. I'm pointing out that Valve actually started all this. I think it was CS:GO that started the first microtransactions in the west as well with the helmets, not 100% sure they were the first though so don't quote me on it. 
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    I wonder why this was the game to truly anger the players. I would love to see all games with loot boxes be given an adult only rating and subject to strict rules.

So true but I think its the fact that such iconic characters are hidden behind a massive grind to unlock just one or an insane paywall along with the retail cost. On top of that they are messing with the star wars franchise which has a very strong following and just like other beloved franchises when the fans feel wronged watch out.

Not to mention EA continually drags there name through mud and makes things worse and worse.

RexKushmanOzmodan
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    aliven said:
    So after people spend shitton of money to have edge on the start now they will keep that edge because they fucked up progression in game.

Bravo.

BruceYee said:
    It took a big company like EA to bring loot boxes into the spotlight which is good I guess.
    Hopefully this leads to the end of them in every game and the ability the buy stuff without losing to RNG.
    Team Fortress 2 brought them to the west originally. Is it safe to say Overwatch is kind of a Team Fortress clone? I sort of think it is.

"blatant ripoff of the game modes; control, king of the hill, and especially payload maps, and the heroes; Tracer vs. Scout, Pharah vs. Soldier, Junkrat vs. Demoman, Zarya vs. Heavy, Torbjörn vs. Engineer, Mercy vs. Medic, Widowmaker vs. Sniper - only Pyro and Spy weren’t represented closely, although one could argue that Mei is Overwatch’s Pyro and Reaper its Spy."

BIG. STAGE. Key words. 
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Lol, I wonder how long until they turn them back on... my guess would be right around the time the refund period expires.

Also short of totally overhauling the system I don't think it's going to make much difference, P2W or not, random upgrades are a s**t system that never should have been implimented in the first place.
    IselinThupli
  • LuidenLuiden Member RarePosts: 336
    edited November 2017
    The best part about all of this is that it highlights just how stupid millennials are.  Game companies have been doing this to you for years, it's the P2W model but for some reason you just flock to it like you are getting some huge deal.  You bitch and cry about the traditional monthly charge but then you blow hundreds if not thousands of dollars on a game.

The reason why this is blowing up is because a document got released that showed just how much money they would make off you.  Do you think this is new to this game?  No, if you saw how much money games have been making off you with cash shops for years you would probably puke all over yourself.

Hopefully this will be the thing that opens some eyes and gets rid of this P2W, F2P or whatever other arse backwards model these games are coming up with to rip you off.
    OzmodanpantaroSandboxGorwe
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Good luck unlocking in this game, I hear it is an unimaginable number to unlock everything.  Knowing the short attention span of many console players, only a masochist would attempt such.
    BruceYee
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    So the outrage is outdated again? Not only has the fat lady not sung, she is not even in the building yet.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I suspect this decision was only made to suppress some fire to keep selling. EA is so corrupt that they'll rip customers off twice as hard after current storm is somewhat quieted.
    Gdemami
    Siug said:
    I suspect this decision was only made to suppress some fire to keep selling. EA is so corrupt that they'll rip customers off twice as hard after current storm is somewhat quieted.
    I get what you're saying but I don't think this is your typical storm that will go quiet. They may just have gone far enough to start killing the goose that was laying all those golden eggs for themselves and for every other AAA publisher.
    SiugNildenGdemamiThupli
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Iselin said:
    Siug said:
    I get what you're saying but I don't think this is your typical storm that will go quiet. They may just have gone far enough to start killing the goose that was laying all those golden eggs for themselves and for every other AAA publisher.
    I so hope so. Been hoping for this kind of storm for years tbh.
    On the side note: mmorpg.com gave this p2w title 85 i.e positive review on Metacritic.
    NildenThupli
    Siug said:
    Iselin said:
    Siug said:
    I so hope so. Been hoping for this kind of storm for years tbh.
    On the side note: mmorpg.com gave this p2w title 85 i.e positive review on Metacritic.
    Best review I've seen so far:  https://www.slantmagazine.com/games/review/star-wars-battlefront-ii 

Made me stick around their website for a while looking at some of their movie and TV reviews... I like it.
    Gdemami

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    THE CHANGE IS TEMPORARY - THEY ARE GOING TO BRING IT BACK ! ( so they say themselves )

EA is pulling a scam level of 10 year old. Its retarded ... lol

Basically they are pulling cash shop until people do first reviews and first batch of people buys the game. And than they will bring it back.

The level of scummy marketing is epic on this one.
    SandboxNildenSiugGdemamiCoolitGorweThupli

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2017
    Removing them wont get BF2 to game of the year. They already screwed the pooch.

And the golden poop award is still coming to haunt them.
    Thupli

• ShinobeShinobe Member UncommonPosts: 91
    What did EA say: You will buy it anyway :D
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Image result for star wars it's a trap
    Shodanasd_20mklinicCrazKanuk

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661
    edited November 2017
    I'm sure the fact SW:BF2 set the new lowest user score record ever on Metacritic would have went down well with the share holders too. http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/star-wars-battlefront-ii

This is still not over, the transactions are only TEMPORARILY disabled and may well come back just as intrusive after launch.
    Thupli
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    CoolitOctagon7711

• ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited November 2017
    Apparently they saw pre-order and sale numbers go down the drain and went into full damage control mode. Players/customers should not be fooled by this move and must continue to speak with their wallets. Only when SWBF II sale figures receive unsalvageable damage will the EA suits learn their lesson.
    Siugd_20Thupli
  • Leon1eLeon1e Member UncommonPosts: 791
    This shitshow is kinda cool and then again it's kinda bad :c 

Evidently, Battlefront 2 is a cool, fun game (with awful progression system). It rights the wrongs of BF 1. And then some. And, well, it's star wars man. After decades of shitty SW games I'm up for anything that's AAA and decent. 

But that progression system man. Why were they so dumb to come up with it? This is so freaking infuriating. Did they really think parents will stand-by their children, purchasing loot boxes in the hopes that their kids will earn the item they want? What? 

Star Wars has always been a kids show. That's the sole fucking reason Disney invested into purchasing the whole IP. If you want to milk parents, milk them properly. Make cool items and put a god damn price tag on them, like every other game under the sun. 

Furthermore, why are they bringing up F2P schemes into a 60$ game? 

Fuck man this whole mambo jumbo frustrates me so damn much :c It is a good game, but the marketing guys at the EA dropped the ball so hard on this one, this game will be a barren land in no time. 

Back to Jedi Academy MP for me :D 
    Shodanas
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited November 2017

Coolit said:

I'm sure the fact SW:BF2 set the new lowest user score record ever on Metacritic would have went down well with the share holders too. http://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/star-wars-battlefront-ii

This is still not over, the transactions are only TEMPORARILY disabled and may well come back just as intrusive after launch.

Wow.. I did not know that scores bellow 1 (0.8 ATM) are actually registrable in metacritic. :)
    Post edited by Shodanas on
    SiugThupli
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Shodanas said:

Coolit said:

Wow.. I did not know that scores bellow 1 (0.8 ATM) are actually registrable in metacritic. :)
    Don't quote me on this but I think I heard metacritic is going to introduce microscores just for EA games. ;)
    CoolitSiugThupli
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    So I read that announcement but in my head it said this:

"Dear Players,
    We'd like to apologise for failing to pull the wool over your eyes with our latest loot crate scam. Many of you realised that this was nothing but a big pay to win clusterfuck and now our investors and shareholders are in a panic in case the game bombs.

We've decided to take the loot crates and pay to win out of the game, FOR NOW! Once you all calm down, and after we've sold a fuck ton of units, we'll be re-introducing these game breaking mechanics so we can milk as much money as we can from all you idiots out there, who quite frankly should know by now that we can't be fucking trusted! MUAHAHAHA!

We're sorry we have to do this but you were to damned smart for us this time. Not to worry, we'll figure out more ways to rip you off soon enough.

Thanks, suckers!"

I must be getting cynical in my old age.
    ShodanasacidbloodCoolitThuplicameltosisNildenTacticalZombeh
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017
    aliven said:
    aliven said:

Bravo.

BruceYee said:

BIG. STAGE. Key words. 
    Valve isn't the big stage? I mean they only operate the biggest digital games platform ever made and practically define PC gaming...
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DillingerEPDillingerEP Member UncommonPosts: 366
    edited November 2017
    EA can still kiss my buttocks, they had the nerve to do the same thing with the new Need for Speed, and are going to get away selling a 3 year old game in Sims 4 to console full price. They helped ruined Mass Effect Andromeda... closed studios down to bleed them dry and absorb them, and this was only this year. This company has shown way to many times in the past too.. that they absolutely don't give a rats butt about any of us. I'm just waiting for them to absorb Bioware, Dice, and few other studios soon.