Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny 2 - Curse of Osiris Hands-On Preview - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageDestiny 2 - Curse of Osiris Hands-On Preview - MMORPG.com

It feels like just yesterday I was logging into the Destiny 2 servers for the first time and grinding my way to a power level of 305. Now that we’ve thrashed Ghaul and the Red Legion and (SPOILER ALERT!) the Traveller has reawakened there’s going to be even more problems focusing their site on our little corner of the universe. The latest threat heading our way will have guardians flying off to Mercury in Destiny 2’s first expansion, The Curse of Osiris.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    "What we can say is that initially you’ll revisit all the original sectors (EDZ, IO, Titan…) as .." thats why its not a freaking Destiniy 2. Its still Destiny 1 with some better textures. Guildwars 1 did texture upgrade too with the translation of dx8 to dx9, but they didnt call that suddenly Guildwars 2.
    LackingMMOTheScavenger
  • droppdropp Member UncommonPosts: 93

exile01 said:

"What we can say is that initially you’ll revisit all the original sectors (EDZ, IO, Titan…) as .." thats why its not a freaking Destiniy 2. Its still Destiny 1 with some better textures. Guildwars 1 did texture upgrade too with the translation of dx8 to dx9, but they didnt call that suddenly Guildwars 2.

I'm not sure what you mean. Those sectors are only available in Destiny 2; the first game didn't have these areas.
    While D2 is very similar to D1, they did add completely new areas, changed the progression mechanics and how the story is presented, while maintaining the original gameplay which was fantastic to begin with.
    You may say the enemies have barely changed, and that's true and I find it disappointing myself, I still understand why they had to do that from story perspectives.
    In my humble opinion, D2 is more of the same but in a much better package, with most major flaws of the first game addressed.
    MagikarpsGhost
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

exile01 said:

Erm none of those where in destiny 1

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I am really glad that I’m slow. But now I need to hurry and get ready for December 5th.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    This is what pisses me off so much with the current crop of publishers. This isn't content that's been developed after release. You don't get an expansion done in 2 months. Obviously this content was either finished or close to complete when the game launched but deliberately withheld so they could squeeze some more cash from the playerbase.
    MikehaalivenPhixion13some-clueless-guy
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    This is what pisses me off so much with the current crop of publishers. This isn't content that's been developed after release. You don't get an expansion done in 2 months. Obviously this content was either finished or close to complete when the game launched but deliberately withheld so they could squeeze some more cash from the playerbase.
    Is it really different than an MMO releasing its first update 2-3 months after launch? Since there's no sub or other microtransactions, it seems fair to ask for some compensation. 
    AlexanderVendiPhixion13[Deleted User]Psym0n

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431

Is it really different than an MMO releasing its first update 2-3 months after launch? Since there's no sub or other microtransactions, it seems fair to ask for some compensation. 

I hear you...to degree, I agree. But considering the vast majority of complaints stem from "nothing to do", and they already had additional content in their back pocket for a $$-expansion, I can also understand the masses' frustration.

I personally do not have any issue with paying 15-20$ for a DLC, even 2-3 months after release. But I fear that its not going to fix the larger issues with the game which really boil down to replayability. At the current, once you reach 265-270, grinding public events/strikes/crucible/etc become less and less fruitful. You're on an appointment schedule each week for the weekly reset. And then you're done with the larger power upgrades. People want to play the game, so shouldn't the dev entertain that?

Back on point a little, I think that this expansion might be a few quests, and all the run-of-the-mill stuff you would expect, with very little change to the core pillars of the game or any of the systems. After many years, developers have zero excuse and should not be caught flat footed when players chew through content at an outrageous pace. I feel that this expansion might give you 2-5 hours of missions, another 2 or 3 with crucible/strikes, and whatever the raid entails. Eh. People will chew through that in a matter of days, and we are back to square one.

So I can definitely understand people getting pissed about an expansion so soon with, most likely, a lack of substance, and just another layer of the same.

Psym0n
  • bones1011bones1011 Member UncommonPosts: 7

No Microtrans? What the Frick is the Eververse then? Still this is the same stuff they did back in D1. Locked all x-pacs behind a pay wall. Difference was, Eververse wasn't around until after the 3rd X-pac. (Even though Bungle did state they would never have microtrans. Then when they did, they stated they would never put a level boaster in it. Of course then they did.) Besides, I truly believe that all the paywall and microtrans crap is from Activision.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It still feels like it pays to wait about a year to get a game when most of the issues have been worked out.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I am really glad that I’m slow. But now I need to hurry and get ready for December 5th.

If it's a game I plan on spending years playing I see very little reason to rush. Or you have to put a review. :)
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

I would agree, but if you release a base game that severally lacking in content and story, to the point people don't know what to do, and on top of that remove content ideas that were in your previous version of the game, then turn around and try to sell us DLC. Just feels like they're trying to sell us back content that would otherwise fill out the base game.

A good qutoe from their forums:

"The game should have been good enough that we purchase DLC because we WANT more of what it offered, not because the original experience was poor and it's required to make it better."

jmcdermottukwekyPhryAyin
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    I have played many mmo's, but I got bored with this game faster than any that I have ever played.
  • MagikarpsGhostMagikarpsGhost Member RarePosts: 689

Thorkune said:

I have played many mmo's, but I got bored with this game faster than any that I have ever played.

That's because it's not a mmo XD. For me it at least holds my attention better then cod ww2
    ZenJelly

free 7 day sub and unlocks for swtor new accounts and 90+ day inactive subs click here to get it!

Click here for trove referral, bonuses to both!

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

It's the timing. And to be honest I know of very few MMO's that have content updates 2-3 months after release. They tend to have sufficient content to keep the players busy longer than that. I have no problem with paying for additional content. I have a problem with paying full price for a game that lacks content then being asked to pay for more content mere weeks after release. It's tacky. Actually it's not, it's disgusting.
  • alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346

Lucky you. Im unable to play because game keeps crashing to desktop. New feature apparantly introduced in hotfix 1.0.6 something. New one didnt fix it.

There is huge base of other pc players having this issue. So, yeah, they seems dont give a flying fuck.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    ill buy anything good guess what i played destiny 1 beta and it sucked and i played destiny 2 beta and got bored after 30 min.i am not interested in this average overpriced and over hyped crap game!
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    If it was free DLC that would be one thing, but if you have to buy it, then its pretty much a kick in the teeth for anyone who bought the game full price. Its this kind of bullcr@p that Bungie pulled with Destiny 1, they obviously haven't learned their lesson. It seems Bungie needs to learn the same lesson that DICE/EA is learning with SW:BF2.
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Bungie is unlikely to learn any lessons. They are after all Bungie... Look at the major mistakes they've made on Destiny 2, yet they refuse to admit it, or change any of them.

It doesn't matter how many people leave, they already have your money. I was quite looking forward to Destiny 2, but I'm rather disappointed in it now. It remains to be seen, how this turns out in the Fullness of Time™.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
    I'm enjoying it. Leveled Hunter and Warlock through the story and leveled the Titan to nearly the end of the story mission. I'll probably finish the Titan much later on down the road. As of now I really like the Hunter and Warlock and play them every day. If it ceases to be fun I'll find something else to play, shouldn't be a problem with everything being put on sale for the holidays.
    [Deleted User]