Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blue Post wow classic forum

waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Ashaia[Deleted User]

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited November 2017
    waynejr2 said:
    I think Preach gaming had the right idea in just wanting Blizzard to release it as is and then after some time of being live then people with at least 1 max level toon can give proper feedback to weed out the trolls because asking for feedback now is honestly pointless. All Blizzard is going to get are people who played "Vanilla" on private servers or people who may have hazzy memories of how things used to be without any proof that they were there since the beginning (some not all of course) and could attest to what they are responding to.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited November 2017
    Post raised all the same considerations I did last week.

http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/469360/the-easy-decision-to-create-classic-servers-was-just-the-beginning#latest

They should hire me huh?   

B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited November 2017
    http://www.mmorpg.com/world-of-warcraft/news/official-classic-server-forums-aflame-in-class-balance-debate-1000046398

This blue post, while recent, is just a rehash of all that was written by both blues over the last several days. 

Honesty, I don't get why people can't discuss things like rational creatures...then I remember that this is the interwebz and manners are kaput.
    [Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Pffft, you were late to the party

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Albatroes said:
    waynejr2 said:
    I think Preach gaming had the right idea in just wanting Blizzard to release it as is and then after some time of being live then people with at least 1 max level toon can give proper feedback to weed out the trolls because asking for feedback now is honestly pointless. All Blizzard is going to get are people who played "Vanilla" on private servers or people who may have hazzy memories of how things used to be without any proof that they were there since the beginning (some not all of course) and could attest to what they are responding to.
    Why the need for a max level character?  I think many people just want to level alts in vanilla .. because it was a leveling game at first... instead of rushing to the max
    Gdemami

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    While a rehash, the interesting parts are that they're not trying to "reinvent the wheel" hints at the plans to keep a lot of the old systems as intact as possible.  All signs point to them not creating a significantly altered experience, but rather making only things that can reasonably be considered "kbjective" improvements (i.e. bug fixes).
    [Deleted User]

edited November 2017
    Albatroes said:
    waynejr2 said:
    Why the need for a max level character?  I think many people just want to level alts in vanilla .. because it was a leveling game at first... instead of rushing to the max
    To raid of course, and now players will have a chance to do the raiding they missed the first time around, especially considering there should be no worry of an expansion coming along and replacing it all in the near future.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    The official "classic" forum is quite amusing to read, to be honest.
    There are still some "purists" who believe that Blizzard will give them a carbon copy of November 2004 WoW, with all the flaws those who don't wear rose colored glasses know about. Those guys are in for a very harsh reality check I think.
    But isn't that what they said state their goal is?  To recreate vanilla WoW as closely as possible?  Brack himself said, in summary, that they intended to add no quality of life improvements, but some people still seem to think that features that were added after vanilla are on the table.  I think they're the ones who are in for a rude awakening.  Blizzard wouldn't have announced they're doing this only to disappoint the very people who asked for it. 
    I don't think they would either, but I believe Blizzard is open to making changes that they feel is objectively an improvement.  I wouldn't expect to see new talents, LFD/R, and such. But group looting?  I'd say that's on the table and will likely be implemented.  Things that don't affect the "feel" of vanilla.

I'd imagine they'll err on the side of caution in making those changes for the reason you mention, though.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    The official "classic" forum is quite amusing to read, to be honest.
    There are still some "purists" who believe that Blizzard will give them a carbon copy of November 2004 WoW, with all the flaws those who don't wear rose colored glasses know about. Those guys are in for a very harsh reality check I think.

For me, it should be  classic = anti-QOL edition.   The problem is that people fixate on patch numbers.  I loved AV1.5 and thought each change that removed quests/mobs/minefields took away from that.  So if you put the game at AV1.5, other things from other patches wouldn't get added into the game.  And if you instead put in later patch, say 1.12.1, then AV1.5 is ruined for me.

People are also fixed on numbers.  Suppose vanilla server cap was 3000 to make up a number and was set at 75% of what a server could handle.  You wouldn't want to red line that server.  Now for classic, some would say cap at 3000, but you could do 75% with the same tech, and keep it "vanilla" from a different point of view.

If they don't reproduce the vanilla experience the private servers will stay open.  That doesn't available content as some might imply, but class mechanics and such.  Adding something like LFG would ruin it again.

They ruined their game.  They don't have the numbers or growth they used to have.  Repeating the same mistakes would be stupid.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    as far as class balance is concerned, by patch 1.12.1 most things had been sorted out; there were still some issues with certain specs (i.e. ret. paladins in pve) but I believe this is something that would have been resolved with gear in future content patches - AQ and Naxx gear for ret. paladins is a nice example of where things were headed. I don't believe Blizzard would have made significant changes to game mechanics or skills.

QoL improvements, that's another story. I don't think there is any point in not implementing certain QoL functions that were provided by add-ons at the time. Certainly not LFG/LFD the way it worked in WotLK
    [Deleted User]
    Galadourn said:
    as far as class balance is concerned, by patch 1.12.1 most things had been sorted out; there were still some issues with certain specs (i.e. ret. paladins in pve) but I believe this is something that would have been resolved with gear in future content patches - AQ and Naxx gear for ret. paladins is a nice example of where things were headed. I don't believe Blizzard would have made significant changes to game mechanics or skills.

QoL improvements, that's another story. I don't think there is any point in not implementing certain QoL functions that were provided by add-ons at the time. Certainly not LFG/LFD the way it worked in WotLK
    Good point, for a true vanilla experience they need to do away with mods such as gear score which came out long after vanilla.

In my day we had to do visual inspections of your gear to determine if you were raid ready.

Unfortunately there were dps/healing meters but I'd love to see those go too.