Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile - War for the Atlas Revealed - New Challenges & Ways to Play - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imagePath of Exile - War for the Atlas Revealed - New Challenges & Ways to Play - MMORPG.com

Path of Exile will be expanding in December with War for the Atlas. While Fall of Oriath was an expansion that gave newer players a lot of great content to explore, War for the Atlas is designed to provide new experiences to the game's veteran players. Players will be able to take on challenging fights through new locations and be able to claim some brand new rewards for their efforts. We had a chance to sit down with Grinding Gear's Chris Wilson to learn more.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• davc123davc123 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    edited November 2017

Gorwe said:

Will the bosses finally get balanced or are they balanced around elitists running amok in ridiculous gear?

what you talking about? lol you want make game ez as d3 ? lol
    cranthug
  • skoupidiskoupidi Member UncommonPosts: 244

Gorwe said:

davc123 said:

Gorwe said:

Will the bosses finally get balanced or are they balanced around elitists running amok in ridiculous gear?

No, but Kitava and Innocence are silly.

edit: Be as it may, I am shaming the Great Celestial Order by asking these stupid questions. The answer is like 90% NO.

Can't we have a game that isn't for everyone? There are tons of options that have easier content and/or cater to casual players.

Gorwe said:

skoupidi said:

Gorwe said:

davc123 said:

Gorwe said:

edit: Be as it may, I am shaming the Great Celestial Order by asking these stupid questions. The answer is like 90% NO.

Can't we have a game that isn't for everyone? There are tons of options that have easier content and/or cater to casual players.

But would it hurt? Those are like two enemies that quite clearly stand aside. Almost like pre nerf Malachai.

Yes it would hurt. It is fine for the last act to have challenging bosses, there are people who enjoy it, like me. In fact, i would love a new boss fight that can bring will the thrill of killing uber atziri/shaper for the first time. Hopefully the Elder and his guardians will deliver.
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566

Gorwe said:

I think this is a fair question. Challenging content is fine but everything remotely end game is gated behind very high gear and build requirements that no person would reasonably have without fully investing in the market and adopting other people's builds.

It's a great way to create community but I think it also detracts from any real sense of personal achievement. The game is fine the way it is but it would be great to have more alternatives to buying builds on the market. Crafting is nice but it doesn't cover the unique mods that some builds require.

That being said, I definitely do not like the one shot mechanics...
    BruceYee

Dagon13 said:

Gorwe said:

I think this is a fair question. Challenging content is fine but everything remotely end game is gated behind very high gear and build requirements that no person would reasonably have without fully investing in the market and adopting other people's builds.

It's a great way to create community but I think it also detracts from any real sense of personal achievement. The game is fine the way it is but it would be great to have more alternatives to buying builds on the market. Crafting is nice but it doesn't cover the unique mods that some builds require.

Sure, not all builds are at the same power. Or some are better for lab running, or mfing , or fast map clearing , or specialized for bosses. But, there are a lot of builds that can clear endgame content without requiring absurd gear. You can't expect to use random gear and a random skill tree and be able to cruise through the game. You need experience with the game's mechanics, gear , and its skills.

And trading is here to stay, the game has been designed from the beginning with trading in mind. Lastly,how does the game lack real sense of personal achievement ? I literally don't understand what you mean with that phrase.

Gorwe said:

skoupidi said:

Dagon13 said:

Gorwe said:

Sure, not all builds are at the same power. Or some are better for lab running, or mfing , or fast map clearing , or specialized for bosses. But, there are a lot of builds that can clear endgame content without requiring absurd gear. You can't expect to use random gear and a random skill tree and be able to cruise through the game. You need experience with the game's mechanics, gear , and its skills.

And trading is here to stay, the game has been designed from the beginning with trading in mind. Lastly,how does the game lack real sense of personal achievement ? I literally don't understand what you mean with that phrase.

So, one shots are fair? And a good design choice?

Since the rework of volatiles they are fine, yes. The only oneshots left in the game are endgame bosses that have windup animations and require you to move and avoid them. It is an action rpg after all.
  • csc2004csc2004 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Grinding Gear have done an amazing job with POE for so many reasons.
    They give players new content all the times and things to do. 2 expansion in this year!!
    I cant even count the builds someone can make. Its really fun to play with builds.
    Anyway all this its for free when blizz ask for d3 15$ for the necro alone.
    There is builds in poe that someone can finish the content with yellow gear as far as he know what he ask for and learn what do to.
    The trading system between the players is really smart and give players the joy to help others anytime they want to.
    Grinding Gear Thanks.
    darkwarrior42LGlassWalkerAyin
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Are they still screwing people out of their money for single point respects for real money?
    DarkVagabond

Gorwe said:

skoupidi said:

Gorwe said:

skoupidi said:

Dagon13 said:

Gorwe said:

Since the rework of volatiles they are fine, yes. The only oneshots left in the game are endgame bosses that have windup animations and require you to move and avoid them. It is an action rpg after all.

There is no sense in talking to you is it? You are obviously the part of < uber hardcore > , you can't understand anything outside that.

What about new players? What about the players who don't have BiS or even good gear? Innocence and later Kitava are going to take a big fat dump on them. And there goes the new player!

First of all, innosence isn't even that hard. Kitava was a challenge but definitely doable if you manage your flasks and portal out to refill them. If you think you need bis gear to beat the act 10 bosses, then you propably don't even know the basics of PoE.

No i am not uber hardcore. I just use common sense and try to understand what i am trying to accomplish with my build and work towards that. Everyone has to start somewhere.I was getting my ass handed to me when i started playing PoE., but i suck it up and now i have reached a point that i feel confident enough to face any challenge that gets thrown my way.

There are enough games out there that require less dedication and are easy to beat even for beginners. That was what i said on my first comment. Leave it be, there are people that enjoy challenging games and there are people that prefer beating a game in a few hours with minimum knowledge and effort required.
  • ananitananit Member RarePosts: 293

Gorwe said:

skoupidi said:

Gorwe said:

skoupidi said:

Dagon13 said:

Gorwe said:

There is no sense in talking to you is it? You are obviously the part of < uber hardcore > , you can't understand anything outside that.

What about new players? What about the players who don't have BiS or even good gear? Innocence and later Kitava are going to take a big fat dump on them. And there goes the new player!

the game litteraly shatters new records in terms of playerbase every new major patch. so the new players are here and they come back and they even bring new friends.

you seem to not want to put any effort in overcoming these, quite frankly, minor hurdles.

spend your currencies on half decent gear, stop running around with non maxed resistances, stop using bad potions and you'll soon realize that innocence is not that hard and kitava just needs aoe clear.

you can gear yourself up for yellow maps with less than 10 chaos worth of currencies.

as for people using builds, it's just a shortcut. once you get used to the passive tree, there are simply not many different ways to build around a specific skill gem + item combination.

the only limiting factor here is your stubbornness.
    edited November 2017

Are they still screwing people out of their money for single point respects for real money?

What? Sounds like you are extremely misinformed. Respeccing costs ingame currency and is awarded through quests too. It was never available to purchase with real money. Edit: Their cash shop contains cosmetics and extra stash tabs. Nothing else.
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419

Gorwe said:

skoupidi said:

Gorwe said:

skoupidi said:

Dagon13 said:

Gorwe said:

I understand what you're saying. I'm in my late 60s, have arthritis in my hands and a cranky neck that spasms with too much stress. It is true that in my youthful fifties, I was a pretty good gamer and highly competitive, but age has slowed me down enough so that most action games are challenging.

All the same, I play Solo Self Found in the challenge league. Much to my surprise, I killed Act 10 Kitava with a level 69 tri-elemental trapper using a build and guide from the forums and meh flasks and so-so gear. I've got a couple hundred hours in PoE, not really much considering I played in Closed Beta. I have some stand-by builds I play, but every league I try at least one I haven't played before and this league it was the Trapper.

Yes, the last boss is hard and I died a gazillion times, but it was also a hoot and eventually the big guy went down.

PoE has a lot of theorycrafters publishing their builds. And they say right up front whether they are beginner friendly, whether they can be played SSF or really need a particular piece of gear to work. I always look for builds that don't require many skills and more or less play themselves since I'm not going to be flying all over the keyboard in a split second doing this and that. I just avoid builds that I know I won't be successful with or that require specific uniques or a 6-link chest piece.

I really don't like postings that say "I did it and so can you if you really try" or some such rubbish. All players are not the same, we don't all have the same abilities or capabilities or motivations. There is no level playing field and not all games are for all players. PoE is one of those that isn't for everybody. But if it is the game for you, the game is limber and open enough that you will find a way to succeed with it on your own terms.

The Trapper Build:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1753522/page/1

A Perfect and Fun New Player Build:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1460817/page/1

Ayin[Deleted User]
  • Gymrat313Gymrat313 Member UncommonPosts: 154

Gorwe said:

davc123 said:

Gorwe said:

Innocence is a mechanic fight, once you know the fight it is laughably easy. Kitava is a bit harder but still reasonably easy as long as you didn't create your build by rolling your face across the keyboard.

skoupidi said:

Dagon13 said:

Gorwe said:

No one thinks that all builds should be capable of all content with random gear but I think it's reasonable to loosen the reigns a bit. I'd love to cut lose and test out some home grown builds that don't require me to always include XYZ in the build.

I'm not pretending that the game needs to change, I just think it's good to consider perspectives that aren't veteran.

Personal achievement would be seeing that home grown build succeed or getting that unique drop that lets you take it to the next level. In my opinion, copying other people and buying gear is just boring.
    Ayin

Dagon13 said:

skoupidi said:

Dagon13 said:

Gorwe said:

No one thinks that all builds should be capable of all content with random gear but I think it's reasonable to loosen the reigns a bit. I'd love to cut lose and test out some home grown builds that don't require me to always include XYZ in the build.

I'm not pretending that the game needs to change, I just think it's good to consider perspectives that aren't veteran.

Personal achievement would be seeing that home grown build succeed or getting that unique drop that lets you take it to the next level. In my opinion, copying other people and buying gear is just boring.

It all depends, look at how mathil (popular PoE streamer) creates tons of builds each league and manages to beat all endgame content with most of them (with cheap gear most of the time). It only requires being familiar with the game's mechanics. I myself have done several non copied builds, some of them were good enough to kill shaper/uber atziri etc. some ended falling short(still had fun mapping with them tho).

You don't have to be a veteran or have a top tier build with gg gear to clear white and yellow maps.If on the other hand your goal is to beat the hardest content in the game, then you have to commit more time to get a better understanding of the game and also work towards better gear. I personally like having endgame bosses that require solid builds or good gear to defeat, otherwise there would be no goal left to go after.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2017

skoupidi said:

Gorwe said:

skoupidi said:

Gorwe said:

davc123 said:

Gorwe said:

But would it hurt? Those are like two enemies that quite clearly stand aside. Almost like pre nerf Malachai.

Yes it would hurt. It is fine for the last act to have challenging bosses, there are people who enjoy it, like me. In fact, i would love a new boss fight that can bring will the thrill of killing uber atziri/shaper for the first time. Hopefully the Elder and his guardians will deliver.

It's not challenging if all you do is die -> respawn -> die -> respawn -> die -> respawn -> die -> respawn, rinse and repeat until the boss finally dies. At least that's how i killed some of the OP bosses. No strategy in them, just getting killed over and over with 1 hit until the boss/bosses died some time later. It was the same with the dual boss battle against the Sun/Moon goddesses.

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    What's wrong with people? I'm far from being hardcore POE player..ofc first time i died to Innocence and even to Kitava 10 act (here I died 3 times for the first time if I remember correctly) but it was because I didn't know their mechanics...after getting their mechanics all you have to do is move, because yes there are bosses where you have to move and not stand and attack like brainless person. You don't even need super gear, with proper movements i can have bad gear and still i ll be able to defeat those bosses. But yeah, you need some reflexes too and as i always say, there are so many slow old ppl on this forum so I'm not surprised you are getting rekt :)

Out of topic, now I'm trying to play MU Legends, leveling is really boring and without any challange but endgame is quite challening (but also grindy)...and all i can see is ppl without reflexes again, boss will indicate red circle and gues what? players are not able to go away and just stand and attack still, that's how most of players plays...give players the challenge and they won't play the game on the long run bcs they'll get frustrated..
    in POE it's sometimes even more difficult to evade attacks because bosses won't make red circles so it's really not surprising players got problem with POE bosses...to enjoy challenging game they should add to games immortal game mode, where you can just stand still and attack and then be happy for your boss kills without any effort just by mashing all your buttons

Now give me some LOL's and WTF's to show me how the truth hurts you because you know you are on of those players, please! :)

skoupidi said:

Gorwe said:

skoupidi said:

Gorwe said:

davc123 said:

Gorwe said:

It's not challenging if all you do is die -> respawn -> die -> respawn -> die -> respawn -> die -> respawn, rinse and repeat until the boss finally dies.

At least that's how i killed some of the OP bosses. No strategy in them, just getting killed over and over with 1 hit until the boss/bosses died some time later. It was the same with the dual boss battle against the Sun/Moon goddesses.

Its nice that there is a way for the new or bad players to beat the story mode, but if you have to die over and over on act bosses then you are doing something really wrong.It's like crossing the street without checking and getting hit by a car over and over again until there finally aren't any cars coming through.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited November 2017
    skoupidi said:

Its nice that there is a way for the new or bad players to beat the story mode, but if you have to die over and over on act bosses then you are doing something really wrong.It's like crossing the street without checking and getting hit by a car over and over again until there finally aren't any cars coming through.
    Works fine for Cuphead.  Super hard game where you'll die over and over to the bosses until you've learned their mechanics and it's recently gone platinum (IE, sold a ton).

Although in that specific poster's PoE case, it's more like death by a thousand paper cuts to the boss rather than learning mechanics.
  • theocculttheoccult Member UncommonPosts: 51
    edited November 2017

Cazriel said:

The Trapper Build:
    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1753522/page/1

A Perfect and Fun New Player Build:
    https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1460817/page/1

Thanks much for posting those builds, Cazriel! I may just have to try that fire necro.

In regards to the overall game, I've been having a blast playing it!

(Plus, I had gotten really fed up with games offering p2w items in their cash shop, whereas GGG's microtransactions are cosmetic and convenience items only.)

POE is in my opinion what D3 should have been. It has the same gritty feel and memorable characters like Diablo 2 had. It's D2 on steroids, with better graphics, an epic soundtrack, an infinite amount of build and customization options, and a dev team working hard to shower us with great new content.

Post edited by theoccult on
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited November 2017
    POE is what D3 should have been, if it had the money D3 dev team had available behind it, it would go over the moon.
    Kabulozo said:
    POE is what D3 should have been, if it had the money D3 dev team had available behind it, it would go over the moon.
    I think sometimes limited resources help ingenuity shine brightest.  If they had as much money as Blizzard we may have just gotten another D3.  Maybe we would have gotten the best form of PoE possible but I'd rather not risk giving up what we did get.
  • DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

I want you to get back into this thread so we can laugh at you having no idea what you are talking about.
    [Deleted User]Xoph
  • MiltonFriedmanMiltonFriedman Member CommonPosts: 1
    I can no wait for newa season, I'll just buy my orbs here https://odealo.com/games/path-of-exile and I can start my game :-)