Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Battlefront II AMA Happening Today - 'This is Fine' - MMORPG.com News

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:
    I don't want to be punished though my taxes because of dumb fucks spending their rent and not being able to feed their children because their addiction to this tripe.

Again, what are we solving here? Are we solving for the 80% or are we solving for the 20%? Actually, it's more like we're probably solving for the 0.005%. We're essentially suggesting to implement something to prevent someone from spending all their money on it, which would be an exceptional case. I would suggest that regardless of the regulations put in place, whatever the game companies counter with, this person would still have a problem and end up spending all their money on it, whether it be a straight-up cash shop or some other gimmick. What you're suggesting is that we create a bubble room for people who can't control themselves, instead of maybe creating a MUCH less expensive support system for these types of people (or the ones who WANT help) in order to actually HELP them. 
    You're drifting pretty far afield into the topic of whether governments should ever interfere in anything whatsoever and regulate anything at all. I'm old enough to remember people telling the government to stay out of their business with respect to motorcycle helmets... and the "1%s" who still to this day, thumb their nose at the requirement by wearing army surplus WWII token helmets. Which I guess, is their contribution to a better gene pool.

Governments regulating potential self-harm is not exactly a new topic. Doing it in the gaming industry is not even a new thing even if it's just the token "M" or PEGI 18" ratings.

There seems to be widespread acceptance that sex and violence can be regulated in games. Why not a form of gambling? And why the standard red-herring counters of "Should governments really be concerned with this? Don't they have better things to do?"
    GdemamiCogohiMadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited November 2017
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:
    I don't want to be punished though my taxes because of dumb fucks spending their rent and not being able to feed their children because their addiction to this tripe.

Again, what are we solving here? Are we solving for the 80% or are we solving for the 20%? Actually, it's more like we're probably solving for the 0.005%. We're essentially suggesting to implement something to prevent someone from spending all their money on it, which would be an exceptional case. I would suggest that regardless of the regulations put in place, whatever the game companies counter with, this person would still have a problem and end up spending all their money on it, whether it be a straight-up cash shop or some other gimmick. What you're suggesting is that we create a bubble room for people who can't control themselves, instead of maybe creating a MUCH less expensive support system for these types of people (or the ones who WANT help) in order to actually HELP them. 
    It's a predatory business practice.

I'm a manufacturer, I make metal parts and I have regulations that I have to abide by. Just because its the entertainment industry doesn't mean they should get a free pass.

How about when you buy your next house you buy it via a loot box and that will decide whether you get a mansion or a bamboo hut.
    regulations are usually limited to issues that directly affect health and safety or the larger economy.

if we start to regulate games too much then the amount of regulations we would end up having in the economy as a whole would be outrageous..we cant go around regulating every business decision and consider it remotely like a free market economy
    [Deleted User]

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• AvarixAvarix Member RarePosts: 665
    Iselin said:
    Phry said:
    Looks like EA is in full on damage control at the moment, the bad news about the game is seemingly never ending, even the single player aspect of the game is proving to be somewhat problematical, but with all the loot box controversy and the constant shifting goal posts that EA and Dice are engaging in to try and 'deflect' the damage coming their way, i seriously hope this game is made such an example of, that never mind EA, but that other game developers don't try and pull this kind of thing ever again.
    But as you know, its never really over until the 'fat lady sings' heres a video from Jim Sterling, because, why not ;)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiwRIkRTvms
    "A ship full of dildos" lol. He was in fine form for this video.
    The deadpan manner he used when he said "ship full of dildos" made me laugh until my stomach hurt.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:

I'm a manufacturer, I make metal parts and I have regulations that I have to abide by. Just because its the entertainment industry doesn't mean they should get a free pass.

How about when you buy your next house you buy it via a loot box and that will decide whether you get a mansion or a bamboo hut.
    regulations are usually limited to issues that directly affect health and safety or the larger economy.

if we start to regulate games too much then the amount of regulations we would end up having in the economy as a whole would be outrageous..we cant go around regulating every business decision and consider it remotely like a free market economy
    Many regulations have nothing to do with health and safety and everything to do with protecting you from being rooked.

What makes the entertainment industry so special as to be exempt.
    Gdemami

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:

I'm not certain why it's predatory. Again, if we go back to trading cards, are they predatory? I would say if anything was predatory here it was the progression system. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:

So you're OK with full on sex and violence on games that kids can play because of the free market economy or is it just the monetary considerations you want to exempt from regulation?
    Gdemami
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited November 2017
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:

Many regulations have nothing to do with health and safety and everything to do with protecting you from being rooked.

because what you are saying is misleading is why.

When you compare a manufacturing company with that of a video game company its rather obvious to point out that 'most' (not all) of regualtions are designed because of health and safety. regulations that dont affect health and safety are fewer and on that point I think many that are not related to health and safety should likely be removed and we should take a look at them.

If low regulation free market prinicples can not work in video games then they can not work anywhere. I personally believe in a mixed economy and I think free market principles should be stronger in entertianment but less so in areas that do affect health and safety

laserit

CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:

I'm not certain why it's predatory. Again, if we go back to trading cards, are they predatory? I would say if anything was predatory here it was the progression system. 
    Yes, trading cards also are predatory. Are you saying they're not?
    GdemamiCogohi

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:

Its a fine line

If purchasing trading cards were at your finger tips 24/7 and gave you instant gratification. Yes I would classify them as predatory.
    laxieGdemami

Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:

No, not at all. Some of my fondest childhood moments were collecting cards, also playing Magic, and an old Star Wars TCG, for which I still have my set. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:

When you compare a manufacturing company with that of a video game company its rather obvious to point out that 'most' (not all) of regualtions are designed because of health and safety. regulations that dont affect health and safety are fewer and on that point I think many that are not related to health and safety should likely be removed and we should take a look at them.

If low regulation free market prinicples can not work in video games then they can not work anywhere. I personally believe in a mixed economy and I think free market principles should be stronger in entertianment but less so in areas that do affect health and safety

You might want to read up on consumer protection regulations :)
    Gdemami

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:

Hey Sean I have some great investment opportunities for you.

edited November 2017
    Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:

again...

there are more regulations that involve health and safety than there are regulation that protect consumers.

I never said they dont exist, I said that generally speaking.

and finally...if free market principles can not work in a video game then they can not work anywhere and we might as well move to a communist system.
    Iselin

CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:

No, not at all. Some of my fondest childhood moments were collecting cards, also playing Magic, and an old Star Wars TCG, for which I still have my set. 
    I remember when my son was 10 and heavily into playing Magic, I made the mistake of printing out for him a list of the most sought after cards and what they were selling for.

I didn't know that he had just, that very day, traded some cards at school and he quickly realized looking at the list that he had been taken for a ride. I still remember the look on his face and the sinking feeling in my stomach when I realized what I had just done. 
    GdemamiNilden

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

SEANMCAD said:
    Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:

again...

there are more regulations that involve health and safety than there are regulation that protect consumers.

and finally...if free market principles can not work in a video game then they can not work anywhere and we might as well move to a communist system.
    I knew that red menace was just lurking around the corner somewhere... watch out for fluoridation too!

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Iselin said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:

again...

I knew that red menace was just lurking around the corner somewhere... watch out for fluoridation too!

its true though.

if a free market economy is going around regulating how a company can present a video game to you then its just gets ridiculous. Some of these ideas people come up with on how Early Access should be regulated for example just makes it nightmare like a friggin tax code or something. Then before too long you have to get all your game models and content approved by some board before you can publish..

hell fucking no

edited November 2017
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:

Its a fine line

If purchasing trading cards were at your finger tips 24/7 and gave you instant gratification. Yes I would classify them as predatory.

Again, though, now we need to, what? Regulate how much alcohol someone is allowed to drink or purchase? How many cigarettes they can have? How many guns or bullets they can own? 

Again, we have to ask whether we're solving a problem or inventing a problem that we've decided needs to be resolved. You could be spending tens of millions of dollars to solve the problem of 2 people. There is no evidence that this is a problem at all. 

Also, again, is this a priority? If we're talking about predatory business practices, I would tend to focus on efforts on the pharmaceutical industry where Americans are paying much higher prices (like up to 10 times or more higher) than most other places in the world for drugs that they need to keep themselves alive. THAT is a pandemic issue, if we're talking about things that are real issues. Oh! And the explanation given for the increased prices is, generally, regulation. So, yeah, let's solve this problem with regulation.... please! 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    ----------------

edited November 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    laserit said:

Its a fine line

Again, though, now we need to, what? Regulate how much alcohol someone is allowed to drink or purchase? How many cigarettes they can have? How many guns or bullets they can own? 

here is the problem that many people fail to understand. The reason drinking laws exist is so that a driver doesnt kill me on his way home while being drunk and shooting his tool specifically designed to kill.

comparing those regulations to that of tits on a screen or not is absurd to me

AND...at some point the crack user has to take personal responsibility 

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    SEANMCAD said:
     comparing those regulations to that of tits on a screen or not is absurd to me
    Scarlet Blade fans shrieked in horror for a moment there.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited November 2017
    laserit said:
    Good, you can start working towards making 'dumb fucks' illegal, 'regulated' or w/e....

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017
    Torval said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Iselin said:
    It is kind of funny that it takes a game this hyped to get the mainstream media to take notice of what has been happening in gaming for a long time but everyone is in on it now. Here's a Fortune article about whether it's gambling (something that the Belgian Gaming Comision is taking a look at):

http://fortune.com/2017/11/15/star-wars-battlefront-gambling-disney-electronic-arts-loot-box-crate/?iid=sr-link1

Should be noted that they are also investigating Overwatch. So not only does this set a precedent for P2W mechanic loot boxes, but it's waaaay more far reaching. What's next? Sports cards? Magic? If those industries aren't regulated, then couldn't companies simply sell you digital card packs? What about physical card packs a la WoW who gave away in-game items through their TCG. It's a slippery slope into a river of shit below. If you think that setting this precedent will be good for gaming, I'll grab my popcorn and watch intently. 
    Well as the article says according to the ESRB the only thing keeping loot boxes from being considered gambling and thought of as more like trading cards is that you always get something.

That seems like a very fine distinction to make and it does make me wonder what would happen if $1 slots always gave you back at least a penny. Would that exempt them from regulations according to that line of thinking?

Anyway, the real news to me is that the mainstream is waking up to the issue thanks to companies pushing the boundaries to the point that a significant number of fans are up in arms about it.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on with or without pop-corn... I prefer Glossettes myself anyway :)

Yeah, it could be good, and it could be bad. Like I said before, is this a priority? Secondly, do you REALLY want government pencil pushers making laws regulating your games? Third, what's the alternative? Well, they could simply sell those star cards directly to you and make them so damn expensive to buy with in-game cash that you have no option but to grind for months or just pay money for it. The same people will buy it as were buying loot crates, and those who complained about RNG and "gambling" mechanics still wouldn't buy them. So, would you rather people be punished for spending money on these boxes? Or just let them swipe their CC and have BiS gear :) Like I said, it should be an interesting show. 
    I'd rather know exactly what I'm paying for. Simple as that really.

....and, yes, I think when gambling is in a game it should be given the maximum age rating and someone needs to enforce that. You know why? Because if an 18 or R rating is slapped on all games with loot boxes, we'll quickly see loot boxes disappear.

So you're ok with buying X gun via the cash shop for $100? If that's cool with you then great, I get your POV. Thanks for the comment. 
    No one would be happy with that. When have you ever seen anything priced that high? Exaggerating your point to the extreme doesn't defend your POV one bit. 

A fully furnished clockwork observatory is 15,000 Crowns in ESO. If you buy those crowns off sale it would cost ~$125. It would take 10 months of sub time spending those Crowns on nothing else to buy it via sub. On sale you might be able to grab it for around $75. I don't think he's exaggerating at all. I can think of several other games and many other examples.
    Ok, well, that's ridiculous. We should start a reddit post and stop that shit. AND they have loot boxes. ESO is worse than Battlefront 2, everyone needs to divert their attention at them instead. It is just cosmetic though.. soo.. I guess it's not really the same thing.

Fuck me though, everyone always talks one extreme or the other. You think that because I don't want to ever see loot boxes that I want to be ass raped by overpriced single items? I mean, is that really what you think I'm trying to say here?
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Gdemami said:
    laserit said:
    Good, you can start working towards making 'dumb fucks' illegal, 'regulated' or w/e....

That was tried back in the 1930's-1940's
    Gdemami

Torval said:
    Torval said:
    CrazKanuk said:

....and, yes, I think when gambling is in a game it should be given the maximum age rating and someone needs to enforce that. You know why? Because if an 18 or R rating is slapped on all games with loot boxes, we'll quickly see loot boxes disappear.

So you're ok with buying X gun via the cash shop for $100? If that's cool with you then great, I get your POV. Thanks for the comment. 
    No one would be happy with that. When have you ever seen anything priced that high? Exaggerating your point to the extreme doesn't defend your POV one bit. 

A fully furnished clockwork observatory is 15,000 Crowns in ESO. If you buy those crowns off sale it would cost ~$125. It would take 10 months of sub time spending those Crowns on nothing else to buy it via sub. On sale you might be able to grab it for around $75. I don't think he's exaggerating at all. I can think of several other games and many other examples.
    Ok, well, that's ridiculous. We should start a reddit post and stop that shit. AND they have loot boxes. ESO is worse than Battlefront 2, everyone needs to divert their attention at them instead. It is just cosmetic though.. soo.. I guess it's not really the same thing.

Fuck me though, everyone always talks one extreme or the other. You think that because I don't want to ever see loot boxes that I want to be ass raped by overpriced single items? I mean, is that really what you think I'm trying to say here?
    You said he was exaggerating. I'm saying he's not. Continue tilting.
    Tilting? I just acknowledged your point and commented on it.

How about you get specific then MR. Clever Clogs and find me a gun or weapon in a game that's part of a progression system and got a price of $100 on it?

Some people here really are a piece of work..
    Gdemami
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    CrazKanuk said:

You said he was exaggerating. I'm saying he's not. Continue tilting.
    Tilting? I just acknowledged your point and commented on it.

How about you get specific then MR. Clever Clogs and find me a gun or weapon in a game that's part of a progression system and got a price of $100 on it?

Some people here really are a piece of work..
    The thing is if the gun has a price tag of $100 you can decide whether its worth it to you or not. It doesn't matter if it cost a million bucks. At least your informed. 

Put that gun in a $4-$5 loot box and who knows how much its going to cost before you get it.
    IselinGdemami

Torval said:
    Keep on tilting at the windmills. Do your own research.
    You're just trying to defend against going completely out of context and now you have nothing to say. Haha. Seriously man, you're not on any high horse here.
    Gdemami