Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What role do you prefer to play in MMO groups and why?

2»

Comments

• dougha1dougha1 Member UncommonPosts: 152
    DPS mostly because it is easy and relatively no pressure
    Totally agree.

I like to snipe enemies from a distance. Get their HP down to half before they even get close enough to hit me. In a group, mobs tend to go for the healers and/or the melee-oriented classes .... while I nail them from a safe distance. :D

Depending on the game, I'm a ranger or some kind of zap-from-a-distance magic-using class.

I'm actually surprised that this is (so far) the most popular choice in this poll.
    This forum is broken. It is time to move to proboards, because they're broken.
  • VelifaxVelifax Member UncommonPosts: 413
    I have always accepted a subservient role. However this is due only to my reduced playtime in comparison to most. Once I know as much about the game as those who would lead a party I have no problem stepping up and leading a party. Or even a raid.
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Loot ninja. . .
    dougha1kitarad
    sayuu said:
    Loot ninja. . .
    That also. :D  Rememeber, the core play of every RPG, and thus every MMORPG, is killing stuff and taking the loot.  Sometimes (more in single-player games) there is breaking and entering. :)
  • Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    What role do I like to play? Comic relief. You can see how I wasn't too popular when MMOs turned into action games.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    edited November 2017
    Amathe said:
    I like playing ranged dps. My preference would be a physical type of ranged dps, such as with a bow or crossbow. 
    Me, too!  I favor ranged classes.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• bwwianakievbwwianakiev Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Healer, cause I'm gay
    IselinCanibaloler
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Not a fan of hard and fast class systems, but if forced to play games with that set up, I prefer controllers or debuffers.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited November 2017
    I like to play an important role in a group  but I cannot tank since I suck at that and have not a very good sense of direction so I choose healers. However healers are notoriously gimped when trying to solo as most games make them so. I don't get why healers and tanks have to be gimped when they try to solo making them unpopular to play and groups stand around waiting to get a tank or healer. What they should do is make all classes able to solo reasonably without gimping them on purpose.

I also like playing support like a crowd control or debuff /buffer role which a game like City of Heroes/Villains really excelled in creating and making them viable as unique and wanted in groups.

Group content should never be soloable and that will maintain a reasonable demand for all classes and loot from group content must be superior to maintain a reason to do group content.

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    edited November 2017
    Healing, because I feel you actually can turn a crap group into a decent one. A decent one into a killing machine, and a killing machine into a destroyer of worlds.

DPS are just lazy. Most think they just have to pew, pew. But when you get a dedicated, smart DPSer its a miracle. I think that is the hardest role to play, but too many people just don't try and are terrible DPSers. Just look at this thread. So many saying its no pressure and its easy.... huh? You are counted on to build your character correctly, kills mobs quickly, and dodge mechanics so you don't die like a complete n00b. Sadly, most people fail on every single one of those.

I really think tank is the worst role. They get blamed the most, and they give up the most - its boring, no appreciation, and little rewards - wow you have 10% more health but you still can't fight your way out of a group of level 1 mobs.

DPS never get blamed for standing in mechanics, building nonsensical wasteful characters that make for terrible PUGers, running ahead of the group, etc. They just yell at the healer or tank for not babysitting them.. but we rely on you to not be stoned, drunk or stupid. Right, might as well give that hope up.

As a healer, I really appreciate a good DPS. One that deals a truck ton of damage and doesn't need a babysitter. Incredibly rare. Much more rare than a good tank. I also believe tanks are the smartest players(not saying all tanks are smart - just imo you get a high number of intelligent players).
    Post edited by Golelorn on
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    kitarad said:
    I like to play an important role in a group  but I cannot tank since I suck at that and have not a very good sense of direction so I choose healers. However healers are notoriously gimped when trying to solo as most games make them so. I don't get why healers and tanks have to be gimped when they try to solo making them unpopular to play and groups stand around waiting to get a tank or healer. What they should do is make all classes able to solo reasonably without gimping them on purpose.

I think that "hybrid tax"  has gone pretty well the way of the dodo. At least that's my impression. It has been a very long time since I played a tank or healer that couldn't solo with the best of them.

Even WOW got rid of that in the patch just before Cata. I remember for a while there I actually preferred solo leveling my Pally in protection spec - that shield throw AOE was ridiculously effective.

I found the same was true in Rift when I played a Chloro/Warlock and even more so as a Chloro/Harbinger and the flexible ESO system means you only need to be a healer or tanky when you want to and can just slot different skills if you want to DPS.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Iselin said:
    Gorwe said:

edit: HEY @Iselin ! WHERE'S THE TANK? God damn, even polls are fake now. :D
    It's there but you can't vote for it lol. I actually can't vote for anything - even the ones that have the buttons. No idea why it turned out that way.

Maybe @MikeB can fix it?
    I had the same issue a bit ago when I made a new thread with a poll.  Nothing I tried fixed the issue.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Almost always play melee. I prefer to play as a tank when gaming with my wife.  Solo, I find melee dps more entertaining.  But I always fall back to tank.
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Well if the game i am playing has a decent CC or buff\debuffer class which is needed in groups i prefer that.
    If not i usually play tank.
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race. 
    Healer, cause I'm gay
    This reminds me of the time ... someone who said to me that she prefers to be a Healer because (in her own words) she is a submissive. :)
  • ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    DMKano said:
    Bard.

Most games dont' have bards - so I usually end up playing whatever causes the most grief.
    OP asked which role, not class.
  • CanibalolerCanibaloler Member UncommonPosts: 136
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Support...The reason why? Everyone else gets blamed if you fail...Its the tanks fault, the healers, not enough DPS, but never if only that support would have been a little better.
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Crowd Control.

Unfortunately, their role has been diminished over the years.
    Tokken

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Tankety Tankety Tanks.  Preferably Paladins, EQ2 types, not WoW types.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I actually like tank classes, last time i played an mmo, my first char was a tank in neverwinter. I liked it actually and if i were to play again, id do tank. I also like to olay unpopular chars. 

Cryomatrix 
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • NephethNepheth Member RarePosts: 473
    Generally in most mmos my favorite role is probably support. It doesn't have to be a healing class. For example I love classes designed around buff-debuff playstyle like bards etc. But in the end, it really depends on the game I play. Normally I hate playing tank but when it comes to Warhammer Online it is easily my favorite role. I can't think myself playing any other role in that game. It is just an amazing experience which sadly I couldn't find in any other mmorpg...
  • SomeHumanSomeHuman Member UncommonPosts: 560
    I prefer to tank.  When you have good support and the game actually defines the role well (I'm thinking the first few years of LotRO), it can be very rewarding.  I like heavy armor, too, and shield, too.  Even in tabletop DND, it is one of my favorite builds to play.

Gaming since 1985; Online gaming since 1995; No End in Sight! My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8POVoJ8fdOseuJ4U1ZX-oA