Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would bring you back to WoW?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
there is one thing that would bring me back to wow..

and that is if they started bringing back lower level zones as time travel zones..  opening them up vanilla, wotlk, pandaria and all thise others one at a time...

everything at max level, with a minimum of 3 choosable difficulty levels(diablo style) with a system in place for opening up the dungeons and raids in those zones trough questing and stories

its just a pitty so much content is being lost. I do think the current gameplay has a lot more to offer then old vanilla. But there is so much content in those previous expansions... thats why i dont see much good comming from the old vanilla servers/classic 

its sad the game currently forces us to play the last chapter over and over...

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

ThupliJeffSpicoli

Comments

• btdtbtdt Member RarePosts: 523
    OP, the one thing that will bring you back to WoW is the next expansion because you haven't missed a single one.

People define content differently... some count the number of raids as the amount of content.  Some count the number of dungeons... some count the number of quests... some count the number of levels... and some count the time it takes.

Reality is, what these games lack the most these days is player imagination... you know, that role-playing part of the MMORPG.  What do I mean?  The player that doesn't need a quest to give them a reason to be playing, they come up with their own ideas in game.

The achievement system gave everyone a lobotomy.  Instead of using your noggin in a creative way, the game has provided you with a to-do list.  So instead of you coming up with the odd idea of grinding rep with some no-name faction for kicks, now there is an achievement for it.  No longer are you required to bring a brain.

So content seems to be lacking because they have taken away your ability to create your own content.  The more they give you to do, the less there is actually to do.  Vanilla had oodles to do because you either found something to do or there was nothing to do.  Because so little was spelled out to do, you had so much more to spell out for yourself.

That's what is missing in the new MMOs.  Players are so conditioned to be told what to do, they don't bother to try and make their own ideas up.  You know, like when you were a kid and made up imaginary things.  Imagine if you never did that... oh, how dull life would have been... with so little content.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]Swimshroom
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Actually, I dont think there is anything they can do. I dont dislike the game and I still like the world and it's lore, but I have simply reached the point during MoP that made me feel it time to go. Ive seen it all kind of feeling. I though playable Demon Hunter might do it, but not even that made me come back.

I do plan to sub Classic for a month tho. I played Aliance since launch so now I'll spend the whole month shitposting in Barrens zone chat.
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchie
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I would be interested in a classic server for vanilla up through WotLK.  But to get me to be a customer of current wow they would have to bring back some sort of significant character development system and stop focusing on casual children as their main audience.  Basically, they would have to undo everything they've done since WotLK and start focusing on rpg systems for thinking adults.
    deniter[Deleted User]Phrypostlarval[Deleted User]TsiyaThuplimrputtsSyanis
  • deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    blamo2000 said:
    I would be interested in a classic server for vanilla up through WotLK.  But to get me to be a customer of current wow they would have to bring back some sort of significant character development system and stop focusing on casual children as their main audience.  Basically, they would have to undo everything they've done since WotLK and start focusing on rpg systems for thinking adults.
    That's pretty much what i wanted to say as well.

Maybe WoW2 with some adjustments in design philosophy would bring me back, i don't know.
    RueTheWhirl
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    The changes I want made would turn the game into something so "not WOW" it's beyond reasonable possibility of occurring.

My focus is on other games . 

ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Rolling the game back to WotLK would do it for me i guess. ;)
    [Deleted User]
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Any time before they did away with skill trees is alright.
    [Deleted User]Thupli

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    And do away with all the fucking currencies.

Any time you require a "wallet" to manage an unwieldy number of game currencies, you've gone down the WRONG path.
    MadFrenchiekb4bluThupliAxxar

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Classic servers... oh wait
    [Deleted User]Thupli
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Dual Spec
    Axxar

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    laserit said:
    Dual Spec
    Have they removed dual spec? :|
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    laserit said:
    Dual Spec
    Have they removed dual spec? :|
    Oops ;) I thought we were talking about Classic servers.
    ConstantineMerus[Deleted User]

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    kitarad said:
    Skill trees AND the possibility to make "hybrids".
    So any time before cataclysm.
    If this is what people are mostly wanting..
    wouldnt it be easier to bring this to the next expansion?

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Honestly? A FTP or BTP option..

With either I can come and go as I please. I usually subscribe to games anyway.. but having the freedom to leave whenever I want and the freedom to pop my head back in whenever I want means there is a much MUCH higher chance I'll want to pop my head back in.

Sometimes I think.. hmmm, maybe I'd like to play WoW? Not 100% sure though.. don't want to pay for a whole month when I just want to give it a try. Nah, forget it.
    Hariken
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    $40 a hour payment would

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    The problem with level progression is that any zone below max level get pointless rather soon but if you want to update a lot of zones to max level I think the real problem is the progression for you.

Cut down the powergap a lot and make low level zones something very easy to do but not autowin for a max level char and I personally would think the game would become more interesting.

The levelsystem and powergap did work fine in vanilla but after this many expansions it doesn't anymore, at least not for me. It is a common MMO problem, when they make the game they don't really plan for what will happen with the progression after a couple of expansions and that makes the game below the endgame rather painful. EQ2 that had more expansions is far worse.
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I've tried going back a couple of times.  I can't even be bothered to finish level 20 free to play.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Grunty said:
    I've tried going back a couple of times.  I can't even be bothered to finish level 20 free to play.

What?  You can't afford 10 minutes....
    GruntylaseritKyleranThupli
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    After some further thought I am thinking if I could find time in my life to raid again I would like to return and finish AQ40 and tackle Naxx.

Much of my bitterness towards WOW is because BCs changes shattered my guild, and invalidated all I had accomplished thus far.

If you've ever seen the movie "the Accountant" you'll understand when I say, "I need to finish."
    [Deleted User]waynejr2esc-joconnorAxxar

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 1,130
    edited November 2017
    kitarad said:
    Skill trees AND the possibility to make "hybrids".
    So any time before cataclysm.
    If this is what people are mostly wanting..
    wouldnt it be easier to bring this to the next expansion?

It would be nice but given their current audience I doubt it.  The current wow player since Cataclysm have made themselves clear - they don't like thinking or choices.  They want simple, easily understood and formulaic content where you can judge a person with a simple number based on how cookie cutter he or she is.  

There would be no greater way to alienate their main user base then to force them to think and try without an addon telling them exactly what to do and how to do it.

Edit:
    I remember when cataclysm came out, which was the real end of skill trees and adult rpg systems, regardless of if they claimed to have them, they stated it was better because people coming back to wow had to look up what build to use and that was a hassle.  This was back when (and I don't know if it changed) you needed to install 8 billion addons to get the game to function normally.  That was the real hassle, and who cares if stupid people have to look something up that actually makes the game better and playable for a large chunk of their audience?

Who was the guy in charge of the kidification on WoW?  Ghost something?  I really dislike that guy and all his mmo philosophies.  
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    My old friends i used to play with at launch. But we all got older and moved on to different games.
    [Deleted User]
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821
    Nothing could bring me back to WoW. A classic server while a nice concept would hold my interest for a month tops as I've already played the game to death through that period. I've just played too much WoW at this point to ever go back. The old saying "you can never go home again" comes to mind when I think about WoW. Don't get me wrong as I had a great time playing it but I've just had enough of WoW for this lifetime.

I know this from experience as I played EQ for years before WoW and have very fond memories of that game but even when they had the EQ Classic servers I found it very hard to get back into a game that I had quit because I was basically bored with it. I had a similar experience with Lineage II. You just get to a point where enough is enough and you realize that it's time to walk away.

Bren
    Kyleran[Deleted User]

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• mastersomratmastersomrat Member UncommonPosts: 373
    edited January 2018
    A whole new WoW.  I'll entertain Classic (1.12.1) and may even enjoy it if builded with newer graphics.  Ideally; for me anyway - game that meshes other games would be ideal (but that will never happen).  To many millennials. 

Tab targeting is fine because action based MMOs usually leave ya five actions - errr.

Challanging combat, similar to 1.12.1 WoW (don't want to be able to aggro everything on the map without repercussions.

Elite roaming the maps like RIFT (again, keeps ya looking over your shoulder).

Graphics similar to FFXIV or SWTOR are fine.

Dungeons like  FFXIV are perfect. 

Open, none instanced world like WoW is great.  

Housing like EQ2, maybe SWTOR is great (like getting rewards from quests, dung, ache, etc)
    Should be instanced (open world housing in MMOs doesn't work) example LOTR, FFXIV.

LvL synced lands and Dungeons.  

Mentoring.

Crafting that's in between FFXIV and SWG.
    Drops from dungeons should be high level mat(s) for high level gear (not actual armour/weps.
    This would help (allot) with in-game systems as well as make crafting viable.

Keep talent trees, similar to older WOW.  New WoW is to dumbed down and EQ2 to complicated.

Keep attunments, ammo, etc.

Anyway.....

Axxar
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited January 2018
    Played for 3 months during WotLK era just to see what it was about, left and never came back. The themepark formula + the ridiculous forced faction system are terrible for me.

There is nothing in WoW I like: i hate the forced faction system and the themepark model of solo questing to level cap fast just live in instances after that.
    Mikeha
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited January 2018
    I stopped playing because one too many class overhaul for my main. I loved original brewmaster (when I rolled it) and WoD brewmaster because I can play it blind.
    Current brewmaster works and can tank well, but I just don't like it. It is one of those stare at your skillbar/procs kind of playstyles now that I hate.

It always bugged me, those pointless changes instead of adding a new spec to a class. On top of that how they render old content obsolete.

Anyway, there are only a few class/race combo's that I like in WoW. And I would level again. But, I just know that Blizzard will do it again next EP. So this is what stops me. It is such a shitty thing to do to your players imo.

EDIT : So yeah, what would bring me back? Make Blizzard to leave my main alone!