Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can an MMO Work on a Phone? - Lineage 2 Revolution Review - MMORPG.com

Comments

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    Kyleran said:
    Tarblood said:
    DMKano said:
    A MMO on a tiny screen with dumbed down swipe controls draining my cell battery and using up my data?

or

playing on my triple monitors at 144hz+ sync with GPU with an awesome keyboard and mouse?

Yeah mobile can F right off
    Literally this. <3 3 monitors. Once you have 3 you cannot go back to 2... or even 1.
    Still hard to bring that set up with you to the mall.   ;)

I was interested in the Razor triple monitor gaming laptop prototype but they seemed to have lost interest after they were stolen.
    I guess if you never leave the house, that's all you know... ;-)

Torval said:
    Good review. The quality of mobile gaming is slowly improving.
    I would say "improving for tablets".

Phones are another matter.
    Octagon7711

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I wont even try a MMO on my phone....Tablet gaming is as low as I will go and even that is minimal.
    waynejr2Ozmodan
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I wont even try a MMO on my phone....Tablet gaming is as low as I will go and even that is minimal.

I wouldn't want to either....
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kyleran said:
    Tarblood said:
    DMKano said:
    A MMO on a tiny screen with dumbed down swipe controls draining my cell battery and using up my data?

or

playing on my triple monitors at 144hz+ sync with GPU with an awesome keyboard and mouse?

Literally this. <3 3 monitors. Once you have 3 you cannot go back to 2... or even 1.

I was interested in the Razor triple monitor gaming laptop prototype but they seemed to have lost interest after they were stolen.
    Worse than never leaving the house because playing video games (imo), is leaving the house only to play more video games.

I'm with @DMKano on this one- if I'm in the mood to play video games, I'll be at home, with a beer, chillaxing in my chair with my headphones on.  When I'm out and about, I prefer to enjoy that oldest of old school games, the one still with the best graphics and realest grind, called reality. ;)
    Darkfyra

Kyleran said:
    Tarblood said:
    DMKano said:

or

Worse than never leaving the house because playing video games (imo), is leaving the house only to play more video games.

I'm with @DMKano on this one- if I'm in the mood to play video games, I'll be at home, with a beer, chillaxing in my chair with my headphones on.  When I'm out and about, I prefer to enjoy that oldest of old school games, the one still with the best graphics and realest grind, called reality. ;)
    Apparently you've never taken a two-hour commuter train to work where all the passengers have their faces firmly implanted in their phones, trying to avoid reality. They're not interested in playing that game with me or anyone else, and staring out the window is boring.

You and Kano have a pretty limited view of why people may choose to play games on mobile devices. Try widening your horizons. You both sound like stodgy old men, complaining about all that "new-fangled rigmarole".

MadFrenchiePhaserlightDarkfyra

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    edited November 2017
    Good to hear you can turn auto off. I loaded it up but it didn't last long. Order and Chaos 2 got more of my time, and I like Crusader of Light, but it has auto everything and too much clicking buttons for quests. I can't find a way to locate quests on the tiny map, so auto is the only route. At least I can fight off auto once I get there.
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    Phone = small screen + small views. No thanks! Spent too many years chasing after the "bigger is better" and now they want us to buy into small phone screens. Nope.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Eventually mobile will be our hub for everything. There won't be distinction between mobile/desktop performance wise. With screen casting and peripheral tech getting better and better start to embrace "mobile" everything, or you'll basically be that guy who said "PEOPLE WANT THEIR CDS!!!!!" or "NOBODY WANTS A COMPUTER IN THEIR HOUSE!".

At the same time NOW is the perfect time to fight fiercely against micro-transactions as you don't want that being the mainstream culture of gaming when the transition does happen.
    Octagon7711PhaserlightDarkfyra
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I played it on a tablet that's hooked to monitor with a controller.  Very addictive.  I'd never thought I'd see the day when a game bots for you.  
    Ozmodan

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I played it on a tablet that's hooked to monitor with a controller.  Very addictive.  I'd never thought I'd see the day when a game bots for you.  
    It only bots if you let it, which says more about the person playing the game than the game itself.
    Ozmodan

edited November 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Tarblood said:
    DMKano said:

or

Apparently you've never taken a two-hour commuter train to work where all the passengers have their faces firmly implanted in their phones, trying to avoid reality. They're not interested in playing that game with me or anyone else, and staring out the window is boring.

You and Kano have a pretty limited view of why people may choose to play games on mobile devices. Try widening your horizons. You both sound like stodgy old men, complaining about all that "new-fangled rigmarole".

True, I live about 4 miles from my office in a city with no mass transit (GG, Nashville!), so I don't have a lot of quote-unquote downtime away from the home where I'm chilling and could play a game on my phone for any significant length of time.  It's either driving to or from my destinations.

And hey!  My beard is not yet even showing grey, much less white!

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    It's really decent, for a mobile MMO. But damn, it just auto plays itself. Take that off, and I'd be happy. The fact that it's there just makes you feel silly if you DON'T use it. Haven't seen unfair cash shop stuff either, but it sure seems like you can pay for power.
    I guess auto play will be a better alternative to point and click for me, so i'll have to stick to the mobile game, even if i dont like gaming on a cellphone. I do like Lineage so i'll give it a try.
    Octagon7711Darkfyra

Kyleran said:
    Tarblood said:
    DMKano said:

or

True, I live about 4 miles from my office in a city with no mass transit (GG, Nashville!), so I don't have a lot of quote-unquote downtime away from the home where I'm chilling and could play a game on my phone for any significant length of time.  It's either driving to or from my destinations.

Well, my beard is white and I suspect I have about 20 years on you, young'un ;-)
    MadFrenchie

Kyleran said:
    Tarblood said:
    DMKano said:

or

Well, my beard is white and I suspect I have about 20 years on you, young'un ;-)
    Ha!  I suspect you might.  I'm relatively young, for stodgy old MMORPG gamer who started out with vanilla DAoC.  I got a really young start.

It only bots if you let it, which says more about the person playing the game than the game itself.

My point is this is the first game I've ever played that had it build in.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• exaccussexaccuss Member CommonPosts: 1
    Its a fun little game. Although it lags like crazy on my s4, which is to be expected. To the people complaining about the 'auto' features, just don't use it. They aren't forcing you to.
    If this catches on expect to see 'auto' features in a lot of games. Doesn't bother me but it will put a lot of bot companies out of business if it spreads.

Good article and I agree with the score. Wouldn't play it on a cell but a tablet would be fine especially if hooked to a flat screen & controller.
    Darkfyra

Kyleran said:
    Tarblood said:
    DMKano said:

or

Ha!  I suspect you might.  I'm relatively young, for stodgy old MMORPG gamer who started out with vanilla DAoC.  I got a really young start.
    MMOs didn't really exist until I was in my 30's. I started with Ultima Online. I was 38.
    MadFrenchie

My point is this is the first game I've ever played that had it build in.
    GW2 should come in a close second with their "press 1 and go do the dishes" combat mechanic and Neverwinter is not far behind.

BDO is on their way with auto-walking.

Expect to see more of it. 
    Octagon7711

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    For me this is a hard no.  I do not want to play games like that on my phone ever.  I prefer to game at a desk with the huge monitor/monitors in front of me with a keyboard.  If I play games on my phone it is something extremely simple that I can close out without giving a damn about it.

For those that do want it hope it does well, but for me not a chance.
    Darkfyra
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:
    Tarblood said:
    DMKano said:

or

I am fully aware that mobile gaming is a huge market.

I just have no interest in it whatsoever.

Not sure why thats hard to grasp, I am expressing my personal opinion here.

You seem to be better at trying to pass off your opinion as fact rather than expressing your opinion, but then that's just my opinion...
    k61977

• DarkfyraDarkfyra Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Games are meant to be played not play themselves,also graphics does not matter,quality does,give me something like POE,Warframe,GW2,ESO not stupid clickers with a mmo skin,also they always talk about phones but what’s about iPad it continually seem forgotten.I have an iPad Air so if it’s just phone can’t use it.Also while I understand how crappy a phone is so in that case autoplay does make sense,on iPad with a bigger screen we can deal with no autoplay at all.Also laws should be made to regulate the app store for quality control,no gambling mechanics in srpg,rpg,mmos and many more,avoid pay2win(also create an official definition of what it actually is)
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Kyleran said:
    Tarblood said:
    DMKano said:

or

You should visit Tokyo sometime; I grew up there, it's a sight to behold. 
    MadFrenchie

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    DMKano said:
    Kyleran said:
    Tarblood said:
    DMKano said:

or

I am fully aware that mobile gaming is a huge market.

I just have no interest in it whatsoever.

Not sure why thats hard to grasp, I am expressing my personal opinion here.

You seem to be better at trying to pass off your opinion as fact rather than expressing your opinion, but then that's just my opinion...
    Without getting too political, there seems to be a disconcerting trend in American pop culture to tacitly acknowledge all opinions as equally valid.
    Ozmodan

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance