Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CoE announces plan to commoditize and sell many perks individually, gets hit in face with backlash.

Comments

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

How is pointing out the obvious, that Slapshot has devoted a considerable amount of time to slamming this project, a personal attack?   

You definitely should.  Trolling is much more fun when you have like-minded companions.  The only thing better than investing personal time into destroying the work of others is having company when you do it.
    You are right, my bad. Obviously you are giving him neutral and constructive feedback.
    Slapshot1188YashaXPingu2012
    Harbinger of Fools
  • StaalBurgherStaalBurgher Member UncommonPosts: 265
    The only valid complaints I see after all this time is the Timeline and his manner. Everything since seems to be a variant of "but the timeline...".
    Think about what you are saying.  They haven't delivered anything tangible yet.  They were supposed to be in no wipe launch but there is NOTHING. No Alpha 1, No Alpha 2, No Beta 1, No Beta 2, No Exposition, No Prelude, No MUD, No Kingdoms game.

All of those were supposed to be delivered by now.   There is NOTHING!

If they delivered something, I'm sure there would by many more things to complain about.   Of course that's just game focused.  As covered plenty previously there are plenty of other things to complain about  like the utter P2W nature of the game. The monetization of everything including buying $10 tokens to improve your town, $10 tokens to improve your guild, $10 tokens to vote for king....  Let's not forget the developers support for RMT (player transactions) post launch to make sure the whales can pay people to insure they keep their status...

But yeah... other than those few items all is well!

Hmm... timeline... *yawn*
    Also... I have previously asked multiple times for the positives. I never get any.  I even created this thread to list them all but so far nobody’s can add to my short list: http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/469585/the-positive-coe-challenge#latest

So what exactly would a positive be for a game in development?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    StaalBurgher said: nu
    The only valid complaints I see after all this time is the Timeline and his manner. Everything since seems to be a variant of "but the timeline...".
    Think about what you are saying.  They haven't delivered anything tangible yet.  They were supposed to be in no wipe launch but there is NOTHING. No Alpha 1, No Alpha 2, No Beta 1, No Beta 2, No Exposition, No Prelude, No MUD, No Kingdoms game.

All of those were supposed to be delivered by now.   There is NOTHING!

If they delivered something, I'm sure there would by many more things to complain about.   Of course that's just game focused.  As covered plenty previously there are plenty of other things to complain about  like the utter P2W nature of the game. The monetization of everything including buying $10 tokens to improve your town, $10 tokens to improve your guild, $10 tokens to vote for king....  Let's not forget the developers support for RMT (player transactions) post launch to make sure the whales can pay people to insure they keep their status...

But yeah... other than those few items all is well!

Hmm... timeline... *yawn*
    Hey, missed your contribution on the "Positives" thead.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Nilden said:

Well if it's a smear campaign it should be pretty easy to point out what facts, quotes, numbers and dates he got wrong.

Regardless of @Slapshot1188 's opinion, I can use the information he is providing to make up my own.

Well a smear campaign is often about spreading negativity. If I was you I would go and investigate the game itself instead of relying on a 2nd hand account from someone that is known to hate said game. Not that it matters in the long run probably. The game will release or it won't. If it does it will be judged by the gameplay.
    Slapshot1188
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Also... I have previously asked multiple times for the positives. I never get any.  I even created this thread to list them all but so far nobody’s can add to my short list: http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/469585/the-positive-coe-challenge#latest

Maybe you should go read the thread.  Heck maybe you could even contribute to it!

GdemamiYashaXPingu2012

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

When folks give you money based on your pitch of that timeline, nothing else is really needed.
    Hmm... kinda like big publishers getting money for a game based on how 'innovative' it will be when it is anything but.

Firstly, people pitch money for the idea, not the timeline. Secondly, the timeline extension has been explained by the devs. Makes no difference to vast majority of people backing the game.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509

Maybe you should go read the thread.  Heck maybe you could even contribute to it!

I was hoping insiders more in the know would have been able to share stuff beyond what I could Google, but perhaps there's NDA issues or something. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

I was hoping insiders more in the know would have been able to share stuff beyond what I could Google, but perhaps there's NDA issues or something. 

Some of the posts in the secret and super secret high roller backer forums are eyebrow raising, but I don’t think they would qualify for the thread.
    Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2017
    When folks give you money based on your pitch of that timeline, nothing else is really needed.
    Hmm... kinda like big publishers getting money for a game based on how 'innovative' it will be when it is anything but.

Firstly, people pitch money for the idea, not the timeline. Secondly, the timeline extension has been explained by the devs. Makes no difference to vast majority of people backing the game.
    Are you talking about pre-orders?  Because it's in no way the same thing, and you know it, but that doesn't fit the narrative you're attempting to spread.

And if the gamers don't care about a timeline, that's great!  Tell these devs so they'll stop pitching unrealistic ones and asking for money based on that timeline.  Should have no effect on the potential to raise funds, right?
    Slapshot1188GdemamiYashaXPingu2012

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited November 2017

Are you talking about pre-orders?  Because it's in no way the same thing, and you know it, but that doesn't fit the narrative you're attempting to spread.

And if the gamers don't care about a timeline, that's great!  Tell these devs so they'll stop pitching unrealistic ones and asking for money based on that timeline.  Should have no effect on the potential to raise funds, right?
    I think they relied too much on "the end justifies the means" and recreating the success of others. I hope they make it somehow anyways. Nothing good comes out of MMO development failure, no matter what. 
    Post edited by ConstantineMerus on
    Kyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung

I think they relied too much on "the end justifies the means" and recreating the success of others. I hope they make it somehow anyways. Nothing good comes out of MMO development failure, no matter what. 
    Not necessarily true.  Greedmonger failed and I think it’s universally agreed to be a good thing.  Remember, success breeds imitators. That’s why we had thousands of WoW clones.  

Sometimes bad concepts (game or funding) simply deserve to fail.
    YashaX

Not necessarily true.  Greedmonger failed and I think it’s universally agreed to be a good thing.  Remember, success breeds imitators. That’s why we had thousands of WoW clones.  

I don't like what they did. But to think all whom ever succeeded before were completely innocent is being naive as well. 

Now what's the good of CoE not making it? All the fans getting crushed and loosing their money? I fail to see any other achievement making up for that. 

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung

I don't like what they did. But to think all whom ever succeeded before were completely innocent is being naive as well. 

Now what's the good of CoE not making it? All the fans getting crushed and loosing their money? I fail to see any other achievement making up for that. 
    Oh I don’t necessarily disagree about COE.  I think most of their issues relate to incompetence and not malice.  I was referring to your blanket statement that “no matter what” it’s bad when games fail.  I used Greedmonger as an example to refute that absolute statement.
    ConstantineMerusGdemami

Oh I don’t necessarily disagree about COE.  I think most of their issues relate to incompetence and not malice.  I was referring to your blanket statement that “no matter what” it’s bad when games fail.  I used Greedmonger as an example to refute that absolute statement.
    Nah I didn't really mean that literally. I never followed Greedmonger, so correct me if I'm wrong here, wasn't that purely a fraudulence campaign? Cause there's a difference between running a campaign to run with people's monies or mismanagement or hoping things would better eventually. 

edited November 2017

No disagreement here, but I think we would be naive to think that there's any realistic chance that all these crowdfunded MMORPGs enjoy even modest success.  There's simply only so much player base to go around, and there's just too many of them all vying for a slice of that pie.

Some of these will have to crash and burn for any of them to enjoy the sort of success that would influence the genre's general direction.  It wasn't a series of successful MMORPGs that sparked the MMORPG boom, but a hugely successful single title that was then mimicked and built upon.  Pick your crowdfunding innovations wisely.
    MikehaConstantineMerus

No disagreement here, but I think we would be naive to think that there's any realistic chance that all these crowdfunded MMORPGs enjoy even modest success.  There's simply only so much player base to go around, and there's just too many of them all vying for a slice of that pie.

Some of these will have to crash and burn for any of them to enjoy the sort of success that would influence the genre's general direction.  It wasn't a series of successful MMORPGs that sparked the MMORPG boom, but a hugely successful single title that was then mimicked and built upon.  Pick your crowdfunding innovations wisely.
    I never said I think all of these campaigns would become successful, I don't even think they'd all see the light at the end of the tunnel, if any! I said I hope for their success, for all of them, despite their shady crap they have done or promises they have broken. 

I think the genre needs only ONE relatively successful story in the west. Not just any MMO, a game that consumers and reviewers alike would consider as the next gen. It doesn't need to have a huge success like ESO (yeah these are dark times brother) but even on a smaller scale, it would push the genre forward and grab everyone's attention. 

Even the successful crowdfunding campaigns alone had made a lot of noise. But we need one of these big guys to deliver. 
    MadFrenchie

I never said I think all of these campaigns would become successful, I don't even think they'd all see the light at the end of the tunnel, if any! I said I hope for their success, for all of them, despite their shady crap they have done or promises they have broken. 

I think the genre needs only ONE relatively successful story in the west. Not just any MMO, a game that consumers and reviewers alike would consider as the next gen. It doesn't need to have a huge success like ESO (yeah these are dark times brother) but even on a smaller scale, it would push the genre forward and grab everyone's attention. 

Even the successful crowdfunding campaigns alone had made a lot of noise. But we need one of these big guys to deliver. 
    I would add that the success needs to outshine the failures.  If CU enjoys success, but SC crashes and burns, I doubt many will notice CU outside of us forum gazers and industry journalists.  That's probably the cynic's viewpoint, but I'm a cynic, so it follows. ;)

The good news (at least from my perspective) is that many of these crowdfunded endeavors are being built on the idea that they don't need to be a runaway success to be sustainable.  That means that, even if they don't make waves through the mainstream, some of these might still be able to enjoy providing an innovative title to the niche that enjoys it.

If they do make waves through the mainstream, all bets are off on what happens next aside from some obvious attempts to mimic the recipe from some groups.  It's a lot to ponder on, and an interesting time to be following the genre!
    ConstantineMerus

• JustDrakeJustDrake Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Well it' good to see that the folk here who "hate" the game and the dev team actually follow it more than me.

I mean the publicity that your hate gives must be helping swell up SBS coffers.
    I mean come on I would check out the game just because of your distaste. It would pique my interest just to find why you have an obsession on slandering a game in development, I would be wondering:
    1) Is your hate justified?
    2) Is your hate fair?
    3) Is the game looking good and you work for a competitor?
    YashaX
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited November 2017
    JustDrake said:
    Well it' good to see that the folk here who "hate" the game and the dev team actually follow it more than me.

I mean come on I would check out the game just because of your distaste. It would pique my interest just to find why you have an obsession on slandering a game in development, I would be wondering:
    2) Is your hate fair?
    I feel that giving money to CoE will be a good learning experience for some people, so I don't mind if my own "hate" posts make those type of people decide to check it out and donate to it against sound advice.  The hard way is the best way to learn!
    Slapshot1188GdemamiPingu2012JamesGoblinYashaX
  • JustDrakeJustDrake Member UncommonPosts: 72
    Tiamat64 said:
    JustDrake said:

2) Is your hate fair?
    I feel that giving money to CoE will be a good learning experience for some people, so I don't mind if my own "hate" posts make those type of people decide to check it out and donate to it against sound advice.  The hard way is the best way to learn!
    So your advice is sound whilst say my advice is not?

I would be interested to know how you come to that conclusion, are you perchance an expert in the world of mmorpgs, you have a thesis published on kickstarters, their effects and the waste of money?

Otherwise yours is an opinion that you have created through your own experiences whether factual or imagined.
    Just like mine is an opinion based on actually following the game and my own beliefs on the team developing it.

Neither of us are actually right,
     the only difference between us is I don't go around claiming to be right or claiming to be an expert in the field whose advice is "sound."
    edited November 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    JustDrake said:

2) Is your hate fair?
    There is much truth to this.   You can tell someone that touching fire is bad... but until they are burned they don't really understand.

I mean seriously... Ordanska thinks CoE is big enough that "competitors" are paying people to spread "hate" about it...

Think about the state you must be in to even believe such a thing... and it explains a lot about some comments.  
    DakeruGdemamiPingu2012JamesGoblinYashaX

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Answer: Dont support it....The consumers have the power to say no and not pay....Refuse to pay for games that arent released and if the model isn't good then dont support them.
    JamesGoblin
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802

I mean seriously... Ordanska thinks CoE is big enough that "competitors" are paying people to spread "hate" about it...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Omg Slap you just made my boring day at work a whole lot brighter.
    [Deleted User]Slapshot1188JamesGoblinYashaX
    Harbinger of Fools
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    A fool and their money are soon parted. 

For the people that actually support these things, what do your parents think of that expense on their credit card?