Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel & Disney Cut Ties with Gazillion Entertainment, MHO to Shut Down - Marvel Heroes Omega - MMOR

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    My condolences to @MikeB and whoever else loved/liked/didn't hate this game. It is always sad to see a world crumble. 
    [Deleted User]Gorwe
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    I was disappointed when Marvel decided to go with a game that reminded me of playing with dol... action figures and only had their own characters. Maybe dropping it will lead to a game with a full 3D immersive environment where you have the option to create your own heroes but team up with Marvel heroes, maybe have an alter ego that lets you play at being a normal citizen for little while as you look or wait for a call to duty. Sort of like City of Heroes but more advanced, Champions Online but not so toony, and DC but not so dark and with more interaction with the signature heroes and battles against the villains. And gameplay that encourages teaming up with whomever happens to be online, not solo missions or needing to have the same team of friends or a clique.
    Blaze_RockerFrodoFragins
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    Now many of you are beginning to understand why City of Heroes fans were so pissed when NCsoft shut it down. It's all "Boo hoo, what a bunch of crybabies. Grow up twerps!" until it happens to YOUR game.
    Regardless of that, I feel for you. I know it hurts.
    You do realize that the two crowds aren't necessarily one and the same, right? Like, it's possible (and very likely) that most affected by any closure have no opinion on your closed game. Frankly, all closures are bad, unless the game in question legitimately represents bad industry practice - and has from the start. 

That said, the advocates of a closed game truly can become annoying over time. On these forums, I would say that the SWG evangelists are among the most obnoxious people on the forums, regardless of whether their opinions hold merit or not. That doesn't mean that anyone should rejoice, for example, that SWG died, but it does reflect poorly on that community when the resentment of a closed game is taken out on other game communities. 
    PhryFrodoFragins
  • Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370

I was never intending to claim that all MHO players spoke negatively or trolled former CoH players. It may have seemed that way but that wasn't my intention. It's possible that some did but I doubt it was a large number.

My statement was meant to be directed at others reading the comments for the article, as more of a generalized message. I can't totally connect or sympathize with players of games or genres I haven't played/experienced but when it is a game of a type I have played I can understand its players much more closely.

Though the games may be different all of us here (or most of us here) play them so we all have that in common. One may not feel exactly as another when it comes to losing a game due to shutdown, but there are effects when it is a significant part of one's life. Sympathy from others can help a person move on after a life-altering experience ... whereas ridicule seldom helps anyone in such a case.

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122

I was never intending to claim that all MHO players spoke negatively or trolled former CoH players. It may have seemed that way but that wasn't my intention. It's possible that some did but I doubt it was a large number.

My statement was meant to be directed at others reading the comments for the article, as more of a generalized message. I can't totally connect or sympathize with players of games or genres I haven't played/experienced but when it is a game of a type I have played I can understand its players much more closely.

Though the games may be different all of us here (or most of us here) play them so we all have that in common. One may not feel exactly as another when it comes to losing a game due to shutdown, but there are effects when it is a significant part of one's life. Sympathy from others can help a person move on after a life-altering experience ... whereas ridicule seldom helps anyone in such a case.

I'm sure your whine about how some acted in relation to CoH being shut down years ago will be seen as a heartfelt gesture by those that just lost their game.

You might want to spend a bit more effort on that moving on thing.

• OysterstewOysterstew Member UncommonPosts: 15
    edited November 2017

I wish I could find more information about what is going on behind the scenes here. This was a game I liked for a long time, since beta. Not really much since the BEU.

I was kicked out of so many super-groups, man I had a good fun. 10 characters to Cosmic 60, even more up to red, and ready. Suck side is all the money, and time spent, goes poof in 6 weeks. Anyways be cool scumbags, catch ya on the flip.

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    edited November 2017
    "You might want to spend a bit more effort on that moving on thing."

I moved on several years ago. I just don't forget getting burned.

Post edited by Blaze_Rocker on

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.

• k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,500
    There was a lawyer/player on the official forums talking about a lawsuit, which I found funny, so I read the entire thread.  It seemed like he had actually contacted Disney who said that it was not a total shut down, that the ip was being removed from Gazillion and brought to another dev/publisher.  Who knows if this is true or not?  I do not but thought I would throw that out there.  Anyone who can say they didn't see this coming after the devs went black on the game with no updates for over a month was blind.  This was a crew that gave out updates/information about the game all the time so that was extremely unusual.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    No tears here, while I like hero games, this was not one that I found any fun playing.  Part of the fun of playing these games is creating your hero.  No such fun in this game, you had to use theirs.  Then the monetization design was way over the top.

Disney is rapidly becoming the next EA.  Investing money in any of their games is a risk if you expect to actually get anything, but short term results.
  • vladko92vladko92 Member UncommonPosts: 42
    This was expected since the beginning of 2017 when the new project from Square Enix and Marvel Studios was announced. Marvel Heroes Online was doomed right there. On the other side I am glad, Marvel Heroes lacked the interesting adventure vibe in it... you just had to do the same thing over and over again, and this felt so wrong and a lot more like RPG then MMORPG, for what they announced it. Personally I am looking forward to this new project, because I think this will be! The ever wanted MMORPG for Marvel!
  • odiasudaodiasuda Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Superhero mmo's seem to have their problems. Maybe it's time to stop making them huh?
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    What I always hated about this game was the fact gear upgrades felt non existent. Because drops ie gear didn't reflect on your toon as a visual upgrade it really made the game quite boring to me. Hopefully the Marvel IP is used in some form to make a real MMO in the future.
    BruceYee
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Ozmodan said:
    No tears here, while I like hero games, this was not one that I found any fun playing.  Part of the fun of playing these games is creating your hero.  No such fun in this game, you had to use theirs.  Then the monetization design was way over the top.

Disney is rapidly becoming the next EA.  Investing money in any of their games is a risk if you expect to actually get anything, but short term results.
    Disney got out of games - other companies who had acquired a Disney IP made the games.

Now if this shut down is indeed the result of Disney pulling/not renewing the IP and moving the IP to ????? we can speculate.

There is a a major shift currently underway in Disney who have (for financial reasons) decided that they need to transition from a broadcast/cable operation to running their own streaming service in 2019. Netflix, for example, have been told of changes.

Now Disney are big. Really big. Amazon get mentioned in the forums - they are currently spending c. $4B a year on content. Netflix get talked about - they currently spend c. $6B a year. Disney outspend both at c. $12B a year.

And so to the speculation.

What if Disney have decided to include "games" as part of their streaming service? Which are provided to customers of their new streaming service. If they have then it could be classed as content and come out of their content creation budget.

Games would appear over time making a subscription more attractive with everything from pre-school educational Sesame Street through to Star Wars. (EA's deal is not exclusive - Disney retained the rights for them to make SW games).
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    odiasuda said:
    Superhero mmo's seem to have their problems. Maybe it's time to stop making them huh?
    In this case i think its an issue with Marvel, the company is in a doubtful financial situation, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Disney did an EA on them. :/
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    gervaise1 said:
    Ozmodan said:

Disney got out of games - other companies who had acquired a Disney IP made the games.

Now if this shut down is indeed the result of Disney pulling/not renewing the IP and moving the IP to ????? we can speculate.

The license was just recently renewed. This likely had everything to do with the CEO controversy. 
  • victorvndoomvictorvndoom Member UncommonPosts: 19
    wonder because bendis left the building at marvel for dc so gazillion must leave the building aswel.. bendis was the cowriter of the scenarios of omega
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

I'd guess Disney bailed either due to MH not meeting financial requirements...
    This is most likely. Game developers are businesses, not personal assistants established to supply self-absorbed entitlement babies an endless supply of entertainment.
    BruceYee

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    "You might want to spend a bit more effort on that moving on thing."

I moved on several years ago. I just don't forget getting burned.

Your first post in this thread contradicts your assertion.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    wonder because bendis left the building at marvel for dc so gazillion must leave the building aswel.. bendis was the cowriter of the scenarios of omega
    He wasn't the only one who has left, Marvel these days is the home of mostly low talent artists and people of questionable politics, which they inject into their work far too much, the comics have suffered immensley its almost as if the company is no longer interested in actually making money as they have alienated much of their remaining fan base, that DC is likely to reap the rewards and 'fill the gap' so to speak is looking almost certain, it may well be too late for Marvel to turn things around as the problems at the company are too ingrained at this point. :/
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Phry said:
    He wasn't the only one who has left, Marvel these days is the home of mostly low talent artists and people of questionable politics, which they inject into their work far too much, the comics have suffered immensley its almost as if the company is no longer interested in actually making money as they have alienated much of their remaining fan base, that DC is likely to reap the rewards and 'fill the gap' so to speak is looking almost certain, it may well be too late for Marvel to turn things around as the problems at the company are too ingrained at this point. :/
    You mean the team behind MHO? Cause in general, their series are very successful on Netflix, Thor Ragnorak killed, next Spider-man game seems awesome. :|
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Asheram said:
    Disney/Marvel is cutting ties with a bunch of companies it seems. Disney is going to start it's own streaming service so after Netflix 2019 contract is up you won't be able to watch any Disney/Marvel movies on Netflix..
    Too many streaming services is likely to crash the market or split the market so that none of the platforms really excel.

To be honest, I think Netflix and Amazon have already locked it down as the dominant ones and there is no challenging them at this point. Other publishers should just accept that and take the money from them.

Loads have tried to challenge Steam in the same way and the only one that has gained any real progress is GoG since they had a unique selling point with the whole DRM free hook. I don't see it being any different here.

Either way, it's not looking good for us, the consumers. Just more ways we lose money if you try to stay honest and don't pirate anything.
    Agreed. I am not paying 10 dollars a month to each studio that is out there. But it looks like that is what will happen.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,823
    edited November 2017
    If the CEO was the issue they would have asked for him to be replaced not cut ties with the company. I hope so anyway as running a society on the basis of "allegations" rather than what is established in a court of law/tribunal etc is taking us back to the dark ages.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Scot said:
    If the CEO was the issue they would have asked for him to be replaced not cut ties with the company. I hope so anyway as running a society on the basis of "allegations" rather than what is established in a court of law/tribunal etc is taking us back to the dark ages.

Tell that to Hollywood.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I read he has a criminal record should be easy enough to check. 

Anyway when does a company actually take notice after one compliant, 10 complaints how about 25 ? It is easy enough to check so why didn't they ?

I have had this happened to me when I first started working. I told everyone I knew including my boss.....guess what nobody did anything and that old fucker went on to retire and get his government pension. I could kick up a fuss but I would have become unemployable and I had my mother living with me. 

So don't come and talk about allegations if everyone knew what he was doing it is no longer just allegations.

Liljna
    Chamber of Chains
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    cheyane said:
    I read he has a criminal record should be easy enough to check. 

Anyway when does a company actually take notice after one compliant, 10 complaints how about 25 ? It is easy enough to check so why didn't they ?

I have had this happened to me when I first started working. I told everyone I knew including my boss.....guess what nobody did anything and that old fucker went on to retire and get his government pension. I could kick up a fuss but I would have become unemployable and I had my mother living with me. 

So don't come and talk about allegations if everyone knew what he was doing it is no longer just allegations.

tried and sentenced in the court of public opinion. . .