Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima X: Odyssey: Virtues and Orc Fiction

The Ultima X: Odyssey (UXO) staff has recently released a revised version of their virtue page. Each of the eight virtues grants an incredibly powerful effect on the user but often has a long reuse time. These abilities are earned by doing quests associated with each virtue. This not only allows players to role-play their characters more, but it also grants each player a tremendous award for completing these quests. These abilities range from area of effect heals to the ability to slay any foe instantly and without any resistance (which has a 24 hour reuse time to balance this power out).

In addition to the virtue section of their website, the UXO staff has released the orc fiction section, which goes into great detail describing the orcish race. Role-players or anyone interested in UXO's story line should definitely look into this section.

Ultima X: Odyssey Official website: http://www.uxo.ea.com/

Comments

• SilveradoSilverado Member Posts: 41

I don't know if I would want to be an Orc, myself, but I like the virtue system. I have always been really interested in the legend of King Arthur and so I have always been interested in the entire world of the Quest and have always been attracted to the Palladin, myself. So, although the link is corrupted, I read about it and apparently you initially choose a Path and then work on attaining (is that the right word?) virtues, from the following: Protection of Honesty, Aura of Compassion, Supremacy of Valor, Certainty of Justice, Gift of Sacrifice, Equality of Honor, Bond of Spirituality, and Support of Humility. Does anyone know anything else about how this might work? Is there anything in-continuity between this virtue system and other games? Or is this pretty inventive? Or is this based on the franchise of Ultima?

• BagItTagItBagItTagIt Member Posts: 164

Hey...I've just recently started to get interested in UXO.  I've read all that I could manage to find on the game and can't WAIT till it comes out.  I heard about some sort of beta contest??  Is that right??

Anyway, the virtue system is what turned me on to the game the most.  something a little different from most of the MMORPGs there are...I'd love to find out anything else I can about it so feel free to fire away any other news you get...

thanks~

Originally posted by BagItTagIt
    I heard about some sort of beta contest??  Is that right??

You are correct sir, there is a beta contest that should at least get us through the door so we can see it for ourselves -- hey, I am a pretty selfish guy -- to I can see it for myself

• mobettahmobettah Member Posts: 77

Originally posted by Zohar 

In addition to the virtue section of their website, the UXO staff has released the orc fiction section, which goes into great detail describing the orcish race. Role-players or anyone interested in UXO's story line should definitely look into this section.
    Ultima X: Odyssey Official website: http://www.uxo.ea.com/

imageSo I read the new ork info, and I am not sure how the orks came to be if no female orcs were created...I mean, dod they appear via the Guardian as adult, fully trained military?  Were they young orcs?  Or orks of all ages, therefore facilitating the
    training of the military, and the division of labor within the military in rank by age?  Or are they ageless?

What is it about the pixies that made them turn on the orcs if they come from the same maker? 

Evolution seems to be stunted...where is Darwin?image

Originally posted by mobettah Evolution seems to be stunted...where is Darwin?

What are you?  Some sort of rabble-rouser?  I guess we can all sort of assume that since this all takes place in the Avatar's Beautiful Mind, he didn't really go through the entire 50M years of evolutions and maybe a lot of the game has more to do with his internal fantasy than on the Orcs and Elves that you and I know from visiting the Natural History Museum in NYC!  I mean, really!

I am just trying to get more info out of the developers on the nature of the races in UX:O.  Rabble rouser?  I guess I am just coming off a Return of the King high, a story that has so much legacy, and orcs! and elves! and humans, OH MY!  That is all.  I guess my Ultima series knowledge is limited.

I am not knocking calandryll, by any stretch of the imagination, only punping for more orc info....as they are one of my personal favorites, save the photas.  Iinquisitive minds want to know, Silverado.image

image  uxo Orphidian beast...

While I would also like to learn more about the Orcs background, I must point out an interesting conflict in your post, Mobettah.

You asked why their aren't female orcs, and followed by saying maybe you're just so interested bc you're on a ROTK high....well well well....someone slept through the first 2 LOTR.

As you (should) know, orcs didn't come froma da lova-makin b/w orcs (as awful as that sounds), but from a spawning underground at Isengard and Mt. Doom. 

So don't claiming inaccuracies now!  :)  jk....i am interested in learning more as well.  I'd really like to get up to speed.....Silverado, you seem to be the sage around here...can you point me out some good links???image 

I would be happy to.

Well, it all starts at the UXO web site.

Most folks check out UXOO for their UXO info.

Also, don't forget to follow the links at the top here for the Dev Diary.

If you join the UXO Yahoo Group then all the important stuff from Stratics will come to your INBOX.

Hmmm, what else?  There is the UXO board on Stratics.

UXO space on Gamespot.

And of course, since we're being hosted here for this convo, lets tip our hat to the UXO portion of MMORPG.com.

How is that?  Now, its my bed time!  Can't wait for the BETA!

Thanks Sil....more than enough info there!!  I might almost be officially sold on this one now....uxo looks like it could be a truly awesome game. 

Im playing horizons right now, but uxo might even be taking over for that once its released.

we'll see....

FYI, BagTag, I did see TTT and TTTEE, and I remember the spawned Orcs, but what we do not necessary know is if there was even ONE chick orc working in the dungeons...do orcs spawn like fish?  Did Sauron and Saruman declare that there are only male Orcs and Uruk-hai, respectively?  Remember there is a difference between the Ork and the Utuk-hai: in size, appearance and adaptability to light.

• redtigerredtiger Member Posts: 124
    image nice find. I'm sure there's probably some historical contradictions in some of those links, but it helps with the bigger picture.

Yeah, I guess I just did a quick Google, eh?