Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Marvel & Disney Cut Ties with Gazillion Entertainment, MHO to Shut Down - Marvel Heroes Omega - MMOR

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Asheram said:
    Disney/Marvel is cutting ties with a bunch of companies it seems. Disney is going to start it's own streaming service so after Netflix 2019 contract is up you won't be able to watch any Disney/Marvel movies on Netflix..
    Too many streaming services is likely to crash the market or split the market so that none of the platforms really excel.

To be honest, I think Netflix and Amazon have already locked it down as the dominant ones and there is no challenging them at this point. Other publishers should just accept that and take the money from them.

Loads have tried to challenge Steam in the same way and the only one that has gained any real progress is GoG since they had a unique selling point with the whole DRM free hook. I don't see it being any different here.

Either way, it's not looking good for us, the consumers. Just more ways we lose money if you try to stay honest and don't pirate anything.
    AsheramGolelornJeroKaneSeelinnikoi
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Just one week before Omega patch - when I've planned to return to the game. What a shame...

Thank you for your time!

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

3dom said:

Just one week before Omega patch - when I've planned to return to the game. What a shame...

It technically is the "Omega" patch.
    SamhaelGruntyPhloom
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162

Asheram said:

Disney/Marvel is cutting ties with a bunch of companies it seems. Disney is going to start it's own streaming service so after Netflix 2019 contract is up you won't be able to watch any Disney/Marvel movies on Netflix..

Too many streaming services is likely to crash the market or split the market so that none of the platforms really excel.

To be honest, I think Netflix and Amazon have already locked it down as the dominant ones and there is no challenging them at this point. Other publishers should just accept that and take the money from them.

Loads have tried to challenge Steam in the same way and the only one that has gained any real progress is GoG since they had a unique selling point with the whole DRM free hook. I don't see it being any different here.

Either way, it's not looking good for us, the consumers. Just more ways we lose money if you try to stay honest and don't pirate anything.

Let's not forget HBO
    Phloom
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Tiller said:
    Wow, I've played a bit of this game and actually liked it; till they revamped the skills and nerfed some of the characters (deadpool) also inventory management was a nightmare, beyond that it was a fun game to jump into for a few hours. I'm glad I never spent real money  in it like many folks did, otherwise I would be pissed.

Speaking of Deadpool 
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017
    Rosenborg said:

Asheram said:

Let's not forget HBO
    I have little experience with them since I'm in the UK. I think NOW TV is the only service here that includes their content in a monthly flat rate streaming service. People mostly watch things like Game of Thrones on Live Sky TV.. or pirate it. NOW TV is backed by Sky TV. It does alright with the older generations but it's nothing like the popularity of Netflix and Amazon.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    SBFord said:
    Not unexpected. I'll be interested to see what happens to Dohrmann as a result.
    I'm interested to see what happens to him, and very interested to hear the full story behind the shut down. I sure hope this isn't in response to the allegations. We've already seen it with House of Cards and I hope this isn't the case. Where dozens of good people lose their jobs because of the despicable actions of one person. This does seem the age of throwing the baby out with the bath water though. Particularly in situations of social faux pas.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Asheram said:
    Specifically on the gaming front, a Marvel Heroes game recently appeared on Steam.  From Lego. Could it be that Marvel chose to dump Gazillion not because of management and internal issues at Gazillion, but because Lego paid more money for the IP?
    BruceYee

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Mendel said:
    Asheram said:
    Specifically on the gaming front, a Marvel Heroes game recently appeared on Steam.  From Lego. Could it be that Marvel chose to dump Gazillion not because of management and internal issues at Gazillion, but because Lego paid more money for the IP?
    Don't think so, they just recently renewed their license.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Torval said:
    Ikeda said:
    I can't help but laugh at the money I know people have put into this that just got flushed. But yet Disney is totally kosher with EA....
    This brings up a good point. In the last couple of years I've had a few small online games shutter. It makes me a lot more cautious before I dump a money in a new IP, studio, or publisher when I suspect anything I put in will be flushed.
    The problem is that the Disney/Marvel/Lucas conglomerate isn't a small time operation.  That's one reason why I think Gazillion was booted.  Disney/Marvel might have felt that association with Gazillion might open a conduit for negative publicity to migrate up the food chain.  Disney has too much riding on their reputation as a family-friendly provider to risk any backwash from internal problems at one of their licensees.
    IselinBruceYeeJeroKane

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Mendel said:
    Asheram said:
    It wouldn't surprise me if Disney bought MH out and reopened it under it's flock in the future esp if there is still public interest in it.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I am surprised, I thought this was a great ARPG option with tons of variety, and the heroes were well done.

SoulsemmerIlaya
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited November 2017

Asheram said:

Mendel said:

Asheram said:

It wouldn't surprise me if Disney bought MH out and reopened it under it's flock in the future esp if there is still public interest in it.

Will they revert the game back to pre-BUE? cause it has been losing players ever since and probably the real reason they dumped Gaz--> they weren't making any money.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    SBFord said:
    Not unexpected. I'll be interested to see what happens to Dohrmann as a result.
    Dohrmann might have been the straw that broke the camel's back or the camel's back was already broken without his help - I suspect the later.

Misbehaving execs get ousted every day and the companies keep on ticking. Shutting down a whole service is usually a symptom of a systemic issue not just some dingbat ego-tripper with impulse control issues.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Bye bye, Gazillion. It's glorious to finally see the F2P market crumble.

That's a little messed up. You are happy to see a game get shut down? I'm almost positive this is an awful thing for anyone who works there. The game was also monetized fairly well, and you could earn everything through playing.
    I guess he thinks if the F2P market "crumbles" then all these game devs are going to have some sort of revelation and start offering games with subs and no cash shop.

Nope. They'll just follow the money and the entire MMO genre will crumble. No big bucks in subs. Those days are over (if there ever were big bucks in subs - WoW being the exception).
    Gorwe

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775

Bye bye, Gazillion. It's glorious to finally see the F2P market crumble.

That's a little messed up. You are happy to see a game get shut down? I'm almost positive this is an awful thing for anyone who works there. The game was also monetized fairly well, and you could earn everything through playing.
    I guess he thinks if the F2P market "crumbles" then all these game devs are going to have some sort of revelation and start offering games with subs and no cash shop.

Nope. They'll just follow the money and the entire MMO genre will crumble. No big bucks in subs. Those days are over (if there ever were big bucks in subs - WoW being the exception).
    I am trying to resolve exactly how 'people paying for what they want' as being a vote that people dont want it.

I understand completely the point about manipulation which is often a gray area but at the end of the day gamers are paying for it because they want it.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    edited November 2017
    Dauzqul said:
    This is absolutely ridiculous.

This was a very fun game. Licensing with an IP shouldn't have to be this yearly thing, but per title with proper sanctions in place.
    they had the PC license til 2019 and the console for longer.

I'd guess Disney bailed either due to MH not meeting financial requirements or due to a morality clause that the CEO/company didn't meet.  My guess is financials after the 3rd quarter results had to be given to disney.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Myrdynn said:
    I am surprised, I thought this was a great ARPG option with tons of variety, and the heroes were well done.

The CEO got a big round of funding for the console port and it bombed big time.  They tried salvaging things by locking costumes behind gambling boxes, adding exclusive powers to costumes and adding a shortcut to the omega prestige system.  But it was all too little too late and it didn't really address why people weren't intereswted in playing.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I loved this game and am of the rare opinion that the BUE was a large improvement to the game.

However, the game ultimately became nothing more than a prestige slog. I don't want to play the same few hours of content on repeat. Online games require new content to be relevant, and Marvel Heroes simply wasn't getting it, outside of rare movie tie-in events. That's a problem with the ARPG genre as a whole, but Marvel Heroes seemed to be especially empty for it.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited November 2017
    Aeander said:
    I loved this game and am of the rare opinion that the BUE was a large improvement to the game.

However, the game ultimately became nothing more than a prestige slog. I don't want to play the same few hours of content on repeat. Online games require new content to be relevant, and Marvel Heroes simply wasn't getting it, outside of rare movie tie-in events. That's a problem with the ARPG genre as a whole, but Marvel Heroes seemed to be especially empty for it.
    Yea, Grim Dawn, Path of Exile, and even Diablo 3 all got actual significant content updates while Marvel Heroes hasn't in like, years.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    IMO MH was no longer of very good quality so I am not surprised Disney wanted out.
  • ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    We’re sad to inform our players and our entire Marvel Heroes family that Marvel Heroes Omega will be shutting down.

The Marvel Heroes servers will stay on until Dec 31, 2017, and we’ll be removing real money purchases as soon as possible. Players will be able to play the game entirely for free once this sunset period commences. We will share the exact date things go completely free as soon as we can.

We’ve had the privilege of entertaining and collaborating with our players for over four years. We’re extremely humbled by that privilege and wanted to get this message out: Thank you. Thank you to our players, our tireless employees, and everyone involved in the life of Marvel Heroes, Marvel Heroes 2015, Marvel Heroes 2016, and Marvel Heroes Omega.

https://marvelheroes.com/news/news-articles/marvel-heroes-omega-shutting-down
  • MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    Just launched on consoles, people should get refunds that spent $$$...
    SlyLoKGorwe
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    Damn, sad news. I loved this little game. I had almost all the heroes, too. I played since beta.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Blaze_RockerBlaze_Rocker Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Now many of you are beginning to understand why City of Heroes fans were so pissed when NCsoft shut it down. It's all "Boo hoo, what a bunch of crybabies. Grow up twerps!" until it happens to YOUR game.
    Regardless of that, I feel for you. I know it hurts.

Now, I know it isn't Marvel but there are several CoH successor projects in-the-works. https://cityoftitans.com/ https://valiance.shogn.net/ https://www.shipofheroes.com/ http://www.heroes-and-villains.com/
    Maybe some of you can manage to find new virtual homes with one of those.
    wingoodjimmywolfFrodoFragins

I've got a feevah, and the only prescription... is more cowbell.