Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Class Raid Sets Being Discontinued. Will Cosmetic Appearances Replace Them? - World of Warcraft News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

Class Raid Sets Being Discontinued. Will Cosmetic Appearances Replace Them? - World of Warcraft News

When the next World of Warcraft expansion launches, it's simply not going to be your mama's WoW. In an interview with Game Informer, Game Director Ion Hazzikostas said that traditional class raid sets are headed out the door because of the feeling that they tend to lock players in and limit their choices when it comes to acquiring gear. 

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Post edited by SBFord on

Comments

• DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,455
    Well since world quests are already confirmed, my hype for the actual expansions outside of the story has pretty much died. If they keep the RNG pvp gearing system, I'll honestly just wait till BfA goes on sale.
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    We'll see.
    For the time being,I foresee Elf butts.
    Vezlinonelesslight
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737
    They are just making crap obsolete. Bad game design by first impression
    Nepheth
  • DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081

This is actually a great change. It means they can make other content more difficult and keep it more relevant longer, because the rewards can be kept relevant by other means. Right now, the set pieces are a prison... They can always adjust difficulty in patches if things become a bit too trivial, etc. This is really going to give players more choice and allow them to differentiate themselves from others besides simply transmogging the same pieces of gear. There will still be BiS - that is unavoidable - but this is a great change to bring us back to more "rewarding" feel when high level gear drops, because we won't be passing on them (or throwing them away/DEing them) for set pieces.

This is a great change. Raid sets were bad when they were introduced to EverQuest as well... "That's really nice, but I'm waiting on my class helm so I think I'll pass on it..." It was full of that, since Velious on up. EQ2 had the same issue, because the set pieces had such amazing focus effects, that it wasn't possible to pass on them for other high level gear - even though the other gear was really good aside from the lack of set bonus/focus effect.

Great change. Looking forward to this. Will make the game feel more fun and rewarding to play compared to now.

People like you just have to piss in others Cheerios, as if you have a clue about game design in the first place.
    SBFordlaseritSiegeMachineHatefullBlecodWarLord2424Nepheth
  • VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    The eq1 raid sets that were mostly from PoP and forward didn't have set bonuses. I even doubled checked the current stuff. I think people waiting for their class helm over a more generic piece was to save dkp for a superior item, or look, otherwise would grab it. Set bonuses were more of an EQ2 thing.

I kind of liked the non set bonuses too. Sometimes I would even bypass a slightly better item to keep my look.

I was never fond of transmogging too. Kind of liked knowing what someone had or showing off what I had or having to make the tough choice between 2 items. Although I do see the merit in transmog for set items that lock you into armor choices. I do miss being able to dye armor though. A little customization to really make it my own, but not fully change it.

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

Darksworm said:

This is actually a great change. It means they can make other content more difficult and keep it more relevant longer, because the rewards can be kept relevant by other means. Right now, the set pieces are a prison... They can always adjust difficulty in patches if things become a bit too trivial, etc. This is really going to give players more choice and allow them to differentiate themselves from others besides simply transmogging the same pieces of gear. There will still be BiS - that is unavoidable - but this is a great change to bring us back to more "rewarding" feel when high level gear drops, because we won't be passing on them (or throwing them away/DEing them) for set pieces.

This is a great change. Raid sets were bad when they were introduced to EverQuest as well... "That's really nice, but I'm waiting on my class helm so I think I'll pass on it..." It was full of that, since Velious on up. EQ2 had the same issue, because the set pieces had such amazing focus effects, that it wasn't possible to pass on them for other high level gear - even though the other gear was really good aside from the lack of set bonus/focus effect.

Great change. Looking forward to this. Will make the game feel more fun and rewarding to play compared to now.

People like you just have to piss in others Cheerios, as if you have a clue about game design in the first place.

Lol, gamers can be so quick to snarkiness mate. Calm down a notch theres no reason we cannot have civil and polite discussions on this website. Thank you very much. As to why I have the early impression this devalues the raiding scene and make it somewhat obsolete is simply the effort versus reward aspect.

Every change as big as this is bound to have some flaws in the eyes of someone. A big concern of mine is how much the incentive to try and do raids in the endgame become whether it will replace hunt for epic rare loot to empower your char or just common currency and cosmetics. Getting the warglaive of azzinoth wasn't just amazing because it had a low drop rate alone it was also the challenge to get the opportunity that made it legendaryback in burning crusade
    :)

Dhamon99
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    The cynical side of me is wondering whether they are going to start selling appearances via loot boxes.
    forcelimaBruceYee

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352

Vutar said:

laserit said:

The cynical side of me is wondering whether they are going to start selling appearances via loot boxes.

The day will come, just a matter of when. 

Not until they get rid of monthly fee.
    jimmywolf
  • AzukaeAzukae Member UncommonPosts: 14

Kootur said:

Vutar said:

laserit said:

That's where you're couldn't be more wrong.
    ThebeastttOzmodan
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    OMG wow what made WOW fun was all the raids now your telling me they remove it no wonder people quit this game and want vanilla WOW....
    ByrgenarHofenNephethOzmodan
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    I think everyone here, including the article writer, had the wrong idea of what this is.

Raid Tier sets are being removed.

So, you no longer have Druid Restoration Tier Set 22 or Warrior Fury Tier Set 23.

Raids will still drop epic gear but it will be generic Plate DPS.

Did people really think that raids would no longer gear upgrades? Like, seriously?!
    WarLord2424XophNephethOzmodan
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

Kootur said:

Vutar said:

laserit said:

FFXIV will probably do it sooner than wow since they already sell you cosmetics on a monthly basis there.
    Xiaoki said:
    I think everyone here, including the article writer, had the wrong idea of what this is.

So, you no longer have Druid Restoration Tier Set 22 or Warrior Fury Tier Set 23.

Did people really think that raids would no longer gear upgrades? Like, seriously?!

Yes.

It's amazing how dumb some human beings can be.  Every now and then we get a real view of how far the right left the I.Q. of people can fall on the spectrum.

They literally think these things, because they're dumb.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2017
    Sweet Irony, 5 years later they are still taking notes from GW2. Cosmetic is the way to go.

Many of us were not wrong when we said GW2 did a lot of great things for mmos and they left a lot of room for improvement. Here's hoping Blizzard does improve upon those systems (they do all the time when copying other games).

Gear upgrades will probably always be present in some form, but less focus on that grind is always better.
    Post edited by rojoArcueid on
    SBFord

Darksworm said:

Lol, gamers can be so quick to snarkiness mate. Calm down a notch theres no reason we cannot have civil and polite discussions on this website. Thank you very much. As to why I have the early impression this devalues the raiding scene and make it somewhat obsolete is simply the effort versus reward aspect.

Every change as big as this is bound to have some flaws in the eyes of someone. A big concern of mine is how much the incentive to try and do raids in the endgame become whether it will replace hunt for epic rare loot to empower your char or just common currency and cosmetics. Getting the warglaive of azzinoth wasn't just amazing because it had a low drop rate alone it was also the challenge to get the opportunity that made it legendaryback in burning crusade
    :)

Raids will still drop much of the best gear.  There are other things they're doing with the itemization, which is not covered by this specific topic.  Read up...

What you're questioning is illogical, because it simply won't happen.

What you're talking about is your ego.  No one, but you, cares about your ego.

What people care about, is having the largest amount of viable content and the least amount of wasted itemization.  This makes the game more fun and more rewarding for players to log in and play, day to day.

Dungeon drops will be more viable.  World boss drops will be more viable.  Raid drops that occupy the same slot as set pieces will be more viable.

Yes, it's nice to get a powerful, rare drop from a difficult raid boss...  Nothing will change that.  Those types of rare, prized item drops will still exist.

What's also nice is not seeing half the items you get from Dungeons, Raids Token Rolls, and Mythic+ rot/DE because you have a set piece in that slot and the set bonus >>>>> any stat increases the "upgrade" will give you - even with fairly massive iLevel differences.

There is no way for this to have the flaw you're talking about.  The fact that they're doing away with Tier does not mean that there will not be rarer, more powerful drops from the highest raid difficulties.  You're not making much sense, at all.  What you're talking about isn't even related to what I'm referring to.

I've already said BiS will still exist, and there will still be better drops from different places.

What doing away with tier does is lower the barrier to entry for raiding, while widening the available viable gear pieces for each slot.  If you got Tier from heroic raids but a nice piece dropped in Mythic, right now you would skip the Mythic piece to avoid breaking the set bonus.  If the Tier has the two worse secondaries for your class, you sucked it up and wore it, cause of the set bonuses - unless you can find another piece of Tier in a different slot to equip, allowing you to swap that slot out to something that had better stats; and that's assuming the other piece of tier doesn't have junk secondaries as well...

Class Armor sets are nice, in theory, but in practice they are and have always been awful - a sort of jail cell once you've gotten them.  They were awful in EQ - years before WoW existed - and they're equally awful in WoW.
    SBFordByrgenarHofenjimmywolfNephethMadFrenchie
  • TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    If it adds more looks: great, if not... meh, another thing to cut effort on.
    SBFordSignex
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    This would make sense if they also eliminate best in slot. Otherwise I fail to see the point. Maybe someone less drunk should explain it to me, @laserit
    laserit
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868
    edited November 2017

Sweet Irony, 5 years later they are still taking notes from GW2. Cosmetic is the way to go.

Many of us were not wrong when we said GW2 did a lot of great things for mmos and they left a lot of room for improvement. Here's hoping Blizzard does improve upon those systems (they do all the time when copying other games).

Gear upgrades will probably always be present in some form, but less focus on that grind is always better.

I don't think you understand what this means. It does not mean you won't pickup armor pieces that are upgrades, that can titanforge, ect it just means that those armor pieces simply won't have set bonuses. I would not read into this as more horizontal progression. The game has had transmog since before GW2 was even out yet as well.. The game is all about raising the numbers on your gears higher and higher, will always be that way too. If anything, they have only doubled down on that over time.
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Raid sets become cosmetics after every expansion!

So they are going to make loot drops more generic like MH artifacts where multiple classes are able to equip the same items and still have it be BiS?
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited November 2017

Xiaoki said:

I most certainly did NOT have it wrong. It was never stated that raids would go away, but that raid armor sets would. Period.

Great gear can still be obtained, it's just not tied to collecting a certain number of pieces. Gear can still be warforged etc.

Rather than being awarded sets of gear that add bonuses to damage or to utility after collecting x-number of pieces, they are providing appropriate iLevel gear for the version of the raid that can be enhanced with and customized with Azurite and / or there is the possibility that cosmetic looks will be unlocked at each raid level (mythic, heroic, normal, LFR).

ByrgenarHofenobserver

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• DvalinDKDvalinDK Member UncommonPosts: 18
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847

SBFord said:

Xiaoki said:

I most certainly did NOT have it wrong. It was never stated that raids would go away, but that raid armor sets would. Period.

Rather than being awarded sets of gear that add bonuses to damage or to utility after collecting x-number of pieces, they are providing appropriate iLevel gear for the version of the raid that can be enhanced with and customized with Azurite and / or there is the possibility that cosmetic looks will be unlocked at each raid level (mythic, heroic, normal, LFR).

I never said that you implied that raids would go away. What gave you that idea?

Raid sets are not going away, raid TIER sets are. There's a difference.

Also, only Head, Shoulder and Chest armor can be enhanced with Azerite.

Lastly, the only thing they said about cosmetics is that the armor that does drop will be themed to the raid.

This is definitely reminding me of an article you defended saying that it would take 7000 years to max out the artifact traits.
    Nepheth
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    @Xiaoki That's what happens when reading at 2:00 am when starting work so far without coffee :)

All of what you stated (except that last hyperbolic statement) is perfectly said and obviously known. Even the pieces that can't be enhanced with Azurite will be better iLevel at, for instance, Mythic than it would be at Heroic and so forth.

As for your last statement, that calculation wasn't made by me but was a sound mathematical prediction based on the levels of AP acquisition at the start of Legion. I don't think anyone in their right mind would have thought it would take that long and that, of course, Blizz would up the AP gains (as they did). Given the lifespan of an expansion is like 2 years, I think everyone was pretty clear that it was going to change. LOL :dizzy:  It was a fun statistical analysis and one that became passe in a few months after it was calculated by the community.
    ByrgenarHofen[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    Really looking forward to this change!
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • WarLord2424WarLord2424 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    SBFord said:
    @Xiaoki That's what happens when reading at 2:00 am when starting work so far without coffee :)

All of what you stated (except that last hyperbolic statement) is perfectly said and obviously known. Even the pieces that can't be enhanced with Azurite will be better iLevel at, for instance, Mythic than it would be at Heroic and so forth.

As for your last statement, that calculation wasn't made by me but was a sound mathematical prediction based on the levels of AP acquisition at the start of Legion. I don't think anyone in their right mind would have thought it would take that long and that, of course, Blizz would up the AP gains (as they did). Given the lifespan of an expansion is like 2 years, I think everyone was pretty clear that it was going to change. LOL :dizzy:  It was a fun statistical analysis and one that became passe in a few months after it was calculated by the community.
    Couldn't casually posting said statistics incite panic in the less informed? Just a thought, I had.