Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will A:IR Reignite AAA MMORPG Development? - Bill Murphy - MMORPG.com

Comments

• EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 416
    Looks just like all the other asia mmo's...Asians trying to make "western like" characters..only they look like blonde asians..and all the ladies running around with steel bikinis with a voice sounding like they're in pain. There haven't been a truly good mmorpg from the east ever, and this does not look like it will change that at all
  • DAOWAceDAOWAce Member UncommonPosts: 432
    TERA devs + BDO publisher.. yeah, no.

Daum/Kakao already showed how incompetent they are with publishing BDO in the west, and BHS clearly don't know how to manage security in their programs (recent TERA chat discovery).

Kakao can't even have proper BDO servers (even with all the p2w whales feeding them infinite money); what hope do they have to host TWO games?

So hard to find respectable developers/publishers in this day and age..
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    If it launches with gender lock...I have zero interest.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    If it launches with gender lock...I have zero interest.
    As it has been clarifird seven hundred times already, there is no if. And it has the best gender lock ever. ;)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • slay_shadowslay_shadow Member UncommonPosts: 4
    edited November 2017
    ITS NOT GENDER LOCKED SO GUYS PLS STOP SPREADING S H I T like always..atleast read something about that game before you start posting like little kids
    ConstantineMerus
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Ratero said:
    They lost me soon as it was mentioned that it was an Asian MMO. I don't like the Asian grind, oversized weapons, male characters that look like they are professional crossdressers, cash shop, progression locks that must be unlocked by PvP or cash and the overly "cutesy" air hovering over the entire game.

I liked the steam-punk vibe but that is about it.
    "I don't like the Asian oversized weapons!"

Meanwhile in the west...

That's so disappointing, but I guess where do you go after so many expansions?  Lol sooner or later the gamers go "man, this same size sword doesn't FEEL any better than the one from the previous expac..."
    ConstantineMerus

• KnyttaKnytta Member UncommonPosts: 414
    I think it might be fun, at least is a somewhat new idea. And as Bill says, its very important that PvP is an option not a core function, at least if they want the really big player numbers in the West.

Chi puo dir com'egli arde é in picciol fuoco.

He who can describe the flame does not burn.

Petrarch

Ratero said:
    They lost me soon as it was mentioned that it was an Asian MMO. I don't like the Asian grind, oversized weapons, male characters that look like they are professional crossdressers, cash shop, progression locks that must be unlocked by PvP or cash and the overly "cutesy" air hovering over the entire game.

Meanwhile in the west...

That's so disappointing, but I guess where do you go after so many expansions?  Lol sooner or later the gamers go "man, this same size sword doesn't FEEL any better than the one from the previous expac..."
    Over-sized weapons and shoulder pads were there since the beginning. 

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    ITS NOT GENDER LOCKED SO GUYS PLS STOP SPREADING S H I T like always..atleast read something about that game before you start posting like little kids
    Did you just stamp your feet?   

;)
    ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RateroRatero Member UncommonPosts: 440
    Ratero said:

Meanwhile in the west...

I don't play that soul sucking game either for similar reasons.

• BionicFoxBionicFox Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I am super excited for AIR , I recommend signing up on the official forum to stay up to date : https://forum.airthegame.com/index.php
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited November 2017
    Ratero said:

Meanwhile in the west...

But it looks ugly so it's fine, typical western artstyle. The west is afraid of sexy things, it's not christian. That being said, I put elder scrolls games as my fav of all time, so I will sacrifice looks for great game design.
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    edited November 2017
    Myrdynn said:
    I don't care about Gender lock if there is enough classes, but only 5 classes??? and since I will only play a male it means I am likely stuck with a Warrior and a Rogue as my options once again
    No, each class will have two subclasses but they haven't revealed yet what they are. Go to https://www.airthegame.com/teaser#none and click on News, then the Classes Spotlight article. They're weirdly not directly linkable, but at the very bottom there's a little sentence about subclasses that will be revealed later.

Also there's no gender lock.
  • SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    In b4 its just yet another boring wow clone with the same single player game mindset that its devoloped for.

The main problem with mmorpgs is they have lost the MMO part, if you can solo all the way to level cap and thru msot of the content, its not a mmo anymore its now a gimped single player game. This is the main problem with mmorpgs these days. They need to make the game so you have to group past like level 10, or else you don't get anywhere. This forces socilization and gets people to work together, it also prevents alot of people from being an ass as they can't just go and solo it instead.

FF11 did this well by being very group oriented as most classes past lv 8 or 10 required a party for most things, all jobs being accessable on one char, and stuff actually taking some time and commitment to do long before level cap. This prevent trolls from being trolls as people who were known to be an ass were often excluded from parties, same if you sucked at the game, you'd not get invites. The fact it took a fair amount of time to do things prevented people from just making a new char if they got a bad rep, as it might take months (insted of days like most mmorpgs today) to get anywhere near where they were.

FF11 before it got the casualifcation patch and abbysea was one of the last real mmorpgs that existed, as you always needed people to do things, even to level up. Its still the best mmorpg i've played in recent years, or rather since wow came out.

This is what mmorpgs have lost since wow came out with how it changed the genre from a game where you were required to work together, to bascally a crappy single player game that just has a chat room. This is also what people refer to as the good old days, back when mmorpgs were not soloable at all, and you always needed others to do anything, even to just level. They also didn't hand everything out like they do today, in FF11 you had to put in some effort to get things, nothing was ever just handed to you.

I've played alot of mmorpgs over the years, tried pretty much every game once, and to this day, no mmo has kept me a concurrent player for as long as FF11 did back when I played it. Most mmo's today I get bored of in less than a week, as there really is nothing usually to do other than go from quest hub to quest hub.

P.s. people who complain about it taking forever to get a party in ff11 back in the day, never seemed to relize it was their own fault, they were sitting there expecting it to fall into their lap, insted of going out and putting their own party together. I often had guildmates ask me how I leveled so fast back then in ff11, and the answer was simple: I make my own parties, its often much faster than waiting unless your certan jobs like paladin, redmage, white mage. Those usually got a party pretty quickly. Back when FF11 came out stateside I was one of the first few NA players to hit lv 50 and start the first lv cap quest.
    Kyleran

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Looks like they threw everything and the kitchen sink into this one. Having watched the video, I'm still not sure what this game is supposed to be.
    killerqueer

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Trippy. Don't know what to think.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• qwikknqwikkn Member CommonPosts: 1
    all the crying about gender locking and how that makes the programmer's lazy. You all are the LAZY ones. the question was answered already that there will be NO gender locking, try looking stuff up instead of WHAAAAAAA I quit.
    AND NO I will not do the work for you , go look it up
  • sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    Ratero said:

Meanwhile in the west...

that sword is from the Burning Crusade. . . you know, the 1st expansion.
    MadFrenchie
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    qwikkn said:
    all the crying about gender locking and how that makes the programmer's lazy. You all are the LAZY ones. the question was answered already that there will be NO gender locking, try looking stuff up instead of WHAAAAAAA I quit.
    AND NO I will not do the work for you , go look it up
    We got that, it was confirmed many pages back and most are over it. Did you just make your alt account to complain about the complainers?
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited November 2017
    Every single site i read about THIS game,has to mention "from the developer of the smash hit PUBG",it is like every site says the same thing,is anyone making their own news or is this all pre fabbed by the developer and copy pasted by the websites.
    PUBG is a pile of crap,5% better than H1Z1 that seems to somehow be a pile of crap now that players have made PUBG their home.

VERY little effort has gone into PUBG,so if the same kind of effort goes into Infinite Realm i would expect a pile of crap.I repeat,if they can't put any effort into a simple game like PUBG,how could ANYONE expect a fully fledged MMORPG out`of this team?

So why has the news not aimed at "TERA creator"i mean Tera is a mmorpg ,PUBG is not so why that comparison,it makes zero sense and less sense that EVERY website is saying the same thing,so yeah you can understand my skeptic look on this sudden advertising.

Devilian<<<OUCH,complete crap,this site also tried to tell us how great that game was as well,oh yes we shoudl beleive there is no working arrangement between this site and Bluehole when trying to convince us Devilian was good ,NOBODY cares about Devilian.

Long winded point?Why should we believe this site or any site hyping up a game based on PUBG that is not even related to the same genre and Devilian not mentioned either which is closer to Infinite than PUBG is.Use YOUR OWN judgement,this studio has not put out any real effort since Tera and that game has a very low population,so this to me is a FAST money grab,similar to PUBG,let me guess.....Founders packs for sale?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2017
    sayuu said:
    Ratero said:

Meanwhile in the west...

Never played TBC long enough to notice those items.

I'm not a fan of the oversized, though it does seem to work better when the overall art style is cartoonish ala WoW.

I much prefer a normal sized sword with intricate designs carved into blade and/or hilt.  Same goes for armor.  It doesn't have to be historic, but suspension of disbelief only goes so far when you're lugging around a sword 4 ft taller than your character.

• lancerxxlancerxx Member UncommonPosts: 63
    Wizardry said:
    Every single site i read about THIS game,has to mention "from the developer of the smash hit PUBG",it is like every site says the same thing,is anyone making their own news or is this all pre fabbed by the developer and copy pasted by the websites.
    PUBG is a pile of crap,5% better than H1Z1 that seems to somehow be a pile of crap now that players have made PUBG their home.

VERY little effort has gone into PUBG,so if the same kind of effort goes into Infinite Realm i would expect a pile of crap.I repeat,if they can't put any effort into a simple game like PUBG,how could ANYONE expect a fully fledged MMORPG out`of this team?

So why has the news not aimed at "TERA creator"i mean Tera is a mmorpg ,PUBG is not so why that comparison,it makes zero sense and less sense that EVERY website is saying the same thing,so yeah you can understand my skeptic look on this sudden advertising.

Devilian<<<OUCH,complete crap,this site also tried to tell us how great that game was as well,oh yes we shoudl beleive there is no working arrangement between this site and Bluehole when trying to convince us Devilian was good ,NOBODY cares about Devilian.

Long winded point?Why should we believe this site or any site hyping up a game based on PUBG that is not even related to the same genre and Devilian not mentioned either which is closer to Infinite than PUBG is.Use YOUR OWN judgement,this studio has not put out any real effort since Tera and that game has a very low population,so this to me is a FAST money grab,similar to PUBG,let me guess.....Founders packs for sale?
    Saying nobody cares about a game comes across as arrogant imo :smile:
    sayuu said:
    Ratero said:

Meanwhile in the west...

Never played TBC long enough to notice those items.

I'm not a fan of the oversized, though it does seem to work better when the overall art style is cartoonish ala WoW.

I much prefer a normal sized sword with intricate designs carved into blade and/or hilt.  Same goes for armor.  It doesn't have to be historic, but suspension of disbelief only goes so far when you're lugging around a sword 4 ft taller than your character.
    Problem is they all feel the same way, size doesn't matter at all. (what a relief guys, eh?)

There are big weapons in Dark Souls. But you'd feel the weight. I'm ok with that. Although they rarely ridiculously big. 
    MadFrenchie

• bhaynes333bhaynes333 Member UncommonPosts: 8
    Mmorpg.com how much does your research team get paid because they should make less... https://forum.airthegame.com/index.php?threads/the-a-ir-teaser-faq-is-live.43/

A lot of guessing in your views with little actual research done >.<<br />
    Fyi: planning on not making genderlocked classes just so ya know
  • bhaynes333bhaynes333 Member UncommonPosts: 8

LrdEtrius said:

Nope. I jumped out of the hype boat as soon as i noticed the gender lock. If they can't even have this basic thing in character management i don't wanna know the rest.

Maybe do some research >.<

Directly from their FAQ forum
    "Are the classes of A:IR gender locked?
    Bluehole is planning to add both genders to each class."