Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard savages Star Wars Battlefront 2 in series of StarCraft tweets

MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
https://www.polygon.com/2017/11/14/16652186/blizzard-savages-star-wars-battlefront-2-tweets

In light if the recent heated debates, thought it was worth sharing the Polygon article noticing some choice tweets by Blizzard referencing the criticism, it appears.  Shots fired!

Iselin

Comments

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    And yet the new CoD has incentives for watching people open loot boxes. 
    MadFrenchieScot
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    SBFord said:
    Sorry Suzie, I still haven't created an account at GameSpace.  I'm an old dog who doesn't wanna learn new tricks!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    That's awesome.
    MadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Polygon still covering games now and again. They cover games about as often as Forbes does
    MadFrenchieConstantineMerus

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• sayuusayuu Member RarePosts: 766
    I was not aware Blizzard made the new Call of Looty game. . .
    Jeleena
    SEANMCAD said:
    Polygon still covering games now and again. They cover games about as often as Forbes does
    That wasn't even a sarcastic LOL Sean, I really chuckled when I read your post.   :D

edited November 2017
    sayuu said:
    His implication that Activision (I'm assuming that was his implication) is just as bad isn't wrong imo, but Blizzard seems to largely have been able to dictate to Activision how they wish to move forward in a way most other developers can't do with such a large publisher.  I gotta give those guys credit for making moves we wouldn't normally associate with Activision while living under its umbrella.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Gorwe said:
    Blizzard should really shut the fuck up before people actually remember who it was that jumpstarted this lootbox craze. Overwatch did. So, if they're smart, they'll keep silent.
    I've never played Overwatch and even I know you get every character for the initial box price. Your analogies are bad and you should feel bad.
    KyleranVrika
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017
    Very clever marketing by Bliz. Hottest story in gaming at the moment putting your FTP launch in the shadows? Jump on it. Sometimes the simplest solution is the best one.

Their marketing team are earning their pennies.
    heerobyaVrikaMadFrenchie
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Gorwe said:
    Blizzard should really shut the fuck up before people actually remember who it was that jumpstarted this lootbox craze. Overwatch did. So, if they're smart, they'll keep silent.
    I've never played Overwatch and even I know you get every character for the initial box price. Your analogies are bad and you should feel bad.
    Overwatch contained cosmetic loot boxes. People had serious issues with it.

Jim Sterling for one.

Gdemami

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    immodium said:
    Gorwe said:

Jim Sterling for one.

I don't want to defend Overwatch - I don't even own the game.

But in all fairness...
    Is there something Jim Sterling does NOT have an issue with?
    Harbinger of Fools
    edited November 2017
    Gorwe said:
    Gorwe said:

No. They are a DIRECT CAUSE to today's state of gaming. Whether people see that or not is no problem of mine.

Remember people, Blizzard IS NOT on your side! They are just on the opposite side of EA. An enemy of my enemy if you will.
    Team Fortress 2 (Valve) was the first to implement loot boxes in the west, not Blizzard.
    GorweShodanasGdemami
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    I feel really bad for people who aren't buying BF2 because of the loot boxes... the single player campaign is so fun, the "Star Wars Magic" feel/look/sights/sounds are all 100% spot in. It's like taking a shower in hot, steamy nostalgia.

The gameplay is markedly improved. I know once I finish the campaign I'll spend some time in the Arcade goofing around with custom games, 3 star as many of the challenges as possible, and then jump into multiplayer.

And with a solid post-launch release of free single player and multiplayer content... I know I'll be spending a good 100+ hours at least in the game over the next 6 months, which makes the $80 deluxe purchase a very good deal at less than a dollar per hour of entertainment.

If I get some xbox live rewards cards for my birthday and/or Christmas, will probably even buy some credit to get more lootboxes and get more skins/emotes and help progress a bit.

Who cares?

It's a shooter, the card ranks really only give you minor bonuses, your skill as a player will still outweigh any RPG disparity 10 to 1.

And the heroes? I've never liked the heroes gameplay... but with the dedicated 4vs4 heroes mode I may enjoy it? Don't know yet.

As for EA itself - I've quite enjoyed Battlefield 1, Titanfall 1/2, DA: Inquisition, and yes - even Mass Effect Andromeda.

I hope Anthem is a competent competitor/replacement for Destiny 2, as thus far I don't see/am not experiencing the same kick/rush/addiction on D2 as I did for Destiny 1. 
    heerobya said:
    I feel really bad for people who aren't buying BF2 because of the loot boxes... the single player campaign is so fun, the "Star Wars Magic" feel/look/sights/sounds are all 100% spot in. It's like taking a shower in hot, steamy nostalgia.

The gameplay is markedly improved. I know once I finish the campaign I'll spend some time in the Arcade goofing around with custom games, 3 star as many of the challenges as possible, and then jump into multiplayer.

And with a solid post-launch release of free single player and multiplayer content... I know I'll be spending a good 100+ hours at least in the game over the next 6 months, which makes the $80 deluxe purchase a very good deal at less than a dollar per hour of entertainment.

If I get some xbox live rewards cards for my birthday and/or Christmas, will probably even buy some credit to get more lootboxes and get more skins/emotes and help progress a bit.

Who cares?

It's a shooter, the card ranks really only give you minor bonuses, your skill as a player will still outweigh any RPG disparity 10 to 1.

And the heroes? I've never liked the heroes gameplay... but with the dedicated 4vs4 heroes mode I may enjoy it? Don't know yet.

As for EA itself - I've quite enjoyed Battlefield 1, Titanfall 1/2, DA: Inquisition, and yes - even Mass Effect Andromeda.

I hope Anthem is a competent competitor/replacement for Destiny 2, as thus far I don't see/am not experiencing the same kick/rush/addiction on D2 as I did for Destiny 1. 
    I think the ultimate lesson and conclusion for this whole thing is that people would rather pay for DLC instead of having the whole game and progression system designed around micro-transactions to supplement the cost of free DLC.

I know that's what I'd prefer. That way you can choose 'not' to get the DLC and the game you bought is unaffected.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Dakeru said:
    immodium said:
    Gorwe said:

Jim Sterling for one.

But in all fairness...
    This is funny to me because it's pretty true. I have been a fan of Jim for a long time, and he seems to get his underwear bunched up over every little thing. I remember the backlash when he gave Zelda BOTW a 7 out of 10. 
    heerobya said:

Who cares?

The bonuses are far from minor.  Something like 20% more damage and 20% higher fire rate and turn rate in a Starfighter is a substantial advantage.

These aren't sidegrades.  They're straight upgrades to key statistics on the competitive multiplayer side.  Quite honestly, no self-respecting multiplayer developer should even give straight upgrades like that because it destroys the integrity of the multiplayer portion.  For all the posting that Blizzard started the lootbox craze, they had the good sense not to hand out upgrades to players in a competitive multiplayer title.

But such is the progression.  Publishers aren't looking at these monetizations through the lens of "how much does this improve the experience," but through a lens of "how much more will the players stand?"
    Gdemami

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Dakeru said:
    immodium said:
    Gorwe said:

Jim Sterling for one.

But in all fairness...
    This is funny to me because it's pretty true. I have been a fan of Jim for a long time, and he seems to get his underwear bunched up over every little thing. I remember the backlash when he gave Zelda BOTW a 7 out of 10. 
    Yeah I don't even mean to trash talk him or something.
    It's just that his rants are part of his style very much like his suit.
    It's what creates his popularity and entertainment value.

So using  guy whose job it is to rant doesn't seem like the best choice to back up an argument.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    heerobya said:

Who cares?

I think the ultimate lesson and conclusion for this whole thing is that people would rather pay for DLC instead of having the whole game and progression system designed around micro-transactions to supplement the cost of free DLC.

I know that's what I'd prefer. That way you can choose 'not' to get the DLC and the game you bought is unaffected.
    I think EA would get a lot of hate if they released a Star Wars game and sold us Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Darth Vader as day zero DLC packages.

They're not just putting extra stuff behind paywalls. They've taken the most iconic heroes of the franchise.

Vrika said:
    heerobya said:

Who cares?

I think EA would get a lot of hate if they released a Star Wars game and sold us Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia and Darth Vader as day zero DLC packages.

They're not just putting extra stuff behind paywalls. They've taken the most iconic heroes of the franchise.
    That's not what I meant. I mean like extra maps, maybe a new game mode 4 months later. Maybe 'new' heroes later. Nothing day zero. You know.. the way things used to be done.

They've used the "free DLC" argument many times to justify why the game is so micro transaction heavy. 
  • CaffynatedCaffynated Member RarePosts: 753
    I don't see the burn.

Bliz is giving away part of a 7 year old game with declining interest to bring in new customers who they hope will want to buy the 2 other DLC campaigns, the DLC announcer packs, and DLC commanders.

This is the opposite of a burn.
    edited November 2017
    heerobya said:

Who cares?

The bonuses are far from minor.  Something like 20% more damage and 20% higher fire rate and turn rate in a Starfighter is a substantial advantage.

These aren't sidegrades.  They're straight upgrades to key statistics on the competitive multiplayer side.  Quite honestly, no self-respecting multiplayer developer should even give straight upgrades like that because it destroys the integrity of the multiplayer portion.  For all the posting that Blizzard started the lootbox craze, they had the good sense not to hand out upgrades to players in a competitive multiplayer title.
    You can craft the 2nd highest tier of cards quite easily, which maybe put you up to 15% in your example.

And the highest end cards you can only earn through gameplay, not buy.

So yes, it is (potentially) paying to get ahead, but it's not pay to win and it's not as big and drastic of an advantage as the sensationalist anti-EA everything crowd would have you believe.

The starfighter gameplay specifically is quite fast, 20% damage/resistance/mobility sounds like a lot on paper, but in actual gameplay it's NOT a huge advantage.

I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head... but (for example) if you have like 1,500 HP as a fighter, having 20% more gives you 1,800 HP - and say enemy shots each take of 250 HP that is a difference of 6 vs 7.2 shots to kill you... 

Which in gameplay speed is maybe like an eight of a second difference?? 
    At the end of the day, I hope the teams at DICE, Criterion and Motive are proud of the game they made. I would bet my blaster that the Metacritic score would be 5-8 points higher if it weren't for the micro-transaction "issue" and I hope EA knows that too.
    MadFrenchieGorwe
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    They may poke fun now, but I remember when game designers poked fun and indeed were very annoyed at Farmville when it was announced what a huge success it had been. Look at mobile gaming now.

I applaud that Blizzard has a game with which they can make these statements. But as Simsalabim points out there are loot boxes in CoD, which fall from the sky onto the beaches of Normandy and can be seen by other players. I presume this is to make them feel envious and want to buy them.

Over the years gaming companies have become about business and less about anything else. Less about how good the entertainment it, less about the artistry, the community, the creativity. Blizzard is not immune to that sadly, this is already where the gaming industry is and it is only going to get worse until regulation is brought in.
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited November 2017
    sayuu said:
    His implication that Activision (I'm assuming that was his implication) is just as bad isn't wrong imo, but Blizzard seems to largely have been able to dictate to Activision how they wish to move forward in a way most other developers can't do with such a large publisher.  I gotta give those guys credit for making moves we wouldn't normally associate with Activision while living under its umbrella.
    This idea had traction when both Activision and Blizzard were owned by Vivendi; the potential being there for Blizzard to argue a case to a higher power etc.

Not now. The name on the door is Activision Blizzard.

So, for example, when it comes to expansions launch used to be "when done". The last couple have released to a schedule given out to investors many months in advance. And it showed.