Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: Battlefront II Review – This is the Star Wars Game You’ve Been Looking For - Not So MMO -

Comments

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    laserit said:
    This game uses f2p style hardcore grind for credits and p2w gamble boxes if you want to avoid it. But instead of being free, you pay the max price for it.

People that buy this game are part of the problem. It is your money that validates EA's shitty monetization. Don't have to point at others for doing it too, it is still your choice that actively support EA in this.

Its like taking candy from a baby ;)
    Maybe you confuse me with someone who gives a shit about this game. My comment is mainly aimed at the hypocrites who buy this game because ' boycotting does not work because of whales'. Not realising that they are an important part of the reason why it doesn't work.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    This game uses f2p style hardcore grind for credits and p2w gamble boxes if you want to avoid it. But instead of being free, you pay the max price for it.

People that buy this game are part of the problem. It is your money that validates EA's shitty monetization. Don't have to point at others for doing it too, it is still your choice that actively support EA in this.

It's exactly the F2P model superimposed on AAA $70 games even to the point of having timers before you can earn more in-game credits from activities again - lengthy multiple hour timers. It amazes me that anyone is OK with that or willing to grin and bear it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Aeander said:
    Want to. Not need to. 
    ...you don't need to play games either.
    laseritIselinAeanderStjerneoddFlyByKnightQSatuunfilteredJW
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Gdemami said:
    Aeander said:
    Want to. Not need to. 
    Wow. Just wow. That statement says all that needs to be said about the validity of your opinion.
    IselinGdemamiStjerneoddQSatu
    Aeander said:
    Gdemami said:
    Aeander said:
    Want to. Not need to. 
    Wow. Just wow. That statement says all that needs to be said about the validity of your opinion.
    Yeah I looked for the "Duh!" or "No shit, Sherlock" buttons but unfortunately I couldn't find them... I just went with a LOL... seems fitting considering the source.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Aeander said:
    ...well, you proposed that argument in your post, not me.
    Aeander
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Iselin said:
    Aeander said:
    Gdemami said:
    Aeander said:
    Want to. Not need to. 
    Yeah I looked for the "Duh!" or "No shit, Sherlock" buttons but unfortunately I couldn't find them... I just went with a LOL... seems fitting considering the source.
    That's actually one of the most intelligent things I've seen @Gdemami post.

If the gamer/consumer shows a little restraint, these business models will improve.

For these companies it's as easy as taking candy from a baby. Its the consumers fault that things are the way they are.
    Gdemami

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:

Its like taking candy from a baby ;)
    Maybe you confuse me with someone who gives a shit about this game. My comment is mainly aimed at the hypocrites who buy this game because ' boycotting does not work because of whales'. Not realising that they are an important part of the reason why it doesn't work.
    I wasn't referring to you, I was referring to the target audience. :)
    someforumguy

laserit said:
    That's actually one of the most intelligent things
    Likely too much intelligent...
    Iselin
    Gdemami said:
    laserit said:
    English as a second language?
    MadFrenchieIselin

laserit said:
    Iselin said:
    Aeander said:
    Gdemami said:
    Aeander said:
    Want to. Not need to. 
    That's actually one of the most intelligent things I've seen @Gdemami post.

If the gamer/consumer shows a little restraint, these business models will improve.

For these companies it's as easy as taking candy from a baby. Its the consumers fault that things are the way they are.
    Yes... of course.

But I don't see it happening since as we all know and it gets pointed out in every thread, the vast majority neither read forums nor give much a of a shit about anything other than "Oooh! Shiny!"

Years of "free" app store games have already conditioned them to see all of this as normal.

Still, I suppose it is rare for him to acknowledge a well known fact... kudos? :)
    GdemamiShodanas

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

laserit said:
    Gdemami said:
    laserit said:
    English as a second language?
    I think his first language is LOL.
    MadFrenchieNilden

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    why do I think nobody (other than maybe me) will get a warning or bann in this thread?
    SovrathunfilteredJW

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    well at least I know its not personal

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited November 2017
    I invite you all to chill, sit on my lap, and let me sing you a different nagging song. 

Gaming used to unite people from around the globe. We got into broken-ass bug-ridden games on our motherfucking-slow-internet connections and played together, created long-lasting friendships, and made memories. And from where I come from, that meant a lot. 

Now gaming scene has turned into politics. You have to either support something or be against it. God forbid you can't enjoy anything. Many a time I had an opinion about something but I never said it. Because I knew I had to deal with unnecessary debates, and sadly I, myself, am too fucking arrogant to shy away from any fight. So I just moved on. 

You can't like SC, you can't support CoE, you can't play a fucking Star Wars game without the need to defend your humanity! It is just as worse as the other way around. Most people can't handle any criticism when it comes down to what they like. 

Yes I get it, you have to fight the good fight, all the time. But, I might sound super crazy now, that is a personal fucking choice when it comes down to entertainment. No one else has to agree with you, period. And I guarantee you, there more you hassle them, less people would be interested in supporting your cause. 

Believe it or not, this is one of the last places on the web (and not just among gaming sites) that has a forum which actually reminds you of the concept of Forum or Agora from the ancient times--yeah look that shit up--apparently not anymore though. Sadly it has turned into another toxic-community into the everlasting already poisoned ocean of the internet waste, almost!

This is the hippiest crap I have ever written. But it is okay to be the bigger man sometimes and walk away. NOTHING would happen, I double pinky promise. 

I am not taking sides here. I am saying you guys fighting like this, is much worse any goddamned lootboxes. Maybe just need to take a few steps back and look at the whole thing. 

Peace <3
    d_20unfilteredJW
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    I invite you all to chill, sit on my lap, and ...
    erm, have you been following the news lately? I wouldn't be asking anyone to go sitting on any laps ....
    [Deleted User]RosenborgConstantineMerus
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Torval said:
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Aeander said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    I'm going to buy 10 copies just to make the MT whiners cringe. 
    If you want to spend $60+ on a game and $540+ on drink coasters, all the power to you. Go on. Do it. 

Actually, in all seriousness, I will end up buying multiple copies since I have 4 systems in my house. Probably digital though. 
    I bet you have 4 Teslas because you couldn't decide on the color. Yup, you're the typical smart consumer :)

This might help you and the forum pvp squad rant longer...

This game might be right up your alley... sadly though, I think it's buy once play forever with no cash shop:

It's not really my thing with the heavy pvp focus.  But your uncontrollable butthurt here is gold.

Buy once, play forever, like ESO? You sure that Dumbass/Smarty-pants box isn't meant for you too?

You know many years ago on Reddit, they said nerd rage is the funniest rage. And it still is. Grown ups ranting like little children over a game and lashing out at people who buy them. I'm sure you feel particularly self-righteous a bit hypocritical playing games with lootcrates while lashing out at others who play buy games with loot crates. The thing about hypocrisy is, it's always others who have it. Right?
    Sorry to interject, but didn't Iselin purchase the game prior to that whole lootbox thing being introduced?  I believe he did.  If so, what's hypocritical about playing it unless he's purchasing loot crates and such that he's railing against?

That's like saying those folks who smashed their Keurigs in response to their pulling ads during Sean Hannity are making an effective boycott.  They aren't; you don't have to buy Keurig brand cups to use the machine, and it's already paid for.  All smashing is doing is being butthurt enough to cut your own nose off to spite your face.  If they're continuing to buy K-cups and giving additional revenue to Keurig, then they're hypocritical.  Best response for the consumer is to simply continue using the product already paid for and not giving the company any additional revenue.  Win-win.  Same principle applies here.
    Did he or anyone buy anything after? If so, then no forgiveness granted.  Where's the rant post about ZOS selling a house for $125 - $150? The latest Clockwork house is 15K Crowns furnished. ZOS sells packages of 14k crowns ($100) or 21k crowns ($150) or how they have gutted the box purchase by locking standard features behind the sub, or how they've ramped up microtransactions and loot box costs to make paying "just a sub" to buy store items impossible. ZOS/Bethesda/Zeni is as aggressive as EA. They're just less stupid about PR than EA.

The difference between Bethesda/ZOS and EA is that so far the former has slid under the radar. Gamers are lazy and pick the low hanging fruit of EA.

I'm okay with slamming ZOS or EA or the industry for pricing games so high. I'm not okay with taking pot shots at @CrazKanuk for saying he thinks the boycott is silly and he'll buy the game for his household. I just bought COD:WW2 for my son  and anyone who doesn't like it can go fuck themselves.

I think rants and boycotts are mostly silly and pointless and hypocritical. I think if you like this kind of game and don't play because the drooling masses on reddit are in a rage, then you're shorting yourself. But if that's your choice then so be it. If that gives you peace of mind while engaging with the hobby the go for it. But Craz isn't wrong for buying and enjoying it. He's not a problem, an idiot, or a wastrel, as Iselin inferred however "jokingly" he might have meant it.
    No wonder you came up with that preparation H thing so readily. It sure sounds like there was simmering anger there just waiting to explode. Ironic you using the butthurt meme directed at me.

If Craz took offense at my joke why don't you let him tell me? We did go on with a couple of civil follow-up posts after my Tesla joke you know...

Simmer down dude. You'll have a stroke.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited November 2017
    Aeander said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    That'll show em. You'll definitely get in an invite to The Skulls for this.

I know right! It's kind of like boycotting. Video game development costs are getting higher and higher as consumer demands for higher fidelity graphics and better gaming experiences continue to grow. However, if you ask for $100 for the game, people complain (actually, they complained about a $10 hike with the release of the PS4, so it doesn't even need to be $100). So they offset that cost by monetizing the 1%. The 99% who aren't actually going to buy anything, anyway, complain. Sooooooo, the message that is being sent here is what? Oh yeah! They already told us! It's not worth making single player experiences anymore :) 

See, there is an error in logic in not buying the game. First of all, there isn't enough people NOT buying the game to make a difference. Secondly, when half the revenue for the game is coming from microtransactions, 50,000, 100,000, shit 500,000 copies probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans. There are 2 things that make boycotts work. 1) Affect their bottom line. That rarely happens because there is never enough support for the boycott to have an impact. 2) Affect their reputation. Very effective..... unless we're talking about EA, in which case they are already the most hated in the industry, so you can't actually impact them at all with a boycott. From an industry standpoint, this whole microtransaction fight needs to be handled like a civil war, among the community. It needs to be socially unacceptable to do this, to the point that nobody actually wants to buy anything because they will be shunned. That way, you actually make microtransactions less appealing to the 1%, or whatever small percentage, who do actually use them. 
    Yeah, I bet game development costs are getting real fucking high as high quality standard engines become more affordable, manufacturing costs become almost non existent as digital continues to increase its dominance of the market, and offshore tax havens are used to avoid paying taxes.

No one in the industry actually uses this argument. Only corporate shills and fanboys. Want to know why? Because it's patently false. It's a convenient lie to hide behind. 

They release multiple special editions because they want to. They nickel and dime us with microtransactions because they want to. They introduce fucking gambling mechanics because they want to. Want to. Not need to. 

Similar to how you believe these are convenient excuses made up by fan boys, if you took the time to actually look at their financials, you'd understand that without microtransactions, subscriptions, and subscriptions, they would be losing money. That's right! The boxed game doesn't actually make the company money. Could they reduce costs? Probably. However, you also need to remember that companies like EA NEED to market because they are talking to casuals. 

Please! PLEASE.... give me a lesson on industry finances and how things need to run. I'm sure that there are lots of companies eagerly awaiting your guidance! Lol. 

As far as people in the industry not using this argument, I've seen no less than 3 articles about this subject at gamespot, from interviews with people in the industry, in the past month. All support the idea that game costs are rising and they need additional monetization to justify development. 
    unfilteredJW

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    CrazKanuk said:
    Aeander said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:

I know right! It's kind of like boycotting. Video game development costs are getting higher and higher as consumer demands for higher fidelity graphics and better gaming experiences continue to grow. However, if you ask for $100 for the game, people complain (actually, they complained about a $10 hike with the release of the PS4, so it doesn't even need to be $100). So they offset that cost by monetizing the 1%. The 99% who aren't actually going to buy anything, anyway, complain. Sooooooo, the message that is being sent here is what? Oh yeah! They already told us! It's not worth making single player experiences anymore :) 

See, there is an error in logic in not buying the game. First of all, there isn't enough people NOT buying the game to make a difference. Secondly, when half the revenue for the game is coming from microtransactions, 50,000, 100,000, shit 500,000 copies probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans. There are 2 things that make boycotts work. 1) Affect their bottom line. That rarely happens because there is never enough support for the boycott to have an impact. 2) Affect their reputation. Very effective..... unless we're talking about EA, in which case they are already the most hated in the industry, so you can't actually impact them at all with a boycott. From an industry standpoint, this whole microtransaction fight needs to be handled like a civil war, among the community. It needs to be socially unacceptable to do this, to the point that nobody actually wants to buy anything because they will be shunned. That way, you actually make microtransactions less appealing to the 1%, or whatever small percentage, who do actually use them. 
    Yeah, I bet game development costs are getting real fucking high as high quality standard engines become more affordable, manufacturing costs become almost non existent as digital continues to increase its dominance of the market, and offshore tax havens are used to avoid paying taxes.

No one in the industry actually uses this argument. Only corporate shills and fanboys. Want to know why? Because it's patently false. It's a convenient lie to hide behind. 

They release multiple special editions because they want to. They nickel and dime us with microtransactions because they want to. They introduce fucking gambling mechanics because they want to. Want to. Not need to. 

Similar to how you believe these are convenient excuses made up by fan boys, if you took the time to actually look at their financials, you'd understand that without microtransactions, subscriptions, and subscriptions, they would be losing money. That's right! The boxed game doesn't actually make the company money. Could they reduce costs? Probably. However, you also need to remember that companies like EA NEED to market because they are talking to casuals. 

Please! PLEASE.... give me a lesson on industry finances and how things need to run. I'm sure that there are lots of companies eagerly awaiting your guidance! Lol. 

As far as people in the industry not using this argument, I've seen no less than 3 articles about this subject at gamespot, from interviews with people in the industry, in the past month. All support the idea that game costs are rising and they need additional monetization to justify development. 
    Damn Bethesda must have lost their shirts selling that single player game Wolfenstein 2 with no mts.
  • heerobyaheerobya Member UncommonPosts: 465
    MikeB said:
    imageStar Wars: Battlefront II Review – This is the Star Wars Game You’ve Been Looking For - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

Star Wars: Battlefront II is sure to be overshadowed by the controversy surrounding its microtransactions, but beneath the fury lies a game truly worthy of the Star Wars IP.

Read the full story here

Thank you MikeB for a balanced, fair review.

I wasn't worried about the loot box issues, nice to know that (outside of maybe unlocking heroes) it is not disruptive to the game.

I've got nothing else I'm going to be putting time into (game wise) this November, so I plan to spend a LOT of time in my favorite galaxy far, far away.
    [Deleted User]MikeB
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Asheram said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Aeander said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Damn Bethesda must have lost their shirts selling that single player game Wolfenstein 2 with no mts.

Are you saying they haven't? First of all, the scope is much different. Second of all, they haven't even broken 200k sales on steam. You're referencing a game, in jest, stating that the developer must have lost their shirts, but there has been ACTUAL discussion (industry news articles) that Wolfenstein 2 may flop as a high fidelity game like this without multiplayer just doesn't work. 

Maybe you've got some information I've been missing, though. Feel free to send it my way. 
    [Deleted User]unfilteredJW

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Torval said:
    Asheram said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Aeander said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:

I bet we don't see Bethesda make many (or any) more games with that style. The next Elder Scrolls single player game won't be like that. Because even though Wolfenstein is a good game that sold well, it won't perform anywhere near where service titles perform. That's why EA isn't making single player games anymore and focusing on software as a service.

I expect the next major Bethesda title to be monetized a lot more like ESO than Wolfenstein or older Elder Scrolls games. I would expect similar things with Ubisoft and other major publishers. Games will have microtransactions and RMT conversion especially for the multiplayer components. At the very least expect something like Uncharted 4, GTA Online, or Shadow of War. These companies are eyeing MMOs and how they're sold and how much revenue they generate. They want that.
    I would argue that they do not have to change their core framework in any way to accomodate microtransactions. They already have the abortion of an idea that is the creation club, which allows them to effectively outsource microtransactions without lifting a finger other than to provide "quality assurance" (in quotes because the idea of Bethesda having quality standards is laughable at best).
    Gdemami
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Well, it looks like this is officially P2W which means this review is officially Gunk...Gunk with a G Gunk.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    ToCrazKanuk said:
    Asheram said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Aeander said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    CrazKanuk said:

Are you saying they haven't? First of all, the scope is much different. Second of all, they haven't even broken 200k sales on steam. You're referencing a game, in jest, stating that the developer must have lost their shirts, but there has been ACTUAL discussion (industry news articles) that Wolfenstein 2 may flop as a high fidelity game like this without multiplayer just doesn't work. 

Maybe you've got some information I've been missing, though. Feel free to send it my way. 
    I wasn't aware it was flopping sry, but you say it is because it doesn't have mp.
    There you have it folks

AAA Video Games are no longer games. They are now video toys. We'll have some limited addition video action figures coming up real soon. Hurry up and get yours while supplies last.