Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2 - The Gemstore Endgame - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageGuild Wars 2 - The Gemstore Endgame - MMORPG.com

Any online game with a buy to play or free to play business model needs a way to generate profit long in to the game’s life spam. For Guild Wars 2, the Gem Store is the way in which Arenanet gets most of its profit outside of initial sales and expansions. Players can also choose to purchase their items with in game gold, converting them to gems to buy the flashy cosmetics and convenience items that come exclusively from the cash shop.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScellowScellow Member RarePosts: 398
    I find RNG for skins acceptable

I find convenience items for $$ unacceptable
    Sadfist
  • evilkoikoievilkoikoi Member UncommonPosts: 3
    GW2 has been very generous with their monetization. I personally find it hard to find useful things to buy on the Gemstore. Whenever I can I will find something to buy just to help them out because despite having an excellent game they still make less money than most (crappy, pay to win) MMOs.
    DeadSpockAeanderZandog
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

GW2 has been very generous with their monetization. I personally find it hard to find useful things to buy on the Gemstore. Whenever I can I will find something to buy just to help them out because despite having an excellent game they still make less money than most (crappy, pay to win) MMOs.

Kind of curious, which pay 2 win MMOs are you referring to? I think that definition has lost its meaning a little bit with all the SW BF 2 garbage ;P
  • ScottJeslisScottJeslis Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I buy outfits I like and convenience items, e.g. mining pick axes, inventory slots
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I did not mind the GW2 store because I felt the value of free updates was high. The progression was also not tied to the store in any way - if you did not want to think about it, you didn't have to.

My least favorite thing is content obtainable both in-game and through a store. The ability to buy in-game currency for real money is equivalent to this. I know why they are doing it - the black market for in-game currency is a huge business, so I'd rather have the money go to the devs. Personally, it just sucks to play for a month, working towards getting an awesome item (like ascended armor) and then knowing your month's work is comparable to 10$.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    edited November 2017
    Guild Wars 2's goals are what you make of them. Want gem store skins? Go for it. Want legendaries? Go for it. Want to gear up and raid for the most prestigious skins? Go for it.

There is a gemstore endgame, but only as part of an open ended endgame. That's the beauty of it. Do what you want because you want to. 

I'm very much a fashion wars player. I make alts upon alts just to define each with a new look and a different build. I treat each as a specific, limited character and I put a lot of effort into the look of each. That means that I don't buy outfits and spend more time seeking out specific skins than anything. I enjoy that. 

Hell, right now, my endgame goal is to obtain The Shining Blade for my Weaver. The gen store doesn't even rate as an endgame goal in comparison to that.
    QSatubotrytis
  • makevalimakevali Member UncommonPosts: 48
    Not to mention that they claimed they would not charge players for expansions as stated by popular MMORPG Youtuber scionstorm. Anet is putting too much effort into their item mall and making items look way better than regular in game items, furthermore they didn't even come out with a single non item mall glider skin and they won't for mounts either if the past gives any indication. Can't wait for a new MMORPG cause Anet is being trash lately.
    QSatu

makevali said:

Not to mention that they claimed they would not charge players for expansions as stated by popular MMORPG Youtuber scionstorm. Anet is putting too much effort into their item mall and making items look way better than regular in game items, furthermore they didn't even come out with a single non item mall glider skin and they won't for mounts either if the past gives any indication. Can't wait for a new MMORPG cause Anet is being trash lately.

Wait, what? Where did they state that they would not charge for expansions? Source?
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Celcius said:

makevali said:

Wait, what? Where did they state that they would not charge for expansions? Source?
    That is both outdated and mis-stated.

The original plan in 2012 was to not have paid expansions at all, but rather to update the game every 2 weeks with free content. That flat out failed to stick, as the breakneck pace resulted in inconsistent, typically poor update quality and a lack of polish. The game bled players and community opinion was becoming increasingly pessimistic.

This then evolved into bigger, less frequent free updates and paid expansions. The game is better for this, as the quality bar has gone up and the game has a clear direction going forward. Seriously, I am glad for expansions.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I don't have any problems with selling random skins in the gemshop but i do have a problem when gemstore skins outshines legendary skins.

Letting people buy good looking skins is no problem whatsoever as long as the hardest to get in the game is in another class because they should be. Getting legendary stuff in GW2 is an immense work after all. Paying 800 gems or whatever isn't.

Aeander said:

Celcius said:

makevali said:

That is both outdated and mis-stated.

The original plan in 2012 was to not have paid expansions at all, but rather to update the game every 2 weeks with free content. That flat out failed to stick, as the breakneck pace resulted in inconsistent, typically poor update quality and a lack of polish. The game bled players and community opinion was becoming increasingly pessimistic.

This then evolved into bigger, less frequent free updates and paid expansions. The game is better for this, as the quality bar has gone up and the game has a clear direction going forward. Seriously, I am glad for expansions.

To be fair though was Strains original plan when he revealed the game to have paid expansions or campaigns just like GW1 and that was even earlier. They are actually closer to his original concept now then they were at launch.

And yes, season 1 of living story was generally not very good at all, there were a couple of exceptions but not enough of them.
    Sadfist
    Ok that's what I figured.
  • HMackenzieHMackenzie Member UncommonPosts: 11
    I buy outfits so far. I just came back to the game and I am considering picking up HOT and then POF.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017
    I buy outfits so far. I just came back to the game and I am considering picking up HOT and then POF.
    Get PoF first. Seriously, having a mount in the original zones is just superb.

...unless you want to play the main story content in order of course.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Meh. The thing is they release a great skin the only problem is it's for a mount that not everyone has or wants. I could care less about that one to me the Raptor is way better for movement yet they didn't release skins for all of the types of mounts of that quality at once in the store. Then look at the price, in order to get 2k gems you have to spend $35 that's ridiculous.