Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: Battlefront II Review – This is the Star Wars Game You’ve Been Looking For - Not So MMO -

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Wars: Battlefront II Review – This is the Star Wars Game You’ve Been Looking For - Not So MMO - MMORPG.com

Star Wars: Battlefront II is sure to be overshadowed by the controversy surrounding its microtransactions, but beneath the fury lies a game truly worthy of the Star Wars IP.

Read the full story here

DeeweheerobyaOzmodan

Comments

• M.D.33M.D.33 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited November 2017
    This is a 3.0 max, one point for Star Wars, Graphic and Sound. Microtransactions tied into progression in a +60$ priced game, paying for heroes 75% reduction doesnt matter, its not tolerable.
    RexKushmanGdemamizanfireApridiseCogohiAlverantPhixion13ZenerenZandogNilden
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited November 2017
    MadFrenchieGdemamilaseritIselinCoolitbartoni33

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2017
    SBFord said:
    Ver interesting read.  Curious to see where the future heads.  As someone who dislikes microtransactions, I hope we'll see you guys start dedicating whole sections to the economy of games, much as you would graphics or replayability.  If we're going to see it as a rule, I agree it should he reflected in the review score as a rule.
    GdemamiSamhaelDaranarbartoni33Alomar

• M.D.33M.D.33 Member UncommonPosts: 47

SBFord said:

Its indded, so what can you make, one score for the game and developer work and one for the publisher and business model? The problem is, the developers must build games with microtransactions in mind, the gameplay is tied to microtransactions and this would influence the first score.
    [Deleted User]zanfireGdemami
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Kind a puts a shit stain on the whole Star Wars thing.

IMHO
    BeyornSamhaelPhixion13

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 802
    I was actually going to pre-order this game yesterday. Fuck that. The article that @SBFord linked is spot on. This is the future of gaming and it's one nobody wants. It's actually quite disgusting that these practices are becoming the norm.
    Viper482zanfireGdemamiAlomarPhixion13ZenerenUzur9Nilden
    I like to complain about games.
  • MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    will not buy due to MT soley
    BeyornzanfireSamhaelDeeweAlomarPhixion13AshikuroNilden
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    It really sucks.. I like Star Wars but MORE importantly, it was couch-co-op.  You know how rare that is anymore?  Sucks.  Maybe I'll buy it used somewhere a couple of months from now or something. (or not at all)
    BillMurphy
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    No way I’ll buy such an mt heavy game.
    Phixion13
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    edited November 2017
    As long as games get point deductions and are negatively impacted by reviews as a result of bad monetization practices we will eventually have better ones. The metacritic score is lame, but this is a weird silver lining to this situation. If BF2 does poorly, we likely won't see many big games try to use P2W elements in such a deliberate way in the future. It is important to consider the cost of a game when evaluating it, this is no longer an option for a good review. You can't just be like, well the game is p2w but it is AMAZING!! 9/10
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Image result for star wars nope gif
    bartoni33CogohiStjerneoddPhixion13Uzur9Cazriel

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Image result for star wars nope gif
    bartoni33Cogohid_20Uzur9Cazriel

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Thx for the info, will skip it the game
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    Doesnt matter how much you love Stars Wars or think the game will be fun YOU MUST NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. The only way you can put a stop to this crap is to nip it in the bud immediately and kill their revenue on games pushing this MT crap.

If you buy it you are reinforcing their greed and you will doom yourself for ever just like we have seen the "early access" cancer take over the entire industry.

Speak with your money they will get the message do not purchase these types of games and they will remove the MT/cashshop scams.

BTW sorry the developers/artists/animators/story people DO NOT GET TO WASH THEIRS HANDS of this they have a voice they chose to participate in creating this cancer, and they push the cost up on these products development with their own personal greed of commanding big salaries, all under the expectation YOU the game fans will suck it up and shovel them your money.
    RexKushmanLasterbaPhixion13Saxx0nZenerenGobstopper3D
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Good write up.

I upgraded my preoreder to the Deluxe Edition earlier today, looking forward to playing it tomorrow.
    MikeBKooturMoxom914[Deleted User]Viper482AlomarStjerneoddPhixion13

edited November 2017

mmrv said:

Doesnt matter how much you love Stars Wars or think the game will be fun YOU MUST NOT BUY THIS PRODUCT. The only way you can put a stop to this crap is to nip it in the bud immediately and kill their revenue on games pushing this MT crap.

If you buy it you are reinforcing their greed and you will doom yourself for ever just like we have seen the "early access" cancer take over the entire industry.

Speak with your money they will get the message do not purchase these types of games and they will remove the MT/cashshop scams.

BTW sorry the developers/artists/animators/story people DO NOT GET TO WASH THEIRS HANDS of this they have a voice they chose to participate in creating this cancer, and they push the cost up on these products development with their own personal greed of commanding big salaries, all under the expectation YOU the game fans will suck it up and shovel them your money.

LMAO at this... you don't get to tell me what to spend money on.
    Post edited by RexKushman on
    KooturMoxom914meddyckHuntrezz[Deleted User]StjerneoddPhixion13

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Good write up.

I upgraded my preoreder to the Deluxe Edition earlier today, looking forward to playing it tomorrow.
    Once again, "the Empire" wins.

RexKushmanMoxom914HuntrezzCogohiViper482Saxx0nCazriel

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:

Good write up.

Once again, "the Empire" wins.

It was the cookies man.... they're frikin delicious.
    bartoni33KyleranStjerneodd

• ApridiseApridise Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Will any of the items in the lockboxes actually make you more powerful in the game or are they just cosmetic?
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512
    I love Star Wars but hated the first Battlefront. I have been playing the 10 hour trial for BF2 and Im on the fence. I am really terrible at the game and not sure if the frustration is worth it. Something does not jive with me in these games with the shooting mechanics. I can blast away on someone they dont die then they pew-pew I am dead in the blink of an eye.

I dont mind the micro transactions and it is not that hard to earn credits. I am about 4 hours into the trial and almost have $15000. You get over 200 credits per match so its not that difficult to unlock stuff. I do not mind working towards unlocks if they are reasonable. Of course people can blow a bunch of money and get whatever, but thats how it goes. Anyone buying this game more than likely will spend a lot of time on it so the unlocks will come in no time.
    RexKushmanHuntrezzPhixion13
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

jitter77 said:

I love Star Wars but hated the first Battlefront. I have been playing the 10 hour trial for BF2 and Im on the fence. I am really terrible at the game and not sure if the frustration is worth it. Something does not jive with me in these games with the shooting mechanics. I can blast away on someone they dont die then they pew-pew I am dead in the blink of an eye.

I dont mind the micro transactions and it is not that hard to earn credits. I am about 4 hours into the trial and almost have $15000. You get over 200 credits per match so its not that difficult to unlock stuff. I do not mind working towards unlocks if they are reasonable. Of course people can blow a bunch of money and get whatever, but thats how it goes. Anyone buying this game more than likely will spend a lot of time on it so the unlocks will come in no time.

Have you tried Starfighter Assault? It's crazy fun.
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    playing maps over and over is BORING!
  • EsherdonEsherdon Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I will be passing on this one due to the micro transactions, I already passed on Shadow of War due to the loot boxes.

The only game that I have ever played that seemed to do micro transactions right was Path of Exile.
    bartoni33Cazriel

"Onward to adventure".

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    hm, kinda doubt it is.
    my star wars game has those maps on ONE big map, not several small ones :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    I got to play the trial and saw how bad the MT's are. The loot box progression is horrific and a major core mechanic. I will not be buying this game.