Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Battlefront II Blog Reveals 75% Reduction in Top Hero Credit Costs - MMORPG.com News

2»

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Aeander said:
    kaz350 said:
    Its sad to see players still yelling "STILL NOT BUYING IT"

You spoke, they listened. Whats the problem? This is why its hard to take player feedback, even if you adjust for the complaints people still spit at you lol.
    Because we shouldn't be rewarding a publisher for implementing systems that they knew from the start were consumer unfriendly and dialing them back to make them slightly less consumer unfriendly?

I mean great. It's an improvement. But any way you look at it, even with the improvements, Battlefront II is still a massive foam middle finger to the consumer and we shouldn't let them shove it up our ass just because they've lubricated it.
    I don't think folks are fawning over EA right now, but if anyone thought they would drop microtransactions completely, they were living a fantasy.  The Star Wars IP and EA's marketing budget were never going to allow consumers to force such a drastic change at this time in the industry.

It doesn't mean we can't applaud the fact that consumers made their voices heard.  The backlash today and forcing EA to throttle back is a start.  Specifically when it's forcing one of the largest publishers in the industry to do so.  It's no easy feat for a bunch of unconnected private consumers to cooperatively pressure such a large corporate entity into significantly altering it's planned business model in such a way.  Had this been a relatively smaller company, such as CD Projekt Red (strictly as an example), it likely would've been possible to effect an even more significant change.  EA can afford to take a loss here and stay afloat; CDPR would've likely folded had Witcher 3 been an utter disaster of a release.

Their size and ability to absorb such a loss blunts the effect, but it still sends a message to have had an effect on such an entity at all.  If consumers keep making a collective push back against predatory monetization schemes, more events like this will occur for the better.

Gdemami

• ThupliThupli Member RarePosts: 1,318

SBFord said:

It's good to see that they've responded to the furor. Maybe that $80 cancellation I made mattered after all. :) I won't say I'll never buy it. I probably will. However, I'll wait and watch from the sidelines for the time being.

Regardless, it's still sort of a face-palming thought that the hero unlock prices were so high to begin with. You sort of want to say, "What were you THINKING?"

Could not agree more.

" hey guys we just 'happened' to have the prices 75% too high. And we realized that people were really angry. Please play our game still, and don't boycott buying things in-game!"
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited November 2017
    According to Game Informer they also changed the number of credits you get for completing the SP campaign to 5000 down from 20000. No one seems to know yet if other rewards were also reduced.

For instance, during my review, completing the campaign earned players a unique loot crate that contained 20,000 credits. That reward is now 5,000 credits. A big change. What else is different? I need to find out. One thing I hope EA is addressing is Arcade rewards; after completing five challenges, I was alerted that I could no longer earn credits in this mode and that more would be available in 14 hours.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/11/13/wheres-our-star-wars-battlefront-ii-review.aspx?utm_content=buffer3929d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
    MadFrenchieKumaponByrgenarHofen
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited November 2017
    Iselin said:
    According to Game Informer they also changed the number of credits you get for completing the SP campaign to 5000 down from 20000. No one seems to know yet if other rewards were also reduced.

For instance, during my review, completing the campaign earned players a unique loot crate that contained 20,000 credits. That reward is now 5,000 credits. A big change. What else is different? I need to find out. One thing I hope EA is addressing is Arcade rewards; after completing five challenges, I was alerted that I could no longer earn credits in this mode and that more would be available in 14 hours.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2017/11/13/wheres-our-star-wars-battlefront-ii-review.aspx?utm_content=buffer3929d&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer
    Hopefully this isn't something that has been changed throughout the game..  I would say surely EA isn't that deceptive, but....

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,548
    Iselin said:

ByrgenarHofen
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Apparently they time-gate your credit earnings. This guy was getting credits in arcade mode and got a message saying he had to wait 3 hours to earn more credits https://clips.twitch.tv/AdorableTenderCrowLitFam
    MadFrenchie
    Forgrimm said:
    Apparently they time-gate your credit earnings. This guy was getting credits in arcade mode and got a message saying he had to wait 3 hours to earn more credits https://clips.twitch.tv/AdorableTenderCrowLitFam
    They went straight up mobile gaming with it??  Say it ain't so, Joe!  :*

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Forgrimm said:
    Yup. That was already mentioned in the Game Informer article I linked above except in his case it was a 14 hour wait lol... this just keeps getting better and better,
    MadFrenchie
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED