Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars Battlefront II Blog Reveals 75% Reduction in Top Hero Credit Costs - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited November 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Wars Battlefront II Blog Reveals 75% Reduction in Top Hero Credit Costs - MMORPG.com News

Star Wars Battlefront II Executive Producer John Wasilczyk has posted a new blog to address concerns raised earlier today about what many players felt were exorbitant prices to unlock top heroes. As a recap, each hero was priced at 60,000 credits, currency earned at about 50 Credits per match. In response to the outpouring of frustration by the community (and netting EA the "most downvoted Reddit post ever" honor), prices to unlock heroes have been reduced by 75%.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130
    Its sad to see players still yelling "STILL NOT BUYING IT"

You spoke, they listened. Whats the problem? This is why its hard to take player feedback, even if you adjust for the complaints people still spit at you lol.
    poobin420RexKushmanexile01
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    It's good to see that they've responded to the furor. Maybe that $80 cancellation I made mattered after all. :) I won't say I'll never buy it. I probably will. However, I'll wait and watch from the sidelines for the time being.

Regardless, it's still sort of a face-palming thought that the hero unlock prices were so high to begin with. You sort of want to say, "What were you THINKING?"
    ByrgenarHofen[Deleted User][Deleted User]AlomarBeyornKooturConstantineMerusinfomatzAvarixCoolit

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    And some people said complaining about it would change nothing.....
    SBFordOctagon7711AlomarAsm0deus
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Incoming butthurt from a certain poster regarding how this does nothing to disprove his "facts" that developers don't care about "whiny" gamers on the internet.
    SBFordcmacqAlomarCecropia

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    The idiots still buying a microtransaction based, full-priced game is the problem. Enough is enough. They may have "backed off" but they didn't back off because of gamers. They backed off because their stocks dropped on Wall Street.
    Gdemamid_20Asm0deusBeyornzanfireinfomatz
  • HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993

kaz350 said:

You spoke, they listened. Whats the problem? This is why its hard to take player feedback, even if you adjust for the complaints people still spit at you lol.

The underlying problem was you can pay to skip the grind. People would have been okay with the time if irl money wasn't a factor. To me and maybe most, this was the main problem, not the actual time.

Agree, shows we do have voice and hope other companies see this, but still disappointed they didn't just change the lootbox
    SBFordGdemamizanfireByrgenarHofen
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited November 2017
    A better result for everyone but I still think it's kind of steep. You've got to think.. there's other things you want to unlock as well. 60,000 to unlock all the heroes, more than that to unlock all the weapons... and then there's all the ships... and all the battle droids.. and you want to be buying crates with this currency. Yet, there will still be people running around smashing your face in with Luke's lightsaber within the first hour.

Still, it's in a better place than Planetside 2 now. Man, that game is the worst grind ever even after you've subscribed to get double points.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Ikeda said:
    The idiots still buying a microtransaction based, full-priced game is the problem. Enough is enough. They may have "backed off" but they didn't back off because of gamers. They backed off because their stocks dropped on Wall Street.
    That drop wasn't outta nowhere.

You're basically saying "they didn't back off because of gamer backlash, they backed off because of what the gamer backlash was doing to their bottom line."

Well, yea.  That's the only power consumers really have to force a producer's hand.

And yes, there are still microtransactions..  But I doubt anyone expected them to drop those completely, specifically not if EA plans on providing free DLC.  Contrary to popular belief, most consumers are incredibly understanding of a producer's need to make money, almost to a fault.  Most don't want everything for free; they just want everything at a fair price.  The trend has been heading outta the realm of "fair" and into the realm of "blatant wallet-squeezing" for a long time now.
    GdemamiSBFordCecropiaByrgenarHofen

• M.D.33M.D.33 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    edited November 2017

kaz350 said:

EA is cancer for gaming in general, I say still "Stop buying 60$ games with lootboxes, they arent good for us, they are only for the CEO's. We dont need publishers like EA, they arent making good games, DICE, Bioware and a lot of others were better without EA as a publisher.
    GdemamiAeanderBeyorn
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306
    A friend of mine once said "Gas prices will get so high that we'll eventually appreciate 2$ gas.".
    Same principle applies here.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

BTW, @SBFord, I appreciate you giving your honest opinion on here about the issue ref. your pre-order and feelings on the system.  Really snuffs the whole "you guys are just paid shills" dribble that we see surface here periodically.

I think it's very important you guys help illuminate the general gaming pulse to developers in instances like these.  The Reddit debacle surely helped, but without you guys (and other outlets) pinging it around the internet search engines via articles, it likely would've went unheard by EA.  Publishers depend on you folks to spread the hype, but we also depend on you folks to cut through the hype and give us an honest assessment of the landscape.

Take a +1, for what it's worth, from me on this one! 
    SBFordGdemamiByrgenarHofenAvarix

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757
    A friend of mine once said "Gas prices will get so high that we'll eventually appreciate 2$ gas.".
    Same principle applies here.
    Heh, gas got so high here a few years back that we appreciate $3+ gas. It was close to $5 and was over that in some places.
  • M.D.33M.D.33 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    I wonder how the stockholders would react to being told that there would be no future dividends, but that they should be filled with a sense of pride and accomplishment for owning such a successful company. :)
    Gorwe said:

M.D.33 said:

kaz350 said:

EA is cancer for gaming in general, I say still "Stop buying 60$ games with lootboxes, they arent good for us, they are only for the CEO's. We dont need publishers like EA, they arent making good games, DICE, Bioware and a lot of others were better without EA as a publisher.

You take your pick:

2010 era graphics + supreme gameplay(think Grim Dawn)
    vs
    2016 era graphics + meh gameplay(Front 2)

You can't do the second without EA and people don't really want the former. See the catch?
    Well, some don't.  I enjoy Grim Dawn, and D:OS2, PoE...  But those are really different genres.  FPSs are in a weird spot due to their relative popularity on consoles.  Console gamers are generally less forgiving about graphical fidelity, so the indie scene is much less popular relative to PC.
    GdemamiAvarix

• LastlaughlolLastlaughlol Member UncommonPosts: 144

kaz350 said:

No the problem is they should've never put these anti consumer greedy tactics in first place.

Them not making money teaches them a lesson, you buying it after the change just shows that they can push you until you bitch. Were buying a product here, Im not here to bitch and moan on forums cause they are greedy.
    d_20Gdemami
  • kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130

Herase said:

kaz350 said:

The underlying problem was you can pay to skip the grind. People would have been okay with the time if irl money wasn't a factor. To me and maybe most, this was the main problem, not the actual time.

Agree, shows we do have voice and hope other companies see this, but still disappointed they didn't just change the lootbox

Is that an underlying problem though? Think about it another way, if I buy the game for X-mas pretty much everyone I queue versus will have more powerful cards. If someone out there with disposable income wants to pay money to skip the part of the grind where they are weaker than everyone whats the issue? Isnt really much different than paying for a level boost in a MMO.
  • KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137

Gorwe said:

M.D.33 said:

kaz350 said:

You take your pick:

2010 era graphics + supreme gameplay(think Grim Dawn)

vs

2016 era graphics + meh gameplay(Front 2)

You can't do the second without EA and people don't really want the former. See the catch?

Grim dawn is great, what are you on about?
    BeyornMadFrenchieAvarix
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    edited November 2017
    It's their original intention that matters. Why would anyone support that? It's like the abused person going back into the relationship after the abuser says, "Ok, I've learned and I'll be good this time."

You know they will get you later and people will be outraged again. Just look at people who still play ArcheAge. 

But whatever. Have fun with your lightsabers. 
    GdemamiTacticalZombehAeanderzanfireBruceYeeinfomatzByrgenarHofen

d_20 said:
    It's their original intention that matters. Why would anyone support that? It's like the abused person going back into the relationship after the abuser says, "Ok, I've learned and I'll be good this time."

At this point, the demise if microtransactions won't be the result of a revolution, so to speak, but one of attrition.

By that, I mean that it won't go away over a round of backlash against a single title, but by a general relegation to irrelevancy by the general gaming public, much like subscriptions.
    Gdemamipoobin420

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    d_20 said:

You know they will get you later and people will be outraged again. Just look at people who still play ArcheAge. 

Oh please.
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,812
    edited November 2017
    kaz350 said:

Because we shouldn't be rewarding a publisher for implementing systems that they knew from the start were consumer unfriendly and dialing them back to make them slightly less consumer unfriendly?

I mean great. It's an improvement. But any way you look at it, even with the improvements, Battlefront II is still a massive foam middle finger to the consumer and we shouldn't let them shove it up our ass just because they've lubricated it.
    Gdemami
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I'm so happy that I was able to break out of this "I gotta buy this title when it first comes out" cycle. I mean, it wasn't so bad about 10 years ago since there were less titles coming, there weren't really timed exclusives/game influencing pre-order bonuses (pre-orders used to just be vanity specific stuff), and the titles were more often good than bad and actually complete. Now, you're pretty much paying companies for a 50% finished title at full price. So I dont mind waiting a year or 2 for the game to be half price that includes all the "extras" in that price and the poo-poo storm to blow over. I hope those that buy it day one have fun though since I think that's where both companies and costumers seem to be caring less about each year.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,812
    I think the best approach to bad business practices like these are to buy the game used. You get to play the game without the guilt, the publisher doesn't see a penny from the transaction, and Gamestop lives just that little bit longer to continue to bite publishers in the ass. 

I rarely buy used games anymore. I like supporting the developers of my favorite series'. I would prefer that the developers see the money than some middle-man. But sometimes, they just don't deserve to be rewarded. Battlefront II is still one of those cases.
    Thupli
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,809
    edited November 2017

Aeander said:

kaz350 said:

Because we shouldn't be rewarding a publisher for implementing systems that they knew from the start were consumer unfriendly and dialing them back to make them slightly less consumer unfriendly?

I mean great. It's an improvement. But any way you look at it, even with the improvements, Battlefront II is still a massive foam middle finger to the consumer and we shouldn't let them shove it up our ass just because they've lubricated it.

The publishers do it because it works. Every single time.

The publisher puts in a system that is very consumer unfriendly, the people complain, the publisher makes the system less consumer unfriendly but still unfriendly, the people rejoice that the publisher is "listening".

Its a song and dance we've seen dozens of times before but people still fall for it. Every single time.

EA knows what it is doing. They know how to manipulate people and they how to manipulate people into thinking that they are manipulating EA.
    Gdemami
  • zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    A 70% reduction or not this game is designed like a F2P mobile game that is still very much Pay 2 Win. It's one of the worst example of MT's and lootboxes invading full priced AAA games and the sh*t needs to stop.

It took them having 10 fold the most disliked post on reddit history to make a small change that still leaves it a p2w disaster.

Don't buy their crap folks, send a message.
    KooturGdemami