Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blizzard Wins German Lawsuit Against Bot Maker - World of Warcraft News

2»

Comments

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    centkin said:
    If a game is so simple that one can "ruin it with bots" then the problem is with the game itself.  So long as the game isn't spoonfeeding information a player doesn't have to bots (again a problem with the game), bots should be at a significant disadvantage.  And yes I have seen some pretty stupid bot situations in games.

Thing is though, while a game company can, if it likes, TOS deny people who use bots, (and I am someone who came from Asheron's call, so I remember running tradebots(which were pretty neat actually how it could do points for various things and trade all sorts of stuff you didn't want for things you did), and using macros to craft items rather than clicking a billion times) -- simple things that a lot of the game companies today would ban you for where it was more adding a feature a game lacked or for sparing your carpal tunnels.

See, at least in my opinion, a bot should be banned for "Being a jerk" not for solely existing.  Bot makes a bunch of arrows overnight then logs itself off -- fine.  Bot buffs people for coin -- fine.  Even if a bot hunts in an instance or far away from people, leaving tagged monsters alone -- it doesn't bother me.  It is when it is a jerk, not pulling its weight in a PvP/RvR situation and leaching points, stealing kills, monopolizing quests, spamming chats, etc where the line is drawn, but such antisocial behavior should be punished whether the perpetrator is a bot or a live player -- the bot simply has a harder time defending itself.

The above takes things one step further -- if it becomes illegal to design an improved interface to a program, then there is a problem.  If it isn't copyright infringing, or stealing code, or actively seeking to destroy the program, etc, then why should it be actively illegal?  Now if the program, if used as designed, can only be used in a manner where the bot is a jerk then yeah there is an issue, but if it only potentially enables jerks then the problem is with the user of the program not the program itself.  Of course decal for asheron's call did try to make it harder for people to make jerk programs under it.  This is a good thing, but something like say actool is a tool, nothing more.  How it is used is a function of the person using it, at the tool itself isn't a problem in my eyes.
    Lol, It's not the rapist, but the victims fault.  She shouldn't have been out alone and looking fine!!!  Seriously, you're blaming the company for people cheating.

I self identify as a monkey.

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    I chuckled @ "Bossland told its customers that money is tight as a result of long legal battles and that "lifetime keys" for bots have been revoked and changed to a 2-year license."

Feels like it's time the international community starts behaving in a cohesive way when it comes to online "stuff". As it stands now, I apologize if I'm wrong, the ruling of the german court works just if the company is in Germany. They move to the next country and the game starts again.
  • Syphin_BSyphin_B Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Well DMKano, it was a HUGE change my friend
  • ByrgenarHofenByrgenarHofen Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Renoaku said:
    Honestly Honor buddy, or the developers of this bot could be in more legal trouble now, they sold people a (Life Time License.) And now terminated that license and changed it to 2 years, meaning they should (Refund) the people who purchased the product which was supposed to be a life time license (Obviously I don't use bots) so I am not involved in this but its stupid that cheat developers are able to get away with this................... Also I wish there were laws that would prevent cheaters from ever cheating online games such as (Jail Time) ( Restriction from using any computer, or Cellphone Device) for X Amount of years, and such would prevent cheating U.S Should adapt strict laws instead of being so care-bear to make everything a civil suit and crimes or cheating online games would be a lot less............ Not to mention if game companies actually made Guilds more Social and people were no longer allowed to hide behind anonymity as well as Guild Leaders not just being able to betray and back-stab people meaning each user who contributes to a guild holds a share, only so many games do this like EVE Online where a players rep stays with them forever would be great to have more game companies doing such too as its been an issue in a few MMO's.
    says the poster who was banned from a certain game for cheating, or is buying gold not cheating according to you?
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Good for them.  It might only be a small cut, but if we can get a thousand more, we can hurt these ppl.

I self identify as a monkey.

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    Quoting:  "They tried to claim several times that every part of their software's code on your DVD, harddrive or even the parts loaded in your PC's ram are copyright protected just because Blizzard's own TOS state so."

Yes, it's copyrighted.  This is why it's illegal to pirate software.  You can't invalidate a company's copyright simply because the code is on a removable media drive, or even your own hard drive.

When you load an application into memory, it isn't any different than the executable you launched.  I'm not sure what your issue there is.

There are issues regarding this case, but a lot of the stuff you're complaining aren't those issues.

You can't do anything with Blizzard's software simply because you installed it, especially when you're using the tampered version to connect to their online service and degrade the service quality - potentially costing them subscribers/revenue.

There are actual damages here, and sometimes you have to put aside your F/OSS'esque ideological rambling to calculate and deal with them.
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Old, article is old.
    [Deleted User]
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited November 2017
    "They said money is tight as a result of long legal battles and that "lifetime keys" for bots have been revoked and changed to a 2-year license."

...they can do that?

Leave it to a bot maker to not honor what should be a binding legal agreement just because "money is tight"
    [Deleted User]
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Go Blizz Go ....GJ
    [Deleted User]
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Robokapp said:

Raquis said:

I hope in my life time WOW goes free to play or just dies and blizzard makes a new mmo!
    but the fan boys will keep this old average game going and pay like idiots every month their sub.

you should see what below-average looks like.

I think @Raquis already knows what below-average looks like. You read his post, yes?

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Good for them,good job,but maybe do a better job of preventing before hand next time.
    I mean just start up another bot,create a new bot,Blizzard seems to rather spend tons on lawyers than get their game in order.
    Players have been cheating in Wow since Justin TV was popular.
    The obvious problem is that actions need to be fast/fluent,can't put a check on every action so automation wil remain until Blizzard can figure it out.
    Nepheth

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Wizardry said:
    Good for them,good job,but maybe do a better job of preventing before hand next time.
    I mean just start up another bot,create a new bot,Blizzard seems to rather spend tons on lawyers than get their game in order.
    Players have been cheating in Wow since Justin TV was popular.
    The obvious problem is that actions need to be fast/fluent,can't put a check on every action so automation wil remain until Blizzard can figure it out.

No company is ever going to figure out a good way to get rid of bots. 
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Raquis said:
    I hope in my life time WOW goes free to play or just dies and blizzard makes a new mmo!
    but the fan boys will keep this old average game going and pay like idiots every month their sub.

WTF does this have to do with the subject post?  Anyway, fuck those botters.
    [Deleted User]Dakeru
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    It is a good thing but I can't stop to think that when people are willing to pay for something like this there is a problem with the game itself.

You shouldn't need to bot since playing should be fun in itself, too many boring timesinks is the real problem here. Sure, there will always be some lazy people but botting have become a huge problem in many MMOs and I think improving the gameplay would reduce the problem a lot.

And yes, Wow is hardly the only game with that problem.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    edited November 2017
    Wizardry said:
    I don't know weather to laugh or cry.

I don't like bots period,they ruin games ,however i can only imagine having played every single major Blizzard game,that if they put the same effort as they did into 12 lawsuits,i would actually enjoy their games.

Here is the lame part that proves how lame Blizzard is....

Ok so they went after the bots why?Players have been botting in Wow since the first year and i am quite certain they know it full well,since they were streaming on Justin TV for years.Can any of the botters come forward and tell us Blizzard has banned any player for botting?

I know we had tons of people crying in forums a couple years back when there was either rampant keyloggers stealing accounts or Blizzard itself was hacked and kept it hush hush because it all happened over a short period of time  and nothing since then.

Yes, just because you don't know about it doesn't mean it hasn't happened.  See MDY Industries, LLC v. Blizzard Entertainment, Inc.  The fight is long, difficult, and on going.  Can I give you a count of the number of players banned?  No.  Will you hear ever time it happens?  No.

@Volgore, the cases you are trying to imagine about already occurred back in the 70's, and 80's.  It has been too late to worry about them today, for a long time.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    So why did Blizzard win the Lawsuit is it because of "Damages Caused by the bots", or because of the bot makers actually using "Intellectual Property" from Blizzard to make the bots?

I am glad the bots are gone, but it only upsets me when game companies use the "Intellectual Property" lies to try to get cheats removed from the internet even though they should be anyways because court is always about telling the truth for both sides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDY_Industries,_LLC_v._Blizzard_Entertainment,_Inc.

In short I am happy Blizzard is going after cheat developers, but I hope they do it with (The Truth) all the time than trying to throw the Inellectual Property thing at people unless its true.
    Asm0deus
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Loke666 said:
    It is a good thing but I can't stop to think that when people are willing to pay for something like this there is a problem with the game itself.

You shouldn't need to bot since playing should be fun in itself, too many boring timesinks is the real problem here. Sure, there will always be some lazy people but botting have become a huge problem in many MMOs and I think improving the gameplay would reduce the problem a lot.

And yes, Wow is hardly the only game with that problem.
    You can't out-design the combination of laziness and entitlement. No matter how low the requirement bar is set it will always be higher than an automated absence of effort.
    MightyUnclean
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Raquis said:

WTF does this have to do with the subject post?  Anyway, fuck those botters.
    Because opinions are important and everybody wants to hear yours, no matter if it fits the subject matter. /s off

And yes, screw botters.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Renoaku said:
    So why did Blizzard win the Lawsuit is it because of "Damages Caused by the bots", or because of the bot makers actually using "Intellectual Property" from Blizzard to make the bots?

I am glad the bots are gone, but it only upsets me when game companies use the "Intellectual Property" lies to try to get cheats removed from the internet even though they should be anyways because court is always about telling the truth for both sides.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MDY_Industries,_LLC_v._Blizzard_Entertainment,_Inc.

In short I am happy Blizzard is going after cheat developers, but I hope they do it with (The Truth) all the time than trying to throw the Inellectual Property thing at people unless its true.
    Neither, it says they (the bot makers) brake the contracts agreed upon in the End User License Agreement (EULA) & the Terms of Use (TOU).  It's rarely about the IP when it comes to bot.  Those IP "lies" are about reverse engineering (also a breach of contract), and that is not a lie.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.