Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[NCSOFT] 3rd quarter revenues

2»

Comments

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Albatroes said:
    PinoX said:
    IceAge said:
    PinoX said:
    Wait ... GW2 revenue only went up by slightly over 6.5 billion KRW on the quarter of the expansion release compared to previous quarter (q2'17)? that is kind of small?
    A bit of knowledge goes a long way:

Q3 = July, August , September  
    Guild Wars 2: Path of Fire - Release date = September 22, 2017

So basically , Q3 ended when GW2 launched their expansion. 

Q4 sales for GW2 will be at least this big , if not bigger . 
    I know the release date. If the cut off date of the quarter is the end of the month, the figure should have included slightly over 1 week post release date sales and all the preorder.  It's still kind of low.
    Well, as far as I'm aware, GW2 doesn't have any form of sub model so that might be something to take into account. When you have expansion releases with say FFXIV/WoW/or even ESO, the numbers may go up higher in that quarter by "a lot" because subs probably make up 25-33% of the figures. in Q4 you'll probably see a good deal larger revenue due to more time, extra skins, and the good old new loot boxes that people will complain about yet still buy.
    GW2 hardcore model is turning a lot of people off.  They are blending in with all the other games so people are just playing all the other games as GW2 isn't as unique as it once ways, IMO.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• azurreiazurrei Member UncommonPosts: 332
    edited November 2017
    IceAge said:
    PinoX said:
    Wait ... GW2 revenue only went up by slightly over 6.5 billion KRW on the quarter of the expansion release compared to previous quarter (q2'17)? that is kind of small?

You think sales were higher 8+ days AFTER launch? I would imagine the vast majority of expansion and related sales were immediately BEFORE AND the first 7 days after the launch...which would be included in those numbers...sales likely to be down from that number for Q4.  

Maybe they should have launched in Oct instead...Q3 2015 20.6B KW-->Q4 2015 (HoTS expansion launch 10/23/15) 37.3B KW.  So revenues alsmot doubled last expansion...this time it was only 40%.  Also sad to see revenues during an expansion quarter are now roughly equal to a non-expansion quarter from two years ago - ouch.
  • PinoXPinoX Member UncommonPosts: 71
    edited November 2017
    azurrei said:
    IceAge said:
    PinoX said:

You think sales were higher 8+ days AFTER launch? I would imagine the vast majority of expansion and related sales were immediately BEFORE AND the first 7 days after the launch...which would be included in those numbers...sales likely to be down from that number for Q4.  
    If I'm not mistaken, most revenue of new game sales with full steam hype is in the 1st month after release (or 3 month?)+preorders. I can't remember well the time frame, perhaps shorter. I think i heard it from one of the youtube video out there criticizing EA's gag order on Mass Effect Andromeda reviews. EA was maximizing revenue because they knew it was going to be a turd on release.

Phry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Be interesting to see the breakdown of Home Market vs Western sales, which in previous reports had dropped off significantly, even for GW2. I suspect this quarters report will show similar if not worse figures for western revenues. That NCSoft is increasingly reliant on Korean sales/revenue is something that makes me wonder if they (NCSoft) are less likely to push their products beyond the home market. :/
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited November 2017
    Phry said:
    Be interesting to see the breakdown of Home Market vs Western sales, which in previous reports had dropped off significantly, even for GW2. I suspect this quarters report will show similar if not worse figures for western revenues. That NCSoft is increasingly reliant on Korean sales/revenue is something that makes me wonder if they (NCSoft) are less likely to push their products beyond the home market. :/
    They just pushed MXM to west even before korean release and no one cares. they expected to attract western moba (LoL) players but it didn't happen.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    AAAMEOW said:
    Scot said:

Mobile gaming is part of gaming, it is just a different platform. You might as well say PC and consoles are not part of the same market. All gaming platforms effect one another and while the PC is more effected by what happens on consoles rather than smartphones they are all part of the same market.

Notice that NCsoft, one company, is producing the MMOs and the mobile games. Do you think no one sitting on the board of directors has noticed how little the revenue return was for the MMOs considering how much more was invested into them? That is perhaps the main reason AAA MMOs have all but died, it is too risky when they can just produce another mobile game for pennies by comparison. I think the MMOs shown are now more important to them as brand recognition than as revenue streams.

Yes, these types of games were the pioneers of gaming, that's why this is devolution. What are most people now playing in the world? Games we had when we were children.

The western company you see them just give up.  The big names blizzard, CCP stop making mmorpg instead make card game, moba, shooter or whatever.

/Agree

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    azurrei said:
    IceAge said:
    PinoX said:

Maybe they should have launched in Oct instead...Q3 2015 20.6B KW-->Q4 2015 (HoTS expansion launch 10/23/15) 37.3B KW.  So revenues alsmot doubled last expansion...this time it was only 40%.  Also sad to see revenues during an expansion quarter are now roughly equal to a non-expansion quarter from two years ago - ouch.
    Well , you know nothing then, and I won't try to "enlight" you.

One little thing however : HoTs release was in Q4 . Hence, bigger revenues because... Holidays .

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,823
    IceAge said:
    azurrei said:
    IceAge said:
    PinoX said:

Well , you know nothing then, and I won't try to "enlight" you.

One little thing however : HoTs release was in Q4 . Hence, bigger revenues because... Holidays .
    Revenue from HoT was higher because it was the first expansion for GW2 and no one at the time knew how bad it was going to be.
    Also, HoT cost more at launch.

This time you have a lot of people waiting to buy PoF because the awful taste in their mouth from HoT still lingers.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    I'm amazed Wildstar is still running. It's not even listed.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825
    AAAMEOW said:
    Scot said:

Mobile gaming is part of gaming, it is just a different platform. You might as well say PC and consoles are not part of the same market. All gaming platforms effect one another and while the PC is more effected by what happens on consoles rather than smartphones they are all part of the same market.

Notice that NCsoft, one company, is producing the MMOs and the mobile games. Do you think no one sitting on the board of directors has noticed how little the revenue return was for the MMOs considering how much more was invested into them? That is perhaps the main reason AAA MMOs have all but died, it is too risky when they can just produce another mobile game for pennies by comparison. I think the MMOs shown are now more important to them as brand recognition than as revenue streams.

Yes, these types of games were the pioneers of gaming, that's why this is devolution. What are most people now playing in the world? Games we had when we were children.
    You simply can't expect game studios to pump out mmorpg.  There isn't that big of market for it, besides it is too expensive.

The korean company are still pumping out mmorpg, I think there is an advertisement/article on NCSoft upcoming MMO on the front page.

The western company you see them just give up.  The big names blizzard, CCP stop making mmorpg instead make card game, moba, shooter or whatever.
    Gaming companies have always looked to move to a bigger market but the opportunity to do so has only come twice. That move to a larger market has always been at the expense of gamers. The quality of PC games fell as the larger console market came to reign supreme. The quality of PC and console games has fallen since the move to mobile games.

Not in all games, so the top franchises are unaffected for example, but in whole genres like MMOs there has been a huge effect. I should mention that even in the top games dubious revenue practices have been introduced on the back of what companies have got away with in mobile games.

To hear that so many players of Lineage moved to the mobile version when that came out, well that makes me question the future of MMOs and indeed gaming on PC and console. Gaming companies will go where the money is, and mobile is where the money is.

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited November 2017
    Scot said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Scot said:

You simply can't expect game studios to pump out mmorpg.  There isn't that big of market for it, besides it is too expensive.

The korean company are still pumping out mmorpg, I think there is an advertisement/article on NCSoft upcoming MMO on the front page.

Gaming companies have always looked to move to a bigger market but the opportunity to do so has only come twice. That move to a larger market has always been at the expense of gamers. The quality of PC games fell as the larger console market came to reign supreme. The quality of PC and console games has fallen since the move to mobile games.

Not in all games, so the top franchises are unaffected for example, but in whole genres like MMOs there has been a huge effect. I should mention that even in the top games dubious revenue practices have been introduced on the back of what companies have got away with in mobile games.

To hear that so many players of Lineage moved to the mobile version when that came out, well that makes me question the future of MMOs and indeed gaming on PC and console. Gaming companies will go where the money is, and mobile is where the money is.

Lots of them are playing Lineage M on PC via emulation, so they can use the mouse. This version is so good in terms of interface that even on PC people are playing LM instead of L1.

Just type 리니지M on youtube and you'll see a lot os streams playing it on PC.