Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Microsoft getting smart!

SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/microsoft-hints-xbox-one-x-could-final-home-174133742.html

Basically the idea has been talked about by others for years to turn Xbox basically into a service that runs on any device. So the appeal would be to joint  Xbox, not own an Xbox device. I think this is a very good idea.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    I think its a good idea for Microsoft to drop XBox Hardware. They lose money on every one and can alienate some hardware manufacturers they partner with.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2017
    I can see that totally working for them because they own Windows so make both of them just one big software service.

That leaves Sony and Nintendo to reign the console space like they've always done in the past. So basically nothing changes? oh well.

If this really happens, i think we all saw it coming when Microsoft decided to let all(the few of them) Xbox One exclusives to also be played on PC.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I can see that totally working for them because they own Windows so make both of them just one big software service.

That leaves Sony and Nintendo to reign the console space like they've always done in the past. So basically nothing changes? oh well.

I this really happens, i think we all saw it coming when Microsoft decided to let all(the few of them) Xbox One exclusives to also be played on PC.
    Nintendo was a different beast in the past. This would mean the end of console wars and Sony will dominate. Now fans might like their favorite console to rule the market without competition. But in my opinion, competition is always a good thing. Not sure how this would affect the future market. I don't want Sony to be chilling and taking their time in releasing their next gen. I don't know. Hope it would work out for the best! ^^
    rojoArcueid
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2017

I this really happens, i think we all saw it coming when Microsoft decided to let all(the few of them) Xbox One exclusives to also be played on PC.
    Nintendo was a different beast in the past. This would mean the end of console wars and Sony will dominate. Now fans might like their favorite console to rule the market without competition. But in my opinion, competition is always a good thing. Not sure how this would affect the future market. I don't want Sony to be chilling and taking their time in releasing their next gen. I don't know. Hope it would work out for the best! ^^
    You are totally correct on the competition. If MS steps out of the console market i do hope Nintendo step up their game. I love all my platforms including PC, but even though my main gaming platform has always been from Sony, they do make a lot of stupid decisions too. I will always hate(not really hate, but you get the point lol) whoever decided to kill the Vita before it was born with such stupid decisions. That guy should never have a position that high in another company.
    ConstantineMerus

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    Not sure why this is "news" today, Microsoft mentioned they were going to do this at least a couple years back with the Windows 10 release.  Part of the premise when they released details on the Xbox one S and the announcement of scorpio was that they weren't going to do generational consoles anymore and instead push the software so it's available across different devices.

It's been part of the long game for several years and the main reason why they pushed UWP.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Not sure why this is "news" today, Microsoft mentioned they were going to do this at least a couple years back with the Windows 10 release.  Part of the premise when they released details on the Xbox one S and the announcement of scorpio was that they weren't going to do generational consoles anymore and instead push the software so it's available across different devices.

It's been part of the long game for several years and the main reason why they pushed UWP.
    If only UWP was any good, for gaming its not really much cop and objectively worse than games that don't use it, its probably one of the main reasons why Windows Store is not a good place to get games from. That Windows 10 is still not the main Windows OS doesn't help either, that the primary OS used by most Windows users is still Windows 7 is particularly damning, the only thing to date that Windows 10 has actually achieved, is that more people use it than use Windows 8, and is probably the main reason why if developers want to create games for the PC, then its usually Direct X 11 based, assuming its using Direct X at all that is, after all why would any developer create a game using only UWP if barely 1/4 of PC's could even run it? and of those a significant proportion are not even gaming devices. :/
    Mendel
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Nothing will change,console games will still be 1-2 year production or less,SOE will still find some small increment to warrant a new console sale"their claims of losing money are lol",the games will still feel like console games "crap" and yes,if SOE doesn't feel threatened by Nintendo,they will jack the prices up a few bucks,but they would have done that anyhow.

You will still see DLC's added to very shallow /smallish games ,cash shops for any online games,yep nothing changes.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Phry said:

If only UWP was any good, for gaming its not really much cop and objectively worse than games that don't use it, its probably one of the main reasons why Windows Store is not a good place to get games from. That Windows 10 is still not the main Windows OS doesn't help either, that the primary OS used by most Windows users is still Windows 7 is particularly damning, the only thing to date that Windows 10 has actually achieved, is that more people use it than use Windows 8, and is probably the main reason why if developers want to create games for the PC, then its usually Direct X 11 based, assuming its using Direct X at all that is, after all why would any developer create a game using only UWP if barely 1/4 of PC's could even run it? and of those a significant proportion are not even gaming devices. :/
    Thats part of the long game though.  XB1 and upcoming windows platforms (namely the standalone devices) would utilize UWP.  While right now it's not great, the idea is pretty sound.  We may not see a strong return on that anytime soon, but in terms of paving the way forward for games and potentially applications as well in the future, it makes a lot of sense.  

Windows 10 makes up quite a big marketshare at the moment though.  Depending on what you're looking at in terms of windows OS, we're closer to a 40/40 split on Windows 10/7 as opposed to a 30/50 split about a year ago, so there is a wider adoption.  For Microsofts sake we can only hope they're able to pull their vision together for a truly universal platform.... we're still a ways away from that though.

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    The idea behind Windows 10 is literally the only thing I respect about Microsoft. The spirit of what they are trying to do, and this is one aspect of it, is actually an interesting pursuit in my opinion. Whether or not it takes hold is another question. Microsoft is notorious for coming up with ideas and failing to execute.
    Octagon7711
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Phry said:

Thats part of the long game though.  XB1 and upcoming windows platforms (namely the standalone devices) would utilize UWP.  While right now it's not great, the idea is pretty sound.  We may not see a strong return on that anytime soon, but in terms of paving the way forward for games and potentially applications as well in the future, it makes a lot of sense.  

Windows 10 makes up quite a big marketshare at the moment though.  Depending on what you're looking at in terms of windows OS, we're closer to a 40/40 split on Windows 10/7 as opposed to a 30/50 split about a year ago, so there is a wider adoption.  For Microsofts sake we can only hope they're able to pull their vision together for a truly universal platform.... we're still a ways away from that though.
    Not sure where you are getting your figures from tbh, afaik the adoption of Win10 vs Win 7 is that the Win 10 OS is less than half that of the Win 7 install base. :/
    BeansnBreadConstantineMerusOctagon7711
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited November 2017
    ...snip...

MS could make it happen pretty easy, though by getting rid of some of the stupid stuff in w10. 

W10 wants to take far too much control away from the user and force telemetry and the store etc along with mobile style crap.

As for the new split it's not adoption so much as they are forcing people to w10 with false information like w7 wont work on kaby/coffee lake which is not true.

I am not a hater but I really hope w10 fails hard or at least takes a long long time before it forces some of us to go from MS windows to something else.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Phry said:
    Phry said:

Not sure where you are getting your figures from tbh, afaik the adoption of Win10 vs Win 7 is that the Win 10 OS is less than half that of the Win 7 install base. :/
    Equally so, that's why I said it depends on where you get your information.  Netmarketshare shows the numbers you stated,  W3schools and gs.statcounter show closer to my figures.  Either way, its only a matter of time before Windows 10 reaches optimal saturation seeing as how it's slates as the "last release" 

Asm0deus said:

As for the new split it's not adoption so much as they are forcing people to w10 with false information like w7 wont work on kaby/coffee lake which is not true.

I am not a hater but I really hope w10 fails hard or at least takes a long long time before it forces some of us to go from MS windows to something else.

Unfortunately windows 10 is already fairly successful, although the adoption wasn't initially as strong as MS wanted which is why they are pushing more strongarm tactics trying to get everyone on the same release.  I guess you can't really blame them,  they've been fragmented for so long, it's the same issue Android is going through right now, despite it rivaling microsoft in OS marketshare (beating it in most cases) these kinds of growing pains make it hard to get a uniform release and one of the major reasons Samsung is trying to push towards Tizen

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    edited November 2017

If this really happens, i think we all saw it coming when Microsoft decided to let all(the few of them) Xbox One exclusives to also be played on PC.
    what changes basically is that they are likely to stop making new versions of the xbox hardware, or at least is stops become a focus of their hype. it will just basically be no more interesting then upgrades in the PC world

SEANMCAD said:

what changes basically is that they are likely to stop making new versions of the xbox hardware, or at least is stops become a focus of their hype. it will just basically be no more interesting then upgrades in the PC world
     They mentioned this too years ago.  There won't be any more generations of the XB...  the XB1 is THE xbox.  They will create more powerful ones, or other companies will be able to make them.  

It's a better approach IMO seeing as how most consoles end up losing money on the hardware end anyways.

SEANMCAD said:

They mentioned this too years ago.  There won't be any more generations of the XB...  the XB1 is THE xbox.  They will create more powerful ones, or other companies will be able to make them.  

It's a better approach IMO seeing as how most consoles end up losing money on the hardware end anyways.
    I think they will within 5 years stop making the xbox or any upgrades to it.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Phry said:

I'd still be using XP if that was still supported.  Win 7, Win 8, and Win 10 have been pretty much a waste as operating systems.  The only real advancements have been in Direct X 9, 10, 11, and 12, and they could have been made compatible with XP if Microsoft had really wanted to.  They have always preferred that new features come with new Operating systems to keep their revenue flowing.  Good for the business, but not so much for the customer.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Phry said:

I'd still be using XP if that was still supported.  Win 7, Win 8, and Win 10 have been pretty much a waste as operating systems.  The only real advancements have been in Direct X 9, 10, 11, and 12, and they could have been made compatible with XP if Microsoft had really wanted to.  They have always preferred that new features come with new Operating systems to keep their revenue flowing.  Good for the business, but not so much for the customer.
    XP has a ram limitation of 4gb, Windows 7+ does not.

This matters in high end gaming
    PhryByrgenarHofen

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    Mendel said:
    Phry said:

32bit XP has the 4gb limit 64bit XP does not.

32bit Windows 7 also has the 4gb limit.

Its a 32bit vs 64bit limitation.
    [Deleted User]PhryByrgenarHofenMendelmaskedweaselk61977

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Mendel said:
    Phry said:

good to know

laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Mendel said:
    Phry said:

It's an address space limitation inherent in 32-bit Operating Systems.  With a 32-bit OS, you only get 4GB of address space.  Usually, at least 500MB of that is taken up by other hardware so you're left with about 3.5GB (give or take, depending on the system) for addressing RAM.
    which is why you would not want to run a 32bit XP version on a 64bit machine (assuming you even can).

I wonder how many people use 64bit XP

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Mendel said:
    Phry said:

It's an address space limitation inherent in 32-bit Operating Systems.  With a 32-bit OS, you only get 4GB of address space.  Usually, at least 500MB of that is taken up by other hardware so you're left with about 3.5GB (give or take, depending on the system) for addressing RAM.
    32 bit programs running on a 64bit OS are also limited to using only 4GB of ram
    Phry

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Mendel said:
    Phry said:

32 bit programs running on a 64bit OS are also limited to using only 4GB of ram
    how much you want to bet most people who insist on sticking with XP are running 32bit. 50%?

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Lame, it's talking about 'First-Party Content'.  Until I can play NHL again without spending 500 bucks on a console, I don't care.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Microsoft is getting smart, what's next? Electronic Arts getting charitable,  CCP getting competent in launching successful new games?

Weird.

B)
    mklinic

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited November 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Microsoft is getting smart, what's next? Electronic Arts getting charitable,  CCP getting competent in launching successful new games?

Weird.

B)
    oh I forgot I need to provide context,

Microsoft is finally getting smart within its consumer products and consumer services in the era of the past 10 years or so.

is that better?

i dont think a lot of gamers play SharePoint
    postlarval