Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's Really Happening, Folks - Job Listings for Classic Servers Posted - World of Warcraft News

Comments

• calibekcalibek Member UncommonPosts: 300

SEANMCAD said:

Torval said:

calibek said:

SEANMCAD said:

calibek said:

I would bet, more than likely, a lot of the game is going to be classic but with new models, coding, db designing. So yes it isn't most likely going to be a copy past if old WoW but current WoW's visuals just with the classic feel.

that sounds like the plan.
    One wouldn't be looking for someone to ' building UI elements' given the UI elements already exist so clearly they are likely wanting to make a change.

For me specifically I would prefer an exact copy. There are a few games I would love to replay. for example Darkfall 1 exactly as the original was to the tee a few times for nostalgia for example. I would not be happy with graphic updates or UI changing

Exact copy would never happen. Change in tech alone over the last decade is extensive enough to warrant a rewrite. Then there are the old models. While some like them I would more than guarantee that Blizz won't put in old models and spell effects and keep them more how they are now.

As I edited in my previous post I want to see how they handle imbalances and class uselessness such as 2h windfury shaman and ret paladin.

For one thing they may not use Oracle anymore.....

why would that be? Oracle is still a very well used database engine. you are making up a lot of theories and calling them explaination of facts which is odd to say the least

anyway...from Fords post of the job description its very clear to me this is not really WoW Classic but rather WoW Classic Remastered (to borrow a phrase from another poster).
    They want to change even the UI...

For all we know it could be just a generic job desription used for the position or one they copy pasted from the same job title someone has. I would not be surprised if this would be a stepping stone job. By that I mean that since this server would not update and only need maintained that they could use it to train coders and engineers for advancement.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    calibek said:

SEANMCAD said:

Torval said:

calibek said:

SEANMCAD said:

calibek said:

I would bet, more than likely, a lot of the game is going to be classic but with new models, coding, db designing. So yes it isn't most likely going to be a copy past if old WoW but current WoW's visuals just with the classic feel.

One wouldn't be looking for someone to ' building UI elements' given the UI elements already exist so clearly they are likely wanting to make a change.

For me specifically I would prefer an exact copy. There are a few games I would love to replay. for example Darkfall 1 exactly as the original was to the tee a few times for nostalgia for example. I would not be happy with graphic updates or UI changing

Exact copy would never happen. Change in tech alone over the last decade is extensive enough to warrant a rewrite. Then there are the old models. While some like them I would more than guarantee that Blizz won't put in old models and spell effects and keep them more how they are now.

As I edited in my previous post I want to see how they handle imbalances and class uselessness such as 2h windfury shaman and ret paladin.

For one thing they may not use Oracle anymore.....

why would that be? Oracle is still a very well used database engine. you are making up a lot of theories and calling them explaination of facts which is odd to say the least

anyway...from Fords post of the job description its very clear to me this is not really WoW Classic but rather WoW Classic Remastered (to borrow a phrase from another poster).
    They want to change even the UI...

For all we know it could be just a generic job desription used for the position or one they copy pasted from the same job title someone has. I would not be surprised if this would be a stepping stone job. By that I mean that since this server would not update and only need maintained that they could use it to train coders and engineers for advancement.
    I have seen that happen before 'that' meaning the job description not really what the job was needing. yeah a programmer but different skill set for example.

I guess it could go either way

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2017
    Torval said:
    calibek said:

SEANMCAD said:

calibek said:

For one thing they may not use Oracle anymore. Maybe they've switched to a friendlier license or different platform like postgres or t-sql. The old system doesn't work with their current network technology and client platform. There is a lot to resurrecting old code. Sean has had this explained to him before and is a self-ascribed developer so he should know this or at least understand the concept.

I think your last paragraph really nails the challenge ahead. There are technical hurdles in order to adapt the old code base to the new tech. But the real challenge will be in deciding what classic means, what gets translated exactly, what gets modified, and what gets added or dropped. Even from launch to BC there were a lot of changes. Some of the changes that happened post "vanilla" are because they needed to make balance adjustments. How will those things play out in "classic".

In any event, I think this could be one of the most fun dev projects to work on. Maybe a classic WoW lead dev will return. I doubt it, but you never know.
    With regards to the balance ideas, I don't think adjusting some underlying numbers would be something that would turn most off, so long as the mechanics themselves remain unchanged.  Things like small boosts to overall DPS output of Ret Paladins without changing the mechanics of the talent tree or skills would help in some instances.  It's obvious not easy, but they're hiring a team to do it, so I don't think they're shy about accepting the challenge on vanilla with as objective an "improvement" to easily recognized problem areas as a largely useless spec tree.
    Thupli

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    SBFord said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    This makes zero sense to me:

'Responsibilities include building gameplay systems, transforming database data, building UI elements, repackaging binary distributions, and working closely with designers to revive the classic game elements.'
    Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/world-of-warcraft/news/its-really-happening-folks-job-listings-for-classic-servers-posted-1000046307#mJRZAkxiZoVIs7wU.99

That seems to suggest that they are basically redoing the vast majority of the game, I dont understand why they would do that when they already have the code.
    Because they have redone the entire file system more than once since the original coding was created. Additionally, they need to spruce it up to today's standards. After all, most of that code is 2 decades old and needs to be redone as well as to add functionality including integration with modern GPUs and operating systems and with BattleNet.
    no that doesnt make sense unless you are trying to integrate the old game into the new game.
    The old code should be stand alone, put on a seperate networking system. make any alterations needed for hardware technical changes that arent virtualized. Think 'find me machine where I can run windows 95 please' to explain it simplistically

from reading it, it sounds like what they are doing is creating a new version of the old classic game, not an exact copy. 
    Why don't apply for project lead Sean

I'm sure Blizzard would highly benefit from your expertise
    [Deleted User]ByrgenarHofenforcelimaNepheth

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

Torval said:

calibek said:

SEANMCAD said:

calibek said:

For one thing they may not use Oracle anymore. Maybe they've switched to a friendlier license or different platform like postgres or t-sql. The old system doesn't work with their current network technology and client platform. There is a lot to resurrecting old code. Sean has had this explained to him before and is a self-ascribed developer so he should know this or at least understand the concept.

I think your last paragraph really nails the challenge ahead. There are technical hurdles in order to adapt the old code base to the new tech. But the real challenge will be in deciding what classic means, what gets translated exactly, what gets modified, and what gets added or dropped. Even from launch to BC there were a lot of changes. Some of the changes that happened post "vanilla" are because they needed to make balance adjustments. How will those things play out in "classic".

In any event, I think this could be one of the most fun dev projects to work on. Maybe a classic WoW lead dev will return. I doubt it, but you never know.

With regards to the balance ideas, I don't think adjusting some underlying numbers would be something that would turn most off, so long as the mechanics themselves remain unchanged.  Things like small boosts to overall DPS output of Ret Paladins without changing the mechanics of the talent tree or skills would help in some instances.  It's obvious not easy, but they're hiring a team to do it, so I don't think they're shy about accepting the challenge on vanilla with as objective an "improvement" to easily recognized problem areas as a largely useless spec tree.

I don't think numbers are going to be sufficient enough. I remember being stun locked by rogues for a very long time and it was annoying but they had to have it for dungeon running, 2h windfury shaman massacring people (I was one), dwarf priests being the only viable one due to their racial class specific spell, mages drinking after EVERY mob. These are things that, while some remember fondly, were heavily complained about by many. That could cut PvP and PvE times but that wasn't how classic was so that is a change that could anger people.

I've said before, the idea of classic is appealing but the execution will see whether Blizz can make it happen.

Torval said:

I'm not talking about Oracle being able to handle the job. I'm saying Oracle licensing is expensive as hell and the bigger you are and more money you make, the more expensive it gets. When WoW was created Oracle was probably the only rdbms that could handle the load, but that's not true anymore. They could roll a custom MySQL or PostGRES or they could use SQLServer/T-SQL, all of which can handle the load for a lot less licensing.

Like everyone else, I'm just speculating possibilities because it's fun. So, if they were on Oracle originally, but moved to another db system then all of those queries, triggers, stored procedures, and maintenance jobs would need to be migrated. All of the tables and data types would need to be migrated.

It's an example of a piece of technology that would take a massive effort to translate. There could be any number of those situations in their system or code base.

That's even assuming they can be migrated properly. My team tried that once at my previous job and THAT ended up going poorly. Think it would have been easier just to rewrite everything.

edited November 2017
    Torval said:
    I'm not talking about Oracle being able to handle the job. I'm saying Oracle licensing is expensive as hell and the bigger you are and more money you make, the more expensive it gets. When WoW was created Oracle was probably the only rdbms that could handle the load, but that's not true anymore. They could roll a custom MySQL or PostGRES or they could use SQLServer/T-SQL, all of which can handle the load for a lot less licensing.

Like everyone else, I'm just speculating possibilities because it's fun. So, if they were on Oracle originally, but moved to another db system then all of those queries, triggers, stored procedures, and maintenance jobs would need to be migrated. All of the tables and data types would need to be migrated.

It's an example of a piece of technology that would take a massive effort to translate. There could be any number of those situations in their system or code base.
    dude you are suggesting the theory that they are no longer using Oracle which is completely possible that they are not, but then again maybe they are. Some of the clients we had when I was with a consultanting company LOVED Oracle, some thought it was a joke.

maybe they lost all the code in a fire? maybe aliens took it.

There are a LOT of 'possibilities' but none that you suggest leaves a good argument that the DEFAULT assumption is 'they cant get the old code'

Its possible...yeah...usually its unlikely but it is possible. but possible doesent make it factual and it doesnt make the suggestion that 'well cant they just get the old code' such an absurb proposition.

its a bit like saying 'our company which is 100% known for one magazine cant re-publish our first verion becasue we cant get to it'

yeah...possible...likely? you dont need to be a programmer to figure that out

GdemamiByrgenarHofenpostlarval

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    calibek said:

Torval said:

calibek said:

SEANMCAD said:

calibek said:

I don't think numbers are going to be sufficient enough. I remember being stun locked by rogues for a very long time and it was annoying but they had to have it for dungeon running, 2h windfury shaman massacring people (I was one), dwarf priests being the only viable one due to their racial class specific spell, mages drinking after EVERY mob. These are things that, while some remember fondly, were heavily complained about by many. That could cut PvP and PvE times but that wasn't how classic was so that is a change that could anger people.

I've said before, the idea of classic is appealing but the execution will see whether Blizz can make it happen.
    I don't remember Dwarf priests being the only viable Priest.

And while you certainly won't eliminate all imbalance, I'm not sure that's even a realistic expectation.  You can, however, blunt the effects to present a version of vanilla that's improved not due to sweeping gameplay system changes but simply due to a clearer hindsight vision of the patch level's issues.
    ByrgenarHofen

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500

laserit said:

SEANMCAD said:

SBFord said:

SEANMCAD said:

'Responsibilities include building gameplay systems, transforming database data, building UI elements, repackaging binary distributions, and working closely with designers to revive the classic game elements.'

Read more at http://www.mmorpg.com/world-of-warcraft/news/its-really-happening-folks-job-listings-for-classic-servers-posted-1000046307#mJRZAkxiZoVIs7wU.99

That seems to suggest that they are basically redoing the vast majority of the game, I dont understand why they would do that when they already have the code.

Because they have redone the entire file system more than once since the original coding was created. Additionally, they need to spruce it up to today's standards. After all, most of that code is 2 decades old and needs to be redone as well as to add functionality including integration with modern GPUs and operating systems and with BattleNet.

no that doesnt make sense unless you are trying to integrate the old game into the new game.
    The old code should be stand alone, put on a seperate networking system. make any alterations needed for hardware technical changes that arent virtualized. Think 'find me machine where I can run windows 95 please' to explain it simplistically

from reading it, it sounds like what they are doing is creating a new version of the old classic game, not an exact copy. 

If I had the skills I'd consider doing so.

But as my "developer" career just got started back in June when my group ashcanned PM as a role I am "a bit " lacking in experience.

;)
    laserit

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Kyleran said:

laserit said:

SEANMCAD said:

SBFord said:

SEANMCAD said:

But as my "developer" career just got started back in June when my group ashcanned PM as a role I am "a bit " lacking in experience.

;)
    Do it anyway. Maybe your current skills are brilliant for the time you have been doing it.

Just do it and see what happens. I would.
    Gdemami
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

calibek said:

Torval said:

calibek said:

SEANMCAD said:

calibek said:

And while you certainly won't eliminate all imbalance, I'm not sure that's even a realistic expectation.  You can, however, blunt the effects to present a version of vanilla that's improved not due to sweeping gameplay system changes but simply due to a clearer hindsight vision of the patch level's issues.

Is was due to a specific spell they had...i think it was fear ward? That spell alone was helpful in both PvE and PvP which is why there were a ton of them running around. I ran a human priest in vanilla and got heckled constantly for it.

People don't care about reality, only perception, and if their perception is that they weren't as powerful as they were in classic they are going to be angry. Like i said if you alter some things you anger the purists, but change nothing such as fixing bugs and letting a OP class exist and you anger people who want a fair playing field. Someone is going to be upset and Blizz is going to alienate someone. Don't think there is a way to get around that.
    MadFrenchie

Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

laserit said:

SEANMCAD said:

SBFord said:

SEANMCAD said:

;)
    Do it anyway. Maybe your current skills are brilliant for the time you have been doing it.

Funny story, most of the feedback I'v received states I'm doing well and showing great understanding of what's going on.

But as I told someone,  if I had only started this about 20 years ago I'd probably be good at it by now 

Or burned out I guess.... 

Gdemami

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited November 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

laserit said:

SEANMCAD said:

SBFord said:

SEANMCAD said:

;)

Funny story, most of the feedback I'v received states I'm doing well and showing great understanding of what's going on.

But as I told someone,  if I had only started this about 20 years ago I'd probably be good at it by now 

Or burned out I guess.... 

what I enjoy as a programmer is the 'rock star' mythos that it has. everyone wants to talk about it. Hell if I had told you I was a garbage man I doubt the dicks would be nearly as hard as they are on this one.

lol

what is this?
    http://www.gocertify.com/certifications/microsoft/mcad.html
    Gdemamipostlarval

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    calibek said:

calibek said:

Torval said:

calibek said:

SEANMCAD said:

calibek said:

Is was due to a specific spell they had...i think it was fear ward? That spell alone was helpful in both PvE and PvP which is why there were a ton of them running around. I ran a human priest in vanilla and got heckled constantly for it.

People don't care about reality, only perception, and if their perception is that they weren't as powerful as they were in classic they are going to be angry. Like i said if you alter some things you anger the purists, but change nothing such as fixing bugs and letting a OP class exist and you anger people who want a fair playing field. Someone is going to be upset and Blizz is going to alienate someone. Don't think there is a way to get around that.
    Most raids wanted dwarf priests for their fear ward specifically for BWL and Onyxia. Basically if you were an alliance priest and not a dwarf, you were SoL.
    laserit
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    SEANMCAD said:
    SBFord said:
    SEANMCAD said:

If you look at it as "just the game"  you MIGHT be right and not totally wrong about it.  If you look at it as a "server" is not a single box, but multiple boxes that make up one "server" and on top of an infrastructure, then you are extremely wrong about it.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

edited November 2017
    waynejr2 said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    SBFord said:
    SEANMCAD said:

If you look at it as "just the game"  you MIGHT be right and not totally wrong about it.  If you look at it as a "server" is not a single box, but multiple boxes that make up one "server" and on top of an infrastructure, then you are extremely wrong about it.
    as we speak we have a website we put on a server that is 10 years old.

I get that its POSSIBLE that 'they can not get access to the code' but is it too much to ask that its also possible that they actually do have access to the most important code in their companies history?' is that out of line to suggest?

besides this is all silly, from reading the job description in the other thread it looks like its likely that is WoW Classic Remastered, not WoW Classic.

more than once in my career I have 'spun up' an old code base....on a server
    Gdemamipostlarval

• KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352

SEANMCAD said:

Kootur said:

SEANMCAD said:

Sovrath said:

SEANMCAD said:

Sovrath said:

SBFord said:

SEANMCAD said:

I and others have said this to him but he just doesn't want to accept it because it doesn't fit in with how he thinks.

@SEANMCAD: dude! It is what it is. Clearly more is going on then what you think should be going on.

just please..stick to the subject at hand. its really getting old.

from reading the quote it sounds to me like they are NOT making a direct copy but rather a new version that is 'like' the old. now if you please, can you just address that observation or stop replying, one of the two

Except I did. We've already discussed this ad nauseum. In any case you pretty much got it with your last post.

It's going to be classic World of Warcraft but as they said before, they want it to be more than just booting up some old code. They have a certain level of quality that goes along with their brand and they want to make sure that "Classic World of Warcraft" fits that.

ok then do you feel any better? stop replying then..please we get it or do you want something specifically from me?

Are you autistic.?

wow!

now THAT i think I can call insulting without being insulted by doing so.

you guys really need to just get off it

Just asking.
    edited November 2017
    Kootur said:

SEANMCAD said:

Kootur said:

SEANMCAD said:

Sovrath said:

SEANMCAD said:

Sovrath said:

SBFord said:

SEANMCAD said:

I and others have said this to him but he just doesn't want to accept it because it doesn't fit in with how he thinks.

@SEANMCAD: dude! It is what it is. Clearly more is going on then what you think should be going on.

just please..stick to the subject at hand. its really getting old.

from reading the quote it sounds to me like they are NOT making a direct copy but rather a new version that is 'like' the old. now if you please, can you just address that observation or stop replying, one of the two

Except I did. We've already discussed this ad nauseum. In any case you pretty much got it with your last post.

It's going to be classic World of Warcraft but as they said before, they want it to be more than just booting up some old code. They have a certain level of quality that goes along with their brand and they want to make sure that "Classic World of Warcraft" fits that.

ok then do you feel any better? stop replying then..please we get it or do you want something specifically from me?

Are you autistic.?

wow!

now THAT i think I can call insulting without being insulted by doing so.

you guys really need to just get off it

Just asking.
    at least your on topic.

would you still like me to answer? and what if I say Yes?
    postlarval

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    calibek said:
    The hardest part is WHAT patch are they going to go for? Is it going to be 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc?
    ...what makes you think it will be vanilla version at all?
    Gdemami said:
    calibek said:
    The hardest part is WHAT patch are they going to go for? Is it going to be 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, etc?
    Great question, it could be vanilla like in terms of gameplay but actually be Classic version 1.00.01.
    [Deleted User]

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Kyleran said:
    Gdemami said:
    calibek said:
    Great question, it could be vanilla like in terms of gameplay but actually be Classic version 1.00.01.
    I feel like since it's going to be rebuilt from the ground up, we will end up getting a basic vanilla structure with none of the bugs (hopefully) in the modern engine. I'm hoping they retain all of the vanilla stats and quests and such.

I'm also wondering now, if this is how they are making the servers, does this mean it might have a oldschool runescape update system? Where they have a separate team working on vanilla updates, and adding new content to the vanilla structure instead of just releasing expansions in order? That would be really cool in my opinion. 
    [Deleted User]
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    since it's going to be rebuilt from the ground up
    ...that is a fact now?
    Thupligoobsnews
    edited November 2017
    Kyleran said:
    Gdemami said:
    calibek said:
    I feel like since it's going to be rebuilt from the ground up, we will end up getting a basic vanilla structure with none of the bugs (hopefully) in the modern engine. I'm hoping they retain all of the vanilla stats and quests and such.

I'm also wondering now, if this is how they are making the servers, does this mean it might have a oldschool runescape update system? Where they have a separate team working on vanilla updates, and adding new content to the vanilla structure instead of just releasing expansions in order? That would be really cool in my opinion. 
    'it is' or 'it might be' I am not sure it is for sure, but its looking like it might be.

The thing people are overlooking is that if the job description is in fact for this project then its highly likely the UI will be redesigned, leaving the question, exactly how 'classic' will this experience be?
    Gdemami

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Gdemami said:
    since it's going to be rebuilt from the ground up
    ...that is a fact now?
    If they are hiring to rebuild portions of the game, I can see at least a bit of truth to that being a fact. 
    Gdemami
    Torval said:
    Kyleran said:
    Gdemami said:
    calibek said:

Those are good points and bring up good questions.

Will classic be based on a Vanilla (or BC or Wrath) version as a foundation and then modified? What does classic mean to Blizz? Will they be static with no new content or progression or will they be progression based and open up some new classes, races, and features over time? What will be changed from early versions in translation to classic and why? What will stay the same? Those are the things I'll like to see them detail over the next few months.
    and what is all this 'UI design' about.

to me that is kinda bigly. You want to 'update' my graphics and do some work on the UI for my classic experience?
    Gdemami