Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic wow will make noobs cry

Comments

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    DMKano just stop you are embarassing yourself, im actually laughing out loud when i read your comments...so bad.

Blizzard Activision is a publicly traded company - their motivation is seeing their stock price go up.

Its about money.

Are you that naive that you think they would waste any resources on projects that wont make them money?

lol

A publically traded billion+ dollar company is doing something to benefit a niche playerbase, because they are ..... nice?

heh

All your logic about WoW Classis in numerous threads were destroyed BADLY, you are repeating em every 2nd page, no1 ever said Blizzard is not a money hungry company, if you understood bussiness you would know that its not even in their hands any more, they did go public long long long long time ago.

I said this before, if it was up to them there would BE NO VANILLA SERVER, so now after 8years of saying NO they said YES, just to bring something that nobody wants back? sorry dude but as i said before your logic is dogbleep.

What is 100% going to happen is last Vanilla patch polished, and by that i mean they will change things that dont affect the gameplay in any way, just change the gamebrakeing things that just MAKE SENSE even for most hardcore Vanilla player. Ill give you a possible example a 30minute shield wall changed to 5 minutes?

You can keep trying to assert ur bad logic and nitpick all you want, but if you watch the announcement and read the interview like i asked you, you would have no more things to say.

You are completely not understanding - the reason why they said YES finally is because they figured out how to make Classic servers worth it their dev time and how to make money off it.

That is the ONLY reason why they are saying yes now.

My entire argument is that in order to make money of Classic - the servers won't be 100% Vanilla like you claim.

Nope - what they are going to actually DELIVER (regardless of what they are saying NOW) is going to be something a lot more appealing to masses other than purists who want 100% vanilla servers.

Did I make myself clear this time?

What board meeting did you sit in on at Blizz to get a clear understanding of what and what did not motivate Blizz execs to peruse this? 

Why are you on this crusade to crap all over this? There are a lot of people who want this including me, but clearly you are threatened by this move.

I wonder why.
    He is not threathened by it, he just lost some ego by saying this wont ever happen over the years, so he is bashing it (badly) trying to recover some of it back.
    sorry what does this have to do with WoW?

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    SEANMCAD said:
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    DMKano just stop you are embarassing yourself, im actually laughing out loud when i read your comments...so bad.

Blizzard Activision is a publicly traded company - their motivation is seeing their stock price go up.

Its about money.

Are you that naive that you think they would waste any resources on projects that wont make them money?

lol

A publically traded billion+ dollar company is doing something to benefit a niche playerbase, because they are ..... nice?

heh

All your logic about WoW Classis in numerous threads were destroyed BADLY, you are repeating em every 2nd page, no1 ever said Blizzard is not a money hungry company, if you understood bussiness you would know that its not even in their hands any more, they did go public long long long long time ago.

I said this before, if it was up to them there would BE NO VANILLA SERVER, so now after 8years of saying NO they said YES, just to bring something that nobody wants back? sorry dude but as i said before your logic is dogbleep.

What is 100% going to happen is last Vanilla patch polished, and by that i mean they will change things that dont affect the gameplay in any way, just change the gamebrakeing things that just MAKE SENSE even for most hardcore Vanilla player. Ill give you a possible example a 30minute shield wall changed to 5 minutes?

You can keep trying to assert ur bad logic and nitpick all you want, but if you watch the announcement and read the interview like i asked you, you would have no more things to say.

You are completely not understanding - the reason why they said YES finally is because they figured out how to make Classic servers worth it their dev time and how to make money off it.

That is the ONLY reason why they are saying yes now.

My entire argument is that in order to make money of Classic - the servers won't be 100% Vanilla like you claim.

Nope - what they are going to actually DELIVER (regardless of what they are saying NOW) is going to be something a lot more appealing to masses other than purists who want 100% vanilla servers.

Did I make myself clear this time?

What board meeting did you sit in on at Blizz to get a clear understanding of what and what did not motivate Blizz execs to peruse this? 

Why are you on this crusade to crap all over this? There are a lot of people who want this including me, but clearly you are threatened by this move.

I wonder why.
    He is not threathened by it, he just lost some ego by saying this wont ever happen over the years, so he is bashing it (badly) trying to recover some of it back.
    sorry what does this have to do with WoW?
    Things DMKano wrote in this thread have nothing to do with WoW, since none of em are correct and some of em are common knowledge. I understand this might go over your head tho.
    Gdemami

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Albatroes said:
    I also have to admit that I can't wait for no more looms. And locks having to fight to get their pets. Oh oh and the old school talent system. Didn't they have skilling up in wow? Like you use an axe and gain axe skill etc?
    Yes, you trained weaponskills.  Believe it only affected to hit chance, not damage.
    Still pretty important if that's the case. What I liked about systems like these was that even though they were tedious, they showed how dedicated you were to your class and it separated you from just another "class." You took time to get your skills up, know what stats are good for your class etc, so it made you more sought after by guilds and such. Old school mmorpgs weren't perfect by any means but they did teach you quite abit about patience and how to work together with others.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:
    Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:

Sorry I just had to say it and I will stay out
    You say this and then post several more times?  Can we take anything you say seriously?

:p
    then dont
    Dont worry, much like most posters here, I dont.

Kyleran
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Albatroes said:
    Albatroes said:
    I also have to admit that I can't wait for no more looms. And locks having to fight to get their pets. Oh oh and the old school talent system. Didn't they have skilling up in wow? Like you use an axe and gain axe skill etc?
    Yes, you trained weaponskills.  Believe it only affected to hit chance, not damage.
    Still pretty important if that's the case. What I liked about systems like these was that even though they were tedious, they showed how dedicated you were to your class and it separated you from just another "class." You took time to get your skills up, know what stats are good for your class etc, so it made you more sought after by guilds and such. Old school mmorpgs weren't perfect by any means but they did teach you quite abit about patience and how to work together with others.
    Leveling up weapon skills involved nothing more than going to Blasted Lands and beating on the invulnerable mobs over and over until your skill was maxed. It was basically pointless.
  • prizm1234prizm1234 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    vanilla Naxx
    [Deleted User]KyleranSteelhelm

Rhoklaw said:
    So are they reverting to Horde Shamans and Alliance Paladins? I miss that little piece of faction pride we had back then. That and no more Pandas, lol, WTF was Blizzard thinking.
    Well pandaren actually pre-dated WoW, they were in Warcraft III. But the entire MoP expansion was very targeted to the Eastern market.
    ConstantineMerus
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Forgrimm said:
    Albatroes said:
    Albatroes said:
    Leveling up weapon skills involved nothing more than going to Blasted Lands and beating on the invulnerable mobs over and over until your skill was maxed. It was basically pointless.

Your answer is the answer for all people?  You are speaking for you and not everyone else right?  It still took effort.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I actually enjoyed Mists of Pandaria.
    I wasn't crazy about the zones or stories but I absolutely loved the Monk class - all 3 flavors of it.
    [Deleted User]Talonsin
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    So yeah, weapon skills were terrible in my opinion as well. It wasn't just about commitment to class. If you got a sweet drop that wasn't your current weapon type, you would have to grind out weapon skill before using it for anything. Until you get all the weapon skills up, it can make a great moment feel like a chore very quickly.

Small price to pay to have Blizzard fully support a classic server though.
    Forgrimm
    edited November 2017
    Forgrimm said:
    Albatroes said:
    Albatroes said:
    To each their own, Forgrimm. 

If a person is basing their experience on the sum of the parts then no single piece is pointless if the connection of those pieces produces the desired experience. 

I understand you prefer the current game to the old and that's fine, but the character of the old game was the sums of its parts.  And each of those parts contributed to the whole.  Now, if you take each individual piece and look at it in isolation it may seem pointless.  You have to feed your pet?  WTF is the point of that?!!  The point, is that the game, as a whole, was fun.  Actually, it was a lot of fun.  It was so much fun that World of Warcraft became the most popular MMO in history.  And that's why some people want to bring it back.
    I disagree with this sentiment in general because it just assumes in the other direction. When you say that a game is the sum of it's parts, that doesn't mean that every single part was what made the game attractive to people. Indeed, weapon skills may even have driven people off and WoW may have been 200 times more successful without them.

Either way, each individual feels differently about the systems and there is no reason not to accept someone's opinion when they say they think a system is terrible or wonderful. Both can be correct. And I think that is where we agree.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    edited November 2017
    keying places to enter raids, and even dungeons (LBRS/UBRS).

farming elites for eyes for priest weapon in Winterzone

farming for poison skills as a rogue

faction grinding that was nothing but killing (furbolg)

BIS items coming for all over the place (Dark Iron stuff)

Set grinding that was meaningful, getting that 6 piece from Scholomance/Stratholme/UBRS made you feel epic

BRD dungeon...nuff said, people will quit on that 4 hour dungeon
    Steelhelm
    Weren't there like 8+ hour long AVs in vanilla too?
    omg, I forgot about AV. Oh no....
    Albatroes
    omg, I forgot about AV. Oh no....
    Lol "Sorry boss, I'm stuck in AV on WoW: Classic so I wont be coming in."
    [Deleted User]Steelhelm
    edited November 2017
    You could go to sleep and wake up the next day to rejoin the same Alterac Valley instance, lol.  It was fucking AWESOME!
    Its gonna be the first time for me experiencing one that long. Was just looking at some old wow posts about them, sounds crazy. Longest one I was in was about 2 hours probably back in cata. Was still pretty fun though. AV has always been one of my favorites to do. This should mean pvp will be active every bracket though yeah? Instead of just at cap. I miss leveling up through pvp.
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    I'm still Hoping they Bring back something like SWG.....God I miss that game...Repopulation tried to bring it back somewhat but failed...lol
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Myrdynn said:

Set grinding that was meaningful, getting that 6 piece from Scholomance/Stratholme/UBRS made you feel epic

It's always fun to me when i see posts like this, because i think of the shit i went through playing EQ and how i bitched about playing WoW and didnt play it until 6 months after release (despite my friends joining at release) because i hated how ezmode casual it was.
    [Deleted User]BeansnBreadAvarix

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

edited November 2017
    Rhoklaw said:
    Hrimnir said:
    Myrdynn said:

It's always fun to me when i see posts like this, because i think of the shit i went through playing EQ and how i bitched about playing WoW and didnt play it until 6 months after release (despite my friends joining at release) because i hated how ezmode casual it was.
    The WoW generation doesn't know what playing a difficult MMO actually felt like. Instead, they chime back with the same old rhetoric that EQ difficulty was simply inconvenience, not challenge. No, corpse runs were definitely more challenging than anything WoW ever threw at us.
    I played DAoC, which was Everquest lite in a way, but vanilla World of Warcraft was more fun.  It was still a dangerous world but in the right way; it offered a sense of accomplishment without that awful feeling of losing XP on death, which sometimes meant you lost an entire evening's worth of progress if you grouped with wrong people and died multiple times.  For most people that wasn't fun, and WoW fixed that problem by making death cost gold instead of XP.  Dying in WoW was punishing enough; you lost time and gold, and that was enough to make you not want to die but  not so much that it ruined your entire evening of gaming if you did.  It was the perfect balance.
    The good ol' days of losing levels in FFXI. Only good thing about FFXI to a degree was the exp didn't scale significantly high when you got a level (exp tnl). But it still wasn't fun running content and then dying so much that you down level and then have to get your level back lol.
    [Deleted User]
  • SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    It will certainly make me cry, i got really late into vanilla and only hit lvl38 or something with a warrior. 
    I don't think casuals will like vanilla cause of how slow you level and hard it is.
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    Albatroes said:
    Weren't there like 8+ hour long AVs in vanilla too?
    3 days. But it was just a HK grind, nobody cared to win really. During bonus weekends, most games are <30min long.
    edited November 2017
    Forgrimm said:
    Albatroes said:
    Albatroes said:

If a person is basing their experience on the sum of the parts then no single piece is pointless if the connection of those pieces produces the desired experience. 

I understand you prefer the current game to the old and that's fine, but the character of the old game was the sums of its parts.  And each of those parts contributed to the whole.  Now, if you take each individual piece and look at it in isolation it may seem pointless.  You have to feed your pet?  WTF is the point of that?!!  The point, is that the game, as a whole, was fun.  Actually, it was a lot of fun.  It was so much fun that World of Warcraft became the most popular MMO in history.  And that's why some people want to bring it back.
    Highest sub numbers were at the end of Wrath, beginning of Cata, after all that useless shit was removed.

Edit: To add to that, at least feeding pets had a roleplay purpose. And although it was just micro-management, it had the potential to give the feeling of having a bond with the pet. Training weapon skills had no real purpose. My seasoned, battle-hardened level 60 warrior who has been bashing skulls with a mace since his youth, picks up a sword for the first time and suddenly he can't even hit a level 10 kobold with it?

My purpose for bringing it up in this thread was in response to someone who said that leveling weapon skills showed dedication and knowing your class. My response was that, going to Blasted Lands and beating on an invulnerable mob doesn't show dedication. It was a tedious chore that you could practically afk through.
    Post edited by Forgrimm on
    Rhoklaw said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    So are they reverting to Horde Shamans and Alliance Paladins? I miss that little piece of faction pride we had back then. That and no more Pandas, lol, WTF was Blizzard thinking.
    Well pandaren actually pre-dated WoW, they were in Warcraft III. But the entire MoP expansion was very targeted to the Eastern market.
    It was intended to be an April Fool's joke. The fact they became a playable race in WoW just takes that absurdity to a whole new level.
    It was originally an April Fools joke, but got such a huge fan response that it was added to the game. Pandaren brewmasters and Chen Stormstout were added, I think to the Frozen Throne expansion.
    [Deleted User]
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Iselin said:
    I actually enjoyed Mists of Pandaria.
    I wasn't crazy about the zones or stories but I absolutely loved the Monk class - all 3 flavors of it.
    Me too!  I loved my little gnome monk.  His fists of fury skill was awesome and always made me smile.
    Iselin
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Forgrimm said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Albatroes said:
    Albatroes said:

Highest sub numbers were at the end of Wrath, beginning of Cata, after all that useless shit was removed.

Edit: To add to that, at least feeding pets had a roleplay purpose. And although it was just micro-management, it had the potential to give the feeling of having a bond with the pet. Training weapon skills had no real purpose. My seasoned, battle-hardened level 60 warrior who has been bashing skulls with a mace since his youth, picks up a sword for the first time and suddenly he can't even hit a level 10 kobold with it?

My purpose for bringing it up in this thread was in response to someone who said that leveling weapon skills showed dedication and knowing your class. My response was that, going to Blasted Lands and beating on an invulnerable mob doesn't show dedication. It was a tedious chore that you could practically afk through.
    Yeah, I can't argue that specific point you're making.  But I'll happily take the weapon skills back if it means I get back everything else from that version of the game.  I'd rather they not remove anything because each of those pieces are part of what made that version of the game what it was.  Even though the weapon skills could seem tedious at times, it forced you to explore the different cities to visit the various trainers who could teach you how to use new weapons.  It was part of the roleplaying experience for me.  But I'm sure many people can do without it which is no doubt why it was removed with Cataclysm.
    I agree, since they're finally doing it, they should do it right and make it as close to original Vanilla as possible. If they start stripping this and that, changing things, adding newer features, it's going to defeat the purpose of it all. 
    [Deleted User]Steelhelm