Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic wow will make noobs cry

Comments

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Kyleran said:
    Torval said:
    Twinking alts is half the fun of an old school mmo for me. It lets me explore a lot of different aspects to the game play. I've done that since Lineage.
    Ive forgotten was it every 10 levels from 19 onwards BGs were organized by?
    Yea, 20-29, 30-39, etc.

• SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    Grazy hype! It just shows how popular vanilla and the earlier expansions of WoW were. I think the brass in blizzard know what they are doing, but there are propably people also at blizzard, maybe even among the brass, that don't quite understand what they are doing and especially why they are doing it. The company has changed over time a lot. Why classic servers? And of course there are people outside blizzard who don't understand why someone would or thousands of people would want a 10+ year old game back. It's understandable.

I think classic servers are gonna be a hit.
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    I am expecting a low server population after the first month.  Nostalgia is a wonderful thing but it makes you forget the negative aspects.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

edited November 2017
    Jonnyp2 said:
    I mean I'm excited to try it again, but I don't understand the idea that Classic WoW was somehow more difficult than the modern version.  From what I remember every class had a 3 button pve rotation, the raid mechanics were almost nonexistant until C'thun, and at least 75% of my server first guild backpedaled and clicked the majority of their abilities. 
    Everyone seems to have a different interpretation of what "difficult" means in a MMO, but for 100% sure the world of vanilla World of Warcraft was more dangerous.  If you wondered into a camp of troggs in Loch Modan without carefully measuring you're surroundings, you were probably destined for a dirt nap.
    For a specific example, the dazed mechanic was something that meant you couldn't just hit abort on a fight and flee without utilizing some kind of escape mechanic.  Even then, with, say, Mage's Blink, it didn't remove dazed.

I remember playing GW2 and, save for a few mobs (i.e. those tiny raptors in HoT), you could simply turn away and outrun the mobs if things started heading south. On my ele, that also included a short-cooldown dash that helped get out of reach.  I generally pushed things to the edge of my character's ability because, unless I just stuck around a losing battle far too long, I could always safely escape.  Even if I couldn't, GW2s downed state gave me a second chance to avoid death.  It really does scream "no gamer left behind!" when compared to things like EQ, DAoC, and (to a lesser extent than those two, but still significant) WoW.
    [Deleted User]

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    video games are not just for children but WoW is and has always been. Cant wait for this WoW shit to die down.

Sorry I just had to say it and I will stay out
    IselinFlyByKnight

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    Jonnyp2 said:
    I mean I'm excited to try it again, but I don't understand the idea that Classic WoW was somehow more difficult than the modern version.  From what I remember every class had a 3 button pve rotation, the raid mechanics were almost nonexistant until C'thun, and at least 75% of my server first guild backpedaled and clicked the majority of their abilities. 
    Everyone seems to have a different interpretation of what "difficult" means in a MMO, but for 100% sure the world of vanilla World of Warcraft was more dangerous.  If you wondered into a camp of troggs in Loch Modan without carefully measuring you're surroundings, you were probably destined for a dirt nap.
    Yes, I recall creating my first character in WOWs open beta, a level 8 or 9 night elf of some sort, and while on the starter island being frustrated at dying so much.  Wasn enough room to kite properly, kept backing into aggro or getting nailed by unexpected repops.

Later repops of elite mobs at in opportune times resulted in multiple run backs.

There was a degree of difficulty, and a whole lot more resting between fights if you were soloing, even with food and pots in your backpack.

[Deleted User]Steelhelm

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Jonnyp2 said:
    Yes, I recall creating my first character in WOWs open beta, a level 8 or 9 night elf of some sort, and while on the starter island being frustrated at dying so much.  Wasn enough room to kite properly, kept backing into aggro or getting nailed by unexpected repops.

Later repops of elite mobs at in opportune times resulted in multiple run backs.

There was a degree of difficulty, and a whole lot more resting between fights if you were soloing, even with food and pots in your backpack.

your first character was level 8 or 9? 

not following, you because I know it progresses so ....?

SEANMCAD said:
    video games are not just for children but WoW is and has always been. Cant wait for this WoW shit to die down.

This is such a hypocritical post, considering the mock affront you take when others go off tangent in your threads.

As I said before, DF player, makes perfect sense.

Nilden

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    Jonnyp2 said:

I thought you were staying out

SEANMCAD said:

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    Jonnyp2 said:

SEANMCAD said:

need help figuring it out? I am clearly not staying out, where is the confusion?

SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    Jonnyp2 said:

SEANMCAD said:

need help figuring it out? I am clearly not staying out, where is the confusion?
    LOL, as I said, clearly you are not "some people."
    [Deleted User]

edited November 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    Jonnyp2 said:

Naw, that was just a beta character, got to about 14 before he was wiped for launch.

Eventually leveled 5 characters to 60 and raided on two during the vanilla years.

edited November 2017
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    Jonnyp2 said:

What does this even mean?

ENGLISH, MUTHAF#&$@A, DO YOU SPEAK IT??

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    SEANMCAD said:
    laserit said:
    SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    Jonnyp2 said:

SEANMCAD said:

No help needed thank you ;)

Since your not staying out... Maybe you can explain how WoW is and always has been just for children.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    I raided during vanilla a lot but this time will be focusing on just gathering and crafting. I'm already starting to think of what class/profession combos I'll be doing and it's fun to think about.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]Nilden
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    I also have to admit that I can't wait for no more looms. And locks having to fight to get their pets. Oh oh and the old school talent system. Didn't they have skilling up in wow? Like you use an axe and gain axe skill etc?
    Albatroes said:
    I also have to admit that I can't wait for no more looms. And locks having to fight to get their pets. Oh oh and the old school talent system. Didn't they have skilling up in wow? Like you use an axe and gain axe skill etc?
    Yes, you trained weaponskills.  Believe it only affected to hit chance, not damage.
    [Deleted User]

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    SEANMCAD said:

You say this and then post several more times?  Can we take anything you say seriously?

:p
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    SEANMCAD said:

NildenKyleranSteelhelm
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Loke666 said:
    I think we can all agree that vanilla Wow did pretty good for itself in the 2 years it was out, no other MMO before or since had such a steep curve of gaining subscriptions after release.

Yes, many convinience things were not in there and while Blizz probably will add in a few like dungeonfinders (it would surprise me if they don't) many newer players will miss that.

Also, the difficulty and leveling speed will initially be a shock to many new people (and probablly many veteran gamers who either have forgotten or got out of shape as well) but I have a feeling that they will get over that soon.

The paradox is that after all Wow clones and Wow itselfs great success no current MMO actually offer this kind of gameplay. Vanilla Wow was one of the last games where the focus actually was the journey and not the endgame, particularly in the beginning. That changed when TBC came out though.

As long as Blizzard don't screw up and try to make it like current Wow but with vanillas setting I think they will do very well here.

Update the graphics, throw in a dungeonfinder as a token to new MMOers and I think they actually can keep a million subs on it or maybe even more.

They allready stated there wont be any convinience things, they are comited to recreating the exact expirience for better or for worse, everything else u said is on the money, now count in that when real Vanilla ended only 1% of the population actually entered Naxx40 (not talking about actually killin a boss) you know that real Vanilla could have been stretched for quite some time longer. Dungeonfinder would kill half of the reason people want Vanilla, wich is immersion.
    GdemamiSteelhelm

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

Kyleran said:
    Jonnyp2 said:

So what you are saying is that you were a noob? i had quite another experience, in beta i leveled my Night elf Druid to 24 or 25 and then i moved to Barrens and had so much fun killing Horde iwe stoped leveling on that char.
    Kyleran

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

Talonsin said:
    SEANMCAD said:

You say this and then post several more times?  Can we take anything you say seriously?

:p
    then dont

SEANMCAD said:

exactly!

now your getting it

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    DMKano just stop you are embarassing yourself, im actually laughing out loud when i read your comments...so bad.

Blizzard Activision is a publicly traded company - their motivation is seeing their stock price go up.

Its about money.

Are you that naive that you think they would waste any resources on projects that wont make them money?

lol

A publically traded billion+ dollar company is doing something to benefit a niche playerbase, because they are ..... nice?

heh

All your logic about WoW Classis in numerous threads were destroyed BADLY, you are repeating em every 2nd page, no1 ever said Blizzard is not a money hungry company, if you understood bussiness you would know that its not even in their hands any more, they did go public long long long long time ago.

I said this before, if it was up to them there would BE NO VANILLA SERVER, so now after 8years of saying NO they said YES, just to bring something that nobody wants back? sorry dude but as i said before your logic is dogbleep.

What is 100% going to happen is last Vanilla patch polished, and by that i mean they will change things that dont affect the gameplay in any way, just change the gamebrakeing things that just MAKE SENSE even for most hardcore Vanilla player. Ill give you a possible example a 30minute shield wall changed to 5 minutes?

You can keep trying to assert ur bad logic and nitpick all you want, but if you watch the announcement and read the interview like i asked you, you would have no more things to say.

You are completely not understanding - the reason why they said YES finally is because they figured out how to make Classic servers worth it their dev time and how to make money off it.

That is the ONLY reason why they are saying yes now.

My entire argument is that in order to make money of Classic - the servers won't be 100% Vanilla like you claim.

Nope - what they are going to actually DELIVER (regardless of what they are saying NOW) is going to be something a lot more appealing to masses other than purists who want 100% vanilla servers.

Did I make myself clear this time?

What board meeting did you sit in on at Blizz to get a clear understanding of what and what did not motivate Blizz execs to peruse this? 

Why are you on this crusade to crap all over this? There are a lot of people who want this including me, but clearly you are threatened by this move.

I wonder why.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    DMKano just stop you are embarassing yourself, im actually laughing out loud when i read your comments...so bad.

Blizzard Activision is a publicly traded company - their motivation is seeing their stock price go up.

Its about money.

Are you that naive that you think they would waste any resources on projects that wont make them money?

lol

A publically traded billion+ dollar company is doing something to benefit a niche playerbase, because they are ..... nice?

heh

All your logic about WoW Classis in numerous threads were destroyed BADLY, you are repeating em every 2nd page, no1 ever said Blizzard is not a money hungry company, if you understood bussiness you would know that its not even in their hands any more, they did go public long long long long time ago.

I said this before, if it was up to them there would BE NO VANILLA SERVER, so now after 8years of saying NO they said YES, just to bring something that nobody wants back? sorry dude but as i said before your logic is dogbleep.

What is 100% going to happen is last Vanilla patch polished, and by that i mean they will change things that dont affect the gameplay in any way, just change the gamebrakeing things that just MAKE SENSE even for most hardcore Vanilla player. Ill give you a possible example a 30minute shield wall changed to 5 minutes?

You can keep trying to assert ur bad logic and nitpick all you want, but if you watch the announcement and read the interview like i asked you, you would have no more things to say.

You are completely not understanding - the reason why they said YES finally is because they figured out how to make Classic servers worth it their dev time and how to make money off it.

That is the ONLY reason why they are saying yes now.

My entire argument is that in order to make money of Classic - the servers won't be 100% Vanilla like you claim.

Nope - what they are going to actually DELIVER (regardless of what they are saying NOW) is going to be something a lot more appealing to masses other than purists who want 100% vanilla servers.

Did I make myself clear this time?

What board meeting did you sit in on at Blizz to get a clear understanding of what and what did not motivate Blizz execs to peruse this? 

Why are you on this crusade to crap all over this? There are a lot of people who want this including me, but clearly you are threatened by this move.

I wonder why.
    He is not threathened by it, he just lost some ego by saying this wont ever happen over the years, so he is bashing it (badly) trying to recover some of it back.
    Gdemami