Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic Servers Announcement - World of Warcraft Game Trailer

123457»

Comments

• AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    edited November 2017
     I would expect Blizzard to have LFG/LFR and Multi-server, I would not expect things like ninja to be any more of a thing than it is today because of it. The days of policing your server or things limited to your server are over.
     Them bring Vanilla WoW back is great, but you have to expect it will have certain updates from todays version ...  

Azaron_NightbladeGnog
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    AreWeLive said:
     I would expect Blizzard to have LFG/LFR and Multi-server, I would not expect things like ninja to be any more of a thing than it is today because of it. The days of policing your server or things limited to your server are over.
     Them bring Vanilla WoW back is great, but you have to expect it will have certain updates from todays version ...  

They won't add LFG/LFR to the classic servers.  Those are fairly consistent complaints with current WoW by legacy players so it'd be really stupid for them to add those "features" to classic.  They'll probably stick with the method that was around at the time.  You could flag yourself as "Looking for Group" and anyone could search a zone to see who had that status and then message you asking if you wanted to join their group, etc.
    Yeah I highly doubt that they'll have LFG/LFR on the classic servers. That was one of the biggest convenience features ever added to the game.
    SteelhelmKyleran
  • SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    One icecream please! Pure vanilla! No flavors, please. :)
    [Deleted User]
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    How long til WoW is on consoles? Vanilla would seem a pretty decent candidate for it seeing as you didn't have so many skills to cycle through.
    [Deleted User]
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    Forgrimm said:
    AreWeLive said:

They won't add LFG/LFR to the classic servers.  Those are fairly consistent complaints with current WoW by legacy players so it'd be really stupid for them to add those "features" to classic.  They'll probably stick with the method that was around at the time.  You could flag yourself as "Looking for Group" and anyone could search a zone to see who had that status and then message you asking if you wanted to join their group, etc.
    Yeah I highly doubt that they'll have LFG/LFR on the classic servers. That was one of the biggest convenience features ever added to the game.
    That is going to be a contentious feature because I think there are a lot of people who like a lot about classic gameplay enjoy grouping tools and there are a lot who don't. 

Personally, I hope classic to them means a blend of "vanilla" through Wrath. Wrath was really my favorite period of play. I wonder what "classic" means to Blizzard. Does it mean early vanilla, late vanilla, and will that mean features and content from BC and Wrath? Classic can mean so much and even Vanilla had some different states.

Someone said they can't see less than a million players for classic "if it's done right". There are so many different groups of people that the singular phrase "if it's done right" is code for "if it meets my envisioned feature set". I think all of the indie retro mmo reboot studios are going to face a lot of that when they release as well. I hope people temper their expectations a bit for all of these releases.
    The dev mentioned those grouping systems as specifically items not included in vanilla. That one lead one to believe, logically, that Blizzard doesn't plan on including them.

• sschruppsschrupp Member UncommonPosts: 683
    edited November 2017
    Hopefully they don't go back all the way to the hours long queue times and then having to wait 10 minutes to loot corpses, all the while gliding around in the kneeling position. Good times!
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    DMKano said:
    mgilbrtsn said:
    DMKano said:
    Gdemami said:
    tawess said:
    @DMKano I am sure they have stated that the biggest issue is getting that old 2004 code to play nicely with the new server infrastructure
    It is not an issue, it is impossible.

To run a vanilla, they would need entirely separate infrastructure and database, something they are not going to do.

What seems to be their aim is to find a way how to integrate some later game version into current infrastructure and make changes from there - the Pristine realms they talked about in the past.
    Furhermore the auth/account platform integration has drastically changed since 2004.

Even if they stood up a separate 2004 DB with old world and auth servers - they wouldnt be able to pass the platform login tokens (battle.net session) to old 2004 code (not without major rework)

IMO thats the biggest hurdle which is why Blizzard wont be doing 100% authentic Vanilla WoW ever. Period.

It all depends on how the original coding was done.  If they were smart about it, and Blizzard is pretty smart, they kept excellent documentation and used a modular design framework to be able to isolate and 'fix' what needs fixing.

It will be a challenge for sure, but not impossible.  They have the resources.

The original code was not made to work with current iteration of Blizzards platform. 

Of course they could make it work - but at what cost and effort?

How the heck can we listen to the Beatles on CD's when it was originally analog and monotone on an LP.

BtW I still love the Beatles

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Asheram said:
    How long til WoW is on consoles? Vanilla would seem a pretty decent candidate for it seeing as you didn't have so many skills to cycle through.
    I'm pretty sure I had more skills on my bar in Vanilla than I do currently in Legion. After they merged skills and made certain skills only specific talent specs, it really pruned out most of the redundant skills. 

To the other people saying LFG and LFR won't be in, I'm with you in hopes it isn't, but I am super skeptical and I have a feeling it will be implemented. The reason they put it in was because people got tired of having to spam for groups all the time in chat. So people made an addon to find groups, which still exists for harder raid difficulties. If there isn't a group finder I'm sure people will just make another addon or use an existing one for that. 
  • LegendCarissoLegendCarisso Member UncommonPosts: 101
    Honestly, it's crap. Like a buddy of mine put it; "They make billions off of suing the private server community, and then are all like "Hehe, look at what the public wants... vanilla servers since we've shut down all the other ones!"

Scumbag move if you ask me, especially if you consider the fact that they KNEW people wanted those for YEARS, they KNEW people wanted them... but did nothing about it, and shimmied away at any legitimate explanations as to why the community was being ignored (READ: screwed over). Shame their actual game can't hold water anymore... expansion comes, people get on for a few days, their numbers drop, new announced expansion, repeat the cycle...

I've never played WoW and never will... doesn't mean I'm not observant though. Just my two cents...
    ConstantineMerusGdemami[Deleted User]
    Honestly, it's crap. Like a buddy of mine put it; "They make billions off of suing the private server community, and then are all like "Hehe, look at what the public wants... vanilla servers since we've shut down all the other ones!"

Scumbag move if you ask me, especially if you consider the fact that they KNEW people wanted those for YEARS, they KNEW people wanted them... but did nothing about it, and shimmied away at any legitimate explanations as to why the community was being ignored (READ: screwed over). Shame their actual game can't hold water anymore... expansion comes, people get on for a few days, their numbers drop, new announced expansion, repeat the cycle...

I've never played WoW and never will... doesn't mean I'm not observant though. Just my two cents...
    When exactly did they "make billions" off suing the private server community? lol
  • LegendCarissoLegendCarisso Member UncommonPosts: 101
    edited November 2017
    Forgrimm said:

When exactly did they "make billions" off suing the private server community? lol
    Ah... where to begin...

https://www.engadget.com/2010/08/16/blizzard-awarded-88m-from-wow-private-server-lawsuit/

And on a particularly unrelated-but-still-important-to-note... well... note...

https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/23/15034994/blizzard-mods-bnetd-org-lawsuit-world-of-warcarft

I'll dig up more, but yeah.... shutting down private servers, suing the fudge out of them? Pretty much standard practice which is why I think the movement to make a "vanilla" server after CLEARLY getting the message "Hey, people want these. If you ain't gonna provide it, we'll make it ourselves" is scumbaggery. Again, they KNEW people wanted these things.... instead of immediately working with their community to make something people wanted, they instead sicked the J-Team on them instead, milking every last penny they could. I mean hell...

https://www.polygon.com/2016/4/26/11509870/blizzard-world-of-warcraft-nostalrius-server-vanilla-wow-official

Canned responses atop of their refusal to do it in the first place? That's just disgusting, which is precisely why I'll never touch the game with a 10ft. barge pole. Of course I'm expecting this "legacy" server to be anything but vanilla though.

EDIT: Put it another way; had they listened to their community and just DONE it instead of being lazy about it... there more-than-likely would have been no NEED for private servers in the first place. Obviously they knew what they were doing. Nothing says free capital like filing grievances.
    Gdemami
    Forgrimm said:

Ah... where to begin...

https://www.engadget.com/2010/08/16/blizzard-awarded-88m-from-wow-private-server-lawsuit/

And on a particularly unrelated-but-still-important-to-note... well... note...

https://www.polygon.com/2017/3/23/15034994/blizzard-mods-bnetd-org-lawsuit-world-of-warcarft

I'll dig up more, but yeah.... shutting down private servers, suing the fudge out of them? Pretty much standard practice which is why I think the movement to make a "vanilla" server after CLEARLY getting the message "Hey, people want these. If you ain't gonna provide it, we'll make it ourselves" is scumbaggery. Again, they KNEW people wanted these things.... instead of immediately working with their community to make something people wanted, they instead sicked the J-Team on them instead, milking every last penny they could. I mean hell...

https://www.polygon.com/2016/4/26/11509870/blizzard-world-of-warcraft-nostalrius-server-vanilla-wow-official

Canned responses atop of their refusal to do it in the first place? That's just disgusting, which is precisely why I'll never touch the game with a 10ft. barge pole. Of course I'm expecting this "legacy" server to be anything but vanilla though.

EDIT: Put it another way; had they listened to their community and just DONE it instead of being lazy about it... there more-than-likely would have been no NEED for private servers in the first place. Obviously they knew what they were doing. Nothing says free capital like filing grievances.
    That was one 88 million dollar judgment, of which they've probably never seen a dime. And the only reason they went after that particular server was because the owner was making a lot of money from micro-transactions. If you spent a lot of money, time, and resources developing something, and then someone stole it and started profiting off it, would you not take action?
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    AreWeLive said:

It's interesting that you brought this up.

Version 1.12 is probably the last version of Vanilla WOW and it introduced the cross realm battlegrounds for the first time.

The first version of TBC (2.0.1) actually was released on vanilla servers right before the official expansion launch and a case could be made to go with that version. 

If so, it introduced the LFG tool for the first time.

It will be interesting to see what Blizzard ultimately comes up with for their definition of "classic"

Anyone know what patch release version most of the popular vanilla servers use?

[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon