Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny 2 - Was a Sequel a Mistake? - MMORPG.com

Comments

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    Destiny 2 is a great game. LOL in who`s opinion? the OP is bi est.
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    So now I've actually played D2, I really, REALLY don't get how anybody can still call it an MMO and keep a straight face. The only place I've seen more than 8 players at once is in the social hubs. And even if the "open world zones" double that it still no where near MMO status.

Games that are more MMO than D2:

PUBG - 100 player zones.
    All the counterstrikes - 32-64 player servers.
    Minecraft - dozens of players can be on one server if it's sized right. 
    Even SWL, which dropped MMO it's status, has better players per zone capacity and a way better social hub cap.
    Hell even the MOBAs and  Overwatch can do 10 in PVP.

Plus all the real MMOs.

What it is - an Online Multiplayer story-driven FPS with RPG elements, no Massively involved. 
    klash2def
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Loke666 said:

Shaigh said:

Loke666 said:

A misstake is probably the wrong word but I think they released the sequel 2 years too early... As Kano said do they earn lots of cash on it but they would have earned at least as much with a 2019 release which also would have allowed them to make the graphics rather better making it feels less like an expansion.

Expect destiny 3 in 2020, that can't happen if you waited until 2019 to release destiny 2.

Yeah, I think it would be smarter to wait a little longer with the sequels. Just look at Blizzard, they know how to maximize profits and being too much hurry with a sequel will hurt earnings somewhat. Then again, Blizzard have far more successful IPs so I can understand why Bungie did what they did.
    Activision has the exclusive rights to publish Destiny, its activision that pays Bungie to make the games. Bungie own the IP but they depend on activision to make these games.

Activision knows its marketing that will eventually sell these games and just like what they do with CoD the strategy is to release as many as possible while marketing the crap out of them.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    i bought D2 out of hype as well, i never play the game past 10 hours since i bought the game.

i really liked D1, but then like everyone else said, it's just pretty much the same game with different world and loots.

So What Now?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited November 2017
    Siris23 said:
    So now I've actually played D2, I really, REALLY don't get how anybody can still call it an MMO and keep a straight face. The only place I've seen more than 8 players at once is in the social hubs. And even if the "open world zones" double that it still no where near MMO status.

PUBG - 100 player zones.
    Even SWL, which dropped MMO it's status, has better players per zone capacity and a way better social hub cap.

Plus all the real MMOs.

What it is - an Online Multiplayer story-driven FPS with RPG elements, no Massively involved. 
    As far as I'm aware no one considers the game an MMO.
    http://www.mmorpg.com/games-list
    FDestiny MMOFPS
    FDestiny 2 MMOFPS

From this very article:
    But the danger of taking an MMO and giving it a direct sequel is that you’re sacrificing all that older content to the garbage bin.

Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    It's probably the only way they could include the PC players, since they wouldnt have to try and port all the old content. I dont blame them for trying to capture that portion of the market, it seems strangely light on the PC side of things outside of warframe, and even then, as much as I enjoy warframe, it definitely feels like a different game than destiny.
  • peanutabcpeanutabc Member UncommonPosts: 176
    edited November 2017
    Destiny is just a terrible way to handle a game, people suck that stuff up though and think spending over £120 on a complete game that is irrelevant in just 3 years is good (10 year plan btw LOL)

No one with any common sense should've bought Destiny 2 after any amount of research of the first game.

£50-60 initial purchase, £20-30 season pass. An expectation of 2 or 3 more "expansions" costing a further £20-40 each.

all while being 3-6months apart from one another and having only a few hours of content each.

It's a disgrace.

The only way purchasing a destiny game is value for money is picking up the collection package at the end of the games life for £30 as you have all the content what everyone else got ripped off for.

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Torval said:
    Siris23 said:

PUBG - 100 player zones.

Plus all the real MMOs.

It doesn't have to "be an mmo" to feel like one. It feels a lot like one and if they built out the social features better it would feel almost exactly like one.

Secret World Legends isn't an mmo anymore either, but it feels and plays like one. It's not like anyone playing these games gets tripped up over that stuff.
    the problem is that can be argued about every single private server MP game (well many anyway).

there is a finite number of people you can realistically socialize and be aware of in general so if a server has 100 people its going to 'feel' like an MMO.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

edited November 2017
    Torval said:
    Maybe, I made an edit to the previous post to say that something that meets the definition, or is "more MMO" (if that's even a thing) doesn't matter. The look and feel of gameplay trumps that technical definition.
    a more concrete example of what I am talking about. There was a server for Neverwinter Nights 1 (2002?), it was a popular private server, I played on it often. It 'felt' like an MMO.

I have heard people describe popular servers for empyrion galactic survival to feel like an MMO as well.

so do we call those MMOs as well? or do we have to wait for a AAA company to let us know if we can?

Rhoklaw said:
    DMKano said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    First mistake was calling Destiny 1 an MMO. Second mistake was continuing on with your first mistake.

The devs didnt call it a mmo. 
    Than I guess this comment must be for everyone that does refer to it as an MMO.
    its also a standard technique.
    get a journalist to say it or hint at it and then deny having said it if the public doesnt go for it.

standard stuff really

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

DAOWAce said:

I'd rather have the complete Destiny 1 game on PC than the barebones "buy our season pass" trash called Destiny 2.

Regret my purchase entirely.

Destiny 1 started out exactly the same. If you want a complete edition that costs less you'll have to wait.. just like everyone had to with D1.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Maybe, I made an edit to the previous post to say that something that meets the definition, or is "more MMO" (if that's even a thing) doesn't matter. The look and feel of gameplay trumps that technical definition.
    And that is a very personal and subjective thing that has a lot to do with how a player plays MMOs. Heck if you solo a lot in MMOs, large single player RPGs can also feel like an MMO.

If the only kind of PVP someone plays in MMOs are small scale quick scenarios (which I personally dislike) and the only kind of PVE they do is queue for group dungeons while standing around in some convenient hub, I can see how small scale lobby games like Destiny 2 or ARPGs like POE might feel like MMOs to them.

But if you play large scale persistent PVP that is never ending and can handle 300 players, or your idea of PVE is exploring and questing in a humongous world where you can run into literally hundreds of others doing their own things every day while you do it, it would never feel like an MMO.

That's why talking about how it feels is of limited value and it kind of reminds me of some very funny videos I've seen where blindfolded people are asked to feel butts and guess whether it's a woman's or man's. They get it wrong more often than not :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DarkswormDarksworm Member RarePosts: 1,081
    edited November 2017
    If you don't plan to PvP a lot, then don't buy Destiny 2.

If you spend money on it expecting WoW with guns, that's just stupidity in action at this point.  Everyone knows what Destiny is about at this point.

Wonder how long before they start having eSports PvP tournaments for it :-P
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I haven't done any PvP and I'm having a great time.  Lots of short and long quests.  Easy to move around the universe and planets, with decent wayports and vehicles.  Nice inventory not difficult to manage.  Downloaded an app today that shows me what every character has in his inventory and whats in the vault.  I can use it to move swap-able items between characters and the vault on the fly.  I will try out PvP later to see if I like it or not.  But for now I'm having fun and don't really care what they call it and haven't spent a penny in the cash shop because the drops and rewards have been decent.  Been playing it everyday since it came out on PC and so far it hasn't gotten old.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    edited November 2017
    Their core fan base does not care, so no.

To me, as someone with tons of online game experience....absolutely. I'm not who this is aimed at though. Destiny has way more FPS than MMO players. For me this should have been an expansion of some sort, because it is literally exactly the same game.
  • viddiotviddiot Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I worked hard on D1, and would love to see some of my hard work in D2.
    Think Guild wars 2. Could have a sort of Hall Of Heroes.
    Octagon7711
  • jojotheduckjojotheduck Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I never played D1 because I hate console FPS', so D2 is basically a new game to me. I've been playing since launch and I still have fun playing it. It's a little short on content but if you're playing with friends it's still fun (I do get a little bored playing alone though). Only thing I really hate is the lack of communication tools.
    Phry
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Torval said:
    Iselin said:
    Torval said:
    And that is a very personal and subjective thing that has a lot to do with how a player plays MMOs. Heck if you solo a lot in MMOs, large single player RPGs can also feel like an MMO.

If the only kind of PVP someone plays in MMOs are small scale quick scenarios (which I personally dislike) and the only kind of PVE they do is queue for group dungeons while standing around in some convenient hub, I can see how small scale lobby games like Destiny 2 or ARPGs like POE might feel like MMOs to them.

But if you play large scale persistent PVP that is never ending and can handle 300 players, or your idea of PVE is exploring and questing in a humongous world where you can run into literally hundreds of others doing their own things every day while you do it, it would never feel like an MMO.

That's why talking about how it feels is of limited value and it kind of reminds me of some very funny videos I've seen where blindfolded people are asked to feel butts and guess whether it's a woman's or man's. They get it wrong more often than not :)
    When I was playing ESO and Dragon's Dogma a lot at the same time I would sometimes forget that none of the townies in DDDA were real people. A couple of the towns had a very vibrant feel to them and felt like an MMO hub with real people.

It is subjective. How it feels matters to me, but it's not the only consideration. It's part of the whole feature list. Different features matter more or less to me depending on the game.
    Yeah I got the same vibe from Dragon Age Inquisition and even the much maligned ME: Andromeda as well as Dragon's Dogma.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    I'll grab it in six to eight months. Games are mostly shallow these days at launch, so unless you feel the urge to grab the new shinies, it's best to wait. I do realize patience is not something so practiced anymore.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    How can you run an mmo site and feel good calling destiny an mmo? It's not.
    forcelima
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

Rhoklaw said:

First mistake was calling Destiny 1 an MMO. Second mistake was continuing on with your first mistake.

It's bill here at mmorpg.com calling it an mmo even though it doesn't even remotely offer mmo gameplay. I stopped after completing the main quest and some of the extras at 260 something. And not once did I see more than 8 players at a time. Maybe the hubs had like... 24?

• some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    When you already have two expansions announced and "almost" ready only few months after launch you are not releasing a game short on content, you are releasing a game in three steps so that you can sell it for 150$ instead of the USUAL 60$.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Dareberry said:

I feel like i am wasted 60$ on this game, it was very nice at first two days, then content suddenly over and i am forced to do same shit over and over again. Game is very unfriendly to those, who play alone, without instruments to communicate you are unable to do a late game content.. Items are very repetitive, feel of using the gun is very unpleasant on pc, i compare it to Overwatch, where i feel very satisfied of how weapons behave. So now i am stuck in grind at D2 and when i am trying to switch to Crucible i understand that i have better pvp experience playing Overwatch. This game is very overpriced, so don't do my mistake guys...

I can't understand the comparison to Overwatch. A $40 game with almost no content. I can understand how some people like the head shot hit boxes the size of moon balls and enemy highlighting, but for me Destiny 2's combat is very satisfying and 100% preferable. The near non-existent death penalty and very linear missions I'm not a fan of.
    Milkado90
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

DAOWAce said:

I'd rather have the complete Destiny 1 game on PC than the barebones "buy our season pass" trash called Destiny 2.

Regret my purchase entirely.

How much did the complete Destiny 1 cost with all it's expansions on release? Or were you just hoping to get all that stuff for free? I'm pretty sure everyone would prefer that.
    [Deleted User]