Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good, tactical WW2 games?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
Hey guys, are there any really good, tactical WW2 (or even WW1) games available?  Especially on Steam.  I mean where you control troops, either medium or large scale.  Thanks!

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I checked out Hearts of Iron IV on YouTube and it looked wayyyyyyy too complex.  =/
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    Company of Heroes 1 and and 2 are good choices.
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I checked out Hearts of Iron IV on YouTube and it looked wayyyyyyy too complex.  =/
    All of the Hearts of Iron series are much more operational / strategic than tactical.  Let me look around for something that's more WW2 tactical.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Its isnt WWII or medium scale but the newest XCOM and XCOM-2 series are very fun.  Turn based and control up to 6 people fighting off aliens with all kinds of crazy stuff. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Close Combat series is nice, just make sure you get a Windows10 version. 
    Steel Division : Normandy 44, it has a steep learning curve, especially in vs multiplayer.

CoH 1&2 has been mentioned. I know it's a RTS, it's fun but it lacks depth.

• dreamsfadedreamsfade Member UncommonPosts: 339
    1. Company of Heroes
    2. Hearts of Iron
    3. Men of War
    4. Sudden Strike
    5. Theatre of War
    6. Assault Squad 2
    7. Order of War
    8. Blitzkrieg: Complete Collection

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Not knowing exactly what you're looking for, the games that appear to match your criteria might be Panzer Corps (similar to many older board games) or possibly the Steel Division.  Steam's tag system is beyond abysmal, but give a try to Browse by Tags : Wargame.  (In Steam, click on Show all tags in the menu, then scroll through numerous tags to look around).

Basically, a strategic game deals with some degree of high-level organization (army, corps, divisions or brigades) as the detail level.  Grand strategy is strategy plus extra elements like politics, research, espionage and supply (strategy + operational). Tactical focuses on the smaller scale controlling individual tanks and squads at a time.  Steam (and many developers) don't use the tactical, strategic and operational terms like the old board games, and certainly not consistently.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Call of Duty: WW2!

Just kidding. Company of Heroes was always my favorite.
  • DEXA88DEXA88 Member UncommonPosts: 175
    Hey guys, are there any really good, tactical WW2 (or even WW1) games available?  Especially on Steam.  I mean where you control troops, either medium or large scale.  Thanks!
    Old time game called soldiers at war :)
  • OtachOtach Member UncommonPosts: 74
    edited November 2017
    I would definitely recommend you check out Day of Infamy. You really shouldn't pass this one up if you're a fan of competitive FPS in WW 2 style. Only downsides are, you tend to play the same maps you've played before, after you get used to it, but that is a weakness that almost all FPS have.

It's good and pretty affordable, plenty of people play it on the daily. Also, it's pretty much a multiplayer game so be prepared. It can also be kinda difficult, so be prepared for that too. Very fun tho.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Thanks, guys!
  • AUNE2018AUNE2018 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Doesn't Wargame have WWII?
    reybear
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Might not be exactly what you are looking for but for a "not" world war type strategy game that's different, it's excellent:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/Valkyria_Chronicles/
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.