Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic Servers Announcement - World of Warcraft Game Trailer

Comments

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:
    Nilden said:
    Konfess said:

Arskaaa said:

"to play in classic server u need pay extra 15-30€ each month"

Why? Did you expect it would be FREE?

The ONLY reason Vanilla WoW servers were a hit, is because they were FREE. They said they wanted Vanilla, but what they meant was FREE. I hope there ARE paying customers that will keep this afloat. "Thar she blows!"

"Thar be Whales here!"
    Actually the only reason I played on private servers was because Blizzard did not offer official ones. Now that they will it's going to kill the private servers. People don't play a 13 year old game just because it's free.

They don't - that's not the only reason. However slap a $15+ monthly cost and suddenly guess what - a lot less people are willing to play.

Cost makes a difference - always.

Are you saying this is what you would do?  Or is this more what those other people would do...
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• GnogGnog Member UncommonPosts: 19

DMKano said:

For anyone expecting this to be 100% authentic vanilla WoW - you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

This will be Blizzards version of what they deem "classic" so set your expectations straight

Maybe. And I suppose we should assume they'll get it wrong. They're the ones who took Vanilla away, after all.
    Gdemami
  • CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Gnog said:

DMKano said:

For anyone expecting this to be 100% authentic vanilla WoW - you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

This will be Blizzards version of what they deem "classic" so set your expectations straight

Maybe. And I suppose we should assume they'll get it wrong. They're the ones who took Vanilla away, after all.
    Yeah, heaven forbid they move forward with the game. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited November 2017
    Celcius said:
    Gnog said:

DMKano said:

Lol they have been and are continuing to do so.  What are you talking about?  You seem to be more salty than skeptical.
    Gdemami

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Celcius said:
    Gnog said:

DMKano said:

Is there anything wrong with wanting to play the classic version?

I mean what if people said the only reason I wanted to play Super Mario Bros was because of nostalgia or because I could get it for free with an emulator? Does Super Mario Bros 3 somehow invalidate it or how about Super Mario Odyssey?

I enjoy the game. Stop hating bros.
    GdemamiSteelhelm

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

edited November 2017
    Personally I am salty. I don't care. I think people who want Vanilla servers don't actually realize it is not want they want in the long term. The reality is closer to them wanting to play a game that simply does not exist anymore and will not exist since that was also a moment in time that does not exist anymore. Does not matter if they reproduce the same content that was in the game, everything else has changed. Games are just...better now. Skepticism would imply that I have some doubt, and that  I am still somewhat leaning towards maybe it will be okay. I am 110% sure that it won't be and that  people won't get what they want; then continue to whine about it while they play on illegal servers. 

I would rather they spend the money on going after all the private servers ;P 
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]deniterXarkoSteelhelm
    Celcius said:
    Personally I am salty. I don't care. I think people who want Vanilla servers don't actually realize it is not want they want in the long term. The reality is closer to them wanting to play a game that simply does not exist anymore and will not exist since that was also a moment in time that does not exist anymore. Does not matter if they reproduce the same content that was in the game, everything else has changed. Games are just...better now. 
    Your first mistake was attempting to tell others what they like.
    [Deleted User]deniterforcelimaSteelhelmAvarix

edited November 2017
    That would be a mistake if I was wrong. Which I am not. Rose tinted glasses are clouding people's vision. 
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]deniterforcelimaSteelhelm
    edited November 2017
    No Man Sky had a lot of hype going into it as well ;) There is also PLENTY of negativity towards it. Look at this thread. Look at comments other then ones who agree with you. Look at the thread with over 50k posts on reddit. 
    edited November 2017
    Celcius said:
    No Man Sky had a lot of hype going into it as well ;) 
    Ahh, so you're banking on Blizzard completely misleading their player base into what they plan on releasing, right up until they actually release it, to prove you're right.

You'll have to excuse some of us if we don't put a lot of faith in that position.
    forcelimaGdemamiSteelhelm

Celcius said:
    Ahh, so you're banking on Blizzard completely misleading their player base into what they plan on releasing, right up until they actually release it, to prove you're right.

You'll have to excuse some of us if we don't put a lot of faith in that position.
    No, I am banking on players drawing conclusions and creating their own expectations ;) 
    MadFrenchieGdemami
    Celcius said:
    Celcius said:

No, I am banking on players drawing conclusions and creating their own expectations ;) 
    I understand that perspective.  Players always do.  But, Blizzard will likely communicate planned specifics as soon as they have them nailed down.  It's not really comparable to the NMS situation (at least, yet).
    Gdemami

• GnogGnog Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Celcius said:
    That would be a mistake if I was wrong. Which I am not. Rose tinted glasses are clouding people's vision. 
    You realize there are more than 100,000 active accounts on a single private Vanilla server, with players who continue to play Vanilla to this day . . .  It's a different game than modern WoW, and some of us prefer the classic version.  Like so many others, I played Vanilla WoW for years and still didn't finish everything I wanted to finish.  There are still classes I would have liked to play.  There is at least 2 years of content for me just in Vanilla, and another year or two in TBC.  By contrast, I find the current version of WoW completely unplayable.  I unsubscribed and will not re-subscribe until Classic is released.  You should consider the possibility that other human beings have different thoughts than the ones you have when presented with the same information. 

[Deleted User]GdemamiSteelhelm
    edited November 2017
    Gnog said:
    Celcius said:
    You realize there are more than 100,000 active accounts on a single private Vanilla server, with players who continue to play Vanilla to this day . . .  It's a different game than modern WoW, and some of us prefer the classic version.  Like so many others, I played Vanilla WoW for years and still didn't finish everything I wanted to finish.  There are still classes I would have liked to play.  There is at least 2 years of content for me just in Vanilla, and another year or two in TBC.  By contrast, I find the current version of WoW completely unplayable.  I unsubscribed and will not re-subscribe until Classic is released.  You should consider the possibility that other human beings have different thoughts than the ones you have when presented with the same information. 

And how many of those 100,000 "active" accounts are people who are paying money to access that illegal server? ;)  
    Gnog
  • fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    DMKano said:

I think that will be part of the draw/problem ....

I think Blizzard will get the game as close to Vanilla as they can.... so when you got no mount till 40 and got to run everywhere... no BG instant queues....

Then when people start bitching..... they will say... "you wanted vanilla"

• MaleklumMaleklum Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Talk about beating a dead horse.
  • AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    imagine, they have the power to create a new story line much different from the current one...it all starts in vanilla WoW, where does it go from there...they could reinvent a whole new direction with the game and actually end up with two separate story lines, the current and the new...doubt it will happen, but it could =)
    Coatedbartoni33
  • CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507
    Vanilla is going to be far, far more popular than people here are even considering. It will be much, much more populated than those private servers. I'm laughing right now at the people who think this is nostalgia.

I honestly would not be surprised that Vanilla WoW got so popular, that they start creating expansions for it. Almost like an alternate reality or separate time line type of deal. Except this time (Hopefully) they do it right. Ok, that is wishful thinking, but the vanilla WOW servers are going to be very popular.
    GdemamiBruceYeedeniterBranko2307Steelhelmbartoni33Avarix
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Coated said:
    Vanilla is going to be far, far more popular than people here are even considering. It will be much, much more populated than those private servers. I'm laughing right now at the people who think this is nostalgia.

I honestly would not be surprised that Vanilla WoW got so popular, that they start creating expansions for it. Almost like an alternate reality or separate time line type of deal. Except this time (Hopefully) they do it right. Ok, that is wishful thinking, but the vanilla WOW servers are going to be very popular.
    Or maybe WoW 2 with vanilla WoW features and gameplay. I don't think vanilla servers done right will have fewer than 1 mil players.
    Gdemami
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    BruceYee said:
    I'm just hope they don't use the new character models.
    I hope they give us the option of old and new like they do in current WoW.  I'd personally prefer the new graphics, but I hope players like you have the option to change it to the classic look.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User]
  • kinkyJalepenokinkyJalepeno Member UncommonPosts: 1,044

DMKano said:

Ok so where is your source for this or are you also just farting in the breeze like everyone else in here?

On topic: Having never played WoW I might give this a whirl since I have no MMO home right now.
    SteelhelmKyleran
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited November 2017
    Ok so where is your source for this
    Vanilla version of the game is not compatible with their current infrastructure thus likely they will run a classic server as some later itteration and make adjustments from there.
  • A.BlacklochA.Blackloch Member UncommonPosts: 842
    Oh wow. Well this got me excited. I wonder how far that actually is?
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Gotta admit I was surprised to see them doing this.
    I guess Blizzard wants those fortunes that nostalgiacs with deep pockets are throwing blindly at any Kickstarter game that promises old school these day :D

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited November 2017
    Just little tip for anyone going to play. If blizzard brings in the warlord system, if they are Battlegrounds with a queue system. All have to do join a server that your out number from other faction then get instant queues. Then can hit high warlord if you play a tons will take a bit making more honor or as much honor as a premade groups, and you don't have keep winning as long the queue are short. Pretty much no skill needed how broken faction are.