Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The easy decision to create Classic servers was just the beginning

Comments

• GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Siris23 said:

Don't worry, the raiding overlords will dominate pvp one shotting all non-raiders with ease if I remember my vanilla correctly.
    There were also pvp rewards, and of course going for the pvp rewards and titles such as the high warlord title and gear. Anyone putting the time and effort in like that deserves an advantage, something for their time.

It wasn't as dramatic as you make it out to be. You will of course get totally rekt if you couldn't use escapes and stuns etc properly though. More so than current wow for sure.
    Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Asheram said:
    I am quoting you on another forum Kyloren, I hope you don't mind I like what you wrote.
    As long as my quote isn't prefaced with "look what this idiot wrote" no, I don't mind.

;)
    ConstantineMerusAsheram

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I hope there are TBC servers myself, that was the greatest expansion of any game to date, what I would love actually is a server where TBC+Vanilla was all scaled to level 70 or 60
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    edited November 2017
    I suspect we will see WoW the day or month before The Burning Crusade January 2007.  Not WoW from the day of launch.  I think everyone should agree that is Vanilla WoW.  This talk about content from expansion packs after that is not vanilla.  If we are being honest.

I would think all BUGS will be addressed, not sure about class problems and imbalance.  If any of them are wanted features by the player base, they may remain.  One player's imbalance is another's favorite exploit / feature.

@Kyleran, I expect the same to happen with vanilla WoW as did the DAoC servers.  Packed for the first month, then dwindle down as the nostalgia wears off.  As I always say, WoW already has the extent of the paying customer base already playing the current game.  Maybe a few will come back, and surely those who never saw WoW back in 2006 will show up to see what all the fuss was about.  Only if it retains high numbers for and entire year and like they hope grows, will it possible continue to another expansion.  This may be the only version, and possible a short lived one at that.  I still think the Only thing the private server crowds want is to Play 4 Free.  They are not lying to me, I wont believe a word they say, they are only lying to themselves.
    Post edited by Konfess on

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    edited November 2017
    Kyleran said:

It will be very interesting to see what decisions Blizzard makes in deciding exactly how true to their roots this version stays, because as others have noted, it will get stale pretty quickly if they launch a single point version and then let it stay stagnant on that single point in time.   In the DAOC classic servers, it started out strong with a packed 4000 person server, by July fewer than 500 were online at any one time during US hours.
    Not that this indicates anything about WoW Classic... but you and I had very different expereinces of DAoC classic servers.  The Classic servers were turned into the classic cluster, which was still over 4000 players every single night.  Considering the numbers were on Camelot Herald this isn't something someone could miss who was there actively playing.   If you didn't play after the Classic's were merged or clustered then I can see where the 500 number came from.  The server I was on never got that low pre-cluster but I know the others did.  I believe there was a total of three Classics... pre-cluster.

*edit to add*  The Servers were:  Ector, Lamorak and Gareth.  I played on Gareth from classic launch until it was shoved backed into TOA.  *end edit*

The TOA Super Cluster was half the population of the Classic Cluster and eventually Mythic decided to merge classic back into TOA so that the TOA people had someone to play with.  While those of us playing Classic had plenty of people to play with and this was why I left DAoC for good.  Obviously I had left the TOA servers because I didn't want to play TOA... I always found it strange that the larger population classic was forced back into TOA due to it's low populaiton when they obviously didn't want to play it.

So DAoC likely isn't the best example simply because if DAoC classic happened in WoW... the classic would have a higher population than non classic.... which I honestly do not see happening.

*edited for some really odd syntax*
  • BrunlinBrunlin Member UncommonPosts: 79
    kchisarik said:
    from what I have seen in EQ people think they want classic, until they get classic. They need to make them progress at a minimum. IMHO
    Actually on the Eq progression servers, they are really not classic. You go back to the beginning but with all the quality life improvements added to the game. Such as no corpse runs, xp is faster than it originally was, combat is handled the same as it is on the live servers and not really rolled back to the way it was, etc..etc

So the question is....will WOW roll back to vanilla but with all the quality of life improvements or will it be vanilla in a vacuum separate from the live servers? I actually hope its the later.

If at first you don’t succeed, call it version 1.0

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Kyleran said:
    Asheram said:
    I am quoting you on another forum Kyloren, I hope you don't mind I like what you wrote.
    As long as my quote isn't prefaced with "look what this idiot wrote" no, I don't mind.

;)
    Its the crpg mod for warband forums just so you know.  :D
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Albatroes said:
    I do wonder how this will impact future "old school" throw back titles like Pantheon. Of course it heavily depends on how Blizzard decides to deal with classic since there's no real information on it. But one does have to wonder...
    Wow isn't old-school. Usually at least people mean anything released 2003 or earlier as oldschool.

Pantheon would be more hurt by a remake or HD version of classic EQ. 

No natter what way Blizz will go with the vanilla servers I don't see them getting to make them more oldschool then they initially were, the opposite is way more likely.

It is mainly the illegal servers that will take a hit from this, there is really no game close to vanilla Wow right now and nothing in the making either. Almost all newer games including current Wow is was faster, easier and more solofocused. Earlier games still around is not like that either (most of them have changed a lot in wierd directions but even games before 2004 was not really like Wow.

I assume Blizz will earn plenty of cash on it in either case, that is what they do after all.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Often what we see with nostalgia is that it sounds great in theory, but when it is time for people to pay for it they tend to back away.
  • HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    edited November 2017
    I just don't see how it will be fun or exciting in the long run unless they rebuild the bosses and how to beat them. All the information on how to beat them is out there. No learning. Granted it was that way in the past to an extent. It was more of a matter of getting good leadership. Usually a small core of people to farm  consumables. Then enough people who had the free time to show up, listen to instructions and work together. We personally didn't run with anyone in reserves. We didn't want people to feel left out. Which was also a big problem for raids guilds. Even if a person said that they were ok with waiting eventually they would get disappointed.  To me it's a case of rose tinted glasses. Very few raid guilds on any server at the time were letting druids run feral or moonkin  builds in raids. All most guilds wanted was innervate. Forums were exploding with  outrage about innervate! I was lucky with my experience. It was nothing like that. The 2-3 druids in our guild including me got to run feral or moonkin whenever we wanted.   We even got to roll on dps gear if no one needed something.  Pretty cool.  Not sure if Vanilla could recreate that experience for me personally but I understand and see why people want it.
  • LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    It doesn't really matter to me which flavor of vanilla we get. If it's a progression server, that's great. My bets are on raid teirs releasing on schedules, battlegrounds in from the start, a bunch of quality of life improvements, possibly some talent tree re-works to make certain specs viable, and hopefully, hopefulllllllllly, they'll be using their updated visual engine. Really, if that was the only change, I'd be fine with it.

Regardless, I've been playing a lot on Light's Hope the last few days, and it's as active as ever. There are definitely two strong camps that exist right now: those who are thrilled Blizzard got the message, and those who are either skeptical or still hold grudges. The only thing I'm worried about is the monetization. Will it be a F2P style release that requires me to purchase bag slots or other convenience items (non-cosmetic)? Or will it be a server included in their subscription fee, because if that's the case, I'd be more than willing to shell out for the new expansion just to try it.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Siris23 said:

Don't worry, the raiding overlords will dominate pvp one shotting all non-raiders with ease if I remember my vanilla correctly.
    There were also pvp rewards, and of course going for the pvp rewards and titles such as the high warlord title and gear. Anyone putting the time and effort in like that deserves an advantage, something for their time.

It wasn't as dramatic as you make it out to be. You will of course get totally rekt if you couldn't use escapes and stuns etc properly though. More so than current wow for sure.
    Ah, yes the pvp rewards. Pvp 40 hours a week you may get a couple of blues, you want those purps though welcome to the 24/7 pvp grind fest. Oh and you still may not get them depending on how man other people are doing the 24/7 grind. Oh and the best pvp gear you could get was generally slightly worse than tier 1.

There was a reason BC introduced resilience and pvp gear tiers.
  • GravebladeGraveblade Member UncommonPosts: 547
    Siris23 said:
    Siris23 said:

Ah, yes the pvp rewards. Pvp 40 hours a week you may get a couple of blues, you want those purps though welcome to the 24/7 pvp grind fest. Oh and you still may not get them depending on how man other people are doing the 24/7 grind. Oh and the best pvp gear you could get was generally slightly worse than tier 1.

And here-in begins the dumbing down of the game...

I would not choose to change someones personality because select group or groups of people didn't like some things and thought the traits were flaws. You see what I'm getting at with this analogy?

Sometimes for something to be great, it also has things that might be considered a 'flaw' and disliked by many people due to different reasons, such as casuals not being able to obtain high warlord because too much time, too difficult, too much competition.

Sometimes even when the people cry, they should just all be given tissues and told it is ok... and to gt gud. 
    Branko2307Kyleran
    Started playing mmorpg's in 1996 and have been hooked ever since. It began with Kingdom of Drakkar, Ultima Online, Everquest, DAoC, WoW...
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    I've never played WoW. A few months after SWG released I quit all gaming until LOTRO released. I was burnt out.

So I'm looking forward to giving vanilla/early WoW a shot.

• HulluckHulluck Member UncommonPosts: 839
    edited November 2017
    Siris23 said:
    Siris23 said:

actually I have to agree. It was pretty dang bad.  While I didn't pvp a lot. PVP gear compared to tier gear was an issue. People bitched about that constantly. Raid gear for most classes was far better. It was most certainly a hot topic on the forums and among pvp'ers. That they felt neglected. Not nearly as bad as the Innervate uproar however. Also what I didn't like about pvp was that getting whatever that top rank was. It was very much player controlled on my server who got it. Essentially a line. But I guess that went along with the social aspect of the game. You had to have good social skills and standing with whatever players controlled that content. That's on top of a being good at pvp. Only one player could get that rank per side at a time to purchase it. What was the ranking, on a weekly timer or something?

That said, I guess that's what made the top rank stuff special. I remember when the first druid on our server finally got his. Every druid that was paying attention took notice. No one wanted druids except for innervate in raids most of the time.  Though They made decent flag runners for CTF. I don't care one way or another about vanilla servers. I've moved on from gaming for the most part. I loose interest to fast anymore. I do read or pop in the forums from time to time to see what's going on.
  • Branko2307Branko2307 Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Here we go again, people that either havent played Vanilla or were 12years old and played 2hours a week and had a char lvl 45 by the TBC are talking about PVP.

Epic honour gear was same ilvl range of Ahn'qiraj wich was introduced like 8months after the honour was (im not gonna mention how hard was to actually get to the point of raiding AQ sucesfully) so  you dont even know what you are talking about, and also it had totaly diferent stats wich were more pvp oriented like with alot more stamina and insane set bonuses like reduced 1sec cooldown on gouge (simple not beatable for rogue pvp).

Kyleran

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum!! ~Planescape: Torment~

• DrewwhoDrewwho Member CommonPosts: 17
    From what I saw of the presentation it seemed that they wanted to offer as close as they could to the original classic experience . They already said there would be no dungeon finder . 

I would imagine if they are successful then what Bizzard called "pristine" servers might follow which they said would offer a version of the current game with something resembling the original ruleset and difficulty in place . 

It will be interesting to see how they achieve the classic servers but they seem to be going in the right direction at last . Hopefully . 
    Steelhelm
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Endless looping flight paths with no way to dismount and -25% xp bar is what I remember from vanilla. Can't wait.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Since they had a rough time stopping them,their lawyers likely said "create your own similar servers,that way a lawsuit would result in millions of claimed lost revenue.Tough to sue for revenue lost when you don't offer the same product,your only recourse is to sue for copyright and attempt to shut them down.

Blizzard was obviously steadfast AGAINST this for a very long time,so this imo is more about Blizzard than giving what the players want.
    [Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    edited November 2017
    Loke666 said:
    Albatroes said:
    I do wonder how this will impact future "old school" throw back titles like Pantheon. Of course it heavily depends on how Blizzard decides to deal with classic since there's no real information on it. But one does have to wonder...
    Wow isn't old-school. Usually at least people mean anything released 2003 or earlier as oldschool.
    10 years ago maybe, but it is 2017. WoW is old school... it is 13 years old.
  • LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    KInda of hoping for them to utilize the Caverns of Time more as these classic expansions come on line. Utilize the same character, some items convert to the appropriate expansion while other items are useless except for in the appropriate expansion when one goes through a portal. Would be a shocker if they have been planning this all along, I mean Caverns of Time really sets this up. All of sudden we finally grow up and all the major heroes and villains say welcome to the party, since they have been time traveling all along, lol.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Here we go again, people that either havent played Vanilla or were 12years old and played 2hours a week and had a char lvl 45 by the TBC are talking about PVP.

Epic honour gear was same ilvl range of Ahn'qiraj wich was introduced like 8months after the honour was (im not gonna mention how hard was to actually get to the point of raiding AQ sucesfully) so  you dont even know what you are talking about, and also it had totaly diferent stats wich were more pvp oriented like with alot more stamina and insane set bonuses like reduced 1sec cooldown on gouge (simple not beatable for rogue pvp).

True story, my son was in 8th grade and raiding the 4 horseman with one of the better raiding guilds on his server right before BC launched.

His voice had not changed yet so his guildmates thought he was a girl, which he never bothered to correct since he didn't want them to know he was only 14.

Fortunately when I checked them out they were family friendly on voice coms so his soul didn't get too corrupted.

I asked him if he was interested in going back to finally beat the horsemen but he declined, said he wasn't interested in redoing all the grinding it would take, especially from scratch. 

He's more of a League, Overwatch, PlayStation single player games these days. 

I remember after his raiding stint he started focusing far more on the PVP side of the game, but this was all post vanilla. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    I'm so looking forward to getting killed by Korrak ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    The only things I hope they change is the things that they regret changing.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited November 2017

Epic PvP set ilvl 71-74. T2 ilvl 76. T2.5 ilvl 78-88. You could keep some sanity doing raiding but that PvP grind was brutal.

Even worse when you ended up on a server where pop skewed towards your faction, usually spent 1-2 hours in queue between battlegrounds. 
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.