Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is Wildstar Hated???

Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
Ive recently got into Wildstar and I'm actusally loving it. Then I start reading about it in different Forums and see all the Hate it has. Just wondering why? Its fun, Humorous, Lighthearted, and kinda Skillfull....I think its a great MMO....It just Boggles me
No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I don't guess that it's hatred, just indifference.  The developers found that the hardcore raiding niche they were aiming for just didn't exist.
    WylfgunklackerNordicApacheFrodoFraginswingoodThupliPhaserlight
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    I don't guess that it's hatred, just indifference.  The developers found that the hardcore raiding niche they were aiming for just didn't exist.

True....I guess it is indifference.....Because I like the game even without the Raiding....LOL
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,846
    Its the theme-parkiest theme park to ever revel in its them-parkitude.

Also, it had a terrible launch that caused it to fail so that gives people complete freedom to say whatever bad things about it about they want.
    Xarkodelete5230KyleranTheScavengerTuor7Eronakis
    Yeah, I mean, I found nothing that bad about the game in the limited time I played.  I wasn't a fan of constantly moving out of red shapes on the ground, though.  Found it very annoying and that it interrupted the flow of combat.  IDK, I guess some people love that shit.
    delete5230KylerangunklackerTsiyaPhaserlight
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited November 2017
    Well this game is at a hard time for several reasons, but the main reason right now at least that it can't gain traction is because its future is just too uncertain. There were already things (like raids) that were confirmed to no longer be developed for the game 2-3 years ago ontop of no really new/different additions being made to the game other than the matrix, which some say has come too late. Lets also not forgot that Carbine is already confirmed on working on a new project even though its suffered massive staff cuts. So massive staff cuts plus working on a new project while admitting that certain content just wont be developed for this title anymore does throw up a lot of red flags for most people. The prime matrix isn't really even a saving grace because there's really only a one time grind like rift's planar system. So once you've gotten everything on one character, you essentially have the same amount of points on any other character you get to 50, so replay value isn't really there.
    Albatroes said:
    Well this game is at a hard time for several reasons, but the main reason right now at least that it can't gain traction is because its future is just too uncertain. There were already things (like raids) that were confirmed to no longer be developed for the game 2-3 years ago ontop of no really new/different additions being made to the game other than the matrix, which some say has come too late. Lets also not forgot that Carbine is already confirmed on working on a new project even though its suffered massive staff cuts. So massive staff cuts plus working on a new project while admitting that certain content just wont be developed for this title anymore does throw up a lot of red flags for most people.

Uncertainty for the future (actually, strong doubt) is the exact reason I haven't gone back to WS on a casual basis.  I'm just not going to invest any time into a game that could fold any day.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    It's not really hated.  It was just plagued with a lot of problems at launch.  The hardcore aspect of it was a turn-off (raiding and attunements).  The combat was too repetitive and felt unrewarding when you finally killed something.  The telegraphs on the ground got annoying.  The cartoon style and humor was overdone too.
    WylfNordicApacheMaurgrim
  • XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    To me the game has 0 atmosphere and sense of adventure. I felt like Im playing super mario the whole time, which isnt necessarily bad, but hardly something I can immerse myself in and play a long term. Rushing and jumping forward was only fun for about an hour.

Xiaoki said:
    Its the theme-parkiest theme park to ever revel in its them-parkitude.

Perfect.
    delete5230WylfOctagon7711Blaze_Rocker
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Basically a good portion of people jumped in with thoughts they would be able to do everything the game had to offer without others or putting in some effort.  So by the time they hit that first endgame wall because they had to do unlocks to progress in the game they got mad that they had to actually put time in and do things to continue on.  The developer never mislead people, from day one they said they were making a game for the hard core raiders in that respect, which was a small niche to begin with so shot themselves in the foot there. 

Now to hit on the actual problems.  First an foremost have you ever tried to manage a 40 man raid, it is a horrible experience, think wrangling cats.  Usually took an hour just to get started, became a more replace this person or that person because people would leave because of the waiting.  Remember that 40 man raiding was to be the heart and soul of the game, even in PvP.
    The unlocks required to get into raids became and issue because people were not willing to complete them.  This lead to people joining raids thinking they could get in if others had then all the sudden it becomes replacement time because you had to replace half the raid with people that did the unlocks.  The unlocks themselves were not hard just time consuming really.

Everything from release to till the first update was great, just the minor bugs you always see with these type games.  The next really big issue was they had tried to set a update schedule that no company could actually deliver on.  In their defense they did attempt to do it, but released broken and unfinished content over and over without fixing what they had just released.  I mean quest with no names with place holder id's.  Quest with no way to complete them because the objective wasn't in the game ect...  Skills that didn't work as intended that were unfixed for a long time.  It became more of we have to have something new instead of fixing what they had already.

Then you have issues with the path system where it does rely on others to work right, which isn't a problem per say but can become frustrating.  This killed it for those solo achievement type players I mentioned at the start.  You couldn't get to some areas without having others open them, then they needed you to use your path skill to do something else to get whatever it was they were looking for.  This isn't a bad thing but as the player base moved on from areas it made it so that newer players that came later missed out because it was harder to find people doing these things.  This is a problem with most games but wanted to throw it in here.

For some it was the PvP, which I don't really care about myself.  It was totally unbalanced.  Some just couldn't handle the idea of the telecasting system ect....  It basically got to a point where it was just a mob killing a mob of people because that is what it took to kill just about anyone.

Overall the game was great for me as I love lore and questing.  I still pop in time and time to see play it.  Sorry about the wall of text but I tried to give just a few examples were I have experienced myself or read about over and over.  There were many other small things but I think you get the picture.  The studio picked the wrong audience from the start (hard core raiding), set time tables that were not realistic, and failed to be able to fix issues fast enough to keep players interested.

KyleranCogohiNordicApache4507wingood
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Ive recently got into Wildstar and I'm actusally loving it. Then I start reading about it in different Forums and see all the Hate it has. Just wondering why? Its fun, Humorous, Lighthearted, and kinda Skillfull....I think its a great MMO....It just Boggles me
    I did try it in beta but they overdid "humorous and lighthearted" for my taste. It was enough to put me off. I'm not a fan of the zany WOW races either. /shrug

I never hated it but I did find some of their fan base annoying when they used to troll the ESO forums here.
    Cogohi
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    I did try it in beta but they overdid "humorous and lighthearted" for my taste. It was enough to put me off. I'm not a fan of the zany WOW races either. /shrug

I never hated it but I did find some of their fan base annoying when they used to troll the ESO forums here.

What did they troll the ESO forums about?  Seems like a weird place for them to hang out!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Iselin said:

What did they troll the ESO forums about?  Seems like a weird place for them to hang out!
    Lol yeah. It was just that their release dates were relatively close to each other and some on both sides were trolling the other about who had the better taste when they were both in development.

Nerd wars you know, it can get heated. Just ask trekkies and warsies :)
    NordicApachebcbully
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• Void425Void425 Member UncommonPosts: 170
    The problem is end game.  Everything was a fun and amazing experience until you reached the end game raid and raid unlocks.  At that point 90% of the game is twitch based into avoiding the red 1 hit kills.  If you do manage to make it to the boss you still have to avoid the reds while fighting.

MMO's should be about having fun and combat.....not who is the best at twitch based avoidance.
    gunklackerBlaze_RockerNordicApache
    Iselin said:
    Iselin said:

Lol yeah. It was just that their release dates were relatively close to each other and some on both sides were trolling the other about who had the better taste when they were both in development.

Nerd wars you know, it can get heated. Just ask trekkies and warsies :)

LOL, oh man...
  • LexDominoLexDomino Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Carpal tunnel telegraphs. I dunno who the genius is who thought telegraphs were an amazing gameplay feature but they're by far the dumbest thing to ever hit gaming.
    BruceYeeKyleranMightyUncleanhallucigenocide
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    This might help more people like the game, since the game doesn't really default to this control option:

https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/153736-mouse-look-keybindings-setting-tutorial/

It makes the game a bit more action focused where you can use some abilities via your mouse without it feeling awkward at times. I'd say at least take advantage of the free 50 then and just make a bunch of alt accounts to get 50 on every class to try out and see which is more to your liking before settling on a "main" if you do decide to take the game more seriously.

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Whenever you try to be "More like WoW than WoW" in a market saturated with WoW Clones, expect a less than exuberant reception.
    KyleranOctagon7711Blaze_RockerCogohi
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    There's just too much clutter going on and 80% of it is there for no purpose cept to make it seem like there's a lot to do. Eastern game philosophy developed by western devs and you get stylized linear themepark with loads of unnecessary grind.
    Cogohi
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I never hated it,tried it and found it extremely boring and imo poorly/cheaply designed,so i couldn't fathom myself playing it more than a day.

Actually having been in the game,it never gave me any feeling of being a Wow clone,it looked more like an Indie game to me.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    well people hate wow.  So that's not the problem.

I think your question is why wild star isn't successful.
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    It had very confusing marketing on release. They were trying to attract both the extremely casual and the extremely hardcore. Neither group thought the game was for them in the end. Combine this with the specific combat style, the people who'd enjoy the game are a very specific pool of players.

The community as a whole was in a strange place since then. I think many people today are afraid to sink time into it - at least that's how I feel. It's surprising they haven't canceled the game yet. The company has been known for canceling semi-popular products. Wildstar, a flop compared to those, is still going for some reason.
    NordicApache
  • DijonCyanideDijonCyanide Member UncommonPosts: 586
    I recently returned to Wildstar after having a mostly unused account for a lengthy time & still like the game & think it is refreshing on many of it's approaches & themes.  There are a few aspects of the game I don't like but mostly that doesn't bother me.  My most recent experiences  with Wildstar & why I decided to not continue playing was because I couldn't get consistent connection.  However on the Wildstar launcher it even stated they were under a DDoS attack.  I only play casually & wouldn't mind tossing some $ to Wildstar, but it never offered anything specific that got my intrigue enough to do so. 
  • ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    I dont think wildstar IS hated, dismissed is probably a better world. We had a MMO glut when this first released.
    KyleranCogohi
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    I felt no connection to my character, the races and the factions when I tried the game. The aesthetics was a turnoff and the level progression structure was boring.
    BruceYee
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    i didn't hate it, tried it as early as Beta (give em credit, at least they didn't charge to Beta Test) and

the three comments below sum up my feelings.

observer said:
    It's not really hated.  It was just plagued with a lot of problems at launch.  The hardcore aspect of it was a turn-off (raiding and attunements).  The combat was too repetitive and felt unrewarding when you finally killed something.  The telegraphs on the ground got annoying.  The cartoon style and humor was overdone too.

Xarko said:
    To me the game has 0 atmosphere and sense of adventure. I felt like Im playing super mario the whole time, which isnt necessarily bad, but hardly something I can immerse myself in and play a long term. Rushing and jumping forward was only fun for about an hour.