Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic Servers Announcement - World of Warcraft Game Trailer

Comments

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited November 2017
    kitarad said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    Very surprised that they're playing the vanilla card so quickly. Figured they'd wait until the game was on its last legs. 
    Why would they when they can say they are hosting it and they need to make you pay specially for it separately and not part of the WoW subscription so people will pay double to play WoW. Win ,win for them.
    Ah, I didn't see that they were charging extra to play it. Thanks for the info. EDIT: Nevermind, there's no confirmation about this.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

waynejr2 said:

Albatroes said:

I'm curious how they'll do it, like if they do servers on a expansion by expansion basis. I personally liked Cata (I only liked MoP for Timeless Isle). I'm also surprised there aren't at least 30 posts already about this on here.

They could do a smarter job.  Rather than progression server, and expansion server.  Say you play  on Vanilla Silver Hand, they can  open up a TBC Silver Hand and you can copy your character onto that and those who want to stay on Vanilla Silver Hand can do so.  And Yes, allow you to have your character on both if you want....Hence the copy rather than transfer......

This would honestly be a very smart move. Hell, I wish they would have thought of that on live as an option since it cost peanuts for them to have expansion servers running on the side. Not like there's honestly THAT many people across all those servers they have up now. You could merge half of them and no one would honestly notice.
    ThupliSadfist
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    Ghavrigg said:
    kitarad said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    Very surprised that they're playing the vanilla card so quickly. Figured they'd wait until the game was on its last legs. 
    Why would they when they can say they are hosting it and they need to make you pay specially for it separately and not part of the WoW subscription so people will pay double to play WoW. Win ,win for them.
    Ah, I didn't see that they were charging extra to play it. Thanks for the info.
    I don't know that they are just speculating.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

SirBalin said:

Way to late...

That's silly.
    GhavriggZeneren
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    kitarad said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    kitarad said:
    Ghavrigg said:
    Ah, I didn't see that they were charging extra to play it. Thanks for the info.
    I don't know that they are just speculating.

They seem to be employing the turd in the punch bowl strategy.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 736

I am excited for Classic servers ... but has me wondering if that includes the graphical upgrades or are we getting a true 2004 server? Either way .. I am exited to re-see the old world again.

Possible. Could be, however, that they will employ the same system they have with the current WoW wherre you can toggle between the new and the old model depending on what you prefer.
  • AlomarAlomar Member RarePosts: 1,299
    Holy shi...., I thought I'd never say this again but, I'm going back to WoW!
    [Deleted User]ZenerenPAL-18Coolit
    Haxus Council Member
    21  year MMO veteran 
    PvP Raid Leader 
    Lover of The Witcher & CD Projekt Red
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2017
    SirBalin said:
    Way to late...
    They give you what you wanted and now its too late?

Typical answer of the people who always complain and never actually play the games regardless of what they add to it.

It reminds me of all the silly SJW that want to censor games and they dont even play video games.
    NephethZeneren

• jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112

I am excited for Classic servers ... but has me wondering if that includes the graphical upgrades or are we getting a true 2004 server? Either way .. I am exited to re-see the old world again.

Possible. Could be, however, that they will employ the same system they have with the current WoW wherre you can toggle between the new and the old model depending on what you prefer.

That system is actually fucked, when they made the new expansion they replaced the old character skeletons and animations, so even if you choose the old models you only gets the old skins, not the old animations (which are the best part of the old models)
  • NikaasNikaas Member UncommonPosts: 135

Forgrimm said:

I bet they wont have the classic pvp system where only 1 person can reach grand marshal per week.

Hopefully not, that was one of the worst systems ever.

Pretty sure that if they are doing everything as it should be then the old PvP rules will apply. Btw 1 GM per week wasn't the issue, but the fact that you needed to be first for the week to get it was what was tough. If people weren't willing to pass it to you it was really hard especially back in the days where there were no cross realms and if you weren't in the best PvP team on the realm your chances were slim to none, however I'm sure that they will keep the dungeon finder and cross realms, so things should be different.

In an interview they said no "finders" and "cross" of any sort (i.e. close to pure vanilla).
    ZenerenThupliSadfist
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I did not see that coming.
    [Deleted User]Zeneren
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Oh well... That is the end of that discussion i guess.

Congrats i guess are in order. I admit that i was wrong on the intent and the time frame.

Gnog

This have been a good conversation

• AntiGangsterAntiGangster Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I hope they allow vanilla toons to come back with a fee or something. I have had a lvl 60 since 2004 and it has not moved since 2005 when i parked it in IF
    GnogSadfist
  • GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    edited November 2017

I am so happy right now ... I can't believe they're actually going to do it!

Don't get too hyped right now. Probably still years away from getting it.
    [Deleted User]
    I hope they allow vanilla toons to come back with a fee or something. I have had a lvl 60 since 2004 and it has not moved since 2005 when i parked it in IF
    well as long as your account is still there... Should be no prob. If not... You are mostly SoL since the character data will not be on their servers anymore. 

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    does that mean the Panda's are going away?!! I hope so.........

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671

tawess said:

well as long as your account is still there... Should be no prob. If not... You are mostly SoL since the character data will not be on their servers anymore. 

I highly doubt they will because people would QQ too much, so more than likely everyone will have to start from scratch.
    Zeneren
    Albatroes said:

tawess said:

I highly doubt they will because people would QQ too much, so more than likely everyone will have to start from scratch.
    At the start maybe.... But later i see no reason for them to not let people transfer server. Even vanilla WoW was mostly about end-game =)

• itsoveritsover Member UncommonPosts: 353
    FINALLY I can play wow .
    [Deleted User]Zeneren

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    I lied when I said I will never play WoW again...looks like I will be playing again :)
    Kilrane[Deleted User]ZenerenTokkenThupliGnog
  • KilraneKilrane Member UncommonPosts: 322
    I'll gladly give it a go if they do it properly. 
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    I wonder if it will be legit vanilla or their own bastardized version of it.
    Well, half of the game was broken and unfinished during the "legit vanilla" days.  Half the talent specs were useless, battlegrounds weren't even in the game like they were supposed to be at launch, etc.  So, I certainly wouldn't expect them to go back to that ;)

Personally, I didn't like Classic WoW very much.  The only thing I really look back on fondly from that era was those crazy Alterac Valley(before everyone became overpowered and it became a race to the finish line) matches once they added in the battlegrounds eventually.  Those were a blast.
    Thupli
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    DMKano said:
    For anyone expecting this to be 100% authentic vanilla WoW - you are going to be in for a rude awakening.

This will be Blizzards version of what they deem "classic" so set your expectations straight
    Based on the quotes from the dev, I'm not so sure it's going to deviate as far as you seem to think.  He mentions what he calls "nuisances," but then mentions that some players seem to enjoy it and that's fine with Blizzard.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,004
    Probably just do modern without xp bonuses

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• DeadSpockDeadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 403
    Let's make a MMORPG clan when this becomes available.
    [Deleted User]