Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild wars 2

So i was thinking about Guild wars 2 again, and i can see the main game is free to play with some limits..
Then i signed up and found 2 expansions..Thorn of bazora and path of bazora or something..

they cost 50 eu for both games incl 2 boost or path of bazora cost 30 eu incl 1 boost.

Do i need both expansions to enjoy the full game..makes sence..but can i just buy path of bazora and then skip thorns of bazora ?

Btw i found both the expansions for 30eu on cd key house..but is it worth it ?
I see they have flying mounts now and lvl 80 cap...will i also get that on free mode ?

Enlight me here plz..i tryed google it but i get easy confused unless someone tells me what to do here haha

Comments

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Do you know that GW2 has It's own sub forum on this site?
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I would start just by playing the base game.  If you like it then get the expansions as HoT will give you gliding and PoF will provide a level 80 character and also will give you mounts during your questing.
    psychosiz1TillerAsheram

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I personally love this game.  Its one of my go to games.  Octagon is exactly right. Play the base game, experiment with stuff and see if you like it.  IMO GW2 is one of the best free experiences in gaming in terms of what you get and get to do for free. 
    Octagon7711
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    So i was thinking about Guild wars 2 again, and i can see the main game is free to play with some limits..
    Then i signed up and found 2 expansions..Thorn of bazora and path of bazora or something..

they cost 50 eu for both games incl 2 boost or path of bazora cost 30 eu incl 1 boost.

Do i need both expansions to enjoy the full game..makes sence..but can i just buy path of bazora and then skip thorns of bazora ?

Btw i found both the expansions for 30eu on cd key house..but is it worth it ?
    I see they have flying mounts now and lvl 80 cap...will i also get that on free mode ?

Enlight me here plz..i tryed google it but i get easy confused unless someone tells me what to do here haha

lol
    Hyperpsycrow
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    https://help.guildwars2.com/hc/en-us/articles/115010688287-Guild-Wars-2-Path-of-Fire-FAQ
    HoT give a lvl 80 too but you dont need it if you only want PoF but there are some things you dont have access to if you dont own HoT.
    Octagon7711
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Yes you can enjoy the game without the xpacs.  You will be missing out on 2 new archtypes for each class.  Really they just add whatever weapon that class didn't use to begin with to the class. 

Hate HoT myself, it basically added a glider to the game which is nice but you can live without to be honest, zones themselves are a mess, they tried to go vertical with the layouts which can be confusing on finding the right path to things.  They also made a good portion of group only content for things like hero points in that xpac that is disappointing as you need those points to finish mastery levels.  Mastery is just a xp grind to unlock skills really, they were added with that xpac also. 

Loved PoF which is the 2nd xpac which added mounts which made the entire game more fun for me.  It removed a lot of the stress of trying to get the 100% zone completions completely for me.  Each mount does different things and makes travel around the zone faster without spending money on fast travel.  The story is also great for this xpac.  The new zones do not have meta events in this xpac which is not something I miss myself.  Sucks when you can't complete something because there are not enough people doing it.

Overall I would say try the base game and if you enjoy the style of play ect, then buy the xpac's.  You will not be missing out really other than what I have already said on the base game.  If it was me I would get PoF though no matter what and unlock the mounts, you don't have to do the story but to the 2 part I believe it was to unlock the raptor mount, then go find the others in their zones they are account wide unlocks also.  Just doing 100% map completions allowed me to just about unlock all of the mount mastery's also without doing the story. 
    HyperpsycrowOctagon7711
  • HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 913
    Maurgrim said:
    Do you know that GW2 has It's own sub forum on this site?
    No i dident aka why im here

k61977 said:
    Yes you can enjoy the game without the xpacs.  You will be missing out on 2 new archtypes for each class.  Really they just add whatever weapon that class didn't use to begin with to the class. 

Hate HoT myself, it basically added a glider to the game which is nice but you can live without to be honest, zones themselves are a mess, they tried to go vertical with the layouts which can be confusing on finding the right path to things.  They also made a good portion of group only content for things like hero points in that xpac that is disappointing as you need those points to finish mastery levels.  Mastery is just a xp grind to unlock skills really, they were added with that xpac also. 

Loved PoF which is the 2nd xpac which added mounts which made the entire game more fun for me.  It removed a lot of the stress of trying to get the 100% zone completions completely for me.  Each mount does different things and makes travel around the zone faster without spending money on fast travel.  The story is also great for this xpac.  The new zones do not have meta events in this xpac which is not something I miss myself.  Sucks when you can't complete something because there are not enough people doing it.

Overall I would say try the base game and if you enjoy the style of play ect, then buy the xpac's.  You will not be missing out really other than what I have already said on the base game.  If it was me I would get PoF though no matter what and unlock the mounts, you don't have to do the story but to the 2 part I believe it was to unlock the raptor mount, then go find the others in their zones they are account wide unlocks also.  Just doing 100% map completions allowed me to just about unlock all of the mount mastery's also without doing the story. 
    Thx for ur wise words

But if i deside to buy the xpacs..do i get any benefits from these in the start of the game...i see there is a boost but i was planning on to play the game from a to z because i hate boost..you miss alot of game mechanics and story and so on...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Thx for ur wise words

But if i deside to buy the xpacs..do i get any benefits from these in the start of the game...i see there is a boost but i was planning on to play the game from a to z because i hate boost..you miss alot of game mechanics and story and so on...
    Basically you get more char slots, I think an extra inventory bag and if you get HoT another class. You probably get some few bonus items as well But honestly can you just play up a character to max level before bothering to buy the packs.

I would at least play up a couple of classes to level 20 so you know which class to boost for the 80 boost if you don't plan to level them up manually, all classes are rather different and you probably wont like all of them, most of us have our favorites (mine is thief).

I would say that PoF is a far better expansion then HoT but HoT is mainly about massive content chained together while most of PoF is more small group content and something you can solo if you want to.

One good way to make the leveling easier and more fun would be to buy PoF, level up one character to 80 and play until you unlock the raptor (second mission you do but the first is just a few minutes talking) which would unlock the raptor to all your characters and then have a mount as you level up your character from 1 to 80, it would speed any travels up.

You need a level 80 to get any use from the expansions but you will get a lvl 80 boost for each and all masteries you unlock including glider (HoT) and mounts (PoF) are account wide (for any level) which is worth considering if you plan to have alts you play up.
    Hyperpsycrow
  • AlteiirAlteiir Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Let me just give you the TLDR for each xpac:

Base game includes everything the vanilla game has. WvW, PVP, Main Tyria PVE content. All pvp maps are included. You get the original trait lines with the base games and not the elite ones.

Heart of Thorns includes access to the HoT PVE maps/raid and additional elite trait lines for each class. You Gain access to the masteries as well. This includes gliding, which you will not be able to obtain otherwise.

Path of Fire gives you access to the mounts and crystal desert maps/raid. It also gives you access to an additional elite trait line. The "flying mount" isn't a true flier, if that's what you're basing your decision on.

My suggestion is play the base game to see if you like it first. You can also enter into PvP and test out different builds and stat sets on the fly without buying gear.

Hyperpsycrow
    edited November 2017
    Ok i see now

And this elite trait/skill line..is that something i can unlock from the start or is that only a lvl 80 thing if i choose to buy the xpacs

Trying out gw 2 atm..looks great..i only got 1 problem..i my friends cant hear me on discord when im ingame gw 2 ....wth

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Great game.  Have fun!  Most people are pretty helpful in game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Ok i see now

And this elite trait/skill line..is that something i can unlock from the start or is that only a lvl 80 thing if i choose to buy the xpacs
    You need indeed to be lvl 80 (max) to start on a speciality class. 

Take theif for instance, you play as a regular thief to lvl 80. Once you are up there you can start putting skill points into Daredevil and Deadshot and while you theoritically can go over to it after you unlock the first ability youprobably do better if you unlock all or at least most of it before doing the switch.

Unlike mastey points that is shared on all your characters you must be 80 to start this process and get benefits for it. 

A spec class will give you access to one extra weapon, new traits you can pick and skills you can choose.

Take my thief again for instance. When I specc myself as a daredevil I get staff as weapon (using it like a bo, not a mage staff), I get an extra dodge and I can pick 3 traits from the daredevil triat line (out of 9). I also get aceess to a couple of new skills

If I instead pick a deadshot I get access to the rifle, my steal skill get exchanged for an aiming skill and the option to sit down in a sniper position to increase my range and damage output. I also get different traits and skills to pick.

And I need to own HoT to be a daredevil and PoF to be a deadshot. 

You can of course just stay as the standard thief as well but the 2 specc classes tend to be better.
    Hyperpsycrow