Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project 1999 questions ?

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    wow .. people can stomach simple combat, 1999 graphics, and camping static spawns in 2017? 

I suppose at least the long camping lines are gone since few are still playing a 18 years old game. 
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    wow .. people can stomach simple combat, 1999 graphics, and camping static spawns in 2017? 

I suppose at least the long camping lines are gone since few are still playing a 18 years old game. 

Well, let me tell you how it is.... Are you ready ?

Now we only have (new and classic):
    - Asian grinders so you can click on the cash shop.
    - Extremely simple combat games that requires no thought what so ever. 
    - Games Online, that require " no help from anyone ".
    - Dynamic Events, again requires " no help ", but hay, you get to watch the fireworks.
    - Jump on a helicopter and bomb a troll camp where if you tried to play with friends it's irritating as hell ! 

This mmo from 1999:
    So far I only played to level 3 ( started over once, and RL life situations ).  This old game from 1999 is NOT HOLDING MY HAND. I'm spending a lot of time studying this game because it has extreme dept.

I only have one buff and one ability and I feel grateful for that because I'm barely staying alive just outside the gates of Freeport.  Thank God, others are around me to give strong buffs.  I feel bad because I haven't learned the chat to say thanks, for now I just face them and jump up and down in gratitude but they respond and understand...... Tonight with all my chat commands in pocket, I'll be an expert to quickly respond and find others.  Once I have a good grasp on this harsh game I'll search for a Guild for more help.

I feel guilty, with so many others helping in the simple but dangerous killing fields of Freeport gates..... But that's ok..... I'm a giver not a taker, soon I can repay others back. 

I have visions of what my first group dungeon will be like, their is no better feeling than working with others, but that's for later ! 

So maybe you can help me out ?
    Go back to Black Desert Online, where you can round up an entire zone of bad guys and kill them all with your 3x Axe.  Buy that pink dress on sale for $15 in the cash shop, and up your fishing skill that really has no value in doing so. 

Sorry, I'm trying to change my image, but reading stuff like this makes me mad !  
    Gaxusn
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    In case you're wondering why the game is so dark at night it's because you're a human. Human,Barbarian and Erudite have bad vision at night . If you are dead get a beetle's eye to see better if it is at night and you need to recover your corpse. Later get a lightstone and keep it in one of your inventory slots and it will light up an area around you.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    kitarad said:
    In case you're wondering why the game is so dark at night it's because you're a human. Human,Barbarian and Erudite have bad vision at night . If you are dead get a beetle's eye to see better if it is at night and you need to recover your corpse. Later get a lightstone and keep it in one of your inventory slots and it will light up an area around you.
    Used to be the only items in my monks inventory, was a GLS, 5 bread and water and a few bandages :p
  • GaxusnGaxusn Member UncommonPosts: 77
    edited October 2017
    delete5230 said:
    <snip>
    I'm a giver not a taker,

Wrong forum buddy  ;)
    Velifax

Playing: Nothing
    Played: EQ1, EQ2, VG:SoH, WoW, AoC, LoTRO, Aion, L2, DF, WAR.
    Favourites: EQ1, VG:SoH, Original WoW.
    Waiting: Pantheon: ROTF

• Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    The GLS was not easy to get in the original game.  You needed a magic weapon to hit the wisps.  You could buy them off other people though.  I was really disappointed when I upgraded from two normal scimitars to magic scimitars because the damage output was almost identical.  That is when I switched from playing a Ranger to playing a Druid, Necromancer, and Mage.  This was all original EQ though (not P99). 

I recall trading items between characters was risky.  You had to drop the item on the ground, log out, and log in with your other character.  Someone might happen by and take the item you dropped in the interim.  I'm not sure if that's how it is in P99.  I know they added the ability to trade items between characters in the bank at some point.

The boat bug was probably the most fun though.  Either you were falling off the boat into the water during zoning or someone else was.  Either way, it was either a long swim or a long wait depending on which side you were on.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

This mmo from 1999:
    So far I only played to level 3 ( started over once, and RL life situations ).  This old game from 1999 is NOT HOLDING MY HAND. I'm spending a lot of time studying this game because it has extreme dept.

lol .. as if camping static spawn needs hand-holding. You are wasting your time studying a *game*? wow ....

This mmo from 1999:

lol .. as if camping static spawn needs hand-holding. You are wasting your time studying a *game*? wow ....

Your just mad because it doesn't have a 3X damage axe and a cash shop like Black Desert Online :)
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Ok, I would seriously recommend that you not play a wizard as your first character.  Wizards are the least wanted class for groups because of extremely low sustained dps.  Yes, they can hit hard in bursts but they can't maintain a good continuous dps output.  They also are extremely boring to play solo.  You nuke something down in 20 or 30 seconds and then you have to sit and med for 10 minutes.  Maybe not precise on the downtime but it seems like forever when you are sitting there doing nothing.

I would recommend Necromancer as your first class.  They are one of the top solo classes.  Groups don't mind taking them because they can contribute decent dps with their pet and spells and they can assist with healing if needed, snare, feign death split things if you learn how,  Lull undead for single pulls, charm undead for even higher dps, and they have their own mana regen spell so you never suffer from slow medding the way other classes do and even can share their mana with others if needed.

The only real drawback to playing a necro is that after playing one it will be difficult to play any of the other lesser classes.

MrMelGibson
    My favorite classes were Necromancer and Druid.  They both had a lot of utility to make them more interesting.  The utility made them fairly self-sufficient, but also limited their group value.  It depends on what you are looking to do in the game.  Pets help a lot with DPS which is an edge for the Necro.  The Druid has a self-heal that doesn't require targeting an enemy, damage shield, wolf form, invisibility vs humans, teleportation, snares, roots, damage over time, direct damage, etc.  They have pretty much everything except for a pet.  They can charm animals if they really want a pet though.  This is probably my favorite incarnation of the Druid I've found in any game.

Ok, I would seriously recommend that you not play a wizard as your first character.  Wizards are the least wanted class for groups because of extremely low sustained dps.  Yes, they can hit hard in bursts but they can't maintain a good continuous dps output.  They also are extremely boring to play solo.  You nuke something down in 20 or 30 seconds and then you have to sit and med for 10 minutes.  Maybe not precise on the downtime but it seems like forever when you are sitting there doing nothing.

I would recommend Necromancer as your first class.  They are one of the top solo classes.  Groups don't mind taking them because they can contribute decent dps with their pet and spells and they can assist with healing if needed, snare, feign death split things if you learn how,  Lull undead for single pulls, charm undead for even higher dps, and they have their own mana regen spell so you never suffer from slow medding the way other classes do and even can share their mana with others if needed.

The only real drawback to playing a necro is that after playing one it will be difficult to play any of the other lesser classes.

OK, I can re-roll again still having a trouble finding time to play, Friday and Saturday afternoons should be freed up to get serious.  Will start a Necromancer :)
    I'll have free time to start over Friday afternoon, RL will have to take a back seat.

Apparently starting a new character is deep and many things are important, so I need some recommendations. I really plan on making this a long journey and not gimp myself in the beginning.

Necromancer:
    - Race
    - Populated starting area
    - Starting points allocations 

It seems the map is huge, I see people talking about questing and grinding areas.  Even on the P1999 forums people ask this question, but the answers are never noob friendly.  What they never take into account is travel distances to all these dream spots.... Sure you can get involved with the community for guidance, but you still need a good starting plan.

Maybe I'm thinking too deeply instead of just playing.  But nothing worst than being level 10 with everyone telling you need to find your way across the map, that's where the action is. I would guess an action plan up to level 20 would be nice to know.

I would love to someday make a real good new player walkthrough. A good solid way to start your adventure...... Contrary to what you may think, and how I act, I like you people.  I seriously respect your advice here :)

Long story short: 
    It's one thing to NOT have hand holding, it's another when you HAVE TO have beginning knowledge.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited November 2017
    Necromancer unfortunately is a much hated class by most towns , good towns. You'll be fine in the evil places but out of nowhere an NPC will see you through a wall and kill you.  So just be aware of this. 

Certain races you can only be worshipping one god Innoruuk which means even more hate for you. You can alleviate this a bit by picking Human or Erudite because the Erudite can be Cazic Thule I think which is not so bad but getting off Odus is such a pain . You will have to beg someone to port you out because as soon as you try to go the port in Erudin the Paladin somewhere close there will kill you and volley a whole string of reasons as to why they hate you.... fun stuff. Then if you manage to get on the boat using invisibility or something when you reach Qeynos some more people will try and kill you unless you try to get through the aquaducts in Qeynos. But the Qeynos aquaducts has a bank and every vendor you might need but it is rather complicated navigating it. See the 8a, 8b and 8c that is where the Necromancer and Shadowknight guilds are and the docks are G.
    QeynosCats1jpg

Qeynos Catacombs Navigation in the Qeynos Catacombs can be very frustrating without a resource such as the map below. There are many exits/entrances to the zone - some not as 'friendly' as others. Even with the map, caution is advised until one is more familiar with the zone. Pace yourself and keep track of where you are.

• A. Exit to Secret Entrance in Newbie Area of North Qeynos
    • B. Exit to Pool between Crow’s Nest and Monk Guild in North Qeynos
    • C. Exit to Rogue’s Guild in North Qeynos, Pits fall into Area #14
    • D. Exit to Water by Magic Users Guild Halls in South Qeynos
    • E. Exit to Hidden Entrance beneath Grounds of Fate
    • F. Exit to Water near to the Bank
    • G. Exit to Water in the Bay near Docks
    • 1. Spawn Area for Vin Moltor
    • 2. Various NPC’s appear here
    • 3. An Undead Knight who drops Limestone Ring
    • 4. Bloated Alligator who drops Alligator Egg
    • 5. An injured rat who drops Alligator Tooth Earring
    • 6. Mercenaries with a shady mercenary who drops Thick Black Cape
    • 7. Drosco and A Nesting Rat who drops Golden Locket
    • 8. Temple of Bertoxxulous
    • 9. Sewer Sentinels
    • 10. Cuburt spawn area
    • 11. Frogloks
    • 12. Injured Brigand
    • 13. Exhausted Guard
    • 14. Shark Pool
    • 15. Smuggler Camps and Malka Rale
    • 16. Various NPC’s and Beggar Wyllin spawn here
    • 17. Thug Camp

Not sure if you're up to navigating that.

Human on the other hand have it easier you will not be killed on sight in your hometown but some NPCs in the town will still kill you like that ranger /druid guy Gash Flockwalker near the docks in Qeynos and one of the bars called Seafarer's Roost in Freeport where believe it or not a Barbarian with an Ogre bodyguard will clean your clocks. Just avoid these places and once you have killed enough Gnolls for Qeynos and Orcs for Freeport even the goody guilds like paladin and cleric will love you. Unfortunately the mage guilds won't sell a damn thing to you so you will have to ask some kind soul to purchase certain spells which you cannot get in your guild or ground transfer them with an alt that can. Learn to use ''consider " 'c' key every NPC before you go near them or they might kill you before you say hail ... Loading Please wait..

Just because you're a human Necromancer does not also mean you'll be safe in all the areas in evil towns the mage guilds in Neriak will also make a stain off you on the ground. Avoid the foreign quarter in Neriak and the mage guilds. 

Alternatively just play a Dark Elf who have one of the coolest cities ever or go really bad and pick an Iksar. You get feign death at later levels and can bank in places that kill you on sight while lying FD on the ground. Iksar has a regeneration that is much sought after but they also have a race experience penalty. Mind you the grind for faction on the Iksar is hell far worse than the Dark Elf. My Dark Elf shadow knight had to kill like 300 orcs and was already amiable the Iksar has to kill close to 500 before getting to apprehensive because I think they will be killed on sight whereas Dark Elves start at dubious and glowering. Glowering is harmless and they cannot do anything to you, threatening and scowling ready to attack is a far worse faction and they will attack and kill you if you get close. Also while doing quests don't decrease Bloodsabers the warrior evil faction as opposed to Steel warriors which is good  or Dismal rage or you might find you have nowhere to train. Faction is very important so while doing quest check which factions you're losing before you go all happy and hand in tonnes of gnoll fangs or bandit sashes or deathfist belts.

Necromancer is a fantastic class as someone said once you go Necro you will not be happy playing other classes because you will constantly be comparing them to the Necro. Also bear in mind that certain deities give cool gear which only that choice will afford you.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Necromancer

I suggest you read this site and check other sources reading is the best source. We can provide some hints and stuff but you need to read up more if you want to have the knowledge you need and not face a frustrating time in the game. Don't be lazy and simply ask for help here. There is no substitute to reading. All the knowledge I have comes from extensive reading of various sites. It also makes the game richer because you also learn about the history , lore and tidbits that posters will not be able to give you. There are many nuances to this amazing game and the depth is staggering.
    Post edited by cheyane on
    MrMelGibson
    Chamber of Chains
    edited November 2017
    I do think that before you venture into Kunark and Velious you should experience the original game and areas but that is just my opinion and gnome necromance I forgot about the gnome is a good choice.  Just don't go to kill Crushbone Orcs as you lose faction with the trainers you may need . If you go to Crushbone and accidentally kill even one slave that aggroed you, you will never be able to raise the faction to use the bank.

You cannot be agnostic you have to choose Bertoxxulous for a  Gnome necromancer.
     Good guides on different classes.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure

Post edited by cheyane on
    Chamber of Chains
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885

Wizard quadkiting

I would recommend to just wing it and don't listen too much to people's advice. 

Freeport has the Commonlands, but it's lacking in dungeons until around the late teens (Befallen)_ I believe.  There are some fun sewers to explore here as a Necromancer.

Qeynos and Everfrost have Blackburrow.  There are some nice sewers to explore here if you are a Necromancer.

Nektulos is very dark and it can be difficult to find your way around both inside and outside of it.  It's right next to the Commonlands.  I personally enjoyed it a lot.

Felwithe and Kelethin have Crushbone.  This was probably my favorite place in the game.  Especially the tree city of Kelethin and crush bone.  I would start as a Wood Elf Druid of Tunare personally.  It would be easy to get groups.  The whole atmosphere of the area is great.  I wouldn't want to skip it because I had an evil ethos. 
    cheyane said:
    I do think that before you venture into Kunark and Velious you should experience the original game and areas but that is just my opinion and gnome necromance I forgot about the gnome is a good choice.  Just don't go to kill Crushbone Orcs as you lose faction with the trainers you may need . If you go to Crushbone and accidentally kill even one slave that aggroed you, you will never be able to raise the faction to use the bank.

You cannot be agnostic you have to choose Bertoxxulous for a  Gnome necromancer.
     Good guides on different classes.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Players:Adventure

What do you think about Wood Elf Druid of Tunare as Flythe27 suggested.

It sounds like with a nerco everything is gonna want to kill me. I know I'm exaggerating a little, but would like something easer, and as long as groups will play with the class, then I'm ok with that. Any class but tank or healer is fine.
    I fell in love with Kelethin when I first saw it and I think you will too. It has such a beautiful background theme and the construction of the treetop city is genius in itself. The druid is a great class to cut your teeth on in Everquest. They have so many tools and it is a lot of fun to play. Good choice.
    immodium
    Chamber of Chains
  • NeanderthalNeanderthal Member RarePosts: 1,861

Druid is much better as a first character than wizard.  I just wanted to save you from the fate of the wizards when LFG.  You're like the slow, uncoordinated fat kid who always gets picked last for dodge ball teams (and in the case of EQ sometimes you don't get picked at all).

One thing about playing a druid is that you will quite often be filling the role of healer in groups and you didn't seem to want to do that.  Magician is another solid choice.  They are sorta like wizards but with a pet.  Magician is a pretty simple straightforward class.  They basically just send in their pet to fight, throw in a nuke now and then, and keep a damage shield on the tank.

Druid is much better as a first character than wizard.  I just wanted to save you from the fate of the wizards when LFG.  You're like the slow, uncoordinated fat kid who always gets picked last for dodge ball teams (and in the case of EQ sometimes you don't get picked at all).

One thing about playing a druid is that you will quite often be filling the role of healer in groups and you didn't seem to want to do that.  Magician is another solid choice.  They are sorta like wizards but with a pet.  Magician is a pretty simple straightforward class.  They basically just send in their pet to fight, throw in a nuke now and then, and keep a damage shield on the tank.

I love healing, just being new in an established game might be intimidating.  However I'm an established healer I'm all other games.....So Druid it is !
    edited November 2017
    cheyane said:
    I fell in love with Kelethin when I first saw it and I think you will too. It has such a beautiful background theme and the construction of the treetop city is genius in itself. The druid is a great class to cut your teeth on in Everquest. They have so many tools and it is a lot of fun to play. Good choice.

Thanks Cheyane for the background on the Necro, I didn't expect EQ1 to be that deep as for NPC's to recognize a class and take action. So that makes two of you saying Druid... Now to start studying up on Druids, for tomorrow afternoon :) 

One last question the name of the starting area is Kelethin or Tunare ?

I think I would love the Wood Elf's, because the Fay is where I started EQ2 back in the day.
    Tunare is a diety . Kelethin is where Wood Elves start.
    Chamber of Chains
    edited November 2017
    cheyane said:
    Tunare is a diety . Kelethin is where Wood Elves start.

OK thanks,
    I found this during some research.  With watching some Kelethin video's I found the tree city much like the tree in The Echoes of Faydwer for EQ2.  It's where I started my adventures.... This brings back a little unexpected nostalgia :)
    Good Luck!

I looked up the Druid spells for P99 and it appears they still use the old system.  That means you don't get some of your best spells like Spirit of the Wolf and Stinging Swarm at level 14.  Up until that point, it may be a little dull.  That was always the big level for me as I could kite mobs solo a lot more effectively in the outdoors.  Druids are great at kiting with damage over time, snare, and spirit of the wolf spell.  At higher levels, they can quad kite, but it has more downtime.  The spell harmony is great for pulling mobs one at a time out of groups.  Until you get Stringing Swarm it's usually best to just do a combination of melee, healing, direct damage, and utility (damage shield) when soloing.  It's good to try and get your spell skills up so that you don't fizzle spells.  It's likely you won't melee much after the first 10 to 15 levels.  As such I would try to increase those melee and defensive skills while you are able to do so.

Of course, you don't have to listen to me.  Just do what is fun to you.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Druid
    Flyte27 said:
    Good Luck!

I looked up the Druid spells for P99 and it appears they still use the old system.  That means you don't get some of your best spells like Spirit of the Wolf and Stinging Swarm at level 14.  Up until that point, it may be a little dull.  That was always the big level for me as I could kite mobs solo a lot more effectively in the outdoors.  Druids are great at kiting with damage over time, snare, and spirit of the wolf spell.  At higher levels, they can quad kite, but it has more downtime.  The spell harmony is great for pulling mobs one at a time out of groups.  Until you get Stringing Swarm it's usually best to just do a combination of melee, healing, direct damage, and utility (damage shield) when soloing.  It's good to try and get your spell skills up so that you don't fizzle spells.  It's likely you won't melee much after the first 10 to 15 levels.  As such I would try to increase those melee and defensive skills while you are able to do so.

Of course, you don't have to listen to me.  Just do what is fun to you.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Druid

Sounds good,

I'm listening :)

I created my character and went up the lift into the tree, that's all I did.  Someone that retired from my work place and wants to scout my land behind my house for hunting, I can't get into the game until after he leaves.

Question about servers:
    I joined the blue PvE server, but noticed an EZ server that was equally populated..... What's that all about ?