Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

CitizenCon 2017 Keynote Address Reveals Planet-Sized Cities & More - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.co

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageCitizenCon 2017 Keynote Address Reveals Planet-Sized Cities & More - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

The Star Citizen "CitizenCon" event was held over the weekend in Frankfurt, Germany. During the convention, Chris Roberts gave the keynote address that showed off the ArcCorp planet as well as Area 18 player hub. The interesting thing about them is the sheer size -- as big as a planet with cityscapes going on as far as the eye can see.

Read the full story here

WalkinGlennNilden

Comments

• KooturKootur Member UncommonPosts: 352
    edited October 2017
    We'll all be collecting Social Security before this game is released.
    WalkinGlennJamesGoblinZandogAlomarkinkyJalepenoShadowStyleB
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    More feature creep, how unsurprising. By the time this releases, it will more science fact than science fiction.
    ZandogAlomarkinkyJalepenoAzaron_Nightblade

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    People look at the demos and talk about it like it's already done.
    Zandog

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    The tool kits they have shown - creating diverse planets, creating fully procedurally generated cities and creating inhabited and working buildings in those cities whenever needed - impressed me most. I very much hope they will put those tools into the hands of the players and modders. I then expect an explosion of creativity from the community - art, levels, missions, NPC scripts, things the devs never thought about. And the devs could pick and choose the best of it and incorporate it into the official game. And the rest can be checked out on the private servers.

Have fun
    perrin82Gdemamiesc-joconnor
  • AreWeLiveAreWeLive Member UncommonPosts: 201
    edited October 2017
    if they put together everything they have ready to go, i am thinking we are 30% done? It would be nice to have those numbers, wish they would say we have added all we are and are now just polishing for release...showing us individual modules that are not finished, really does not help me out.
    AreWeLive said:
    if they put together everything they have ready to go, i am thinking we are 30% done? It would be nice to have those numbers, wish they would say we have added all we are and are now just polishing for release...showing us individual modules that are not finished, really does not help me out.
    You want to see a vertical slice of the game ?

Have fun
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    This "game" is actually a perpetual Siggraph exhibition. Every time I see some big "news" about it, it's an elaborate and produced tech demo with some cult members yelling "YEAAARGH!" at some feature like a "realistic plastic" shader.

What's even more crazy is every single one of these I watch I notice frame rate drops. It makes me wonder, if the developer can't even run this thing at 60fps to thirst trap their own cult what workstation is going to be needed for them to actually play it in the event it actually does release.

GTX 1280 TI 16GB
    Intel® Core™ iXI-9999X

If only developers spent this amount of energy on using multiple processors, visual trickery, and squeezing the most out of graphics cards...
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • ZandogZandog Member UncommonPosts: 97
    2013 backer with over $1400 pledged, definitely a patient fan boy but also willing to hear and give logical criticism.

We saw planet tech at last year's 2016 CitizenCon. We knew procedural tech was already working. We didn't need another CitizenCon to prove it. Many backers were expecting actual GAMEPLAY to be shown this year. Anything that is suppose to appear in alpha 3.0 would have made a better show. A simple trade run cargo mission from ArcCorp to Hurston would have been far more impressive than showing how they were able to create new procedural planets. Yeah, it was awesome, seamless planet to planet travel, innovative tools to help them build out, but what was missing was Alpha 3.0. Which says a few things about where we are in perceived development.

I came away impressed with the size, scope and possibilities of the games realm. I however, saw nothing that constitutes what it exactly is, we do in that realm. I know it's coming. I realize it's not ready yet but when we're on year 5 of development, even after we knew they had to start over on many elements of the game, expecting a 2020 release has become delusional. Just my opinion.
    laxieOctagon7711MadFrenchieMaxBaconAlomarSamhaelDr_Binks
    Every time Goonsquad/SA/DS post salt on Star Citizen, I spend more money on it. Every time a mentally disturbed former backer or Elite CMDR toxic emo comments, I spend more money on it. Every time they refuse to answer why they spend so much time arguing about a game they don't even like, I spend more money on it. Want to watch the world burn because you can't have your way? You got whats coming to you.
    >>>
    If only developers spent this amount of energy on using multiple processors, visual trickery, and squeezing the most out of graphics cards...
    >>>

You would know the answer to the amount of energy spent if you watched the technical panel videos of this convention....

Have fun
    Gdemami
    @Zandog

There was plenty of gameplay with 3.0 in the Atrium. About two dozen computers available for the  participants. That is one of the reasons they did not show it again on screen - attending fans  had hours to watch and experience gameplay before the keynote

Have fun
    Gdemami
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Ginaz said:
    More feature creep, how unsurprising. By the time this releases, it will more science fact than science fiction.
    Not sure how a "very big" city represents feature creep it will just be auto-generated after all. 

Nothing more than a nod to Asimov's Foundation series imo.
    mazut
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Erillion said:
    >>>
    >>>

You would know the answer to the amount of energy spent if you watched the technical panel videos of this convention....

Have fun
    I didn't ask. It's painfully obvious the ratio of energy being spent on Form:Functionality for PC games these days and that's not an issue isolated to CIG.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    I want to believe in Star Citizen, but I’m not giving a dime until I see a beta announcement.
    AlomarkinkyJalepeno
    I want to believe in Star Citizen, but I’m not giving a dime until I see a beta announcement.
    You do not have to give a dime until launch.

And still you can check it out FOR FREE. Even during Alpha (if you want).

They often have free fly weekends. In the first half of 2017 it was about once every 2 months.

Have fun
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Well, it looks like CIG have almost finished the amazing tech and tools they need for the project...

Development of the actual game will be starting soon !
    VoidfarerkinkyJalepeno
  • VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178

Well, it looks like CIG have almost finished the amazing tech and tools they need for the project...

Development of the actual game will be starting soon !

Yup agreed! If only more people could see the bigger picture!
  • SFoxx21SFoxx21 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    This game may not finish for another 5 to 10 years. They should have focused on creating a minimal viable product. The first instance of a playable game and built off of that, but Chris Roberts wanted to create a universe... I think that's why we haven't seen a released product yet; however, I'm not a dev on their team who knows what they can or cannot do with the resources they have with the schedules they self impose. You could argue that CR has done exactly that and created an MVP, but IMO the current alpha they have is more of a barebones sandbox of a game. To each his own.
    >>> but Chris Roberts wanted to create a universe... >>>

That is EXACTLY the reason why i backed Star Citizen.

And still support this project.

Have fun
    VoidfarerAlomarSamhaelGdemami
  • tomek2626tomek2626 Member UncommonPosts: 35

Erillion said:

Have fun

Erillion said:

Have fun

RATHER SEND HIS KIDS TO GOOD SCHOOL GETING CASH FROM LOSERS L;IKE YOU THSI GAME IS ONE BIG LIE I WIL NOT BE SUPRISED IF IT NEVER GO OUT AND ENS WHIT BIG FLOP AND SCANDAL
    Shaighgir243Samhael
  • VoidfarerVoidfarer Member UncommonPosts: 178

tomek2626 said:

Erillion said:

Have fun

Erillion said:

Have fun

RATHER SEND HIS KIDS TO GOOD SCHOOL GETING CASH FROM LOSERS L;IKE YOU THSI GAME IS ONE BIG LIE I WIL NOT BE SUPRISED IF IT NEVER GO OUT AND ENS WHIT BIG FLOP AND SCANDAL

O K Thanks lol
    Erillion
    tomek2626 said:

Erillion said:

Have fun

Erillion said:

Have fun

Did i hit a nerve ? ;-)

Have fun
    gir243Samhael
  • LurchUSALurchUSA Member UncommonPosts: 97

Zandog said:

2013 backer with over $1400 pledged, definitely a patient fan boy but also willing to hear and give logical criticism.

I can see pledges like this becoming family heirlooms, passed down from father to son, as the feature creep keeps the game in development hell for eternity!

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited October 2017
    Posted a resume with several of its highlights here: http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/469174/citizencon-2017-procedural-cities-other-highlights/p1 For who would be actually interested.

A good Citizencon, 3.0 is already on testing and closing in to properly release to everyone...

...and in December they are going for showing the first proper gameplay of SQ42, that will be a big one, a lot of people waiting for that. ;)
    Gdemami
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Erillion said:

The tool kits they have shown - creating diverse planets, creating fully procedurally generated cities and creating inhabited and working buildings in those cities whenever needed - impressed me most. I very much hope they will put those tools into the hands of the players and modders. I then expect an explosion of creativity from the community - art, levels, missions, NPC scripts, things the devs never thought about. And the devs could pick and choose the best of it and incorporate it into the official game. And the rest can be checked out on the private servers.

Have fun

I have had the same thoughts, not about SC though, but I am willing to bet that wont' happen.

I can't see the point of a city planet. It's very fantasy, not sci-fi, because it's not at all plausible. For the game it will be an incredible resource hog that could only possibly serve to thin out the actual player population.
    Gdemami
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Yea, if they actually had actual planet-sized cities in a game with multiple planets, that'd spread the player base incredibly thin even if Star Citizen was super successful (which I find doubtful considering that it's open PvP and that's ALWAYS niche.  Well, MAYBE unless it's in Korea but Star Citizen is not a Korean game and even that seems to be relegated to just a few Korean titles).

Are they going to fill those planet-sized cities with actual content?  A quest around every corner?  NPCs in every block?  Stores and furniture and buildings that are actually interactable everywhere?  In a planet-sized city in a game with multiple planets per system across multiple systems?  Are there even enough players in the friggin' WORLD to make use of all that stuff?

Bigger isn't always better, really.