Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can someone help me out?

RaZKaLzRaZKaLz Member UncommonPosts: 70
So, for a couple of days now my computer is acting weird. When I'm playing games the screen freeze and both of my screens are full of squares of different colors. Sometimes it does that but without even playing a game. I looked it up and some says it might be a virus/malware but I cleaned my computer and it still does it.

I thought it might be the GPU temperature that cause this but my temp is fine when I play and when I do normal stuff on my computer. I used HWinFo to check my GPU temp and that's when I noticed that 2 of the temp on my motherboard spike to over 100 Celsius. It goes from 0 to over 80-100 on and off and it says Temp 5 and Temp 2. Is there a way to see what part of my motherboard that is?
And for the graphic card should I just buy another one and test it out? I just saw that they discontinued my graphic card so which one should I take?

I use an NVidia GTX 780, my motherboard is ASUS Sabertooth Z87, Intel I7 4770K.
My computer is 3-4 years old. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    It's your graphic card going bad, Upgrade your system, build it yourself and get a lot more comp for your money.
    Ozmodansneakerz007
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Clean out dust. This is usually the cause of an issue you are experiencing.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited October 2017
    Asus AI Suite will be able to line up the thermistors to specific points on the motherboard. That doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with those though - they could just get getting random junk because there are no thermistors installed for those register locations - very common to see with generic software that has to just make a lot of assumptions for each motherboard type.

Clean out dust - Cleffy is right, that's the most common problem.

What you are seeing is common. Unfortunately, it usually points to a generic hardware issue, because there are a lot of different things that could cause that. Start with a good cleaning - take the stuff apart to clean it, don't just blow a can of air in there and call it done. Taking it apart and putting it back together is also part of the process (eliminates any loose fitting). I've done that before and found a loose screw underneath the motherboard - that was the problem, it was shorting out some pins underneath the PCB.

If it still has issues after that, Windows restore or reinstall is a good step to try - it's possible it could be a corrupt driver, and that's cheaper and easier than step 3, which is usually to swap out the PSU just in case, and then to start swapping out all the other hardware one piece at a time until you find the culprit.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I agree with the other posters, a thorough cleaning is hopefully your cheapest solution, but when I have seen this occur on other computers it is almost always a bad graphics card if cleaning does not help.

Because of heat issues that almost all graphics cards have, they are usually the first to go on your system.  Unfortunately, this is not a great time to buy a graphics card as prices are high atm.  Also avoid Ebay, it is full of cards that have been grinding funny money 24/7 if you do have to go that route.
  • RaZKaLzRaZKaLz Member UncommonPosts: 70
    Ridelynn said:
    Asus AI Suite will be able to line up the thermistors to specific points on the motherboard. That doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong with those though - they could just get getting random junk because there are no thermistors installed for those register locations - very common to see with generic software that has to just make a lot of assumptions for each motherboard type.

Clean out dust - Cleffy is right, that's the most common problem.

What you are seeing is common. Unfortunately, it usually points to a generic hardware issue, because there are a lot of different things that could cause that. Start with a good cleaning - take the stuff apart to clean it, don't just blow a can of air in there and call it done. Taking it apart and putting it back together is also part of the process (eliminates any loose fitting). I've done that before and found a loose screw underneath the motherboard - that was the problem, it was shorting out some pins underneath the PCB.

If it still has issues after that, Windows restore or reinstall is a good step to try - it's possible it could be a corrupt driver, and that's cheaper and easier than step 3, which is usually to swap out the PSU just in case, and then to start swapping out all the other hardware one piece at a time until you find the culprit.
    Thank you! I will try to clean my graphic card this weekend. I don't know how to do it tho but i will check on youtube xD.

Elsabolts said:
    It's your graphic card going bad, Upgrade your system, build it yourself and get a lot more comp for your money.
    I built this one and I'm currently building another one, just waiting for the money xD. 
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited October 2017
    Cleaning GPU

1. Get canned air

2. Pull it out of the computer

3. Hold the fans still -- finger if there aren't too many fans, or even just a piece of scotch tape, you just don't want them spinning like windmills when you get to step 4.

4. Blow the crap out of everything you can reach. Take special attention to get up underneath the shroud (the plastic underneath where the fans are) - the dust hides in the copper fins that are underneath there, and that's what causes them to start to overheat. You shouldn't need to pull the actual plastic cover off or take anything on the GPU itself apart.

5. Untape the fans if you taped them

6. Re-install your GPU. Make sure all the fans spin up when the computer starts up

QuizzicalOzmodan
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Well, if the fan spins as slow as a windmill then there's something wrong with the fan.  You don't want it spinning like a turbine though.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    GPU is  done,get a new one.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.