Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Project 1999 questions ?

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited October 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Ok, I found the 5 disc set for Everquest 1 for free on the internet.  I'll be working on getting the ISO files working way later.

So I have my first question since I never played a first generation mmo: 

-  What class is good for DPS ranged or melee in a game like this.  I'm never a good tank, I'll be too new to take on the responsibility to be a healer, a class that is easiest to solo for figuring out the game and "wanted" by groups ?.... In other words, a starter class.

-  Are their dungeons ?

- Any thing else a noob should know ?

Thanks for the tip Cheyane, and I promise not to bash it.  I understand its an old first gen game :)

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    edited October 2017
    Melee DPS is  monk or rogue of course but there are some insane restrictions to weight for the monk which might annoy you but you can convert any cash on you to gems to save on that weight but it affects AC and can be quite irritating when you just want to loot everything.

Bard is a mixed bag they can swarm kite but it involves zone disruption which I find personally annoying when I want to find a mob to kill and the damn bard is kiting them all.

DPS ranged is Wizard for sure but probably ranger too although their bow in classic is lack lustre but we have Velious so there is that. The cloth classes like wizard can port and DPS but a class like necromancer with its myriad of tools to use can be a very fun class to play and very group friendly too. The pet classes like magician and necromancer can take on mobs other classes cannot do at their level. Magician has very strong damage spells too. The enchanter is the king of crowd control and they can charm pets and change their appearance and if you make one make sure it is agnostic or else you will get killed in evil or good cities because you cannot hide your religion.

The priest classes are a lot of fun like shaman and druid especially. Shaman has a pet later on and they have buffs coming out of their ears. Druids can quadkite.

The hybrids like Shadowknight and Paladin can be interesting because they are tanks with added effects. The shadowknight gets a pet which is more like a dot considering how weak it is but they can fear and hit the mob with their pet and they make good tanks. Paladins can rez very well later on almost but not quite as well as the cleric but I will not be turning down a pally rez in my 50's. These are gear orientated but don't be surprised that people drop items on you . People are insanely kind on the server.

Grouping is very easy and you will be very busy guaranteed considering the amount there is to do and all the tradeskills and other things you can do. If you play a ranger don't forget to make your own arrows and max out your archery skill.

Make sure you use WinEQ2 to help with problems in later versions of Windows I am using Windows 10 I also suggest you get a better ui like Vert or I use this one 

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156209

Improved graphics

https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2482

MrMelGibson
    Chamber of Chains
  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited October 2017
    Ok, I found the 5 disc set for Everquest 1 for free on the internet.  I'll be working on getting the ISO files working way later.

So I have my first question since I never played a first generation mmo: 

-  What class is good for DPS ranged or melee in a game like this.  I'm never a good tank, I'll be too new to take on the responsibility to be a healer, a class that is easiest to solo for figuring out the game and "wanted" by groups ?.... In other words, a starter class.

-  Are their dungeons ?

- Any thing else a noob should know ?

Thanks for the tip Cheyane, and I promise not to bash it.  I understand its an old first gen game :)
    I was a longtime player of Everquest and I played on p1999 in 2010-11.

Are you sure? I'd recommend finding something newer, but...

Your requirements:
    You wnat a class good at DPS ranged or (and?) melee
    Don't want a tank
    Don't want a healer
    Can solo good
    Wanted by groups

My recommendation is Monk or Magician. After that, Wizard or Rogue. The rogue might give you more trouble whilst soloing, but it might be easier than Wizard. Wizards have hte added complication of spells. Now magicians have spells and monks have weight restrictions, but overall, monks and magicians are very durable and popular classes. Monks can and do sometimes tank, but they're not tanks persay. I think they make up for any trouble you'd have.

Bar none the simplest class is warrior, but you'll have to be a tank and they don't solo well. It's up to you what you do. The best soloer is probably the necromancer, but there're a lot of ins and outs, so I don't recommend as your first class. However, if you wnat a challenge and to be the best soloer, try it.

It doesn't matter what you select. If you like Everquest, you'll settle into something. All the classes have potential to be fun. They can alll solo and group somewhat, but some are better than others at either.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Loaded the 5 disc ISO files and followed directions created an account and just got it working.
    I'll log in as a Wizard and see what happens:)
    edited October 2017
    Learn bind wounds to heal some of your wounds. I think even wizards have that.

The wiki for Project 1999:
    https://wiki.project1999.com/

The wizard page:
    https://wiki.project1999.com/Wizard

The dungeons are good. I think you've played WoW? Everquest is like that but with more downtime--the death penalty--and grinding kills. The quests are obscure and sometimes worht doing, but it's not smooth-going like WoW. So my recommendation is skip the quests at first and learn to grind effectively. It'll be faster leveling and more bearable in groups, so try to find groups nearby. Remember the downtime? Having somebody to play with and chat with helps make it all work.
    edited October 2017
    If you happen to start as an Erudite in Erudin, Barbarian in Everfrost or a human in Qeynos you might think the game has a low population. Certain areas are a bit scarcely populated. Try a High Elf in Greater Faydark or Freeport Human or run to Greater Faydark as a Gnome or Dwarf for more groups. You will be shocked at the number of people still rolling new characters. East Commonlands  where people sell by auction has anywhere from 100 to 130 people on. Weekends are the best the newbie areas will be so congested Orcs  will die before they walk 5 steps.

Make sure you practice sense heading make a button and hit it often . Put one  to 5 points at the trainer for it so it will go up as  this is the way you navigate. Some skills will not improve unless you put at least one point in them. Make /loc and /corpse  just before you die hit the /loc to find your corpse later and the /corpse helps you drag it if it is in a dangerous place. Practice and max out your skills for each level. Make sure you make a macro for 'thank you' as you will be using this a lot for buffs from people.

If you do decide to roll a melee character later on keep every weapon you can use maxxed out so you can use any drop you get and be able to use it from that moment and not miss like mad. If you play a melee keep bind wound maxxed and get a kind magician to summon some bandages for you if you cannot afford it. As  soon as you get some cash get some backpacks as it will save you the trouble and time of selling often and in the end they save you money by having more time spent killing and looting.

Some quests give great money rewards like the diseased hides in Qeynos Hills for the Temple of Life or the mail delivery from Felwithe to Kelethin , repeat this for cash and do quests that give you magic weapons so that you can hit wisps,ghouls and other magical creatures.
    Post edited by cheyane on
    immodiumMrMelGibson
    Chamber of Chains
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Learn bind wounds to heal some of your wounds. I think even wizards have that.

Also, if you've never played EQ before bind /loc. Hit it before you die. :) Bind sense heading to your movement keys. It lets you know if you're heading north, east, south or west.
    MrMelGibson

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Barbarian Beastlord, fights somewhat like a monk in that you use fist type weapons, you do have a Pet though that is fairly capable in itself i think it may be the strongest pet class in the game, I found them to be pretty good for solo play, other than that i think there was Enchanter, which is a magic using 'pet' class, but some very nice spells that help with groups too. Or go Dark Elf and Necromancer, spells plus undead pets are fun to play. My enchanter was my main cash earner as the disguise and charm spells were useful in making Steins of Moggok. Brings back a lot of memories from my 'evercrack' days, not sure i could go back though, tried once but didn't like the game that Everquest had become although the players there were singularly helpful, i can imagine it would be the same with 1999, its probably too much like hard work for the types of players that tend to spoil games for others to get involved in. :/
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    No Luclin no Beastlord. Only till Velious P99.
    Phry

kitarad said:
    No Luclin no Beastlord. Only till Velious P99.
    Thats no bad thing, i think it was Luclin when the game really started going downhill, though it was PoP that really put the final nail in the coffin, one of Everquests biggest problems was too many ill thought out expansions, it became something of a joke just one cash grab after another. :/
    I rolled a human Wizard in Freeport, not sure if I'll stick with this character, I'm undecided.  I barely moved around yet still mapping keys and watching Youtubes on setting up and understanding the UI.

Now I do have to find my trainer for the first quest.  She is Opal Darkbriar in the Academy of Arcane Sciences in West Freeport, found that but she isn't there.  But reading something else on the net, she could be in East Freeport in the basement of the Millitia house. So now I'm searching for the basement...... I consider this fun..... And I do see people running around :)
    Phry
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,885
    edited October 2017
    No she is there look properly she is hidden in a nook on the second floor. The other Opal Briar will slaughter you if you are not evil. What religion did you choose ? The evil one is using her to pose in the Arcane Academy as the wizard guildmaster. The evil one is a  cleric though.

The thing about Everquest is they deviously hide people behind doors and around a tiny corner that looks like a dead end. Look properly she is there or shout and ask for help.

Don't go down to the tunnel if you use the wrong ones the drowned citizens will get you if you use the other one the Dismal Rage people will kill you before you get within 5 feet.

Post edited by kitarad on
    PhryMrMelGibson

kitarad said:
    No she is there look properly she is hidden in a nook on the second floor. The other Opal Briar will slaughter you if you are not evil. What religion did you choose ? The evil one is using her to pose in the Arcane Academy as the wizard guildmaster. The evil one is a  cleric though.

The thing about Everquest is they deviously hide people behind doors and around a tiny corner that looks like a dead end. Look properly she is there or shout and ask for help.

Don't go down to the tunnel if you use the wrong ones the drowned citizens will get you if you use the other one the Dismal Rage people will kill you before you get within 5 feet.

Thanks Kitarad, found her in a small hidden closet.
    I still haven't done much, it's also been project weekend around the house too :(  

So far found my trainer rearranged my UI with the help of Youtubes. 

When I was searching around East Freeport, I noticed one of the outside gates.  I still have to try combat and loot and if I die I'll have to see if this corpse drag thing works.  Also in the little tips that I watched, I'll have to find the bank, I guess it's important to store stuff often. 

Right now I'll try and figure out how to chat.  I already made a second chat box and called it combat, BUT the main chat is still cluttered with a mix of everything.... I'm still level 1 but I want to know the community. 

What next ?
    I'll read some guides, but it would be nice to have some starter advice from the experts here. I love the no hand holding.  I want to get good at this and be ready for Pantheon.   

So are their quest ?
    Do you just grind for a few levels ?
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    My advice would be to ask your questions in game. Get to know the community that way. It really is the best way to learn and make acquaintances.

Personally EQ is not an enjoyable experience as a solo game. Get grouped up asap.
    MrMelGibson

edited October 2017
    Money has weight. You must find the bank and convert the copper,silver and gold you have to platinum. Buy some backpacks and put them in the bank for added slots. Keep a couple empty for giant items you may want to keep there. The backpack is large not giant size so no giant sized items will fit in there. Everything has weight so you cannot carry much and being a caster class even less because of your lower strength stat. Bags do drop off mobs but infrequently until you no longer need them apparently.

I hope you put your points 25 into intelligence , you did read up on where to put your starting character points right and different classes have different emphasis and there are various min/max ideas and races. If you're into that you will have to read up.

I suggest you check maps and learn the lay of land as there is no map and some places are so confusing it is a challenge for sure. Even towns like Neriak can totally boggle you. Well I'm particularly bad with dungeons and EQ dungeons are very convoluted.

Go to main options to turn of certain messages like other people misses and such or your chat will be very crowded. Then in combat let all messages about spells and melee go into it. Whatever you do not turn off in the options will appear in some window without exception. So if you want something completely gone take it out in options. Make another window for auctions only, you will thank me when you go to East Commonlands. Use the filter to asterisk the chat items for the window. Asterisk items appear in that window. You can also abbreviate the combat text that is also an option in the filter. 

Since the ui setup is so lengthy if you want to start another character you can use this method to sort of copy paste the ui for the new one.

Not many quests but hail everyone and they will not give you quests unless they are indifferent or better and in some cases your class or religion might bar you altogether from doing them. People sneak and use various ways to gain faction. Use the words in the brackets to talk back to them to get the quest. The words must be spelled correctly and I emphasize this in your case most especially and in some cases a combination not highlighted. Use common sense don't repeat what they say exactly. In most cases you have to add 'the' for the subject. No quest log so keep your own written log or check the quests online.

Check for some more tips online and good luck and you have definitely chosen to play a very good game and I hope you enjoy your experience.
    Post edited by cheyane on
    MrMelGibson
    Chamber of Chains
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited October 2017
    Everquest is unforgiving. Project 1999 is extremely unforgiving and limiting because it is era correct, meanng client, content, mechanics of 17 years ago. Eq improved immensively from 1999 to 2005 as you would expect an constant evolving game to do, and after that up to current live eq, it is almost a entirely different game - Just some history to point out that eq is not just eq, and p1999 is based on the earliest underdeveloped (they will say purest) version of it. The alternative is official progression servers (require subscription), which are not very era correct but full of quality of life improvements (plus some sad stuff) and generally much easier on your sanity (ingame maps is one example); only p1999 deliver that authentic experience with all the good and the bad.

Anyways, I would find someone regular to hang out with, to tech you things because the game will only tech you that any mistake is rewarded with death and frustration :) .. Do NOT let them spoil you with gear or carry you, take advice and directions and help with your quests. Ask a lot of questions. Let others know that you are a true eq virgin (as rare as a unicorn) and nice people will help (remember you don't want gear).
    Do not pick a solo class, in p1999 your mana regenerate extremely slow and sitting regenerating 2-5 minutes between action is mindnumbing, besides you get to experience more of the game by groups.. Oh and most classes can not solo at all after level 10, so it is group or quit.
    In 2003ish the old character models were upgraded but p1999 uses the old 8cubes models. It is possible if you are a bit tech savvy to get the p1999 client(titanium) to use the "new" character models; this is frowned upon by purists, but personally I can't play eq with those butt ugly models.
    The economy is extremely mudflated and the old players own millions of platinum, also they sell loot rights to just about any high end quest items which is a serious negative to take into consideration; it is not that those players are not nice enough, it is just a "natural" result of a server that has run for many years with relatively little content. To be fair, if you don't plan to get into the higher end game, you can still have some fun..it is just messing with the game experience that you do not camp for your own quest drops, but instead have to farm platinum to buy it of oters.

Warning! If you should find yourself surviving (your modern wow mentality) and stay with eq for some months, then you might realize just how shallow and overdesigned modern mmos are and become a grumphy old idiot like me. You might even realize just how fundamentally different eq is to wow (even vanilla wow to some extend) and even to eq2, and start correcting the "kids" (who obviously will still not get it) .. :)

Edit. Bah sorry, some of this came out so negative.. P1999 is great go play, it is just personally I prefer a 2004 era eq and the 1999 purism annoys me haha.

I cannot stand the later models running and standing animations and never use them even when I played the official game from time to time. They look completely off. I mean the face and clothing look detailed but the body movements are awful.
    Chamber of Chains
    edited October 2017

What next ?

Do you just grind for a few levels ?
    Next: Level till 4 or 5 in newbie area ouside gates. Focus on skeletons as they can drop cloth armor pieces to equip and bonechips which you keep to sell to other players when you have a few stacks. Second order of business is get some money in your pocket and buy a few bags.

At level 5 you can venture into the next zone after newbie area, which depending on your class and knowing of what can kill you can be soloed.. If you die too much soloing, start to look for groups or a partner.

on a side note. Wizard is possibly the hardest class to play and not the most wanted either. If you decide to roll another, this is the advice I have.
    Choose a race with improved night vision as eq is very dark at night, in fact I never play what I call blind races, of course a matter of taste.
    Ogres and trolls have great starting stats for melee and priests, but they are massive in size and in p1999 shrink does not work indoors which can make life very difficult in dungeons. Iksar are sexxy but hated (kill on sight) so many places. Dark elves also evil but more accepted. Elves are probably the best starter race with night vision(right? I never play them treehuggers), and nice starting zones. Gnomes&haflings? I don't remember if they got night vision, I don't like them purely because of the low camera position, but gnomes make good casters and halflings good priests and melee.
    As for starting classes, I would say don't go tank because they are highly gear dependent and you compete with overtwinked veterans alts. Shaman is great fun and versatile, one of my favorite classes. Bard is great fun and very unique play style (can solo too), maybe ranger if you want support/dps melee, rogue if you like to be powerful but bored staring at butts and backstab refresh all day long. Cleric for pure healer and probably always in demand for groups, druid is also great and versatile (can solo) and later on you can always make money by gating people around.

Post edited by kjempff on
    I'll try and stick with p1999 for both community play and the challenge of learning.  I notice even in offline games, once I learn everything I get bored.   One thing about mmos is that I can continue on much much longer because the vernation of playing with groups far beyond learning everything..... I guess this is the attraction.  However, if the game is way too far outdated, I'll quietly leave but as for now I think I'll love it. 

Playing a Wizard, I split my starting points in both wisdom and intelligence only. 

The bag space, and weight i'm sure will pose a problem.... I'll re-read the hints on this and be mindful when I find the bank. 

As people stated above, I'll have to make priorities, first are:  
    - Community chat, and talking to people in game. 
    - Basic combat. 
    - Bag space, weight and currency. 

Going to the gym for a few hours, and house projects that the new wife assigned will be getting in my way of what's important.... Project 1999 :)
    Do you have to have the titanium version of the game, or can you use regular version as i still have my old discs + Kunark disc and SoV disc, guess i am a bit of a hoarder for these things :s
    edited October 2017
    This was posted by a member here on mmorpg.com:

I downloaded this 5 disc set for free, and followed the P1999 install and get running instructions. Worked great :) 

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0Bzs8cTQKqR6naDB3TmJ5YXBYeW8 

They are ISO files. Follow the instructions carefully on P1999, you will have to install a patch and delete a few lines.  DONT use the start icon given or it may patch the game wrongly.... It's all in the instructions.
    Phry
    edited October 2017
    Playing a Wizard, I split my starting points in both wisdom and intelligence only.
    In eq there are int casters and wis casters, this is exclusive so that to an int caster wis is completely useless and vise versa.
    Int casters are: wiz, mag, enc, nec, shadow knight.. wiz casters are: cle, dru, sha, ranger, paladin.
    Since starting stats are quite important I would suggest rerolling your wizard. There are guides on starting stats for race/class combo on the net, for a wizard I would put 5 in str to be able to carry stuff (depends on race), 5 in sta (hp pool), rest in int (mana pool).
    And again wizard is a very rough choice to start with and can be a very simple (boring) class.

Caster tip (later on in groups): Instead of using your highest level nuke, step one down and cast more often, and try to take advantage of the tick timer (where mana goes up, every 6 second) so you are sitting on ticks.. especially if you play a shaman, and use cannibalize & small heals between ticks you can really optimize your play a lot.
    edited October 2017
    Have fun delete. Dammit you made me think about playing again. There's really nothing else out there exactly like classic EQ.

I know you like Pantheon because I watch that thread. Do you know about Saga of Lucimia? Here's a recent BETA video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oodZTMvduF4
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Play a Ranger. By far it is the most OP class. You will be invincible. 
    Gyva02

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Since I have characters in Greater Faydark and Freeport mainly I made one magician in both places for one thing and one thing alone.... summoned bandages because they are freaking expensive. Then I do the ground trade lurking in some empty room somewhere. I snuck in there hoping no one is watching from some corner waiting to nab my bandages. I know some people use this method to transfer items but I would not trust the chance I might lose my connection or a power failure with important items.
    Chamber of Chains