Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny 2 PC Review In Progress - Destiny 2 Columns

Comments

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    For everyone who gave me grief for stating it would be a console port... even though the Dev's claimed it wouldn't be, it's a port. It's a well done port - but still an obvious port. That said .. played console and Pc now - games enjoyable though a bit repetitive. ( So it's Destiny )
  • justanothergamerjustanothergamer Member CommonPosts: 11
    Kyleran said:
    Could be the best game ever, but since you cannot bind anything to the numpad keys, I got a refund.

2017, PC game, and you cannot bind to the numpad keys.
    Showing its console roots perhaps?
    You could bind the numpad keys in Beta, but now you cant.
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Game is fantastic, IMO.
    BananaSoup
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I've been loving the game so far. One of my favorite games this year. Every now and then, a game comes out that makes stay at home and play it all day long - Destiny 2 is one of those.

Couple things I loved:
    • The locations are amazing. The graphical style feels polished and cohesive. It's a pleasure to visit some of the locations for the first time. I'd buy the game just for the visuals alone.
    • The music is spot on. It makes the whole thing feel a lot more epic.
    • Guns feel great. Whether it's a colt or a submachine gun, they seem believable and responsive.
    • The exotic equipment is intriguing. The exotic pieces really stand out visually. They each also come with a long lore entry. Definitely makes me want to go out and collect them all. I can't say the same for loot in Diablo 3, where the set pieces are pretty much the same old same old with a stat bonus slapped on.
    • You can disassemble lower tier equipment and essentially trade it in for higher tier stuff. This means getting Rares is not an insult, as you can disassemble them and get a guaranteed Legendary for enough of the blues. It's a lot better than other loot grinders, where most stuff at endgame is virtually useless trash sells for currency you'll never need.
    Things I found OK:
    • The story was alright. I think the locations and music made it work. It introduces some interesting characters, which are sadly not given any story time. Some feel fairly one dimensional, and the ones who feel a bit more complex (like the Warlock) never get a storyline to express themselves.
    • The main story is fairly short. It delivers the bare minimum. I wonder if more nuanced storytelling is coming in the season pass. There certainly is a lot left they could show.
    • The leveling seems strange. Not because it would force you to grind, I have no idea where some of the comments people are making are coming from (it's actually the opposite). I did the main story while completing 2 side missions, 5 public events and 1-2 hours of free roaming. I hit the level cap before even finishing the main storyline. I think this design is alright, as everything unlocks by the time you finish the story (and there is no dead space between the story ending and you doing endgame stuff), but it came as a surprise.
    What I didn't like:
    • The interface feels strange in places. Especially when it comes to grouping - joining, leaving and arranging groups is not necessarily intuitive all the time.
    • Dynamic instances are questionable at times. I see a public event is about to start in 3 minutes. I select it, travel to the planet. The system could clearly tell my intention, yet I am placed in an instance where everyone else is on the opposite side of the planet, doing completely irrelevant things, leaving me against the public event all alone. They could have done a lot better there.
    • It does not support small guilds. There are very strict guild XP caps on a per-player basis. This makes guilds of a handful of people feel quite punishing. It's fair - they are communicating a clear vision of what a guild should be. I personally prefer games that give you the flexibility to have a smaller guild and still get decent rewards.
    [Deleted User]Zandog
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Kyleran said:
    Could be the best game ever, but since you cannot bind anything to the numpad keys, I got a refund.

2017, PC game, and you cannot bind to the numpad keys.
    Showing its console roots perhaps?
    You could bind the numpad keys in Beta, but now you cant.
    Well that's a bit odd.
    justanothergamer

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    I see some people claim it's a not-so-good port, then I see reviews like this http://www.gamesradar.com/destiny-2-on-pc-is-no-mere-port-8-hours-hands-on-reveals-perhaps-the-purest-most-definitive-version-of-the-game/

The PC version of Destiny 2 is not a simple port. It’s not even just a good port. The entire fabric of the game – both technically and experientially – screams of a dedicated, bespoke build of the game, crafted with real attention and care for making not just ‘Destiny 2 on PC’, but Destiny 2 as built for PC. It screams all of that like a battle-cry.

• HyperpsycrowHyperpsycrow Member RarePosts: 915
    Is this game worth 40 eu ?

Since i heard alot of bad stuff about rather than good stuff..like you can just skip all the monsters in most missions to complete fast and you can drive a tank around in missions from point a to b andno need to shoot either.,.just drive cuz the tank cant "die" = god mode..and there is no real chat..and before you even realize whats going on then ur team mates are way of to clear the missions and ur just waste.

Battle music plays at random places and time where no action happens at all..random..

Stupid AI making allahuagbad and kamikaze on you just to make sure you kill em and win..

No numpad keys...

You can ez solo missions since ur power lvl will raise faster then the actualy missions power lvl..so u can one shot and win ez.

The game feels like destiny 1.5 and not 2..no realy new stuff added...

ect

Forgrimm said:
    I see some people claim it's a not-so-good port, then I see reviews like this http://www.gamesradar.com/destiny-2-on-pc-is-no-mere-port-8-hours-hands-on-reveals-perhaps-the-purest-most-definitive-version-of-the-game/

The PC version of Destiny 2 is not a simple port. It’s not even just a good port. The entire fabric of the game – both technically and experientially – screams of a dedicated, bespoke build of the game, crafted with real attention and care for making not just ‘Destiny 2 on PC’, but Destiny 2 as built for PC. It screams all of that like a battle-cry.

Those are the type of blogs/articles/OpEds that I lambasted during the PC beta. The game doesn't feel built for PC, I'd wager anyone that is pushing that narrative hasn't played a proper PC game in years.

The interface, chat system, clan system, and constant load screens scream Console Port. There are very simple and basic changes that would have completed the whole " This isn't a console port" claim .... and they decided not to change them. I'm sure their reply would be " We can't change most of those systems because they are core to the game " ... to which they shouldn't have claimed otherwise. It reeks of a lie told behind a smiling PR face , knowing damn well that once you find out they have your money.

[Deleted User]PhryBillMurphyMrMelGibson
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Phixion13 said:
    This game is pure hype imo and made to milk. You want a good Destiny 2? Wait for a DLC bundle. You get your fix and then you realize you are ankle deep in content. The UI's functionality and little missing bits prove this wasn't a "lets do the PC version right" and more of a double dip console port. It's got some great elements and the gunplay is smooth but in the end you will wonder how much some of these reviewers actually played.

- PC players with controllers get aim assist in PvP (Hand cannon + controller = gg)
    - Story feels meh and out of place in an "epic" setting
    - No REAL chat to socialize.
    - Campaign is 7-10 hours with some grinding to meet mission lvl reqs
    - Can top out gear power in a week or two...
    - More exotic drops, but more duplicates as well
    - Them one time use shaders, assume to sell them micros more.
    - Banned players before they hit the menu...
    Have you played the game or just regurgitating others comments? The shaders' comment has been covered and I can't see it being unusual, the fact the game DOESN'T have a shop yet is unusual. 
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited October 2017
    Redemp said:
    Forgrimm said:

Those are the type of blogs/articles/OpEds that I lambasted during the PC beta. The game doesn't feel built for PC, I'd wager anyone that is pushing that narrative hasn't played a proper PC game in years.

The interface, chat system, clan system, and constant load screens scream Console Port. There are very simple and basic changes that would have completed the whole " This isn't a console port" claim .... and they decided not to change them. I'm sure their reply would be " We can't change most of those systems because they are core to the game " ... to which they shouldn't have claimed otherwise. It reeks of a lie told behind a smiling PR face , knowing damn well that once you find out they have your money.

I couldn't agree less. And I play lots of PC AND console games. Rubbish.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    [Deleted User]
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:
    Redemp said:
    Forgrimm said:

I couldn't agree less. And I play lots of PC AND console games. Rubbish.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
      You don't agree the game doesn't feel built for PC? You don't agree that the interface, chat system, clan system, and constant load are hallmarks of a console game?

It's OK to like the game but still call a port a port. I like the game just fine... but not acknowledging the PR speak that was served to everyone about the PC version being built from the ground up (haha) is to give a blatant lie a free pass.

xNIAx1 said:
    Watched a girl play for a few hours. Shooting easy mobs,easy bosses collecting loot and going to the next area. This is not a game for PC, maybe a game id like to kick back on the couch with a controller and play casually with a friend a couple hours a week or something. Very VERY little depth to the game that definitely should of stayed on the console where it belongs.

A Filthy Casuals Dream

Does every PC game have to be some huge in-depth experience? 
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    xNIAx1 said:
    Watched a girl play for a few hours. Shooting easy mobs,easy bosses collecting loot and going to the next area. This is not a game for PC, maybe a game id like to kick back on the couch with a controller and play casually with a friend a couple hours a week or something. Very VERY little depth to the game that definitely should of stayed on the console where it belongs.

A Filthy Casuals Dream

its a good point however should the simple non in-depth games be treated like the second coming of jesus christ? maybe they should. i dont know just something to ponder.

for me personally I dont see anything in Destiny that is even remotely interesting to me personally...nothing. but I think when you have been playing games as long as I have one get tired of the same old fomula.

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

SEANMCAD said:
    xNIAx1 said:

A Filthy Casuals Dream

its a good point however should the simple non in-depth games be treated like the second coming of jesus christ? maybe they should. i dont know just something to ponder.

for me personally I dont see anything in Destiny that is even remotely interesting to me personally...nothing. but I think when you have been playing games as long as I have one get tired of the same old fomula.

Games don't get preferential treatment based on whether they have a lot of depth or have very little depth. It's a completely arbitrary and superficial measurement of whether a game is good or not.
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    SEANMCAD said:
    xNIAx1 said:

A Filthy Casuals Dream

Games don't get preferential treatment based on whether they have a lot of depth or have very little depth. It's a completely arbitrary and superficial measurement of whether a game is good or not.
    no its almost always because of advertising dollars.

never the less just thought I would give you something to think about. Like I said, for me personally it looks completely uninteresting. 

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

Torval said:
    It doesn't feel like a port and it isn't one. The problem you're having is accepting the fact that multi-platform features can exist in both while still not being a port. Designing a system, like voice chat with limited text, that is more native to one platform or another doesn't make a game a port.

For one thing, console port is a misnomer. There are platform ports, so it would be accurate to say the game was ported from it's source platform to a new platform (Xbox to PS4 or Vita to PC). Multiplatform programs are usually designed such that there are core multiplatform components and the platform specific implementations. A good example are mobile apps across iOS and Android.

A port is when you have to refactor the code base to work on another platform or virtualize a layer to work on another platform. What you're calling a port is a multiplatform application with cross platform features poking their nose into your comfort zone. That is, PC gamers are comfortable communicating a certain way and now we're being asked to do that how the PS4 and Xbox players are.

Bungie wants as seamless experience across platforms as possible. That is why PCMR players are sharing game system styles with console peasants. I think Bungie should accommodate PC players and make those chat systems work in game. That could severely hamper cross platform integration though so I can see why they aren't doing it now, or maybe at all. That still doesn't make it a port.
      That was informative, thanks for the particulars of "what is a port". Regardless of the semantics, the game is a still a port in the traditional, gamer-used-term sense. You are correct though that some specific implementations are nosing into my comfort zone. Those specifics have been the most obvious signs of what is considered a console port for years; Interface, chat system, limited functions on clan/guild systems. When the term port is used, or console port, it's generally because a game has elements/functions which are not appropriate for its platform. Misnomer or not this is exactly what the Dev's comments about "built from the ground up" where meant to refute. Is it well done? Yep .. it focused primarily on the hardware/graphics side, which is wonderful. That doesn't excuse it from wearing the tag of "Console Port", this is Destiny though .. their target has always been consoles. The issue I have with all of this was their statements claiming the PC game was being "Built from the ground up" ... when it's obvious that was lie. The game feels like a console port, it just doesn't look like one.

[Deleted User]MrMelGibson
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    It's not bad.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• BananaSoupBananaSoup Member UncommonPosts: 180
    This game is AWSUM!!! I am having a BLAST! :)
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Forgrimm said:

i find this hard to believe. It is hard to believe comments like this coming from Activision. I think its's just another port. They sell so many copies of every game that they can make up anything they want with a straight face and people will follow it.

Just my opinion.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Reviews vary, here is one by Worth a Buy, i happen to agree with the guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp3NPgt6SuA&t=

For the price, Destiny 2 isn't worth it yet, it needs far more content than is currently available.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530

DeadSpock said:

You didn't mention the music it's EPIC even some of my friends that didn't like the game much loved the music.

I can't remember any of the music, that's the problem when all the music sounds the same. EPIC music bothers me when I can't recognize a single track if some stranger walked up to me and said "listen to this." I would be left with a blank stare. EPIC music is something very few people could ever pull off in their lifetime. The 99% that can't sound like B-list Newgrounds composers that died on the site. The music is my least favorite, but if I were to state the over all worst aspect of the game it's the complete lack of any social functionality. Having to shoot dicks into the ground, to navigate newer players towards the direction the need to go during strikes is not my ideal form of communication.

What I do appreciate about the game, is that it knows what it is, something that Warframe will never be able to say about itself. Also it's pretty decent launch for game that size despite the headache with clans currently.
    [Deleted User]
    I also like the music.  It definitely lets you know when things are about to get serious.

The style of the game reminds me of Doom or Half-Life 2 with a lighter story and less comedy but overall it reminds me of ME3. 

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Torval said:
    I hit level 18/183 last night.

I'm near the end and will need to recruit another player or two to finish out. Spoilers ahead...
    I'm in the mission where I'm supposed to steal the ship, but I can't survive the onslaught. I've solo'd the story all the way so far, but not that. That fight is brutal.

The game has a lot of chill parts where you can run around and shoot stuff, but some of the missions and strikes are freaking hard without a team.

Its probably why the game needs better communication tools, one of the biggest problems with the original destiny was that you had to socialise outside of the game on various forums/websites, it seems to be a lesson that Bungie hasn't yet learned from. :/
  • XxxusernametakenxxxXxxusernametakenxxx Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I don't agree with all the there should be a global chat stuff.  There is enough salt coming from reddit and bnet why would you want another venue for these idiots to spoil with their tears?

I can't remember the last time I had or saw a meaningful conversation take place on a video games global chat.  Global chats are almost as bad as forums these days.   The majority of players join a clan/guild or use matchmaking for group content in today's games.  Destiny 2 is also too fast paced for typing chat during strikes or raids so to be useful voice chat is the way to go and no chat would be better than typing as typing would just slow everyone down.  
    Phry said:
    Torval said:
    I hit level 18/183 last night.

I'm near the end and will need to recruit another player or two to finish out. Spoilers ahead...
    I'm in the mission where I'm supposed to steal the ship, but I can't survive the onslaught. I've solo'd the story all the way so far, but not that. That fight is brutal.

The game has a lot of chill parts where you can run around and shoot stuff, but some of the missions and strikes are freaking hard without a team.

Its probably why the game needs better communication tools, one of the biggest problems with the original destiny was that you had to socialise outside of the game on various forums/websites, it seems to be a lesson that Bungie hasn't yet learned from. :/
    Once or twice I had to refer to a guide for some puzzles but overall I hit twenty playing solo.  The best advice was to choose your cover very carefully, a lot of times I got through a difficult situation by tactical use of cover and jumping to find the best position to defend and attack from.  Most of the time you never have to stand on an exact spot to defend or protect something, it's ok to take up a position just outside the main combat area sometimes and let them come to you. I also did a lot of public events and didn't rush the story.  Just did Warlock now working on Hunter, both I like.